Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WSJ: How Ditching Football Saved Big East Basketball
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
WSJ: How Ditching Football Saved Big East Basketball
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-ditchin...4?mod=e2tw

Some excellent quotes in the story from Brian Shanley (Rev. President at Providence), Val Ackermann, Greg McDermott, and Jay Bilas from the Wall Street Journal today on the current success of the Big East, the huge gamble that the C7 took in splitting from football schools, and the payoff the conference received in new additions (Butler, Creighton, Xavier), keeping Madison Square Garden and the Big East name, and the TV deal with Fox.
02-20-2017 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: WSJ: How Ditching Football Saved Big East Basketball
Wasn't much of a gamble. They already knew how much they were getting before they left. They were basically paid to leave. Not much of a gamble at all. That said, that's what they really wanted and it has worked out very well for the Catholic 7.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 02:14 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-20-2017 08:16 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Not just the Big East.

The best thing that ever happened to the A-10 was when the CAA 'stole' the football league from the A-10.
02-20-2017 08:18 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
It is the best thing for the football schools dropped the train wreck of the Big East basketball schools. Basketball alone would not bring in as much money as football could.
02-20-2017 08:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Correction: It saved catholic basketball.

Look at a school like Nova.

They were buried under the weight of the big schools like Syracuse and UConn. It wasn't until the big dogs left that Villanova won a "Big East" Championship again.
02-20-2017 08:46 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
can someone c/p the article text to my inbox 03-wink
02-20-2017 08:54 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
It is an odd title if you think about it.

"Saving" really is the wrong word.

If the Original Big East would have lasted, with both the football schools and basketball schools after Houston et al came in, (if history would've played out like it has) that group would have 2 basketball National Championships between UConn and Nova and 2 NY6 Championships between Houston and UCF... not to mention the UConn Women's 100+ win run.

That would trump the C7+3 by a considerable margin.

As I said, it saved Catholic hoops. Schools that got less play with the big city schools have been able to have more spotlight.

The premise of that title is really missing the mark.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 09:05 PM by BigEastHomer.)
02-20-2017 09:02 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Color me not impressed. Talk about not biting the hand that fed you.

It was the likes of those tuuuuurrible football schools (Syracuse, Louisville, UCONN, etc) that made the Big East relevant the past two decades before the split.
02-20-2017 09:11 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
(02-20-2017 08:46 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Correction: It saved catholic basketball.

They were buried under the weight of the big schools like Syracuse and UConn. It wasn't until the big dogs left that Villanova won a "Big East" Championship again.

And if you look at the total body of work since the split, who has been the "big dog" between Nova, Cuse and UCONN? Homer you're too predictable, any minutiae related to the AAC has you doing summersaults, anything positive about the BE sends you into convulsions. Time to get over it.
02-20-2017 09:12 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(02-20-2017 09:12 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 08:46 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Correction: It saved catholic basketball.

And if you look at the total body of work since the split, who has been the "big dog" between Nova, Cuse and UCONN? Homer you're too predictable, any minutiae related to the AAC has you doing summersaults, anything positive about the BE sends you into convulsions. Time to get over it.

Since the split each conference has 1 MBB National Championship. Sounds pretty even to me.
02-20-2017 09:19 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

(02-20-2017 09:19 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

Since the split each conference has 1 MBB National Championship. Sounds pretty even to me.

Husky, I like UCONN and don't harbor any ill will toward you guys. But Nova has consistently been living in the top five these past few years, while UCONN has rarely been ranked. I fully understand UCONN may well bounce back and soon become the force once again we've all been accustomed to. But since the split, obviously Nova has had the upper hand.
02-20-2017 09:25 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(02-20-2017 09:25 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  

Husky, I like UCONN and don't harbor any ill will toward you guys. But Nova has consistently been living in the top five these past few years, while UCONN has rarely been ranked. I fully understand UCONN may well bounce back and soon become the force once again we've all been accustomed to. But since the split, obviously Nova has had the upper hand.

That is true, but no one remembers all those wins when you can't translate it to a Final Four/National Championship. Look at Gonzaga. I also don't mind the NBE. I think it is a quality conference, but it has continued to under-perform when it matters the most (the big dance) with the exception of Nova last year. Like I said, Nova has been great, but the rest of the conference hasn't really performed well when it matters the most.
02-20-2017 09:41 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

(02-20-2017 09:41 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

That is true, but no one remembers all those wins when you can't translate it to a Final Four/National Championship. Look at Gonzaga. I also don't mind the NBE. I think it is a quality conference, but it has continued to under-perform when it matters the most (the big dance) with the exception of Nova last year. Like I said, Nova has been great, but the rest of the conference hasn't really performed well when it matters the most.

That's the perception, but I honestly feel the regular season is a better measure of a teams quality. I'm sure you remember a few years ago, when you won the championship, you were trailing St Joe's with something like 30 seconds to go. Although you beat an impressive string of teams to win the title, that close call in the first game, almost ended it all right then and there. A 30 plus game schedule doesn't get skewed by one off game. But I get your point, all people seem to remember is how far they got in the tournament. But just because Duke as a 2 seed lost in the first round to Mercer in 2014 and Lehigh in 2012, doesn't mean they didn't have a good team those years.
02-20-2017 09:55 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

The thing is that the post-season is full of the best-of-the-best. They either earned their ticket through an at-large bid through having a great season or an auto-bid by beating the best in their conference when everything was on the line. IMO it's more impressive to win 6 games in the NCAA tourney (at crunch time against the best of the best in CBB) than racking up all those regular season wins against very good but not necessarily great competition.
02-20-2017 10:08 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

If you win six games in the tournament, that trumps everything. No argument there.
02-20-2017 10:12 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

The sample size is way too small to say anything. Nova and UConn have titles and Syracuse has a FF (despite the sanctions) - all in the last 3? years. There are ups and downs, sure, but all of the schools have done something big in basketball.

And it's not like those schools came out of nowhere, either. All 3 schools made FF's or won NC's in the '00's.

You will have a point when Prov, DePaul, St. John's, or Seton Hall contends for a title again, but color me unpersuaded until that point.
02-20-2017 10:15 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(02-20-2017 10:15 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

The sample size is way too small to say anything. Nova and UConn have titles and Syracuse has a FF (despite the sanctions) - all in the last 3? years. There are ups and downs, sure, but all of the schools have done something big in basketball.

And it's not like those schools came out of nowhere, either. All 3 schools made FF's or won NC's in the '00's.

You will have a point when Prov, DePaul, St. John's, or Seton Hall contends for a title again, but color me unpersuaded until that point.
I think UCONN might need a restraining order. Your ex won't stop. Lol07-coffee3
02-20-2017 10:29 PM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(02-20-2017 10:29 PM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 09:12 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  And if you look at the total body of work since the split, who has been the "big dog" between Nova, Cuse and UCONN? Homer you're too predictable, any minutiae related to the AAC has you doing summersaults, anything positive about the BE sends you into convulsions. Time to get over it.

But maybe their scared that without you guys Their sh!t ratings will catch up with them before the predictable downturn happens.lol05-stirthepot
02-20-2017 10:33 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

You can pretty much point to any conference, and pick out the bottom few teams and say the same thing. The fact B.C. isn't likely to be in the final four in our lifetime isn't a reflection on the ACC is it?
02-20-2017 10:41 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

(02-20-2017 10:33 PM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 10:29 PM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 09:19 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Since the split each conference has 1 MBB National Championship. Sounds pretty even to me.

But maybe their scared that without you guys Their sh!t ratings will catch up with them before the predictable downturn happens.lol05-stirthepot

BEH, it wouldn't be a thread mentioning the BE, without you piping in with your obsession. You make it way too easy to spot you, no matter how many different screen names you use, your psychotic ramblings are so easy to detect. LOL keep on with it, you're the best entertainment around here.
02-20-2017 10:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.