Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cincinnati Fans What are your thoughts on Robert Prunty?
Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Cincinnati Fans What are your thoughts on Robert Prunty?
ECU just hired Prunty formerly under Tuberville's staff to be our D-Line coach. Heard he is good recruiter. What are your thoughts about him and his coaching abilities as a D-line coach?
01-26-2017 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Cincinnati Fans What are your thoughts on Robert Prunty?
(01-26-2017 10:13 AM)Purplehook Wrote:  ECU just hired Prunty formerly under Tuberville's staff to be our D-Line coach. Heard he is good recruiter. What are your thoughts about him and his coaching abilities as a D-line coach?

Good recruiter, TERRIBLE coach.

Nearly every player on the DL regressed while he was coaching them. Mouhon, our all-Big East freshman who was projected as a Top 3 round draft pick after his freshman year turned into a non-factor, our DTs were consistently out of position and non-factors, and many of our DL commits ended up under-performing even tepid projections.
01-26-2017 10:20 AM
RIFRAF Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
(01-26-2017 10:20 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(01-26-2017 10:13 AM)Purplehook Wrote:  ECU just hired Prunty formerly under Tuberville's staff to be our D-Line coach. Heard he is good recruiter. What are your thoughts about him and his coaching abilities as a D-line coach?

Nearly every player on the DL regressed while he was coaching them. Mouhon, our all-Big East freshman who was projected as a Top 3 round draft pick after his freshman year turned into a non-factor, our DTs were consistently out of position and non-factors, and many of our DL commits ended up under-performing even tepid projections.

Well, talk about good news bad news.
01-26-2017 11:12 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
It was just a terrible staff. So bad that I actually think it's hard to evaluate individual coaches. Was he a bad DL coach or was he part of a completely broken down system? All I know is we couldn't develop a player to save our lives so nobody really cared how many stars people came in with.
01-26-2017 11:33 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
You'll lock down the recruiting in Danville, Virginia :).

As others have pointed out, there was not much progression with any of our DL. Texas Tech fans told us the same thing when he came over from Texas Tech with Tuberville.
01-26-2017 11:37 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(01-26-2017 10:20 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

[Image: Bill-Murray-Laughs-Then-Turns-Sad.gif]
01-26-2017 12:00 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(01-26-2017 11:33 AM)uccheese Wrote:  It was just a terrible staff. So bad that I actually think it's hard to evaluate individual coaches. Was he a bad DL coach or was he part of a completely broken down system? All I know is we couldn't develop a player to save our lives so nobody really cared how many stars people came in with.

I agree with this. There were so many issues on the DEE side of the ball under the TT regime. I think some of this is a reflection of the former "hands off" retired in place (RIP) head coach. Prunty is a solid man (on and off the field) and I believe he'll do better at ECU. Agree with everyone else on the positive recruiting end as well.
01-26-2017 12:23 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(01-26-2017 12:23 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(01-26-2017 11:33 AM)uccheese Wrote:  It was just a terrible staff. So bad that I actually think it's hard to evaluate individual coaches. Was he a bad DL coach or was he part of a completely broken down system? All I know is we couldn't develop a player to save our lives so nobody really cared how many stars people came in with.

I agree with this. There were so many issues on the DEE side of the ball under the TT regime. I think some of this is a reflection of the former "hands off" retired in place (RIP) head coach. Prunty is a solid man (on and off the field) and I believe he'll do better at ECU. Agree with everyone else on the positive recruiting end as well.

Agree. Good recruiter, great role model for the kids. I think he did a decent job, and a change of scenery will do him well.
01-26-2017 12:33 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Prunty is a good man and a fine coach and recruiter. You are lucky to have him. He'll help you recruit Tidewater and other parts of southern Virginia.
01-26-2017 12:33 PM
Advertisement

MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
I'll agree with everything that's been said so far. Good recruiter, terrible record as DL coach. That being said, he has excellent connections in ECU's region and should really help on the recruiting front. I'd say give him a chance on the coaching side. While his performance here was terrible, I wouldn't discount the possibility that he could do well under a different head coach. Remains to be seen.
01-26-2017 01:15 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-26-2017 12:33 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Prunty is a good man and a fine coach and recruiter. You are lucky to have him. He'll help you recruit Tidewater and other parts of southern Virginia.

Given your moniker, I'm assuming there may be a connection there.

I never once had a problem with the man, he was always open for a conversation and seemed to really care about the student athletes...I had a significant problem with the coach however. His players had absolutely zero growth, and in many cases actually regressed...the fact that we had one of the better pure pass rushers since Antwan Peek turn into a glorified contain guy under him does not speak well of his coaching acumen on the D-line. His connections were not worth what we were paying him, but they will more than likely help ECU out much more than they did us. Outside of the JUCO guys in his first year (Jordan and Hartsfield) his only impact recruit that I think he alone pulled was Tyson.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2017 01:27 PM by BearcatMan.)
01-26-2017 01:24 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

Very nice gentleman.

Had some success recruiting fur us early but really dried up the past two years.

I'll be nice about this. He's not exactly an x's and o's kind of guy. My guess is you guys hired him to tap into the VA prep scene.
01-27-2017 03:59 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-26-2017 12:33 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(01-26-2017 12:23 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Agree. Good recruiter, great role model for the kids. I think he did a decent job, and a change of scenery will do him well.

The Defense did actually improve with Prunty as the "Co-Coordinator." We had some pretty terrible DC's under Tuberville (Hank Hughes), so the bar was pretty low. But given that it was Prunty's first crack at such a position, I was OK with what they did.

The Defense wasn't the biggest problem last year. The Offense, on the other hand...
01-27-2017 04:04 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'm glad pretty much our entire staff was torched with CLF coming in and bringing in his own guys. I'll leave it at that.

In fairness though, you don't know how much of it was the coaches and how much of it was their 'leader' grandpa clown. I'm sure Prunty will do a fine job with another head coach.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2017 09:16 AM by Bearcats#1.)
01-28-2017 09:14 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(01-28-2017 09:14 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'm glad pretty much our entire staff was torched with CLF coming in and bringing in his own guys. I'll leave it at that.

In fairness though, you don't know how much of it was the coaches and how much of it was their 'leader' grandpa clown. I'm sure Prunty will do a fine job with another head coach.

Right on point. It is hard to tell how good the assistant is, when there is no leadership at the top. It is a good hire for you because of the proximity of ECU to his main recruiting area.
01-28-2017 11:26 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Good coach and a good recruiter. Strong ties to the Hampton Chesapeake Va. area.
01-29-2017 01:41 PM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(01-26-2017 12:33 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Prunty is a good man and a fine coach and recruiter. You are lucky to have him. He'll help you recruit Tidewater and other parts of southern Virginia.

That would be a nice addition then. ECU has done a decent job through the years in attracting Tidewater talent. But overall, I still think they have under-recruited this area. For all of Skip Holtz' success, he seemed to have written SE Virginia off.
01-29-2017 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.