Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Allegations Released Against Ole Miss
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Allegations Released Against Ole Miss
It's a long list of some fairly hefty allegations but the headliner is an allegation of lack of institutional control.
02-22-2017 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Allegations Released Against Ole Miss
Rest of the league and some of the country have just been waiting for this day for quite some time.

Ole Miss already self imposed a post season ban for this season

Let's see if Huge Freezes is still coaching this fall.
02-22-2017 07:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-22-2017 07:17 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Rest of the league and some of the country have just been waiting for this day for quite some time.

Ole Miss came out with a statement denying his part in this and intend to back him the way Louisville is backing Pitino.
02-22-2017 07:24 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

The punishment should be harsh. Lack of institutional control is huge. One year is not enough.
02-22-2017 08:53 PM
Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
(02-22-2017 07:17 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Rest of the league and some of the country have just been waiting for this day for quite some time.

Unless something comes out like Freeze directly paid players I think he'll still be there this fall. I just can't see Ole Miss firing him over this. Are there any decent NFL co-coordinator positions still available? I could definitely see him jumping to the NFL so he doesn't have to deal with the mess at Ole Miss.

They've already got some reduced scholarships from what came out last year, and they're now doing a bowl ban for this upcoming season - I could see a few more scholarships get reduced and another year or two on the bowl ban becoming a possibility. If Hugh has a chance to go to the NFL or another P5 team I think he takes it. I just don't think he'll get that opportunity until the end of next season.
02-23-2017 08:51 AM
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin

Yeah I don't think it comes as a surprise to any of us. Funny thing is what did they get out of all of this? Some wins over Alabama and a Peach Bowl appearance resulting in a 42-3 blowout loss.
02-23-2017 09:01 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(02-23-2017 09:01 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

Yeah I don't think it comes as a surprise to any of us. Funny thing is what did they get out of all of this? Some wins over Alabama and a Peach Bowl appearance resulting in a 42-3 blowout loss.

Not condoning cheating at all, but as a TN fan, "some wins over Alabama" isn't nothing.
02-23-2017 09:45 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(02-23-2017 09:45 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

Not condoning cheating at all, but as a TN fan, "some wins over Alabama" isn't nothing.

Two things doomed Ole Miss. 1. When he got his top recruiting class the dirt dumb recruits took selfies and plastered them on face book. The pictures they took of each other showed them holding and waiving a hand full of $100 bills. 2. Laremy Tunsil comes out on NFL draft night and tells the world on national television that he got paid to play at Ole Miss. If that's not a loss of control by the institution I don't know what is! Even worse it left the NCAA with a big pie in its face. They simply had to do something.

Now Ole Miss people can argue that Hugh Freeze is a great coach if they like, but how do you run a crooked program that doesn't constantly emphasize to the players that if you get a questionable benefit you keep your mouth shut about it? It's no different than USC giving Reggie Bush's parents an expensive L.A. apartment, or the old days of car gifts. In fact what Ole Miss is accused of giving is far less in most cases so it's hardly the worst offense. But it is definitely the most publicized offense of payola I can remember in NCAA sports.

My point here is that Hugh and his guys have run this operation like the former high school coaches that they are. His X's and O's might be fine, but he obviously was promoted too fast to learn what and how the other programs were doing to gain recruits, and he certainly hasn't been in the top ranks long enough to learn how to be discreet. As a result he now has damaged one of the earning units of SEC revenue and therefore has affected the bottom line for all of us. Furthermore he has negatively drawn the attention of the nation and NCAA back into our area of the country and has by himself destroyed all of the harmony and great PR that Slive brought to our conference.

We should fire his stupid sorry butt for that if for nothing else. I've got nothing for him and hope he fries! The SEC is the top conference in the nation. You don't stay the top conference in the nation when you let people this stupid become the face of one of your programs.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 03:36 PM by JRsec.)
02-23-2017 10:48 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(02-23-2017 10:48 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-23-2017 09:45 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

Two things doomed Ole Miss. 1. When he got his top recruiting class the dirt dumb recruits took selfies and plastered them on face book. The pictures they took of each other showed them holding and waiving a hand full of $100 bills. 2. Laremy Tunsil comes out on NFL draft night and tells the world on national television that he got paid to play at Ole Miss. If that's not a loss of control by the institution I don't know what is! Even worse it left the NCAA with a big pie in its face. They simply had to do something.

Now Ole Miss people can argue that Hugh Freeze is a great coach if they like, but how do you run a crooked program that doesn't constantly emphasize to the players that if you get a questionable benefit you keep your mouth shut about it? It's no different than USC giving Reggie Bush's parents an expensive L.A. apartment, or the old days of car gifts. In fact what Ole Miss is accused of giving is far less in most cases so it's hardly the worst offense. But it is definitely the most publicized offense of payola I can remember in NCAA sports.

My point here is that Hugh and his guys have run this operation like the former high school coaches that they are. His X's and O's might be fine, but he obviously was promoted too fast to learn what and how the other programs were doing to gain recruits, and he certainly hasn't been in the top ranks long enough to learn how to be discreet. As a result he now has damaged one of the earning units of SEC revenue and therefore has affected the bottom line for all of us. Furthermore he has negatively drawn the attention of the nation and NCAA back into our area of the country and has by himself destroyed all of the harmony and great PR that Slive brought to our conference.

We should fire his stupid sorry butt for that if for nothing else. I've got nothing for him and hope he fries! The SEC is the top conference in the nation. You don't stay the top conference in the nation when you let people this stupid become the face of one of your programs.

Don't firevFreeze for bringing shame to the SEC, punish him for cheating and only Ole Miss will decide how to handle that.
02-23-2017 04:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.