Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A proposition for UConn and Cincy:
Bookmark and Share
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
A proposition for UConn and Cincy:
New Big East for everything but football...and Mountain West for football. I think it's a decent plan. I believe us and you guys could get football-only spots in the MW as they would probably allow us the Hawaii rule due to geography. We would help their conference brand-wise and with eastern TV. They would help us by allowing us to keep our football at basically the same level while upgrading our basketball while we wait for a better offer (which we would make clear with them). We would have to give travel subsidies, but we would make much more with the NBE so that would be ok.

The divisions would look like this:
Mountain: UConn, Cincy, Boise State, Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St.
West: San Jose St., Utah St., UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, SDSU, Hawaii

Possible schedule down the road (for either of us) in this alignment: NC State, @Purdue, Illinois, @Indiana, UConn/Cincy, @ Boise State, Air Force, @Wyoming, New Mexico, @Colorado St, @UNLV, Nevada

This would pave the way for NBE basketball, which hopefully would still be a massive double round robin with both of us (22 games), which would leave us with 9 OOC games (3 tournament, 3 decent h/h, 3 pay games).

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017 08:42 PM by shizzle787.)
01-14-2017 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
RE: A proposition for UConn and Cincy:
Boy did you suffer in the war. negative twelve rep points.

01-14-2017 08:45 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(01-14-2017 08:40 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  New Big East for everything but football...and Mountain West for football. I think it's a decent plan. I believe us and you guys could get football-only spots in the MW as they would probably allow us the Hawaii rule due to geography. We would help their conference brand-wise and with eastern TV. They would help us by allowing us to keep our football at basically the same level while upgrading our basketball while we wait for a better offer (which we would make clear with them). We would have to give travel subsidies, but we would make much more with the NBE so that would be ok.

The divisions would look like this:
Mountain: UConn, Cincy, Boise State, Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St.
West: San Jose St., Utah St., UNLV, Fresno St., Nevada, SDSU, Hawaii

Possible schedule down the road (for either of us) in this alignment: NC State, @Purdue, Illinois, @Indiana, UConn/Cincy, @ Boise State, Air Force, @Wyoming, New Mexico, @Colorado St, @UNLV, Nevada

This would pave the way for NBE basketball, which hopefully would still be a massive double round robin with both of us (22 games), which would leave us with 9 OOC games (3 tournament, 3 decent h/h, 3 pay games).

Shoot, why stop there? Let's add the Sorbonne, Heidleberg, Oxford and Cambridge Universities, the University of Upsala and, just for good measure, the College of Cardinals. Maybe the Electoral College, too.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017 09:14 PM by colohank.)
01-14-2017 09:13 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i'm in

01-14-2017 09:16 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
while the AAC isn't perfect, its better than the MWC. Fu%$*& ESPN! The old big east was perfect for UC>.

01-14-2017 10:31 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
In business there was a rule that "there are no stupid idea so".

This idea is so stupid that I must break the real and say "STUPID!"

01-14-2017 10:35 PM
Advertisement

shizzle787 Online
1st String

(01-14-2017 10:35 PM)doss2 Wrote:  In business there was a rule that "there are no stupid idea so".

Explain why you don't like it then. You don't like playing a better basketball schedule? You don't like playing Boise State, Air Force, and UConn every year in football? You don't like your AD (after three years of paying exit fees) to be making $4 million more per year than now?

01-14-2017 10:50 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
There are no stupid ideas or questions, just stupid people.
Having said that, all our options suck. I can't really dog anybody for throwing around scenarios when we're stuck.

01-14-2017 10:56 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(01-14-2017 10:50 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(01-14-2017 10:35 PM)doss2 Wrote:  In business there was a rule that "there are no stupid idea so".

Explain why you don't like it then. You don't like playing a better basketball schedule? You don't like playing Boise State, Air Force, and UConn every year in football? You don't like your AD (after three years of paying exit fees) to be making $4 million more per year than now?

Football drives the bus. The MW is about a push in FB quality but do we want all away games being 2,3 or even 6 times zones away? I don't.

The new BE is not the old BE in BB. No SU, PU, UL, etc. What makes you think the BE would want a second team in Cincinnati? Also XU would fight it hard.

01-15-2017 12:57 AM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

MBB and FB should be de-coupled so that both can maximize fan interest and bring in the most $$$. MBB would fare far better right now if it played the current BE schedule vs. what the AAC has to offer.

The FB "bus" for most of the G5 is about to run out of gas, break down, and be abandoned on the side of the road.

We haven't come to grips yet with the fact that FB is on life support and will become a less viable option as time goes by and the $$ gap splits the P5 and everyone else to the point that the non-P5 programs may have to start shutting down or scaling down. Some DI's have done this already.

What nobody on this board can seem to wrap their heads around is that the "haves" don't want to share with the "have-nots". Likely the only future re-alignment will be the shedding of schools from the P5 so that the $$ is split between fewer schools to jack up both ESPN's and the P5's profit margin.

The only way this changes is if an act of Congress mandates a nationwide DI FB tourney in which every DI conference sends their champion with maybe a few wild-cards, and then you play for a NC.

Won't happen though.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 09:11 AM by Not Duane.)
01-15-2017 09:09 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Whether or not you agree with Shizzle's post, it clearly demonstrates that there is no easy answer at this point.

01-15-2017 09:20 AM
Advertisement

'nati streets Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bearcats
One good game between Georgetown and UConn, and UConn people go clamoring for the BigEast again. I don't fully blame them, I miss playing 'Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, Georgetown, etc but come on the current BigEast is not what it was... not close.

01-15-2017 12:25 PM
shizzle787 Online
1st String

(01-15-2017 12:25 PM)nati streets Wrote:  One good game between Georgetown and UConn, and UConn people go clamoring for the BigEast again. I don't fully blame them, I miss playing 'Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, Georgetown, etc but come on the current BigEast is not what it was... not close.

Perception wise it is still a power conference, and better than the SEC and Pac-12. They get high seeds in the NCAA tourney, unlike us. Watch you guys will get no better than a four or five seed if you go 30-4 or 29-5. Do that in the BE and you get no worse than a two seed. On Selection Sunday, the BE is one of the six power conferences. The AAC is not.

01-15-2017 12:42 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

The reality is that the Big East is NOT adding dis-similar institutions. So that door is shut. (Not to mention they've got Xavier already in that conference and so long as X is in there, UC will not be...)

So...yeah...Not happening.

01-15-2017 01:11 PM
Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2017 12:25 PM)nati streets Wrote:  One good game between Georgetown and UConn, and UConn people go clamoring for the BigEast again. I don't fully blame them, I miss playing 'Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, Georgetown, etc but come on the current BigEast is not what it was... not close.

Let's see...last year the BEast sent 5 teams to the tourney including the National champion, Villanova....the BEast recorded 8 victories in the tourney, which is quite respectable among the conferences that sent multiple members.

As far as current conference strength goes, in 2017, the BEast is ranked 4th out of 64 DI conferences, while the American sits at somewhere between 7th and 9th as determined by projected conference bids.

The Big East is doing just fine...especially considering that it has fewer members than several of the schools in front of it.

UC could do far worse than playing MBB in the BEast if that were an option.

01-15-2017 01:19 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think the AAC is having a down year in basketball. There are some traditional powers and rivals that haven't been performing up to par the past few years, including Temple, Memphis, etc. SMU and UConn should be perennial quality programs in the AAC. I don't think we can ever really count on Tulane, UCF, USF, or ECU in basketball. If UCF / USF could step up, it would minimize the low end of our conference, but we should be producing four or five tourney bids with that group.

I think this past season we saw the AAC reload on coaching talent. I don't think the football is going to get any better outside the P5. I think the American should be looking to poach Boise or BYU if they're interested in joining a conference now that the B12 has closed up.

01-15-2017 02:32 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I see this topic coming up on the UCONN board on occasion as well. It's so far from reality that any discussion of it is fruitless.

The Catholic Seven bought the Big East name and took a pile of cash from Fox Sports One on the bet they could drive viewership to a fledgling cable network. The verdict is still out on that. The remaining old Big East schools (AAC) took a pile of cash by selling the conference name and retaining millions in exit fees. And the AAC did an initial cable deal with ESPN which was low on cash but high on exposure.

Villanova won a title in the new Big East; UCONN won a title in the new American. UCONN women won the title and still dominate the national championship conversation. After solid performances by SMU, UCONN and UC last season, basketball is experiencing a downturn this season. It happens. Those programs will bounce back along with Tubby Smith's Memphis and Kelvin Sampson's Houston team. There will be plenty of quality competition again. There are down cycles for every conference (let's see how many B10 teams are ranked this week after Minnesota's loss yesterday).

American football's short history has posted some impressive wins during the regular seasons and in the Fiesta and Cotton Bowls. Does the AAC lack brand awareness? Absolutely; much work needs to be done in that area.

For Cincinnati, this is and will be home for the moment. UC needs to start winning AAC championships in men's basketball on a regular basis, beginning now. There are positive signs that the football 'Cats will get their mojo back with new leadership. It's far from perfect but many of us believe Cincinnati will still get a P5 call-up in the next few years.

Competitively, too much is made of conferences in some cases. DePaul never became competitive with all the money and exposure of the old Big East. And they're still lousy because they aren't committed to their own program. I choose to focus on what we have: a ranked team, a rich basketball tradition and a brighter future in football starting on signing day.

01-15-2017 02:32 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I think the AAC should be open to non-football expansion. I'm not saying it's 100% the right move, but it at least needs to be considered/discussed.

01-15-2017 05:20 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(01-15-2017 02:32 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  I see this topic coming up on the UCONN board on occasion as well. It's so far from reality that any discussion of it is fruitless.

The Catholic Seven bought the Big East name and took a pile of cash from Fox Sports One on the bet they could drive viewership to a fledgling cable network. The verdict is still out on that. The remaining old Big East schools (AAC) took a pile of cash by selling the conference name and retaining millions in exit fees. And the AAC did an initial cable deal with ESPN which was low on cash but high on exposure.

Villanova won a title in the new Big East; UCONN won a title in the new American. UCONN women won the title and still dominate the national championship conversation. After solid performances by SMU, UCONN and UC last season, basketball is experiencing a downturn this season. It happens. Those programs will bounce back along with Tubby Smith's Memphis and Kelvin Sampson's Houston team. There will be plenty of quality competition again. There are down cycles for every conference (let's see how many B10 teams are ranked this week after Minnesota's loss yesterday).

American football's short history has posted some impressive wins during the regular seasons and in the Fiesta and Cotton Bowls. Does the AAC lack brand awareness? Absolutely; much work needs to be done in that area.

For Cincinnati, this is and will be home for the moment. UC needs to start winning AAC championships in men's basketball on a regular basis, beginning now. There are positive signs that the football 'Cats will get their mojo back with new leadership. It's far from perfect but many of us believe Cincinnati will still get a P5 call-up in the next few years.

Competitively, too much is made of conferences in some cases. DePaul never became competitive with all the money and exposure of the old Big East. And they're still lousy because they aren't committed to their own program. I choose to focus on what we have: a ranked team, a rich basketball tradition and a brighter future in football starting on signing day.

If the better AAC programs spent as much effort on building their own conference as looking to bolt for a new one, we'd all be better off. The ratings are decent, and next TV contract should be a lot bigger.

01-15-2017 05:52 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2017 05:52 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(01-15-2017 02:32 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  I see this topic coming up on the UCONN board on occasion as well. It's so far from reality that any discussion of it is fruitless.

If the better AAC programs spent as much effort on building their own conference as looking to bolt for a new one, we'd all be better off. The ratings are decent, and next TV contract should be a lot bigger.

Time will tell, but I suspect that we disagree on what "a lot bigger" means, exactly.

01-15-2017 06:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.