Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] b!tching about the band
Bookmark and Share
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
[split] b!tching about the band
Thank goodness. Next they need to fix the marching band.

02-08-2017 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCBearcat4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: New Scoreboard and Sound System
(02-08-2017 01:51 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Thank goodness. Next they need to fix the marching band.

Band Director position opening was reposted 4 days ago

02-08-2017 01:58 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-08-2017 01:51 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Thank goodness. Next they need to fix the marching band.

Isn't Dr. Franz retiring at the end of the year? The new hire could go a long way in fixing the problem.

02-08-2017 02:01 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
What? No more Piano Man?

02-08-2017 02:02 PM
MercerCo_BearCat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-08-2017 02:01 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Isn't Dr. Franz retiring at the end of the year? The new hire could go a long way in fixing the problem.

He's gone. He officially retired last Tuesday, Jan. 31st.

They opened up the applications, and we'll see what happens.

02-08-2017 02:28 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM

Part of the issue is that the best musicians at UC -- CCM -- are forbidden to play in the marching band, pep band, etc.

Most classically training musicians will opine that it is seriously bad for your chops. I don't agree with that as I remember Marie Speziale playing a lot of "pop" kinda stuff when she wasn't playing with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. BTW, she joined CSO when she was only 19 and was the first female trumpet player to play with a major symphony. She is also a super nice person.

Back on point, the UC marching band, pep band, etc. are all stocked with former high school marching band people. That's why you hear some REALLY bad intonation and God help us if anyone ever starts and ends a quarter note or an eight note at the same time as anyone else.

02-08-2017 02:55 PM
Advertisement

MercerCo_BearCat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-08-2017 02:55 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  

Part of the issue is that the best musicians at UC -- CCM -- are forbidden to play in the marching band, pep band, etc.

Most classically training musicians will opine that it is seriously bad for your chops. I don't agree with that as I remember Marie Speziale playing a lot of "pop" kinda stuff when she wasn't playing with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. BTW, she joined CSO when she was only 19 and was the first female trumpet player to play with a major symphony. She is also a super nice person.

Back on point, the UC marching band, pep band, etc. are all stocked with former high school marching band people. That's why you hear some REALLY bad intonation and God help us if anyone ever starts and ends a quarter note or an eight note at the same time as anyone else.

I'll just separate this by paragraph

1. Yes, CCM discourages participation. It's not banned though, as we do get many CCM majors who do participate.

2. This is false. While it does depend on the individual, playing in any College Marching Band tends to not help, but rather hurt you. The Band here is probably better than many of the others just because of how they play.

3. The Band has it's issues and players, but many/most are actually pretty good musicians. It's not perfect, but we don't get enough of a turn out to cut musicians and they don't want to go smaller.

02-08-2017 03:15 PM
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
(02-08-2017 02:28 PM)MercerCo_BearCat Wrote:  

Is Jonathan Waters still looking for a job?

02-08-2017 04:00 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(02-08-2017 03:15 PM)MercerCo_BearCat Wrote:  I'll just separate this by paragraph

1. Yes, CCM discourages participation. It's not banned though, as we do get many CCM majors who do participate.

2. This is false. While it does depend on the individual, playing in any College Marching Band tends to not help, but rather hurt you. The Band here is probably better than many of the others just because of how they play.

3. The Band has it's issues and players, but many/most are actually pretty good musicians. It's not perfect, but we don't get enough of a turn out to cut musicians and they don't want to go smaller.

1. Sure the band has some CCM students, but most of them are E-media majors or something similar. The marching band always has a PITIFUL amount of music majors from CCM... between 0 and 2 per year. I have never seen more than 2 in any given year. For a band of about 250, that's less than 1% at most. For comparison, OU and OSU's marching bands are about 25% music majors every year the last I checked.

2. This is very subjective. Many music ed majors will end up directing a marching band at some point in their career, so having marching band experience is imperative for them IMO. CCM seems to disagree.

3. UC has a lot of marching band talent come in every year, but many students either have no desire to join or lose that desire after a short time in the band. Why? Several reasons. The director that was there for the past 1/4 century rarely let them play decent, college-level music. The talented students are not motivated and quit or never join the first place. The other problem is that this director would NEVER turn anyone away from the band. I personally played with people that had never been in a marching band in their life, and some that weren't even enrolled at any college at all, let alone UC. It was a disgrace. There were never even basic standards to join. By having true auditions, holding members to real college-level standards, and playing college-level music that fans and band members will enjoy, this band could be one of the best in the country.

02-08-2017 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
OH YEAH! Here we go! I'm calling it... ummmm... 27 pages, we will run through the whole gambit once again!

02-08-2017 04:21 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(02-08-2017 04:00 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  

Is Jonathan Waters still looking for a job?

I thought the exact thing, and looked it up. He's at Heidelberg, as of last fall. Everything seems to be settled between he and Ohio State.

02-08-2017 04:59 PM
Advertisement

RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe

I though they did when Frenz retired. Rimshot

02-08-2017 05:27 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS

Way back when I seem to remember CCM'ers were in the band. Wouldn't it be a good practicum for many of them.

02-08-2017 06:23 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I hope the new director knows music beyond Glenn Miller and I hope the new director doesn't insist upon hearing similar to "Directed by Dr. Terren L. Frenz" THREE times a performance.

02-08-2017 06:26 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2017 05:47 PM)crex043 Wrote:  Four pages and no sarcastic mention of "Little Prince Lindner" and his revered benevolence towards UC?

Did I miss Doss getting banned?
Today we bash "Dr. Terren L. Frenz"

We know he is gone but won't miss him. Even at my age I found his music "old fashioned".

02-08-2017 06:31 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I don't see the point in bashing Dr. Frenz. He's gone. Time to focus on what comes next.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 06:58 PM by BearcatsUC.)
02-08-2017 06:58 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Maybe Doss should be in charge of the marching band?

02-08-2017 07:00 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
RE: [split] b!tching about the band
(02-08-2017 07:00 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Maybe Doss should be in charge of the marching band?

Time to bone up on my Lee Greenwood and Ted Nugent.

02-08-2017 08:02 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Disband the band...

Let's use Alabama A&M's squad as subcontractors.

02-08-2017 08:21 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(02-08-2017 08:21 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Disband the band...

Let's use Alabama A&M's squad as subcontractors.

I know you're joking, but honestly, the UC band under the right director has far more potential than any FCS band could ever have. Implying otherwise is a very misguided slap to the face to our current and former band members. There's just a lot more talent and resources here than at the FCS level... kind of like football. It's almost like superior talent and resources can be totally wasted under the wrong leader. Imagine if that ever happened to our football team! 04-cheers

02-08-2017 08:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.