Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why must the AAC be a full sports conference?
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
It is obvious that all the members want to play football, but there is a lesser degree of members that want to compete in basketball. I would like the AAC to become a football only conference and allow the other members(Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Temple, SMu} to seek their fortunes in the Big East, Atlantic 10 or other basketball related conference. Thoughts
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 09:46 AM by rosewater.)
02-19-2017 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
RE: Why must the AAC be a full sports conference?
The AAC is and always should be an all sports conference. The NCAA does not allow for football only conferences. The Yankee conference was a football only conference and when the ruling was made, forced them over to the A10 that did not want football. The CAA took over the conference.

Quote:It (Yankee Conference) existed until 1997, when NCAA legislation limiting the influence of single-sport conferences over policy became effective. Facing extinction, the conference merged with the Atlantic 10 Conference (A-10). After membership changes in the Colonial Athletic Association over the following 10 years, management of the A-10 football conference passed to the CAA in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Conference
02-19-2017 10:02 AM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
(02-19-2017 09:45 AM)rosewater Wrote:  It is obvious that all the members want to play football, but there is a lesser degree of members that want to compete in basketball. I would like the AAC to become a football only conference and allow the other members(Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Temple, SMu} to seek their fortunes in the Big East, Atlantic 10 or other basketball related conference. Thoughts

Didn't temple already get booted from the big east once? And SMU and Memphis really don't fit with them. Why dont you just say what you mean to say, "Uconn please take us with you"
02-19-2017 10:06 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Dumb thread.

The AAC has far exceeded the expectations of most rational human beings.. and just because it takes time to allow new coaches to recruit and build their programs in basketball (at Memphis, UCF, etc) we get the kneejerks coming out of the woodwork.

F U guys

Tubby Smith, Dawkins, Dunleavy, Jankovich, etc, have shown PLENTY to get excited about. It just takes time. SMU is great now but imagine how they'll be once Janks has had 3-4 years. Imagine what Dawkins will do with Tacko next year once he can surround him with more pieces.

This conference carried Cincinnati in football this year. UConn as well. Imagine if Temple and Houston said "F these guys"..

And that's in Football. Basketball has a fraction of the guys football does.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 10:21 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-19-2017 10:14 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
The AAC will be a more than 2 bid league most years. Memphis and UConn won't stay down. Ucf might be a tournament caliber team next season. We can easily get 5 bids some years. We should add Wichita State, VCU, and St. Louis though.
02-19-2017 10:21 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2017 10:06 AM)vcoog Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 09:45 AM)rosewater Wrote:  It is obvious that all the members want to play football, but there is a lesser degree of members that want to compete in basketball. I would like the AAC to become a football only conference and allow the other members(Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Temple, SMu} to seek their fortunes in the Big East, Atlantic 10 or other basketball related conference. Thoughts

Didn't temple already get booted from the big east once? And SMU and Memphis really don't fit with them. Why dont you just say what you mean to say, "Uconn please take us with you"

No, you may want to brush up on reading comprehension. I did not only mention the Big East as a possible landing spot. Arguably, SMU may want to play basketball in the MWC. Temple did not get kicked out due to hoops. The words are clear, if programs do not want to invest in basketball, USF, ECU, and Tulane lets make it a football only conference.
02-19-2017 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Hmmm small private religious school...

Nope not much in common
02-19-2017 10:59 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2017 10:14 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Dumb thread.

The AAC has far exceeded the expectations of most rational human beings.. and just because it takes time to allow new coaches to recruit and build their programs in basketball (at Memphis, UCF, etc) we get the kneejerks coming out of the woodwork.

F U guys

Tubby Smith, Dawkins, Dunleavy, Jankovich, etc, have shown PLENTY to get excited about. It just takes time. SMU is great now but imagine how they'll be once Janks has had 3-4 years. Imagine what Dawkins will do with Tacko next year once he can surround him with more pieces.

This conference carried Cincinnati in football this year. UConn as well. Imagine if Temple and Houston said "F these guys"..

Are you joking. Plenty??? Than maybe you can name something that the teams I did not set out accomplished this year. The conference carried us in football. How? Did you watch bowl season?
02-19-2017 11:02 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston

1) 100% of members want to compete in basketball

tulane opened up its wallet and hired and nba coach and upgraded facilities
houston spent 100mil on facility upgrades
usf hired kentuckys top assistant and then fired him in 2.1 years because he wasn't producing
tulsa made the tourney just last year, and stole a p5 coach
ucf is competing extremely well

ecu is arguably the only team in the AAC that isnt trying to be elite in basketball keeping lebo but technically on paper he is the best coach they have ever had, so i can see why they are struggling to fire him

2) secondly we are the 7th best league in the nation out of 32....you are suggesting we dismantle the AAC basketball a pretty decent bball league so teams can go to a technically worse a-10?? (according to rpi and bpi)
why?

there are literally elite bball teams that would gve to be in our league (wichita,umass, vcu) but you want to destroy it?

i think its best for cincy fans to stop looking for a way out, its depressing to you guys.. you are stuck here
02-19-2017 11:12 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(02-19-2017 11:02 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

F U guys

Are you joking. Plenty??? Than maybe you can name something that the teams I did not set out accomplished this year. The conference carried us in football. How? Did you watch bowl season?

im guessing if cincy loses in the first round of the tourney this year (like they do every year), they didnt carry the league??..post season isnt the only part of the league...99.999% of people dont even member our bowl record, most college football fans remember that we beat oklahoma and louisville

and yes you are in complete denial if you dont think this league carried cincy in football this year...you also havent been "nationally notable" good since the aac started
02-19-2017 11:18 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

F U guys

Bowl season?

Outside of Nova's run last year (in which they were the only NBE team to make the second week), have you seen how the NBE performed in the tournament? Let me clue you in, it hasn't been 1985 around there.

Yes, they got a head start by inviting schools that were already doing well in basketball. So they were able to contend right away.

That wasn't the model the AAC used. The AAC got into the program growing business (All Sports) and has done well in putting together a very nice roster of coaches. These men need time to grow their programs and develop players. Many of them have been working with short benches this year.

A wise man once said: "This is chess. Not checkers." That same wise man said "Man the F up."

[Image: giphy.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 11:22 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-19-2017 11:19 AM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2017 11:12 AM)pesik Wrote:  

usf hired kentuckys top assistant and then fired him in 2.1 years because he wasn't producing

ecu is arguably the only team in the AAC that isnt trying to be elite in basketball keeping lebo but technically on paper he is the best coach they have ever had, so i can see why they are struggling to fire him

2) secondly we are the 7th best league in the nation out of 32....you are suggesting we dismantle the AAC basketball a pretty decent bball league so teams can go to a technically worse a-10?? (according to rpi and bpi)
why?

there are literally elite bball teams that would gve to be in our league (wichita,umass, vcu) but you want to destroy it?

i think its best for cincy fans to stop looking for a way out, its depressing to you guys.. you are stuck here

Are you kidding Tulane? What NBA team did Tulane hire him away from? Improvements, what?? When your school is 600 miles away and you send more fans to the game than the home team, there is a problem. We are the 7th best league because of two teams. Some other teams have shown potential like Temple, Memphis, and this year UCF. I agree that several other teams should be upset with the bottom part of the league. But the problem still remains, if 3/4 teams do not take hoops seriously and two or three are having a bad year, the conference will never have more than 3 in the tournament.
02-19-2017 11:24 AM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(02-19-2017 10:57 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

No, you may want to brush up on reading comprehension. I did not only mention the Big East as a possible landing spot. Arguably, SMU may want to play basketball in the MWC. Temple did not get kicked out due to hoops. The words are clear, if programs do not want to invest in basketball, USF, ECU, and Tulane lets make it a football only conference.

To say that these schools haven't made investments in Basketball is just untrue. ECU just dropped 14-15 million on a practice facility, Tulane is now coached by a successful former NBA head coach, and South Florida got rid of Antigua. Now it would be fair to say that they have made some bad investments i.e. Lebo's contract extension, but they have invested in Basketball.
02-19-2017 11:26 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2017 11:19 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

F U guys

Bowl season?

Outside of Nova's run last year (in which they were the only NBE team to make the second week), have you seen how the NBE performed in the tournament? Let me clue you in, it hasn't been 1985 around there.

Yes, they got a head start by inviting schools that were already doing well in basketball. So they were able to contend right away.

That wasn't the model the AAC used. The AAC got into the program growing business (All Sports) and has done well in putting together a very nice roster of coaches. These men need time to grow their programs and develop players. Many of them have been working with short benches this year.

A wise man once said: "This is chess. Not checkers." That same wise man said "Man the F up."

[Image: giphy.gif]
How does that even make sense? I see a lot of puffery but no facts. Basketball is worse this year than any of the last 4 years. There is no indication that ECU plans to address their problems. Temple will probably replace their coach, so under your logic, we will have to wait another 3 years for that program. Same goes for USF. This is hardly knee jerk. The teams in this league sans a few ignore basketball. What is wrong with wanting a football league.
02-19-2017 11:33 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
wouldn't it make sense to not repeat the mistakes of the Big East by having basketball and football members feuding with each other?
02-19-2017 11:38 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2017 11:18 AM)pesik Wrote:  

F U guys

im guessing if cincy loses in the first round of the tourney this year (like they do every year), they didnt carry the league??..post season isnt the only part of the league...99.999% of people dont even member our bowl record, most college football fans remember that we beat oklahoma and louisville

and yes you are in complete denial if you dont think this league carried cincy in football this year...you also havent been "nationally notable" good since the aac started
I agree. There is a large emphasis made on the post season. If we flame out in the first round, no one will remember the AAC as a good basketball conference. I wish I had a dime for every time someone (including you)mention our sugar bowl and orange bowl as a way to devalue our 09/10 seasons. And by extension, the same people devalued the exploits of the conference as a whole. So, you carried us nowhere. You got blown out by San Diego State. You cannot have it both ways.
02-19-2017 11:43 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(02-19-2017 11:24 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 11:12 AM)pesik Wrote:  

why?

Are you kidding Tulane? What NBA team did Tulane hire him away from? Improvements, what?? When your school is 600 miles away and you send more fans to the game than the home team, there is a problem. We are the 7th best league because of two teams. Some other teams have shown potential like Temple, Memphis, and this year UCF. I agree that several other teams should be upset with the bottom part of the league. But the problem still remains, if 3/4 teams do not take hoops seriously and two or three are having a bad year, the conference will never have more than 3 in the tournament.

1) college teams aren't taking active nba coaches..aka larry brown wasn't on any teams
buts here's tulanes current coachs resume
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Dunleavy_Sr.
this is their recruiting class from last year
http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/...class/2015
they even full renovated their entire bball facility

you honestly cant look at what they are doing and tell me they arent trying...

2) the wcc has the #1 team in the nation gonzaga, a top 20 team st marys, and a bubble team (byu)... thats better than cincy and smu..they are ranked the #9 league... if you think its just 2 teams you have no clue what you are talking about

3) "Some other teams have shown potential like Temple, Memphis, and this year UCF"... houston has had top 100 rpi the last 2 seasons,currently a top 50 team according to kenpom

4) i dont expect for uconn, memphis and temple to all be down on the same year every year, we just had 4 tourney teams last year...JUST LAST YEAR!

and not counting ecu who else in the league dont take hoops seriously??? who are the other 2/3???
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 11:52 AM by pesik.)
02-19-2017 11:45 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Agree with Rosewater. Let the AAC be just for football so the good basketball schools can go to a more suitible conference.
02-19-2017 11:50 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(02-19-2017 11:43 AM)rosewater Wrote:  I agree. There is a large emphasis made on the post season. If we flame out in the first round, no one will remember the AAC as a good basketball conference. I wish I had a dime for every time someone (including you)mention our sugar bowl and orange bowl as a way to devalue our 09/10 seasons. And by extension, the same people devalued the exploits of the conference as a whole. So, you carried us nowhere. You got blown out by San Diego State. You cannot have it both ways.

because that was a majjor bowl game and completely different...i have said nmerous times, the only bowl that matter or anyone will remember is the major bowl game..and we down graded cincy we didnt discount it...we all still note cincy was a elite top 25 teams those years....

and we flopped last tourney (the aac) and our league was still praised.. our league post season was stilled hyped by the media despite the poor tourney performance...cincy hasnt had a good tourney in ages but is still lauded as an elite team.. stop pretending post season is all that matters...
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 12:20 PM by pesik.)
02-19-2017 11:51 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-19-2017 11:26 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 10:57 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

To say that these schools haven't made investments in Basketball is just untrue. ECU just dropped 14-15 million on a practice facility, Tulane is now coached by a successful former NBA head coach, and South Florida got rid of Antigua. Now it would be fair to say that they have made some bad investments i.e. Lebo's contract extension, but they have invested in Basketball.

That's what I'm saying. We've spent the dough on a much needed practice facility (good investment) and on Lebo (bad investment). Also got a plane for recruiting.
02-19-2017 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.