Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

How to fix The AAC conference tourney attendance problem
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
MyBB How to fix The AAC conference tourney attendance problem
1st two rounds need to be on the higher seeds home floor. With the final four teams being on a neutral court. Or heck, just play all of them on the higher seeds floor. This would revolutionize the way all conference tournaments are handled. And would work great considering how much every conference is beginning to be so spread out now. So many empty seats at all of these conference tournaments. Even the power five. Such a shame that most fans are being shut out at the beginning of season with all of these neutral court preseason tournaments and also at the end of the season with conferences being so spread out.

The NIT in both the pre-season and postseason has it right. Let the teams and the fans enjoy a few more home games.
03-09-2017 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
RE: How to fix The AAC conference tourney attendance problem
1) Have good teams.
03-09-2017 09:03 PM
stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

I Root For: Memphis
(03-09-2017 09:03 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  1) Have good teams.

1b) don't put it in a city that's 600 miles away from the nearest school (excluding the host)
03-09-2017 09:37 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
You could get a ticket to today's afternoon session of the ACC for 6 bucks. UNC Duke and Loserville were in that session

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
03-09-2017 09:44 PM
Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
(03-09-2017 09:44 PM)fsquid Wrote:  You could get a ticket to today's afternoon session of the ACC for 6 bucks. UNC Duke and Loserville were in that session

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app

But it was quite a few more than 300 there.
03-10-2017 12:27 AM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Umm, this isn't an us problem.
03-10-2017 12:30 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(03-09-2017 09:37 PM)stratecashomie Wrote:  

1b) don't put it in a city that's 600 miles away from the nearest school (excluding the host)

About 200 miles from Philly.

AAC knows that each team won't bring more than 20-100 fans regardless where it's located hence why the local team has to sell about 95% of all ticket sales.
03-10-2017 06:28 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(03-10-2017 06:28 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

AAC knows that each team won't bring more than 20-100 fans regardless where it's located hence why the local team has to sell about 95% of all ticket sales.

I do not think that is accurate for Memphis. When we had good teams, we traveled in solid numbers - especially to a destination like NOLA.
03-10-2017 08:13 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(03-10-2017 08:13 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

I do not think that is accurate for Memphis. When we had good teams, we traveled in solid numbers - especially to a destination like NOLA.

Memphis hosted the CUSA Tournament most years and the 2014 AAC Tourn...and last year, outside a few dozen folks from the Villages, Memphis didn't have many fans in Orlando.

Most AAC Fans will not take a 5 day vacation to attend the AAC Tournament if its located out of town. (Heck, most AAC Fans don't attend their own team's HOME GAMES, let alone a tournament that is most likely located hundreds of miles away).

That's why ticket sales for this tournament almost solely fall on the local team as host...and maybe the best case will be after its held in Orlando next year, move it to Cinci's new "right size" 11,500 Arena with seats right on top of the court that should get STRONG support from the home team to sell all tournament passes.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 08:22 AM by KnightLight.)
03-10-2017 08:21 AM
flynavy_soup Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I've never understood why conference tournaments require games every day. Ideas like BIGDTiger's are doable if there's a travel day before semi, and a travel day before finals. I'd love to see Friday semi and Sunday finals on a neutral court. If NCAA's can make it happen playing every other day, why can't conferences?

NTR, but there's almost no point in playing a regular season if you're in a small conference--- win every game and you're still on the bubble (Illinois St) unless you win the conference tourney on a neutral court. Maybe a bye all the way to the championship or guaranteed home court advantage for some of those teams?
03-10-2017 08:25 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

Obviously, the AAC banked on UConn living up to their top 20 preseason expectations. They moved the tourney from Orlando to Hartford last year.
03-10-2017 10:09 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2017 08:25 AM)flynavy_soup Wrote:  I've never understood why conference tournaments require games every day. Ideas like BIGDTiger's are doable if there's a travel day before semi, and a travel day before finals. I'd love to see Friday semi and Sunday finals on a neutral court. If NCAA's can make it happen playing every other day, why can't conferences?

NTR, but there's almost no point in playing a regular season if you're in a small conference--- win every game and you're still on the bubble (Illinois St) unless you win the conference tourney on a neutral court. Maybe a bye all the way to the championship or guaranteed home court advantage for some of those teams?

There's a bit of a push to give the regular season champ a bye all the way to the finals for this very reason. GP also wants to spot the champ 10 points at the start of the championship game, but I think that's a bit much. I mean, with scheduling these days, you could have a 3-way tie for 1st and it comes down to the 4th tiebreaker. That would be way too much advantage in that situation.
03-10-2017 10:15 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Not sure that's true. When the top dogs are playing good, they travel pretty well to these things. UConn, Cincy, Memphis. I went to a lot of conference tourneys in Memphis. Those teams travel pretty well - as did a few others like Tulsa.

Bottom feeders - UCF (historically), USF, ECU, Tulane - they will have 20 fans there.

I think the first 2 rounds on home courts is a fine idea. Wrap-up the regular season by Thursday. Start on Monday. Travel on Tuesday. Play on Wednesday. Travel on Thursday. Wrap it up at a "neutral" location over the weekend.
03-10-2017 10:19 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
(03-10-2017 08:21 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:13 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

Memphis hosted the CUSA Tournament most years and the 2014 AAC Tourn...and last year, outside a few dozen folks from the Villages, Memphis didn't have many fans in Orlando.

Most AAC Fans will not take a 5 day vacation to attend the AAC Tournament if its located out of town. (Heck, most AAC Fans don't attend their own team's HOME GAMES, let alone a tournament that is most likely located hundreds of miles away).

That's why ticket sales for this tournament almost solely fall on the local team as host...and maybe the best case will be after its held in Orlando next year, move it to Cinci's new "right size" 11,500 Arena with seats right on top of the court that should get STRONG support from the home team to sell all tournament passes.

There were hundreds of Memphis fans in Orlando last year, tons more than any number of UCF fans we have ever seen here.

With that...have no issues with higher seeds hosting games. Make it more fun.
03-10-2017 10:37 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(03-10-2017 10:15 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:25 AM)flynavy_soup Wrote:  I've never understood why conference tournaments require games every day. Ideas like BIGDTiger's are doable if there's a travel day before semi, and a travel day before finals. I'd love to see Friday semi and Sunday finals on a neutral court. If NCAA's can make it happen playing every other day, why can't conferences?

There's a bit of a push to give the regular season champ a bye all the way to the finals for this very reason. GP also wants to spot the champ 10 points at the start of the championship game, but I think that's a bit much. I mean, with scheduling these days, you could have a 3-way tie for 1st and it comes down to the 4th tiebreaker. That would be way too much advantage in that situation.

It is good that GP generated a conversation but the full bye to the finals is too much and the 10 point spot is just absurd.

For example, in the Southern Conference, three teams tied for 1st at 14-4 in conference. Like 87 noted, that would be way too much.

In another situation, a team loses their two best players to injury for an extended period and ends up finishing a game out of first. If is right for them to be penalized that much?
03-10-2017 11:16 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

It's weird to bemoan the unforeseen outcomes of conference tourneys while touting the excitement of the "madness" of a 14 seed beating a 3 in the Big Dance.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 11:17 AM by salukiblue.)
03-10-2017 11:17 AM
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
topless halftime show.
03-10-2017 11:32 AM
airric2255 Offline
Special Teams

I think Dallas deserves a chance to host. Best cities likely are Memphis, Dallas, New Orleans and Cincinnati.
03-10-2017 12:25 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2017 12:25 PM)airric2255 Wrote:  I think Dallas deserves a chance to host. Best cities likely are Memphis, Dallas, New Orleans and Cincinnati.

Heck, throw in Tampa and Orlando. But not UConn. Who is going to take off in March to go to CT?
03-10-2017 01:08 PM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Pretty simple: put it in a city that will show up.
03-10-2017 01:10 PM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.