Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mostly OT: With Gottfried out, which coaches should NC State pursue?
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Mostly OT: With Gottfried out, which coaches should NC State pursue?
ESPN Insider surveys the landscape with a lot of the usual candidates. I don't think for a second that Mick is going anywhere, but still it was nice to see this in the preface to the analysis:

Quote:It's highly unlikely the Wolfpack turn to the NBA again and also highly unlikely that Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin makes the move, per sources. So we didn't include him in our breakdown of where Yow should look next.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 04:43 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-16-2017 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Mostly OT: With Gottfried out, which coaches should NC State pursue?
Archie Miller is in such a good place right now, I don't know why the heck he would leave for a mid-level coaching black hole like NC State. Just wait it out and take OSU when Thad "retires due to medical reasons" after this season or Pitt when Stallings is asked to exit stage right.

02-16-2017 04:53 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Mick's not going there but he or his agent will certainly use it for leverage when the 2017 postseason comes to a close and the annual contract extension conversation opens.

NC State is in a tough spot: clearly the third P5 in the pecking order behind UNC and Duke in a geographic footprint about the size of greater Cincinnati! The SEC could do UC a big favor by taking NC State to expand their footprint into North Carolina (and simultaneously open a slot for UC in the ACC). Stranger things have happened.

Mick's name coming up is just more exposure for Cincinnati basketball.

02-16-2017 05:33 PM
BcatMatt13 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(02-16-2017 04:43 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  ESPN Insider surveys the landscape with a lot of the usual candidates. I don't think for a second that Mick is going anywhere, but still it was nice to see this in the preface to the analysis:

Quote:It's highly unlikely the Wolfpack turn to the NBA again and also highly unlikely that Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin makes the move, per sources. So we didn't include him in our breakdown of where Yow should look next.

NC State (like Wake Forest) is a tough place to win, not only because of the quality of the ACC, but because there's no way to compete with UNC and Duke.

The interesting job to potentially come open is Indiana. Or potentially Ohio State. Could make this Coaching Carousel crazy this offseason.

02-16-2017 05:35 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
It will be interesting to see if any of his newer guys look to transfer out of Nc st. We offered 2 or 3 of them out of hschool, and given Washington's progressions probably always a possibility. We seem to travel in common player turf with them.

02-16-2017 05:37 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(02-16-2017 04:53 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Archie Miller is in such a good place right now, I don't know why the heck he would leave for a mid-level coaching black hole like NC State. Just wait it out and take OSU when Thad "retires due to medical reasons" after this season or Pitt when Stallings is asked to exit stage right.

Pitt is pretty much equivalent to NC State, IMO.

02-16-2017 06:14 PM
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(02-16-2017 05:33 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Mick's name coming up is just more exposure for Cincinnati basketball.

Not to single you out because I have heard stuff like this from other people, but I vehemently disagree with the nature of this comment. Would UK or Duke be happy with the exposure from their coach being discussed as a candidate for another NCAA coaching job? No. They would laugh. They are bigger jobs than that, as is Cincinnati.

This "Cincinnati underdog" attitude many people have disturbs me.

We swing a huge (YUUUUUUUGE) pipe when it comes to basketball, and our program should have among the highest expectations placed upon it in the country. Fans should feel insulted if Mick is even mentioned as a candidate for a job like NC State. I was furious when Mick used UNLV as leverage. It was quite demeaning to our program. We are better than that. Have some pride, people.

If you want to see what a stepping stone job looks like in college basketball, you can find one about 2 miles from UC's campus. 03-lmfao

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 07:01 PM by TubaCat.)
02-16-2017 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2017 06:58 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  
(02-16-2017 05:33 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Mick's name coming up is just more exposure for Cincinnati basketball.

Not to single you out because I have heard stuff like this from other people, but I vehemently disagree with the nature of this comment. Would UK or Duke be happy with the exposure from their coach being discussed as a candidate for another NCAA coaching job? No. They would laugh. They are bigger jobs than that, as is Cincinnati.

This "Cincinnati underdog" attitude many people have disturbs me.

We swing a huge (YUUUUUUUGE) pipe when it comes to basketball, and our program should have among the highest expectations placed upon it in the country. Fans should feel insulted if Mick is even mentioned as a candidate for a job like NC State. I was furious when Mick used UNLV as leverage. It was quite demeaning to our program. We are better than that. Have some pride, people.

If you want to see what a stepping stone job looks like in college basketball, you can find one about 2 miles from UC's campus. 03-lmfao

I think you may have misunderstood my comment.

I wasn't suggesting, nor do I necessarily believe, NC State to be a better job than Cincinnati. I think Mick's willingness to look at a lesser job such as UNLV last year was a clear signal that he (or his agent) is willing to shop his name in an effort to determine Mick's market value for renegotiation and extension with UC.

When I say more exposure, I'm really referencing "impressions" with the belief that the more "Cincinnati Basketball" is mentioned in all media, the more it builds brand familiarity around the country. Impressions are surely way up this year with the long stay in the top 25 and an impressive season performance. If other high majors didn't covet our coach I'd be more concerned.

02-16-2017 07:32 PM
DelhiBearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wholesome Chat
Wouldn't be surprised to see UNC Wilmington's coach.

02-16-2017 09:10 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(02-16-2017 04:53 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Archie Miller is in such a good place right now, I don't know why the heck he would leave for a mid-level coaching black hole like NC State. Just wait it out and take OSU when Thad "retires due to medical reasons" after this season or Pitt when Stallings is asked to exit stage right.

With both him and his wife as NC St. alums, he tops the list NC St. should take a swing at per the article. But I think all of us agree he could do better if he shows a bit of patience.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 09:18 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-16-2017 09:18 PM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(02-16-2017 05:37 PM)dsquare Wrote:  It will be interesting to see if any of his newer guys look to transfer out of Nc st. We offered 2 or 3 of them out of hschool, and given Washington's progressions probably always a possibility. We seem to travel in common player turf with them.

This was my first thought...maybe that banked scholly will come in handy

02-16-2017 09:40 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(02-16-2017 05:33 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Mick's not going there but he or his agent will certainly use it for leverage when the 2017 postseason comes to a close and the annual contract extension conversation opens.

I think Mick burned a big hole in the bridge with that Vegas stunt last off-season. He signed a big extension after that escapade.

I'd suggest to Mick that he take a break from the "annual contract extension conversation" this season... Or just take the damn job. The next time he takes a sight-seeing trip, he just might find his office boxed up for him when he gets back.

02-17-2017 12:25 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2017 12:25 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(02-16-2017 05:33 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Mick's not going there but he or his agent will certainly use it for leverage when the 2017 postseason comes to a close and the annual contract extension conversation opens.

I think Mick burned a big hole in the bridge with that Vegas stunt last off-season. He signed a big extension after that escapade.

I'd suggest to Mick that he take a break from the "annual contract extension conversation" this season... Or just take the damn job. The next time he takes a sight-seeing trip, he just might find his office boxed up for him when he gets back.

Agreed. I certainly don't blame him for using leverage to improve his lot in life -- but if we suffer another first weekend exit in the tourney and he has the stones to entertain another job offer, I don't know if the fan base will tolerate it again.

02-17-2017 12:35 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat

With who in his place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 01:05 AM by Cataclysmo.)
02-17-2017 01:04 AM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(02-17-2017 12:35 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  

Agreed. I certainly don't blame him for using leverage to improve his lot in life -- but if we suffer another first weekend exit in the tourney and he has the stones to entertain another job offer, I don't know if the fan base will tolerate it again.

We won't.

02-17-2017 07:07 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(02-17-2017 01:04 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

With who in his place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

First, I am NOT on the "Fire Mick" warpath. I LIKE Mick Cronin.

That being said, no coach is bigger than their program. If it came to it, one way or another, UC would be fine. Right now we have an experienced HC...who won at UC when Mick was incapacitated...riding second chair.

My point is merely that UC doesn't have to be...shouldn't be...held hostage. Mick just got a new deal and concessions from the University. He should recognize that and tread gently perhaps.

(Besides which, he hasn't done anything yet...so merely hypothetical at this point.)

02-17-2017 08:12 AM
Advertisement

Nobones Offline
1st String

I totally agree with BearcatJerry. He can not go out each year and shop around. That gets old real quick.

02-17-2017 09:56 AM
WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MY BEARCATS
(02-17-2017 09:56 AM)Nobones Wrote:  I totally agree with BearcatJerry. He can not go out each year and shop around. That gets old real quick.

It is also horrible for recruiting. Coaches love to use that against you.

02-17-2017 11:06 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2017 09:56 AM)Nobones Wrote:  I totally agree with BearcatJerry. He can not go out each year and shop around. That gets old real quick.

I agree with BearcatJerry too. I think the only exception to that would be a deep run in the NCAA Tournament which would give Mick a lot of fresh political capital.

But watch closely in the coming weeks; I think the groundwork is being laid right now for a renegotiation when the media is given fodder for sound bites about "youngest coach to do x, y, or z," or "300 career wins this weekend," or some certain P5 including his name on a short list. Sometimes these tidbits are organic; other times they are purposefully disseminated; facts or assertions planted now and harvested later as proof sources for contract negotiations.

02-17-2017 11:33 AM
JunctaJuvant Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: X-mas Cookies
I feel like the UNLV thing last year was done with a purpose, to get the Athletic Dept. to finally commit to making the upgrades to the Shoe, team locker room etc. No reason to hold them hostage at this point. Those things are in motion.

02-17-2017 11:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.