Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

John Calipari goes on rant about firings (Upset about Gottfried and Antigua firings)
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
John Calipari goes on rant about firings (Upset about Gottfried and Antigua firings)
Former Memphis Coach Cal went on a rant about firings. Is there any doubt he's referring to his buddy Antigua when he talks about mid-season firings? 03-lmfao

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 01:41 PM by BigEastHomer.)
02-19-2017 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
RE: John Calipari goes on rant about firings (Upset about Gottfried.. and Antigua firing)
You're quickly overtaking Purplereigns as the king of pointless threads
02-19-2017 01:43 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: John Calipari goes on rant about firings (Upset about Gottfried and Antigua firings)
(02-19-2017 01:43 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  You're quickly overtaking Purplereigns as the king of pointless threads

Lol! Getting jealous that this wasn't (at least overtly) an ECU thread?

I'm a dog whistling mofo... aren't I? 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 01:47 PM by BigEastHomer.)
02-19-2017 01:46 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
RE: John Calipari goes on rant about firings (Upset about Gottfried and Antigua firings)
Cal's just mad because he has no coaching tree.

The lack of a coaching tree proves he's a cheater instead of a basetball mastermind.
02-19-2017 01:47 PM
klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-19-2017 01:47 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Cal's just mad because he has no coaching tree.

The lack of a coaching tree proves he's a cheater instead of a basetball mastermind.

He has a coaching tree. The problem is the best coaches on that tree are Bruiser Flint and Derek Kellogg. You could include Josh Pastner but he only worked for Cal for one season.
02-19-2017 01:54 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2017 01:54 PM)klg316 Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 01:47 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Cal's just mad because he has no coaching tree.

He has a coaching tree. The problem is the best coaches on that tree are Bruiser Flint and Derek Kellogg. You could include Josh Pastner but he only worked for Cal for one season.

Don't forget the great Tony Barbee and Outrageous Orlando Antigua.
02-19-2017 01:56 PM
Advertisement

klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-19-2017 01:56 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  

Don't forget the great Tony Barbee and Outrageous Orlando Antigua.

If you listen to this starting at the 38:51 mark, Gary Parrish talks about Calipari's coaching tree and how different Calipari's practices are to other major coaches. Basically, Cal's assistants don't do much coaching in practice compared to at other schools.

http://media.espn929.com/a/117984670/gar...seg-1.htm?
02-19-2017 02:22 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

What's going on with Pastner at GT? They're winning some nice games.
02-20-2017 10:31 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(02-20-2017 10:31 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  What's going on with Pastner at GT? They're winning some nice games.
Yes they are.

Part of it is experience. Pastner was very young to be named HC at a national program. But more than that, I think JP isn't a bad coach. It's just that he and Memphis had simply reached a point where both were better off without the other. Both can now move forward in positive directions. Good luck to both of them
02-20-2017 11:19 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
RE: John Calipari goes on rant about firings (Upset about Gottfried and Antigua firi
Oh, cry me a river! This is the business they have chosen. These guys are making obscene amounts of money. They can leave immediately (players cannot). Sign me up and make me sit through a termination meeting everyday for less than a third of what they receive.

In the real world, they walk you out of the building and don't even let you pack your own stuff half the time.
02-20-2017 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(02-20-2017 11:23 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  Oh, cry me a river! This is the business they have chosen. These guys are making obscene amounts of money. They can leave immediately (players cannot). Sign me up and make me sit through a termination meeting everyday for less than a third of what they receive.

In the real world, they walk you out of the building and don't even let you pack your own stuff half the time.
This x 1,000

If they don't want to deal with the politics and drama and alumni and all that bullsh*t, then step away from Georgia or Memphis or Kentucky and try Mercer or Morehead or Belmont. Then you can focus on positive personal relationships and having a meaningful impact on a young person's life for 4 years. As long as you're working for the NBA's stud-farms, cash your checks, win some games and STFU.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 11:33 AM by Native Georgian.)
02-20-2017 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
CAL offered cronin a job at Memphis, but got turned down. He later took the job at U ofL.
02-20-2017 01:12 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-20-2017 01:12 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  CAL offered cronin a job at Memphis, but got turned down. He later took the job at U ofL.

Stay away from the Calipari coaching tree lol
02-20-2017 01:17 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2017 10:31 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

What's going on with Pastner at GT? They're winning some nice games.

Better situation at GT for him. He drove himself sick at Memphis trying to follow Cal's footsteps and the Memphis media. GT literally doesn't have any high expectations for him for a couple of years.

Tubby is the best replacement at the current time to build a foundation here at Memphis. The transfers and other things that happened under Pastner just has our roster very unbalanced and inexperienced. When Tubby steps down he will leave the next coach with something to build on just like Fuente left for Norvell.
02-20-2017 01:22 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I think having a foundation set is critical at a place like Memphis. Cal didn't do Pastner no favors leaving him with scrap players that only were role players. I think we need to have a balanced roster for when we hire young up and coming coaches to make the transition easier
02-20-2017 01:25 PM
ultraviolet Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(02-20-2017 11:24 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 11:23 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  Oh, cry me a river! This is the business they have chosen. These guys are making obscene amounts of money. They can leave immediately (players cannot). Sign me up and make me sit through a termination meeting everyday for less than a third of what they receive.

This x 1,000

If they don't want to deal with the politics and drama and alumni and all that bullsh*t, then step away from Georgia or Memphis or Kentucky and try Mercer or Morehead or Belmont. Then you can focus on positive personal relationships and having a meaningful impact on a young person's life for 4 years. As long as you're working for the NBA's stud-farms, cash your checks, win some games and STFU.

I agree. Overpaid, bloviating gadflys should mind their own business.
02-20-2017 01:31 PM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Calipari accomplished two things with this "rant." (Hardly a full-blown rant). 1. He looks like a white knight. 2. He pushed some spotlight off his underachieving Kentucky team.
02-20-2017 01:35 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(02-20-2017 11:24 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

This x 1,000

They want their ice cream cake and they want to eat it in peace.
02-20-2017 01:36 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2017 10:31 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  What's going on with Pastner at GT? They're winning some nice games.

They're 16-11. Will probably finish 18-13. NIT bound.

Georgia Tech finished 18-13 and played in the NIT last year (with a stronger nonconference schedule).

I don't see improvement under Pastner.
02-20-2017 02:24 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(02-20-2017 02:24 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  

They're 16-11. Will probably finish 18-13. NIT bound.

Georgia Tech finished 18-13 and played in the NIT last year (with a stronger nonconference schedule).

I don't see improvement under Pastner.

True, and he needs to step up his recruiting at Tech. Hasn't done much with this class so far, which is supposed to be his strength.

He's likely to get coach of the year in the ACC if he can stay on the bubble, which they will if he splits the next four. Maybe he can turn it into a real class. But let's be honest, He sure knows how to work the media.

He's going to luck his way into another huge contract.
02-20-2017 03:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.