WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fair-weather Fan
lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU
Fair-weather Fan
Lightning in the bottle is what we had.

Thousands upon thousands of alumni suddenly looked up WMU Football. Then started following and getting to know the roster, coaches, schedule etc.

No, we haven't been on Bronco Stampede for a decade debating the in and outs of 1-8 win teams.

But how - after catching the Fleck lightning in a bottle, you can all just succumb to "Support our Coach."

Lester may be better than Fleck (I don't think he will be) - but the idea that alumni, students, supporters, boosters of this program just lay down at the feet of Kathy on a hire that literally no one on this board supports. Not one of his stats inspires confidence. The fact that everyone just lays down is so shocking to my system.

Expect more my friends, my fellow alumnus. Expect your University to be great. Don't be sheep.

This is the road to mediocrity. Lester will not win a MACC here - and forget the 10 win seasons. Flushed.

KB's phone should be ringing off the hook with dissatisfied alumni.

So continue to support mediocrity. Hopefully in 30 years we strike oil again, and then we can watch as we piss the opportunity into the lake, as we're doing here.

I bid you farewell. It was beautiful while it lasted. But this shall not last. I hope we make the Idaho Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 09:02 PM by lancergolf1.)
01-13-2017 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WMUslappy1 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Fair-weather Fan
(01-13-2017 09:01 PM)lancergolf1 Wrote:  Lightning in the bottle is what we had.

Thousands upon thousands of alumni suddenly looked up WMU Football. Then started following and getting to know the roster, coaches, schedule etc.

No, we haven't been on Bronco Stampede for a decade debating the in and outs of 1-8 win teams.

But how - after catching the Fleck lightning in a bottle, you can all just succumb to "Support our Coach."

Lester may be better than Fleck (I don't think he will be) - but the idea that alumni, students, supporters, boosters of this program just lay down at the feet of Kathy on a hire that literally no one on this board supports. Not one of his stats inspires confidence. The fact that everyone just lays down is so shocking to my system.

Expect more my friends, my fellow alumnus. Expect your University to be great. Don't be sheep.

This is the road to mediocrity. Lester will not win a MACC here - and forget the 10 win seasons. Flushed.

So continue to support mediocrity. Hopefully in 30 years we strike oil again, and then we can watch as we piss the opportunity into the lake, as we're doing here.

I bid you farewell. It was beautiful while it lasted. But this shall not last. I hope we make the Idaho Bowl.

You're an alumnus? Gulp!
01-13-2017 09:07 PM
lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:07 PM)WMUslappy1 Wrote:  
(01-13-2017 09:01 PM)lancergolf1 Wrote:  Lightning in the bottle is what we had.

You're an alumnus? Gulp!

Well, you're a slappy, so you'll support whatever they offer.
01-13-2017 09:08 PM
kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Going from last in the MAC to #15 in the country. TONS of momentum and national exposure to at best #115 in a single week!!!! WTF!!!!!!!! I'm so pissed I cant even think straight right now. No way with the right hire would all that money have dried up. Back to mediocrity where I never thought we'd be again. Wonder how many players and recruits will stay now. No Div II school would've hired this guy and now he's our problem. Thanks KB! Thanks for sinking the ship! Hope i'm very wrong, doubt it.
01-13-2017 09:11 PM
lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:11 PM)kzoorob Wrote:  Going from last in the MAC to #15 in the country. TONS of momentum and national exposure to at best #115 in a single week!!!! WTF!!!!!!!! I'm so pissed I cant even think straight right now. No way with the right hire would all that money have dried up. Back to mediocrity where I never thought we'd be again. Wonder how many players and recruits will stay now. No Div II school would've hired this guy and now he's our problem. Thanks KB! Thanks for sinking the ship! Hope i'm very wrong, doubt it.

Rob, that's the problem. Who else was trying to hire Lester? No one.
01-13-2017 09:13 PM
PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wmu

You're an alumnus? Gulp!

What has he said that's inaccurate? You think all the new support continues with Lester? I'd be suprised if we break 15k average attendance next year.
01-13-2017 09:15 PM
Advertisement

lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:15 PM)PezKingGL1 Wrote:  

You're an alumnus? Gulp!

What has he said that's inaccurate? You think all the new support continues with Lester? I'd be suprised if we break 15k average attendance next year.

Now everyone starts to act as if they supported Lester from the start. Please, no one here is satisfied. The only people that are satisfied is KB and Tim Lester. The athletes aren't, students aren't, alumnus aren't and this board certainly wasn't 2 hours ago.
01-13-2017 09:19 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-13-2017 09:13 PM)lancergolf1 Wrote:  
(01-13-2017 09:11 PM)kzoorob Wrote:  Going from last in the MAC to #15 in the country. TONS of momentum and national exposure to at best #115 in a single week!!!! WTF!!!!!!!! I'm so pissed I cant even think straight right now. No way with the right hire would all that money have dried up. Back to mediocrity where I never thought we'd be again. Wonder how many players and recruits will stay now. No Div II school would've hired this guy and now he's our problem. Thanks KB! Thanks for sinking the ship! Hope i'm very wrong, doubt it.

4 years ago, who else was trying to hire Fleck? Give the guy at least a Springs worth of practice to make a judgement.
01-13-2017 09:19 PM
lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:19 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  

4 years ago, who else was trying to hire Fleck? Give the guy at least a Springs worth of practice to make a judgement.

Yeah, and we were 4-8. There was no risk to the hire, how much worse could it get?
01-13-2017 09:20 PM
WMUslappy1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:08 PM)lancergolf1 Wrote:  

You're an alumnus? Gulp!

Well, you're a slappy, so you'll support whatever they offer.

Thai you boomerang
01-13-2017 09:22 PM
PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

(01-13-2017 09:19 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  

We obviously have no choice but to give the guy a chance. But the momentum is gone. We're back to being just WMU.
01-13-2017 09:23 PM
Advertisement

Bronc33 Offline
1st String

You say 10 win seasons like its something we had a lot of. Fleck won more than 10 1 out of 4 years here.

You nailed the title though. You are a fair weather fan.
01-13-2017 09:25 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

You're an alumnus? Gulp!

In your second sentence, simply replace the name "Lester" with "NotFleck."

Only hard-cores like us followed each candidate's name and their detailed resumes.

Casual, less invested fans who filled Waldo simply know it won't be Fleck in 2017. From their perspective, names we bounced around here like Lester, MacPherson, Staten, Houston, Anesse, Cristobal, etc., are all one in the same (Wheatley might've gained some attention from the campus Walmarters for a short time).

The only name that would've turned heads was Les Miles. And who knows what happened with him, but I believe his "I'll consider a non-P5 job" talk was just talk. I'd bet the house there was no mutual interest.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 09:30 PM by Motown Bronco.)
01-13-2017 09:27 PM
lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:25 PM)Bronc33 Wrote:  

You say 10 win seasons like its something we had a lot of. Fleck won more than 10 1 out of 4 years here.

Expectations. There is no reason had we hired the right coach that we couldn't have 10-13 win seasons. Expectations.

Never said I wasn't - but you should expect your team to actually strive for success - not mediocrity. When they're doing the former, that's when I'm a fan.
01-13-2017 09:29 PM
kzoorob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
call me crazy but I gave PJ the benefit of the doubt from the start and even after the 1 win season. After hearing him speak I liked his energy and felt like I could give this guy 3-4 years to pan out. He sure did! THat was 4 years ago! We were supposed to take the next step up. This is NOT the same program it was 4 years ago and i'm honestly pissed that it appears we reverted back to old expectations and old thinking. Lester has shown NOTHING in his coaching resume to earn this job. NOTHING! We should have done better. That phone either didn't 'ring off the hook' or she had it in her mind to hire this guy from the get go. I'll always root for my Broncos 100% but this was a crap ass move that killed any momentum we had. I'll stop being angry in a few days and go back to wishing for the best but going from the mountain top of the G5 to the bottom of a gopher hole leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
01-13-2017 09:30 PM
PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

(01-13-2017 09:27 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

You're an alumnus? Gulp!

In your second sentence, simply replace the name "Lester" with "NotFleck."

Only hard-cores like us followed each candidate's name and their detailed resumes.

Casual, less invested fans who filled Waldo simply know it won't be Fleck in 2017. From their perspective, names we bounced around here like Lester, MacPherson, Staten, Houston, Anesse, Cristobal, etc., are all one in the same (Wheatley might've gained some attention from the campus Walmarters for a short time).

The only name that would've turned heads was Les Miles. And who knows what happened with him, but I believe his "I'll consider a non-P5 job" talk was just talk. I'd bet the house there was no mutual interest.

Solid points. I guess I have to realize the casual fan wouldn't know any of the names tossed around.
01-13-2017 09:31 PM
Advertisement

PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

(01-13-2017 09:30 PM)kzoorob Wrote:  call me crazy but I gave PJ the benefit of the doubt from the start and even after the 1 win season. After hearing him speak I liked his energy and felt like I could give this guy 3-4 years to pan out. He sure did! THat was 4 years ago! We were supposed to take the next step up. This is NOT the same program it was 4 years ago and i'm honestly pissed that it appears we reverted back to old expectations and old thinking. Lester has shown NOTHING in his coaching resume to earn this job. NOTHING! We should have done better. That phone either didn't 'ring off the hook' or she had it in her mind to hire this guy from the get go. I'll always root for my Broncos 100% but this was a crap ass move that killed any momentum we had. I'll stop being angry in a few days and go back to wishing for the best but going from the mountain top of the G5 to the bottom of a gopher hole leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

She had him in mind from the start. Wanted him 4 years ago, may have been the only interview she conducted this time around.
01-13-2017 09:32 PM
WMUslappy1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2017 09:29 PM)lancergolf1 Wrote:  

Expectations. There is no reason had we hired the right coach that we couldn't have 10-13 win seasons. Expectations.

Never said I wasn't - but you should expect your team to actually strive for success - not mediocrity. When they're doing the former, that's when I'm a fan.

1) Grab a dictionary
2) look up the word "leaving"
3) follow the definition per your earlier posts

Thank you
01-13-2017 09:33 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Rob, that's the problem. Who else was trying to hire Lester? No one.

The Bronco Spirit was! Bill Cubit looks positively upon it, so you know it's a good move. :)

In all seriousness, he's too much untested waters and nothing that stands out (excellent or sub-par). Since it's his former stomping grounds -- he Could shine. I'm not a FAN of her decision to go straight for Lester... but we shall see! He could prove to be more than adequate.
01-13-2017 09:34 PM
Bronc33 Offline
1st String

(01-13-2017 09:29 PM)lancergolf1 Wrote:  

If you think we'll be happy with mediocrity here you're crazy. I think lester will win more games next year than pj's first 2 years combined.
01-13-2017 09:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.