WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some comments from Minnesota president Eric Kaler.
ejd_5277 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
Some comments from Minnesota president Eric Kaler.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/15/uni...rough.html

Prediction: this guy could be a HUGE thorn in PJ's side going forward. He's sort of our Judith Bailey, just in a different type of way. The administration there seems to be constantly at odds with the athletic department in some fashion.

Of course, winning big makes a lot of that go away. I could see PJ's schtick rubbing this guy the wrong way real fast though.

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 11:47 AM by ejd_5277.)
01-15-2017 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stogie13 Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Some comments from Minnesota president Eric Kaler.
(01-15-2017 11:46 AM)ejd_5277 Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/15/uni...rough.html

Prediction: this guy could be a HUGE thorn in PJ's side going forward. He's sort of our Judith Bailey, just in a different type of way. The administration there seems to be constantly at odds with the athletic department in some fashion.

Of course, winning big makes a lot of that go away. I could see PJ's schtick rubbing this guy the wrong way real fast though.

Thoughts?

That's not how I read the article. Sounded to me like Kaler needed to address the fact that despite all of the extra training athletes receive in sexual assault awareness it didn't have the impact that was desired. I'm willing to bet if PJ were consulted in this he would agree 100% with the statements made by Kaler.

The feeling I get living in Minneapolis is that Kaler and Coyle the AD are a bit of a package deal. Kaler has had trouble getting an AD to stick and really supports Coyle. This is also Coyle's first hire as AD and seems to have consulted Kaler heavily through the process of removing Claeys. If anyone undoes PJ's charisma it's the group of 60+ year old sports writers that turn a down year on the field into a bad media year for the Gophers and they feel compelled to move on.
01-15-2017 12:01 PM
goldsworth Offline
1st String

(01-15-2017 12:01 PM)stogie13 Wrote:  
(01-15-2017 11:46 AM)ejd_5277 Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/15/uni...rough.html

Thoughts?

That's not how I read the article. Sounded to me like Kaler needed to address the fact that despite all of the extra training athletes receive in sexual assault awareness it didn't have the impact that was desired. I'm willing to bet if PJ were consulted in this he would agree 100% with the statements made by Kaler.

The feeling I get living in Minneapolis is that Kaler and Coyle the AD are a bit of a package deal. Kaler has had trouble getting an AD to stick and really supports Coyle. This is also Coyle's first hire as AD and seems to have consulted Kaler heavily through the process of removing Claeys. If anyone undoes PJ's charisma it's the group of 60+ year old sports writers that turn a down year on the field into a bad media year for the Gophers and they feel compelled to move on.

Since there is not much in the way of a newspaper in Kazoo that covered the Broncos. Fleck didnt get much if any blow back, if he did he would just freeze them out like they didnt exist. Will be much harder to escape media scrutiny in Minney and they can make his life a bit uncomfortable if they see fit. It will be interesting if he can cast his spell on the media.
01-15-2017 12:12 PM
ejd_5277 Offline
Special Teams

Thanks for the perspective from up that way, Stogie.

I still wonder why the guy has so much trouble keeping his AD's on staff though...

In my opinion, (which is worth nothing frankly) the recent sexual assault scandal up there was mishandled by all parties...
01-15-2017 12:15 PM
FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Minnesota
(01-15-2017 12:12 PM)goldsworth Wrote:  
(01-15-2017 12:01 PM)stogie13 Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Since there is not much in the way of a newspaper in Kazoo that covered the Broncos. Fleck didnt get much if any blow back, if he did he would just freeze them out like they didnt exist. Will be much harder to escape media scrutiny in Minney and they can make his life a bit uncomfortable if they see fit. It will be interesting if he can cast his spell on the media.

The media will be a big challenge for Fleck, because it's one of those "major but not really major" markets full of eager-beaver reporters (almost none of whom graduated from MN) trying to make a name for themselves. And you do that by constantly stirring the pot, not by cheerleading/supporting the program, unfortunately. Drives me f'ing crazy. And one reason they get away with it is because there are too many Iowa/ISU/Wisc/NDSU grads living in the twin cities that love the negativity (they're there, of course, because there are no jobs in the towns of their own univ's but they take their college allegiances with them) and too many douchebag/feminist types in Minneapolis that don't give 2 sh*ts about the football team but love making political statements about campus sex assault and such.

I for one would like to see Coyle just ban the reporters who are constantly looking for the negative angle, but it'll never happen. Huge challenge for a football coach when the local media isn't somewhat "controlled" by the university because there will ALWAYS be issues when you are in charge of 100+ 18-22 yr old football players...you can have a great culture, etc but you're not going to win games with 100 choirboys (see your other thread about the WMU guy). Key is to "contain" those issues to what they really are, which is NOT what happened to us in this EEOA "scandal."
01-15-2017 02:16 PM
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:The media will be a big challenge for Fleck, because it's one of those "major but not really major" markets full of eager-beaver reporters (almost none of whom graduated from MN) trying to make a name for themselves. And you do that by constantly stirring the pot, not by cheerleading/supporting the program, unfortunately. Drives me f'ing crazy. And one reason they get away with it is because there are too many Iowa/ISU/Wisc/NDSU grads living in the twin cities that love the negativity (they're there, of course, because there are no jobs in the towns of their own univ's but they take their college allegiances with them) and too many douchebag/feminist types in Minneapolis that don't give 2 sh*ts about the football team but love making political statements about campus sex assault and such.

I for one would like to see Coyle just ban the reporters who are constantly looking for the negative angle, but it'll never happen. Huge challenge for a football coach when the local media isn't somewhat "controlled" by the university because there will ALWAYS be issues when you are in charge of 100+ 18-22 yr old football players...you can have a great culture, etc but you're not going to win games with 100 choirboys (see your other thread about the WMU guy). Key is to "contain" those issues to what they really are, which is NOT what happened to us in this EEOA "scandal."

Not sure you want to remove criticism of program from the media. We have UofM over here (Michigan) and the local media pundits were cowed by them and afraid to criticize their programs or issues for a long time. So, they turned their back on things they should not have until we had so many incidents they could no longer ignore it.

Strong programs weather the storms, they don't hide from criticism. Being able to deal with a negative press is a sign of a healthy program (or a healthy democracy). In the long run the relationship between UMinn and the media will find a balance, if you let things run their course.
01-15-2017 02:37 PM
Duckbutter Offline
Water Engineer

You have to understand something about Minnesota (I live here).... they will want no part in all of the rah rah BS that comes with Fleck. This state is very meat and potatoes when it comes to sports and they want a genuine , no BS article running their teams.

I have already had countless conversations with alums and fans who are wondering who the heck this guy is.

They are okay with the energy (you have to understand the culture, nobody here gets fired up) but the results and the "way" will matter.

This match of Fleck and Minnesota will be an interesting experience to witness. Like oil and water if you ask me.

Then you have the doom that almost any coach inevitably runs into with the Gopher job. They just cant seem to get out of town unscathed. Stuff just seems to happen.
01-19-2017 10:22 PM
stogie13 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-19-2017 10:22 PM)Duckbutter Wrote:  You have to understand something about Minnesota (I live here).... they will want no part in all of the rah rah BS that comes with Fleck. This state is very meat and potatoes when it comes to sports and they want a genuine , no BS article running their teams.

I have already had countless conversations with alums and fans who are wondering who the heck this guy is.

They are okay with the energy (you have to understand the culture, nobody here gets fired up) but the results and the "way" will matter.

This match of Fleck and Minnesota will be an interesting experience to witness. Like oil and water if you ask me.

Then you have the doom that almost any coach inevitably runs into with the Gopher job. They just cant seem to get out of town unscathed. Stuff just seems to happen.

Wins will take care of all of that. If he struggles and is all energy people might tune out to it. Fleck will definitely take the Minnesota sensibility out of their comfort zone but that may not be a bad thing. He'll get Dinkytown all whipped in the energy at least.
01-19-2017 10:46 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH

Thoughts?

He can't be too bright hired a coach that costs $10miilion more and still will not be good enough to go the Cotton or Orange Bowl.
01-19-2017 11:01 PM
Advertisement

wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
(01-19-2017 10:22 PM)Duckbutter Wrote:  You have to understand something about Minnesota (I live here).... they will want no part in all of the rah rah BS that comes with Fleck. This state is very meat and potatoes when it comes to sports and they want a genuine , no BS article running their teams.

My wife and I are big Garrison Keillor fans. It would be funny for him to speak on Fleck's enthusiasm in relation to the Norwegian folks who inhabit and influence your state. Too bad GK retired (or stopped his weekly appearance on Prairie Home).
01-20-2017 05:26 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Some members of Minnesota Board of Regents are publicly questioning coaching salaries, too.
01-20-2017 08:19 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(01-20-2017 08:19 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Some members of Minnesota Board of Regents are publicly questioning coaching salaries, too.

Not a bad thing to question.

D-I collegiate athletics, specifically football and men's basketball, has become a run-a-way snowball going down a hill. Nobody knows where it is going, or how long it will last, but everybody knows it can't continue its current pace and things are not going to end well. 04-jawdrop
01-20-2017 09:59 AM
Broncodan Online
Heisman

I Root For: Broncos!!
PJ better not bring that Chelsea Dagger song into Minneapolis or he will hear it, those fans are beyond SERIOUS about their hockey and the last thing they want to hear is that awful goal song of the Chicago blackhawks
01-20-2017 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Bronc33 Offline
1st String

(01-20-2017 01:16 PM)Broncodan Wrote:  PJ better not bring that Chelsea Dagger song into Minneapolis or he will hear it, those fans are beyond SERIOUS about their hockey and the last thing they want to hear is that awful goal song of the Chicago blackhawks

I didn't even think of that? Does this mean we bring back hot time!?
01-20-2017 04:09 PM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(01-20-2017 04:09 PM)Bronc33 Wrote:  
(01-20-2017 01:16 PM)Broncodan Wrote:  PJ better not bring that Chelsea Dagger song into Minneapolis or he will hear it, those fans are beyond SERIOUS about their hockey and the last thing they want to hear is that awful goal song of the Chicago blackhawks

I mean, we should. This really shouldn't be up for debate.
01-20-2017 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies

LOL. You'll still hear them occasionally chant "Secord Sucks".

That was thirty years and a relocated franchise ago.
01-20-2017 10:31 PM
CaptainSlow Offline
Water Engineer

(01-20-2017 04:09 PM)Bronc33 Wrote:  

I hope so. I liked Fleck, but that was the one thing that rubbed me the wrong way - you kick the extra point, you play Hot Time. It's just a rule of life. Don't complain about a lack of stadium traditions and then replace a good one.
01-23-2017 04:29 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

Oh come on. Chelsea Dagger was a good tune after scoring.
01-23-2017 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.