Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Women's Basketball Championship
Bookmark and Share
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
CUSA Women's Basketball Championship
WKU Lady Tops are looking like the equivalent of the MTSU Men's team. The Lady Tops have won both CUSA tournament games by an average of 25.5 points and will face a Southern Miss team that knocked off the MTSU women 59-54 in the semi's.

This should be a good game as USM women have won 12 of their last 13 games. Though that one slip up was a 26 point loss in Bowling Green to the Lady Tops.

Game is at 4:30 CT on CBS Sports.

The WKU women are currently being projected as a 12 seed in the Women's NCAA tournament.
03-11-2017 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUAlum92 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: CUSA Women's Basketball Championship
03-11-2017 01:05 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Man some of these people have got it BAD if they are betting on college womens' games.

GO LADY TOPS!!!
03-11-2017 02:39 PM
Franko Offline
1st String

(03-11-2017 11:58 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  WKU Lady Tops are looking like the equivalent of the MTSU Men's team. The Lady Tops have won both CUSA tournament games by an average of 25.5 points and will face a Southern Miss team that knocked off the MTSU women 59-54 in the semi's.

This should be a good game as USM women have won 12 of their last 13 games. Though that one slip up was a 26 point loss in Bowling Green to the Lady Tops.

The WKU women are currently being projected as a 12 seed in the Women's NCAA tournament.
I think they refer to it now as the UIT (UConn Invitational Tournament). They did get a scare from Tulane but that may have lit the fire.
03-11-2017 04:10 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

(03-11-2017 04:10 PM)Franko Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 11:58 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  WKU Lady Tops are looking like the equivalent of the MTSU Men's team. The Lady Tops have won both CUSA tournament games by an average of 25.5 points and will face a Southern Miss team that knocked off the MTSU women 59-54 in the semi's.

I think they refer to it now as the UIT (UConn Invitational Tournament). They did get a scare from Tulane but that may have lit the fire.

I used to watch the Women's NCAA tourney when they got down to the Final 4, but I stopped because of UConn.
03-11-2017 05:28 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

(03-11-2017 05:28 PM)topper1296 Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 04:10 PM)Franko Wrote:  

I used to watch the Women's NCAA tourney when they got down to the Final 4, but I stopped because of UConn.

They have to lose at some point. And it will be good TV when they do.
03-11-2017 06:14 PM
Advertisement

rawright1987 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
This is my first ever women's CBB game to actually attend. Why do both teams players carry towels onto the court when they check in and hand it to whom they are replacing?
03-11-2017 06:47 PM
Doots4Dawgs Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(03-11-2017 06:47 PM)rawright1987 Wrote:  This is my first ever women's CBB game to actually attend. Why do both teams players carry towels onto the court when they check in and hand it to whom they are replacing?

Ours does this as well I think (?). I can't remember for sure about this year, I know they did last year.
03-11-2017 06:49 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

(03-11-2017 06:47 PM)rawright1987 Wrote:  This is my first ever women's CBB game to actually attend. Why do both teams players carry towels onto the court when they check in and hand it to whom they are replacing?

A lot of men's team do the same thing. I remember some WKU men's teams doing it in the past.
03-11-2017 07:44 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

CONGRATS!!! WKU women 2017 C-USA CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-11-2017 09:38 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

Wow have never saw a spread on a women's game but they are just as good as setting spreads on women apparently as men....

WKU is rolling right now with another dominance performance tonight and first team in CUSA tournament history to win all 3 games by double digits....

Now come on selection committee can we just have for once a location WKU fans can go to for tourney....Not sure what our women have done or who they pissed off but with both the hoops team and volleyball teams, we have been shipped to California 3 times and Texas once last 4 years.....How about Louisville or Lexington for once? We should have beat Texas two seasons ago, can really see this team upset a team or two in tournament with right match up...Definitely do not want to see someone with a lot of height..
03-11-2017 09:46 PM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Turned out to be a pretty good game with a short, quick USM team making a run at it late. However, the best team won, and I will give Joye Lee McNeilis credit for doing probably the best coaching job ever in women's basketball if our conference.
03-12-2017 08:40 AM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle TN
Just two top-100 RPI teams in C-USA does nothing to help WKy's seeding/location hopes. Then again, playing Alamaba A&M and Lipscomb ultimately hurt the Lady Toppers as well. MCH has proven to be a great hire by Western. But she schedules like crap.

Charlie Creme has Western as a 12 seed in Lexington. Hard to imagine a better set up.
03-12-2017 09:39 AM
WKUApollo Online

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(03-12-2017 09:39 AM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  Just two top-100 RPI teams in C-USA does nothing to help WKy's seeding/location hopes. Then again, playing Alamaba A&M and Lipscomb ultimately hurt the Lady Toppers as well. MCH has proven to be a great hire by Western. But she schedules like crap.

Charlie Creme has Western as a 12 seed in Lexington. Hard to imagine a better set up.

Interestingly, WKU's SOS is #108 and MTSU's SOS is #110.
03-12-2017 09:50 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2017 06:49 PM)Doots4Dawgs Wrote:  

Ours does this as well I think (?). I can't remember for sure about this year, I know they did last year.

(03-12-2017 09:50 AM)WKUApollo Wrote:  
(03-12-2017 09:39 AM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  Just two top-100 RPI teams in C-USA does nothing to help WKy's seeding/location hopes. Then again, playing Alamaba A&M and Lipscomb ultimately hurt the Lady Toppers as well. MCH has proven to be a great hire by Western. But she schedules like crap.

03-lmfao
03-12-2017 10:03 AM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

That's funny. While Realtime puts MT's SOS at 108 and WKy's at 114, the point is made that the SOS are close.

I'm not sure what calculations are used to reach the SOS. But it's easy to see that MT having to play FAU (RPI 338) and FIU (310) twice in conference play while WKy played ODU (136) and Charlotte (121) twice dramatically affected things.

My point was in regards to non-conference scheduling, the only kind that is flexible for coaches. While Western and Middle both scheduled two top-20 RPI schools (Louisville and DePaul) and (UK and Louisville) and had several top-100 schools on the schedule, Western had five sub-200 squads on the OOC slate. Middle had two sub-200s. And they weren't schools that just had an "off year." Anyone could have predicted that Alabama A&M, Lipscomb and Charleston were going to be crap. You can have two crappy schools on the schedule (EKU and APSU) but you can't schedule five, especially when you know your team is going to be one of the two best in the league.

And why doesn't MCH schedule more P-5 schools? Western has faced 11 P-5 foes in her five years as head coach. Middle has faced 24 P-5 teams in that timeframe. Maybe MCH doesn't believe C-USA can be a two bid conference. Maybe she is content with putting all of her eggs into the league tournament. But the conference needs our top teams (Western, Middle, ODU, Charlotte, USM and La Tech) to schedule well. If all of those other teams can do, certainly WKy can too.
03-12-2017 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2017 01:22 PM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  

That's funny. While Realtime puts MT's SOS at 108 and WKy's at 114, the point is made that the SOS are close.

I'm not sure what calculations are used to reach the SOS. But it's easy to see that MT having to play FAU (RPI 338) and FIU (310) twice in conference play while WKy played ODU (136) and Charlotte (121) twice dramatically affected things.

My point was in regards to non-conference scheduling, the only kind that is flexible for coaches. While Western and Middle both scheduled two top-20 RPI schools (Louisville and DePaul) and (UK and Louisville) and had several top-100 schools on the schedule, Western had five sub-200 squads on the OOC slate. Middle had two sub-200s. And they weren't schools that just had an "off year." Anyone could have predicted that Alabama A&M, Lipscomb and Charleston were going to be crap. You can have two crappy schools on the schedule (EKU and APSU) but you can't schedule five, especially when you know your team is going to be one of the two best in the league.

And why doesn't MCH schedule more P-5 schools? Western has faced 11 P-5 foes in her five years as head coach. Middle has faced 24 P-5 teams in that timeframe. Maybe MCH doesn't believe C-USA can be a two bid conference. Maybe she is content with putting all of her eggs into the league tournament. But the conference needs our top teams (Western, Middle, ODU, Charlotte, USM and La Tech) to schedule well. If all of those other teams can do, certainly WKy can too.
Maybe she is having trouble scheduling P5's as home and home and doesnt want away games. Western is in the perfect spot for bigger teams to avoid.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 09:20 PM by Thegoldstandard.)
03-12-2017 09:19 PM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2017 09:19 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Maybe she is having trouble scheduling P5's as home and home and doesnt want away games. Western is in the perfect spot for bigger teams to avoid.

I don't buy that seeing as how the other top schools aren't having the same "trouble." Instead, the pattern clearly seems to be that MCH schedules a weaker OOC schedule packed with home games. That kind of schedule helps a team build confidence with some easy wins but it fails to boost an RPI. It's the kind of scheduling that will fail to draw any at-large consideration.

The past five years, it really hasn't mattered. Either WKy or MT has been the best team in the conference and the other hasn't performed well enough in OOC play, strong or weak, to build an at-large resume. But I want C-USA to grow into a multi-bid league like the Sun Belt was several times in the past decade. Obivously, you have to WIN your OOC games, something MT hasn't done in recent years. But those OOC games also need to be something worthy of at-large consideration which has not been the case at WKy for the most part under MCH.
03-13-2017 05:44 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2017 05:44 AM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  
(03-12-2017 09:19 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Maybe she is having trouble scheduling P5's as home and home and doesnt want away games. Western is in the perfect spot for bigger teams to avoid.

I don't buy that seeing as how the other top schools aren't having the same "trouble." Instead, the pattern clearly seems to be that MCH schedules a weaker OOC schedule packed with home games. That kind of schedule helps a team build confidence with some easy wins but it fails to boost an RPI. It's the kind of scheduling that will fail to draw any at-large consideration.

The past five years, it really hasn't mattered. Either WKy or MT has been the best team in the conference and the other hasn't performed well enough in OOC play, strong or weak, to build an at-large resume. But I want C-USA to grow into a multi-bid league like the Sun Belt was several times in the past decade. Obivously, you have to WIN your OOC games, something MT hasn't done in recent years. But those OOC games also need to be something worthy of at-large consideration which has not been the case at WKy for the most part under MCH.

RPI is 35th, you are really grasping at straws here....We played in a tournament with DePaul, Syracuse, Baylor, Kent, George Washington, one of the strongest fields for available to women.....We played Indiana at home, Everyone plays a team or two they can easily defeat at home...Two years ago that weak schedule you were talking about just about beat a higher seeded Texas team in NCAA tournament....This season if we play close to home and for instance play DePaul and then UK, I like our chances, both of those teams are beatable...
03-13-2017 09:36 AM
Stephen Shirley Offline
2nd String

(03-13-2017 09:36 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 05:44 AM)Stephen Shirley Wrote:  I don't buy that seeing as how the other top schools aren't having the same "trouble." Instead, the pattern clearly seems to be that MCH schedules a weaker OOC schedule packed with home games. That kind of schedule helps a team build confidence with some easy wins but it fails to boost an RPI. It's the kind of scheduling that will fail to draw any at-large consideration.

RPI is 35th, you are really grasping at straws here....We played in a tournament with DePaul, Syracuse, Baylor, Kent, George Washington, one of the strongest fields for available to women.....We played Indiana at home, Everyone plays a team or two they can easily defeat at home...Two years ago that weak schedule you were talking about just about beat a higher seeded Texas team in NCAA tournament....This season if we play close to home and for instance play DePaul and then UK, I like our chances, both of those teams are beatable...

It's not grasping at straws. MT and WKy are the only two C-USA teams with the year to year talent to consistently have a shot at an at-large bid entering each season. But due to weak scheduling from MCH in the OOC slate, WKy has had zero shot of a bid at the end of her five seasons. Do you think the Lady Toppers who have gotten into the NCAA tournament had they lost to USM in the final? Or in 2015 with a record of 30-4 but a 12 seed?

Western played in a tournament. Congrats. You played in the preseason NIT in 2014-15. But those tournaments alone aren't enough to overcome otherwise pathetic scheduling.

While everyone plays a game or two at home (or locally on the road against an old rival) that is absolutely a gimmee, not everyone pads their schedule with five such games like Western did.

I'm certainly not saying Western is a bad/weak team or that they don't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament. On the contrary, I am arguing that Western was clearly the best team coming into the season (and 2014-15) and should have scheduled more as a team playing on the national stage rather than one like Marshall just looking for cheap wins. Again, I WANT multiple teams to make the tournament. But the only way to earn an at-large bid is to beat top-75 teams. But you can't beat them if you don't schedule them. (Middle scheduled them. We just didn't beat them.)
03-14-2017 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.