Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Halfway through the conference season, comments and observations
Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Online
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
MyBB Halfway through the conference season, comments and observations
All but FIU and FAU have played nine conference games, post your comments about your team and or CUSA...

I would like to think that Williams and Upshaw end up first team all conference, Giddy, I think ends up second team. Kermit deserves consideration for COY. Divided on whether Williams or Upshaw should get POY. Leaning towards Williams. I suspect POY will come from another conference team.

I think Tyrik Dixon should be a darkhorse candidate for Freshman of the Year. His Assist to Turnover ratio in conference is amazing. His shooting is not bad, either. I suspect he will not be FOY, because at the beginning of the season, CKD didn't completely trust his freshman point guard, but since conference play has started, Dixon has been playing like an upper classman.

I think MT, even though 9-0 at this point, will likely stumble at least once before the tournament. The three straight road games against WKU and Marshall on a thursday and saturday night are going to be really tough and then the game at UAB eight days later should be a battle. These three games deserve the best officiating crews CUSA can get.

I think Middle Tennessee needs to win the tournament and not leave their fate in the hand of a selection committee.

oh yeah, officiating sucks in this conference.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 02:47 PM by SpaceRaider.)
01-29-2017 02:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg28 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Halfway through the conference season, comments and observations
I feel like Bracey has a shot for FOY. Really impressed with him. Otherwise, we're a young team. McCree and Boykins are the upperclassmen holding down the fort, with Jean as a sophomore. But after that, we're looking at freshmen. Each of them has talent, and I feel like they can be stars for us in the coming years, but consistency is hard when you're so young. Joniah White needs to find some confidence, imo. He can block shots and he's a human rebound, but gotta play more confidently.

I think we've definitely improved from last year, though, and should only get better over the next couple of years.
01-29-2017 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Herd2believe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marshall
Still smarting from home loss to UTEP last night. They played as good as MU played bad. It appears they have righted the ship after a horrible start. I know I am biased but feel Elmore is POY(leads conference in scoring AND assists). Feel Taylor and Browning deserve All Conf. Only half way so we will see how this plays out. BTW kudos to MTSU: I thought that with them losing three very good seniors from last year that they would go down some. Not nearly the case-great team.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 03:57 PM by Herd2believe.)
01-29-2017 03:25 PM
AdoptedMonarch Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
We're too busy peeing all over each other on our home board to have yet figured out what our views are concerning this season.

The only consensus so far is that both Caver and Talley have bright futures. The rest -- from coaching staff right on down to ticket takers -- is wide open for debate.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 06:19 PM by AdoptedMonarch.)
01-29-2017 03:43 PM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
good ole benford is going for perfection in conference...halfway to 0-18! north texas is bad with him as coach...
01-29-2017 04:35 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Rice fans are unhappy with a 4-5 conference mark but I realize this team is still young (no seniors in top 8-9 man rotation). Both Koulechov and Evans have played like 1st team all-conference performers at times but they've had off nights too and I realize there are a lot of deserving players too. I would think both will make 2nd-team at the worst, as long as we finish over .500 in conference play.

We have a freshman big guy who just is starting to get some playing time. If he can keep developing, I feel like we have a chance to make some noise in the conference tournament. But it will depend on our side of the bracket as we don't match up well against teams with quality big guys (MTSU, UAB, Louisiana Tech, ODU, etc. - will be pretty tough to avoid all those teams LOL).
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 04:55 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
01-29-2017 04:54 PM
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Our second leading scorer this season was booted off the team for academic reasons about 3 weeks ago, and our top returning scorer from last season got hurt in the 3rd game of the year, saw very limited action for about 3 games upon his return, and now hurt his knee again. They're both seniors. So I expect our scoring difficulties to continue, and honestly don't have high hopes for our remaining games. At 9-12 (4-4), we've still already improved over last season's 5-27 mark though, and I'd be fine if we could manage to reach the teens in wins.

We seem to have some pretty decent talent coming in next season, and I think we'll improve again next year, and that our program will be back to respectability the year after that.

Since no one else seems to be talking about the women, our ladies are putting together a pretty solid season so far as they're currently 10-9 (6-2) and, I believe, have an RPI of 151.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017 05:44 PM by Volkmar.)
01-29-2017 05:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
MTSU is the best team in this conference.

UAB at home is the 2nd best.
01-29-2017 06:02 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
The only thought I have on this year is that we have a top 15 recruiting class for next year.
01-29-2017 06:33 PM
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
Marshall can beat some teams, some times...

It can be fun to watch when we play an inferior team, but we're not a serious contender for the title...

Just like football...

GS
01-29-2017 07:00 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Screw basketball. Bring on football season.
01-29-2017 07:45 PM
Advertisement

RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-29-2017 07:45 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  Screw basketball. Bring on football season.

Bring on baseball season!
01-29-2017 08:24 PM
hooverblazer Online
Promoter of UAB

FIU game aside, I like the way we're playing right now. I think we've finally adjusted to playing without Nick Norton. The key to our turnaround from OOC play has been the strong play of Denzell Watts taking over the starting PG duties. This allowed Deion Lavender to play off the ball which is his more natural position. Watts has also been lighting it up from behind the arc, filling a key Norton void.

Cokely and Lee provided an excellent front court and our length/athleticism will give teams problems. We still need to cut down on turnovers, play more consistent defense (especially against the 3), & maintain focus. Lee and particular has the talent to play in the NBA, but he tends to fade in and out game to game. In order for us to play to our potential, we need him locked in and scoring at least 15 pts/game.

I still believe we're one of the best teams in the league and I feel confident about the remainder of the season. MTSU is obviously the top team in the league, but they still have to come to Bartow. That rematch should be a great game.
01-30-2017 12:58 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Halfway through the conference season, comments and observations
Rice is much improved but still 0-5 against the top tier conference teams.
We have been in every game we played (except possibly LATech) and have not lost any game by more than 10 points. (Last year we lost 11 games by 11+!)
I'd hoped this might be our breakthrough year, but right now we're looking at a nice improvement to 20+ wins and hopefully at least a postseason invite to ya momma's post season hoops extravaganza.
We do have a long stretch coming up against mid- and lower- tier teams, if we can put a solid run together maybe we can claim a spot in the top 5 or 6 in conference.
Thought we'd have a couple more Conference wins at this point though.
01-30-2017 05:37 AM
Theflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
WKU isn't very good. I thought by now the returnees and newbies would have gelled better. They havent. The 3 grad guys play no defense. The returnees play very little. We have no point guard. J Johnson is the man, and our guards still don't realize it. Stansbury has 100 timeouts he thinks he's saving. BAD year!
01-30-2017 08:18 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Suck we continue to do.
01-30-2017 08:49 AM
Advertisement

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Screw basketball and football. I am gonna start going to our volleyball games to watch Kayla Simmons!04-jawdrop
01-30-2017 02:03 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(01-30-2017 02:03 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  Screw basketball and football. I am gonna start going to our volleyball games to watch Kayla Simmons!04-jawdrop

Wow !

https://bustedcoverage.com/2016/06/20/ka...-snapchat/
01-30-2017 02:53 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Volleyball is certainly an underrated spectator sport - especially when there is a lot of talent on the floor.
01-30-2017 03:03 PM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

(01-30-2017 05:37 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Rice is much improved but still 0-5 against the top tier conference teams.
We have been in every game we played (except possibly LATech) and have not lost any game by more than 10 points. (Last year we lost 11 games by 11+!)
I'd hoped this might be our breakthrough year, but right now we're looking at a nice improvement to 20+ wins and hopefully at least a postseason invite to ya momma's post season hoops extravaganza.
We do have a long stretch coming up against mid- and lower- tier teams, if we can put a solid run together maybe we can claim a spot in the top 5 or 6 in conference.
Thought we'd have a couple more Conference wins at this point though.

Rice has had the 3rd toughest slate thus far in C-USA play. Like you said I think their going to string off some wins coming up. I expected them to fight for the 4 or 5 seed in December and they'll have to get hot to attain those.
01-30-2017 03:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.