WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most Decommits
BCBronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Most Decommits
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017 10:29 AM by BCBronco.)
01-31-2017 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Most Decommits
PJ has a 28 player class and still can't crack the top 10 in the B1G.... his class looks like a higher end G5.... will be interesting to see how Minn looks on the field...
01-31-2017 10:44 AM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
wouldnt it make sense to judge the pj and lester recruiting abilities with next year and beyond?
01-31-2017 12:31 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2017 12:31 PM)uclabruin Wrote:  wouldnt it make sense to judge the pj and lester recruiting abilities with next year and beyond?

This would make the most sense... but I believe PJ's current Minn class is predominantly players he recruited.
01-31-2017 12:35 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(01-31-2017 10:44 AM)flushtheherd Wrote:  PJ has a 28 player class and still can't crack the top 10 in the B1G.... his class looks like a higher end G5.... will be interesting to see how Minn looks on the field...

Any "higher end G5" would be in the high-mid/low-upper tier of the Pig Ten.

The Pig 10 is over-rated, over-hyped, and over-priced.

How many points did Michigan State and Ohio State score in the CFP the last two years? Neither belonged...
01-31-2017 12:38 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Some of those decommits may be kids he cut loose when poached our nine.

As of today (Tuesday 1-31) Scout has Minnesota's class seventh in Big Ten, 32nd in country.

But that might be due to numbers, because the average rating of their commits is tenth in the conference.
01-31-2017 12:42 PM
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:The Pig 10 is over-rated, over-hyped, and over-priced.

True. And skill-wise their recruits are often no better than top MAC schools. But they usually have greater size and speed, so they're often more durable.

PJ has an eye for talent, if his recruits can avoid injuries he might be able to make some noise at Minnesota. We'll see.
01-31-2017 02:35 PM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(01-31-2017 12:31 PM)uclabruin Wrote:  wouldnt it make sense to judge the pj and lester recruiting abilities with next year and beyond?

Yeah, it probably would make sense. But…… this is a message board and it does not have to make sense.
01-31-2017 03:30 PM
FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Minnesota
The only commitments from MN's prior staff that Fleck kept were the in-state (Minnesota) commits -- ended up being a housecleaning similar to what he did when he took the WMU job. Couple kids initially had their offers honored but then were nixed when they wanted to take other visits. I think there was one true "decommit," LB from Texas that could've stayed but was poached by Baylor.

It was a good but not great class, even accounting for the perennial "underranking" of upper midwest kids (and MN's classes in general)... Fleck was going gangbusters for a while but was disappointing he didn't pull any rabbits out of the hat in this last week. Had some close misses the last wknd, and then a couple long-time commits didn't get cleared by the school academically here at the end. Hoping for better next year.
02-01-2017 07:37 PM
Nacho Online
Heisman

No one cares.
02-01-2017 08:30 PM
PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wmu
(02-01-2017 08:30 PM)Nacho Wrote:  No one cares.

Lol
02-01-2017 08:55 PM
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(02-01-2017 07:37 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  The only commitments from MN's prior staff that Fleck kept were the in-state (Minnesota) commits -- ended up being a housecleaning similar to what he did when he took the WMU job. Couple kids initially had their offers honored but then were nixed when they wanted to take other visits. I think there was one true "decommit," LB from Texas that could've stayed but was poached by Baylor.

It was a good but not great class, even accounting for the perennial "underranking" of upper midwest kids (and MN's classes in general)... Fleck was going gangbusters for a while but was disappointing he didn't pull any rabbits out of the hat in this last week. Had some close misses the last wknd, and then a couple long-time commits didn't get cleared by the school academically here at the end. Hoping for better next year.

We are intimately familiar with the period that he was going gangbusters for you. Enjoy our former commits. I'm sure he'll have some close misses test driving...cars...as well. We wish you indifference in the upcoming season.
02-02-2017 11:11 AM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(02-01-2017 07:37 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  The only commitments from MN's prior staff that Fleck kept were the in-state (Minnesota) commits -- ended up being a housecleaning similar to what he did when he took the WMU job. Couple kids initially had their offers honored but then were nixed when they wanted to take other visits. I think there was one true "decommit," LB from Texas that could've stayed but was poached by Baylor.

Even though most of us including myself bought in and were rowing boats, I have to say after being pissed off initially, I am glad he is gone (though thanks for the MAC championship!). I mean, I heard him actually say something like you didn't sign gophers, you signed howphers! Howphers? What a douchebag. When he's yours, you will probably like him, because in a couple years you will likely see results. But be forewarned, PJ Fleck doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself. Don't delude yourselves into buying the BS. You aren't his dream job. His next job is his dream job.
02-02-2017 10:05 PM
CaptainSlow Offline
Water Engineer

This. PJ walked into a toxic environment at Minnesota - it's really no surprise that recruits walked away from Minny considering everything surrounding the program. If he can't put a better class together for 2018, then it is totally reasonable to question his recruiting abilities at a P5 school. Lester walked into a better situation, but a little late to truly save the recruiting class. We'll see for both.
02-03-2017 08:26 AM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU & UofM
(02-03-2017 08:26 AM)CaptainSlow Wrote:  This. PJ walked into a toxic environment at Minnesota - it's really no surprise that recruits walked away from Minny considering everything surrounding the program. If he can't put a better class together for 2018, then it is totally reasonable to question his recruiting abilities at a P5 school. Lester walked into a better situation, but a little late to truly save the recruiting class. We'll see for both.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck is pulling several 4*s to play at Minnesota next year. Given a couple years the current mess will be forgotten. His future recruiting classes will be in the middle of B1G
02-03-2017 06:47 PM
CaptainSlow Offline
Water Engineer

(02-03-2017 06:47 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 08:26 AM)CaptainSlow Wrote:  This. PJ walked into a toxic environment at Minnesota - it's really no surprise that recruits walked away from Minny considering everything surrounding the program. If he can't put a better class together for 2018, then it is totally reasonable to question his recruiting abilities at a P5 school. Lester walked into a better situation, but a little late to truly save the recruiting class. We'll see for both.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck is pulling several 4*s to play at Minnesota next year. Given a couple years the current mess will be forgotten. His future recruiting classes will be in the middle of B1G

I think Minnesota has standards similar to what MSU had before Dantonio: fans want a program that will go to bowl games *most* years, keep things respectable against their rivals, and at least be in the conversation for division title every few years. A good place for him to start, but as we've seen from PJ's success here, expectations can raise quickly with success.
02-07-2017 11:17 AM
Advertisement

WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/...g-rankings
Kind of a lazy piece by SI ranking top10 new HCs by overall recruiting class. Fleck did well to bring quality other than WMU recruits to Minnesota. A well written article would've examined the circumstances that each coach inherited. Have to think that Minnesota is the toughest of these situations to recruit to and on shorter time frame than most.
SI has Lester in the next 5. I would say he probably had the shortest amount of time to put together his class. An honest evaluation would probably place him into top 10.
02-07-2017 10:42 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

(02-07-2017 10:42 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/...g-rankings
Kind of a lazy piece by SI ranking top10 new HCs by overall recruiting class.
Look at 1. LSU, no controversy until after signing day. Everyone knew Les was on way out. No reason they shouldn't have top class of new HCs
2. Nike Duck$
3. Texas? 28th ranked. Poor recruiting class by the standards set in Austin. By local talent alone they acquire top 30 talent.
4. Baylor-WTF. Rogue program, how do parents and coaches allow their kids to commit to Waco?

On second thought this is a horrible top 10 list.
02-07-2017 10:50 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/...g-rankings

Well, I don't think you make the ranking based on what they deserve, but what happened. :) And again, they're ranking 1st-year HCs amongst each other only.

My comments on the video about PJ Fleck. I'll say this: Bringing in 9 recruits to a mid-level-big-major like Minnesota, from a high-recruited mid-major isn't a sign of weakness by Minnesota talent. Sure, any late-coming HC like PJ (or Lester) is going to be a little short-changed no matter where he's going. But it's not a "?" about how good Minnesota's talent is. The guy on video makes this too much a concern.

Instead it should be: "Yeah, this was a Rising Star of a mid-major trying to be the next Boise, stemming from one of the best recruiters in the nation. Yeah, you're going to get Quality guys coming in that Minnesota would want. It's a little high, and less recruiting able to be done for Minnesota given their situation, but all in all, Minnesota-worthy guys. The real question is -- what talent can he bring in once he settles In, to make Minnesota get recruiting power to contend with the upper part of the B1G? THAT, we shall see at the end of the year."
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 03:03 AM by toddjnsn.)
02-08-2017 03:02 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(02-07-2017 10:42 PM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/...g-rankings
Kind of a lazy piece by SI ranking top10 new HCs by overall recruiting class. Fleck did well to bring quality other than WMU recruits to Minnesota. A well written article would've examined the circumstances that each coach inherited. Have to think that Minnesota is the toughest of these situations to recruit to and on shorter time frame than most.
SI has Lester in the next 5. I would say he probably had the shortest amount of time to put together his class. An honest evaluation would probably place him into top 10.

Fleck was bringing in Big Ten level recruits to WMU, hence the Cotton Bowl. He is going to do well at Minnesota. He had to get what he could this year. Next year he will be able to do even better. And once he unloads another 10 players that sexually assualted that young women he will have more spots to fill.
02-08-2017 07:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.