Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SMU UNT series ending 4 years early.
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation SMU UNT series ending 4 years early.
SMU and North Texas had a H&H series football series scheduled until 2025. Today SMU announced that the series will end in 2021-4 years early.

Cheers!
02-27-2017 11:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: SMU UNT series ending 4 years early.
(02-27-2017 11:32 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  SMU and North Texas had a H&H series football series scheduled until 2025. Today SMU announced that the series will end in 2021-4 years early.

Cheers!

Hopefully to get a p6 team?
02-27-2017 11:50 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-27-2017 11:50 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(02-27-2017 11:32 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  SMU and North Texas had a H&H series football series scheduled until 2025. Today SMU announced that the series will end in 2021-4 years early.

Cheers!

Hopefully to get a p6 team?

Hopefully. The series was too long and SMU was getting 3 or 4 big time teams a season in the CUSA days. OOC schedules with TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor and another Big 12 team were common. The long H&H series with UNT was unnecessary because it wasn't a historical rivalry game.

Cheers!
02-28-2017 12:05 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I always thought the series as originally announced seemed overly long.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 12:34 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-28-2017 12:34 AM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
UNT really should be better than they are.
02-28-2017 05:17 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
the OP of this thread is incorrect the series had not been cut short it in fact has been extended and there is still a chance that it could go until 2025

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2017/0...-smu.html/

the original agreement was for a 4 year series with an agreement to block out dates for 8 years after that and then revisit the series in a few years and see if they would extend it again

the first 4 years had ended and 4 ADDITIONAL years were agreed to so now 8 of the 12 have been contracted and there is as of now nothing that says the additional final 4 years will not be completed down the road

and even if they are not agreed to there was never a contract in place for those years just an agreement to have dates open and to discuss additional years

so the contract has been extended not ended early and there is nothing that prevents them from eventually agreeing to the final 4 years

(02-28-2017 05:17 AM)vcoog Wrote:  UNT really should be better than they are.

why should they be better than they are they have had decades of terrible university (academic) and athletics leadership and the leadership in place was actually opposed to investing in athletics for decades and did all they could to hold the program back

they have have an even longer history of fan and alumni apathy and terrible financial and fan support from alumni

and even now they still have a very low budget and terrible fan and alumni financial support and while they have new facilities those facilities were built to catch up to the very lowest level of G5 programs while other G5 programs are continuing to invest more and put more distance on north Texas state

just because you are a large catch all university on the edge of a major metro area that does not mean you can just roll total crap out there and have success

that is like saying that SJSU ot similar programs should be better than the are....in spite of the fact that they have never given a bit of effort to actually try and compete especially back during the period when athletic programs were easier to build and sustain unlike now where you have either reached a level you can compete with or you are probably going to always be a body bag with a few good seasons mixed in occasionally
02-28-2017 08:49 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I hear Stone Cold Steve Austin is headed to Dallas to drink some beer and open up a can of whip arse on the SMU AD.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 09:08 AM by CliftonAve.)
02-28-2017 09:06 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Less g4's. Good for you SMU
02-28-2017 09:14 AM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
I like the series with UNT, since they are in the metroplex and are well attended (for SMU). We can still add an Arkansas, LSU, A&M, OSU down the line when we are better or another B12 (if they will play us) along with TCU. But for now UNT is a good OOC game for our anemic attendance.
02-28-2017 12:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(02-28-2017 12:00 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  I like the series with UNT, since they are in the metroplex and are well attended (for SMU). We can still add an Arkansas, LSU, A&M, OSU down the line when we are better or another B12 (if they will play us) along with TCU. But for now UNT is a good OOC game for our anemic attendance.

Are they that much better attended? It looks like some of the better attendance is simply because its early in the season and fans are still full of hope (vs later season games where the team has lost a lot of games). Liberty, an FCS team, attracted 22K to Ford for the 3rd game of the season last year. N Texas, and FBS team, attracted 25K in game 2 of the season. Most of the difference there I'd think is the difference in interest between FCS and FBS.

You guys might do just as well (if not better) rotating that game with regional schools like Rice, UTSA, Texas St, and LaTech (along with N Tx). That said, maybe it will develop over time into a real rivalry that attracts Iron Skillet type capacity crowds in the future.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 12:29 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-28-2017 12:26 PM
Stallion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
25,000 is better than any SMU AAC Conference home game since SMU entered the conference I believe-UH would be the only game exception. Some of these attendance figures are so inflated its hard to tell but NTSU has brought substantial number of fans to Ford-although it seems to affected by kick-off time.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 01:45 PM by Stallion.)
02-28-2017 01:42 PM
Advertisement

Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

I Root For: HOUSTON
SMU gets all these games against Texas B12 teams...how does that happen?

Is SMU submitting to 1-for2s with those schools?
02-28-2017 02:03 PM
Stallion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Tradition, long term SWC rivalries, small travel expenses, easy win in the past, large Dallas alumni bases for A&M, Baylor, TCU, Tech and formerly Arkansas. I bet there are a lot of Big 12 alumni that wished SMU was a member rather than Baylor because of the convenience to their fans of playing in Dallas rather than Waco
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 02:36 PM by Stallion.)
02-28-2017 02:35 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(02-28-2017 02:03 PM)Hymie Weiss Wrote:  SMU gets all these games against Texas B12 teams...how does that happen?

Is SMU submitting to 1-for2s with those schools?

Between Baylor, TCU, and Texas A&M, SMU is putting together some decent schedules. If they are ever good in the next few years, it won't be hard to get ranked.

I don't understand why it isn't already a regular thing for Houston. You have tons of quality opponents in your backyard. Go talk to them. (not Texas State)
02-28-2017 02:59 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Problem B12 has with us and Houston is losing recruits. Houston was really doing well in Texas and we are doing better than we have been for years. Now able to pick more what we need rather than settling. Losing to either of us does hurt them to some extent as long as we keep hiring quality coaches, therefore why chance a loss. Love the AAC. Power Up 6.
02-28-2017 05:13 PM
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
Texas Tech is the only P5 in Texas that will play us. A new series starts this coming season.

A&M is never going to play us with Sumlin as their coach. They likely won't play us regardless. UT is never going to play us because they hate us, always have and always will. There's no point in signing with Baylor. They didn't want to play us when they hired Briles away and we don't want to play them now because they rape women and think that's ok.
03-01-2017 12:25 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
We really need to limit our exposure to the G4's as much as possible so I think this is a great move.
03-01-2017 06:08 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(03-01-2017 12:25 AM)CornellCoog Wrote:  Texas Tech is the only P5 in Texas that will play us. A new series starts this coming season.

A&M is never going to play us with Sumlin as their coach. They likely won't play us regardless. UT is never going to play us because they hate us, always have and always will. There's no point in signing with Baylor. They didn't want to play us when they hired Briles away and we don't want to play them now because they rape women and think that's ok.

Hatred is what makes a great game. You think Saban and Malzahn make out after the Iron Bowl every year?
03-01-2017 09:09 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(03-01-2017 12:25 AM)CornellCoog Wrote:  Texas Tech is the only P5 in Texas that will play us. A new series starts this coming season.

Coaching staff have nothing to do with us not playing A&M or Baylor. They are the only SWC (and Arkansas if you want to go there) who haven't played us post breakup of the SWC.

The administration sets the schedule. I'm sure coaches at schools voice their opinion but in the end its not their call.

Texas Tech: 2 times since the SWC (plus the upcoming series)
TCU: 5 times since the SWC (including 1 Bowl Game)
SMU: 13 times wince the SWC
Rice: 15 times since the SWC (plus the upcoming series)
Texas: 3 times since the SWC

Arkansas: No games sine SWC exit
A&M: No games since the SWC
Baylor: No games since the SWC
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 09:51 AM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
03-01-2017 09:45 AM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-28-2017 02:35 PM)Stallion Wrote:  Tradition, long term SWC rivalries, small travel expenses, easy win in the past, large Dallas alumni bases for A&M, Baylor, TCU, Tech and formerly Arkansas. I bet there are a lot of Big 12 alumni that wished SMU was a member rather than Baylor because of the convenience to their fans of playing in Dallas rather than Waco

Yep plus recruiting
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 09:54 AM by SMUmustangs.)
03-01-2017 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.