Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
LetsGoUC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Can SMU keep Jankovich?
I sure hope so. The league so far has done a good job of keeping their basketball coaches after they have some success (Ollie, Cronin, Sampson). From SMU fans, is there a sense that he is looking? I'm sure Ohio State, Oklahoma, Indiana, NC State will be contacting him. No question.

I hope the donors at SMU can $PonyUp$ for him.

I'll add, when he left the MVC he thought he was going to the Big East. As did Temple when they left the A-10. Now they are both in a league that is arguably on the same level as the MVC and A-10...something to think about...
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 01:11 PM by LetsGoUC.)
02-28-2017 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

RE: Can SMU keep Jankovich?
(02-28-2017 01:07 PM)LetsGoUC Wrote:  I sure hope so. The league so far has done a good job of keeping their basketball coaches after they have some success (Ollie, Cronin, Sampson). From SMU fans, is there a sense that he is looking? I'm sure Ohio State, Oklahoma, Indiana, NC State will be contacting him. No question.

I'll add, when he left the MVC he thought he was going to the Big East. As did Temple when they left the A-10. Now they are both in a league that is arguably on the same level as the MVC and A-10...something to think about...

I'd be very surprised if another school could lure him away. Sampson at Houston would be a more likely departure IMO.
02-28-2017 01:15 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(02-28-2017 01:15 PM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  I'd be very surprised if another school could lure him away. Sampson at Houston would be a more likely departure IMO.

Funny - last night at his coaches show, Sampson said he wanted to stay at Houston "as long as they will have me." He talked about building the program brick by brick. He's very excited about the new arena coming in 2018. He loves coming to work at the new $25M basketball development center. He loves coming to work with his son every day. Even his daughter works at UH now.

I think he likes the American conference too. He's got a ton of respect for SMU, Cincy, Tulsa, UConn, UCF and Temple. And of course Memphis: One of his best friends is Tubby Smith. They vacation together. They worked together at the same HS in North Carolina 40 years ago.

I guess things could change. He might get an offer he can't refuse if he takes UH to a Sweet 16 or something.

And I could see him getting frustrated with the Houston fan base if we don't provide a home court advantage to him in the new arena.

But he's lived in Houston quite awhile now and his family seems to enjoy it. Still maintains his friendships with Harden and the Rockets players.
02-28-2017 01:29 PM
shadowman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Nothing really being mentioned so far. All indications are that SMU will offer him an extension with substantial pay increase after the season is over.

As far as a more attractive program offering him a job this year, I don't see it. I think he needs to prove his recruiting ability without Larry Brown's coattails for a season or two more.
02-28-2017 01:45 PM
LetsGoUC Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-28-2017 01:45 PM)shadowman Wrote:  Nothing really being mentioned so far. All indications are that SMU will offer him an extension with substantial pay increase after the season is over.

As far as a more attractive program offering him a job this year, I don't see it. I think he needs to prove his recruiting ability without Larry Brown's coattails for a season or two more.

Thanks for the insight.

Any idea what he's making now? At the beginning of the year they only said that his new contract was for five years and is in the "upper echelon" of the AAC.
02-28-2017 01:51 PM
Pony94 Online

Jank was making $850,000 as the head coach in waiting and surely doubled that when he became head coach. Larry was offered $3,000,000 a year before he quit so I imagine Jank will get a nice raise.
02-28-2017 02:22 PM
Advertisement

mustang1992 Offline
Water Engineer

(02-28-2017 01:07 PM)LetsGoUC Wrote:  I sure hope so. The league so far has done a good job of keeping their basketball coaches after they have some success (Ollie, Cronin, Sampson). From SMU fans, is there a sense that he is looking? I'm sure Ohio State, Oklahoma, Indiana, NC State will be contacting him. No question.

This is a hot topic on the SMU MB, but I will say here what I said there. He is doing well with house money, but until he has proven he can recruit - why would a name program look at him? I think he has shown this year he can do well with in-game coaching and making adjustments to what he has been given.
02-28-2017 02:25 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(02-28-2017 02:25 PM)mustang1992 Wrote:  

This is a hot topic on the SMU MB, but I will say here what I said there. He is doing well with house money, but until he has proven he can recruit - why would a name program look at him? I think he has shown this year he can do well with in-game coaching and making adjustments to what he has been given.

I was about to say this. Seems to me if you're Indiana or someone, you want to see a few years of recruiting and sustained results.
02-28-2017 02:53 PM
LetsGoUC Offline
Bench Warmer

I agree. Also, for whatever reason, basketball coaching moves are different than college football. We all KNOW that a successful coach in this conference is GONE in football. period. gone. Not so in basketball.

Greg Marshall and Archie Miller are only two of many examples of highly successful coaches who have stayed at small conference programs. Can you name....um....any in college football?
02-28-2017 02:53 PM
Pony94 Online

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
People forget Jank has a long history with SMU.
02-28-2017 03:31 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(02-28-2017 02:53 PM)LetsGoUC Wrote:  

I agree. Also, for whatever reason, basketball coaching moves are different than college football. We all KNOW that a successful coach in this conference is GONE in football. period. gone. Not so in basketball.

Greg Marshall and Archie Miller are only two of many examples of highly successful coaches who have stayed at small conference programs. Can you name....um....any in college football?

Gary Patterson. Of course, he stayed long enough for it to be a Big 12 job.
02-28-2017 03:45 PM
Advertisement

lollaperuna Offline
Special Teams

(02-28-2017 02:53 PM)LetsGoUC Wrote:  

That's because there is a ceiling in football for the have nots, but in basketball anyone can win a national title.
02-28-2017 03:55 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

He landed in a Top 20 program (yes, he obviously helped Larry build it up) that can match probably all but the salaries from 4-5 schools...so I think the odds of keeping him are pretty darn high...as Basketball IS the sport at SMU...and their Billionaires will probably do everything they can to keep him.

NOTE: Outside of this first year at SMU...he has a conf record of 83-77 at his 2 previous stops.

Certainly seems that being under Larry the last few years, SMU has been good for his career.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 04:06 PM by KnightLight.)
02-28-2017 04:02 PM
Stallion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Jank has the greatest resume in College Basketball History coaching for about 5-6 Hall of Famers (now or in future). He probably learned a lot at all his stops including (just scratching surface):

Larry Brown
Bill Self
Jack Hartman
Eddie Sutton
Lon Krueger
Kevin Stallings
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 04:39 PM by Stallion.)
02-28-2017 04:31 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Can SMU keep Jankovich?
I would be worried about an opening at Kansas State. We are a better program than they are, but Jank is a KSU alum.

I think talk about NCSU or Indiana is just that: talk
02-28-2017 06:11 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
(02-28-2017 04:31 PM)Stallion Wrote:  Jank has the greatest resume in College Basketball History

No. Coach K with 1000+ wins does
02-28-2017 06:12 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
(02-28-2017 06:11 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  I would be worried about an opening at Kansas State. We are a better program than they are, but Jank is a KSU alum.

Where does his ex wife work?
02-28-2017 06:26 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
(02-28-2017 06:26 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 06:11 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  I would be worried about an opening at Kansas State. We are a better program than they are, but Jank is a KSU alum.

Where does his ex wife work?

Dairy Whip?
02-28-2017 06:27 PM
Pony94 Online

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
She quit to stay at Kansas State
02-28-2017 06:32 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

Can SMU keep Jankovich?
(02-28-2017 06:32 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  She quit to stay at Kansas State

When are we gonna open the Dairy Whip Little Apple location?
02-28-2017 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.