WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FYI Minnesota fans
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
FYI Minnesota fans
I cleared the registration queue today, and it included about a dozen Minnesota fans. Usually influxes like this don't cause problems, but if you get any trolls about PJ remember to use report post so mods can get a heads up.

04-cheers
01-10-2017 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Whinny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Iowa
RE: FYI Minnesota fans
My guess is that the Goofer presence here is more about trying to figure out what kind of animal this is that they've hired than to make trouble.
01-10-2017 08:16 PM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
I think he is a rabbit. Goes really fast but going to get eaten by bigger animals.
01-10-2017 08:35 PM
FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Minnesota
(01-10-2017 08:16 PM)Whinny1 Wrote:  My guess is that the Goofer presence here is more about trying to figure out what kind of animal this is that they've hired than to make trouble.

That is correct. And getting a sense for who would fit among the assistant coaches, although it's now looking pretty clear who's coming and who's not.

I feel for WMU, and wish you the best of luck in maintaining what PJ built. Easier to maintain than build to begin with. My earliest memory as a Minnesota fan was Lou Holtz leaving for his catholic dream school just as he was on the brink of putting us over the top, and taking all our recruits with him who won a national championship a few years later. I'm still bitter 35 years later.
01-10-2017 08:56 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Well, basically, I wouldn't have my expectations TOO HIGH about PJ. I think someone like him can light things up a bit better with a G5, where being a great recruiter can really really help. With that said, I would expect Minnesota to probably have a year of Adjustment -- nothing too shabby -- and then be on their way to 8W seasons. Basically, you found your next Glenn Mason.
01-10-2017 09:29 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2017 08:12 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I cleared the registration queue today, and it included about a dozen Minnesota fans. Usually influxes like this don't cause problems, but if you get any trolls about PJ remember to use report post so mods can get a heads up.

04-cheers

Thank you for delaying the process so we didn't get such a large influx. I imagine the majority of them have already forgotten they registered. 04-cheers
01-10-2017 09:29 PM
Advertisement

lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-10-2017 09:29 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  Well, basically, I wouldn't have my expectations TOO HIGH about PJ. I think someone like him can light things up a bit better with a G5, where being a great recruiter can really really help. With that said, I would expect Minnesota to probably have a year of Adjustment -- nothing too shabby -- and then be on their way to 8W seasons. Basically, you found your next Glenn Mason.

Todd, you're such a dick. You know PJ is going to have 3 straight 10-11+ winning seasons. Then off to wherever with Minn taking it up the a.s.s. On the way out.
01-10-2017 09:31 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Todd, you're such a dick. You know PJ is going to have 3 straight 10-11+ winning seasons. Then off to wherever with Minn taking it up the a.s.s. On the way out.

Saying he'll be the next Glenn Mason isn't being a d!ck. Glenn Mason was probably their last best coach. To make them a good, quality team.

No, I don't expect them to have 3 straight 10-11 W+ seasons. I think there's a chance he could of course go better, sure. Just like Wisky's coach leaving to Arkansas (which wasn't better, but more better for himself). I also think he could get stuck in mediocrity and not be quite the next Glenn Mason. Basically, I think it's somewhere in-between where he'll do WELL there... but no, not a 10/11 W team consistently to move on to the SEC. It'd be foolish to Automatically assume that.

I would say something more like after a year of adjustment -- going 8/9/10W for a few years in a row. Depends on their schedule. Again, for "par" expectations. Could be higher, could be lower. They got a good catch.
01-10-2017 09:36 PM
lancergolf1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-10-2017 09:36 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Todd, you're such a dick. You know PJ is going to have 3 straight 10-11+ winning seasons. Then off to wherever with Minn taking it up the a.s.s. On the way out.

Saying he'll be the next Glenn Mason isn't being a d!ck. Glenn Mason was probably their last best coach. To make them a good, quality team.

No, I don't expect them to have 3 straight 10-11 W+ seasons. I think there's a chance he could of course go better, sure. Just like Wisky's coach leaving to Arkansas (which wasn't better, but more better for himself). I also think he could get stuck in mediocrity and not be quite the next Glenn Mason. Basically, I think it's somewhere in-between where he'll do WELL there... but no, not a 10/11 W team consistently to move on to the SEC. It'd be foolish to Automatically assume that.

I would say something more like after a year of adjustment -- going 8/9/10W for a few years in a row. Depends on their schedule. Again, for "par" expectations. Could be higher, could be lower. They got a good catch.

You underestimate him.
01-10-2017 09:39 PM
FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

Saying he'll be the next Glenn Mason isn't being a d!ck. Glenn Mason was probably their last best coach.

Glen Mason won more than 8 games in a season once, in his 10-year run at Minnesota, averaged around 6-7 wins, and is known for some of the most epic collapses in CFB history. Claeys, who was basically an interim coach, won 9 games last year and (until it became apparent we were getting Fleck) many fans felt he got a raw deal. PJ has made a great impression so far, and love his offensive staff hires, but we were hoping he'd keep our DC (didn't happen) and he isn't going to have much of a honeymoon if a 9 win team turns into a 5 or 6 win team next year.

What kind of defense did you run under Fleck ... mostly 4-3, or 3-4? A lot of nickel with MAC spread teams? Exotic blitz packages? Strength in front 7 or back 7?
01-10-2017 10:36 PM
Potro Offline
2nd String

(01-10-2017 08:56 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  I feel for WMU, and wish you the best of luck in maintaining what PJ built. Easier to maintain than build to begin with. My earliest memory as a Minnesota fan was Lou Holtz leaving for his catholic dream school just as he was on the brink of putting us over the top, and taking all our recruits with him who won a national championship a few years later. I'm still bitter 35 years later.

Brace yourself fourthandlong. May very well happen to you again in the near future - if he is successful at Minn.
01-10-2017 10:40 PM
Advertisement

Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(01-10-2017 10:36 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  

Saying he'll be the next Glenn Mason isn't being a d!ck. Glenn Mason was probably their last best coach.

Glen Mason won more than 8 games in a season once, in his 10-year run at Minnesota, averaged around 6-7 wins, and is known for some of the most epic collapses in CFB history. Claeys, who was basically an interim coach, won 9 games last year and (until it became apparent we were getting Fleck) many fans felt he got a raw deal. PJ has made a great impression so far, and love his offensive staff hires, but we were hoping he'd keep our DC (didn't happen) and he isn't going to have much of a honeymoon if a 9 win team turns into a 5 or 6 win team next year.

What kind of defense did you run under Fleck ... mostly 4-3, or 3-4? A lot of nickel with MAC spread teams? Exotic blitz packages? Strength in front 7 or back 7?

Fleck isn't an X's and O's guy, so he is going to leave the defense entirely up to the coordinator. Don't know if your new guy fits what Pinkham's philosophy was. But we were a 4-3 with one of our LB's a hybrid LB/S type ala Peppers from Michigan. Kind of need that facing the offenses that we do. Pinkham's philosophy was mostly man to man with a good amount of blitzing.
01-10-2017 10:42 PM
FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

(01-10-2017 10:40 PM)Potro Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 08:56 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  I feel for WMU, and wish you the best of luck in maintaining what PJ built. Easier to maintain than build to begin with. My earliest memory as a Minnesota fan was Lou Holtz leaving for his catholic dream school just as he was on the brink of putting us over the top, and taking all our recruits with him who won a national championship a few years later. I'm still bitter 35 years later.

Brace yourself fourthandlong. May very well happen to you again in the near future - if he is successful at Minn.

B10 teams won't poach each others' head coaches. ND is the only other midwest threat I could think of. Is Fleck catholic?
01-10-2017 10:43 PM
PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wmu
(01-10-2017 10:43 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  

B10 teams won't poach each others' head coaches. ND is the only other midwest threat I could think of. Is Fleck catholic?

Lol. Enjoy your 4 years. You're in for a ride. For better or for worse
01-10-2017 10:46 PM
FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

(01-10-2017 10:42 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 10:36 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  

Fleck isn't an X's and O's guy, so he is going to leave the defense entirely up to the coordinator. Don't know if your new guy fits what Pinkham's philosophy was. But we were a 4-3 with one of our LB's a hybrid LB/S type ala Peppers from Michigan. Kind of need that facing the offenses that we do. Pinkham's philosophy was mostly man to man with a good amount of blitzing.

Good stuff, thanks.
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
We ran mostly 4 man fronts, nickel sometimes on third down/passing situations. I wouldn't say we blitzed often, just when the situation demanded it. Coach Pinkham and company got a lot of mileage out of smaller, quick DLmen-especially on the edges. They certainly seemed to play bigger than they were.

Our safeties made a lot of tackles, especially Justin Tranquill. DLmen were position players on running plays, LBers made the tackles. CB's, especially Phillips, played aggressive man-to-man and had a fair amount of pics.

Hard to say what he'll do at Minnesota, as he didn't take our DC with him.

As you can see from our forum comments there is more than a little simmering owing to PJ flipping 9 of our recruits-with weeks to go. But, he's a good HC, I think you'll enjoy the excitement he brings to your program. And he's great at spotting diamonds in the rough in a recruiting class. Don't be too hung up on Stars, a couple of our NFL bound players were 2 star athletes that were not highly recruited outside of Coach Fleck.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 11:02 PM by BroncoPhilly.)
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(01-10-2017 10:46 PM)PezKingGL1 Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 10:43 PM)FourthandLong Wrote:  

Lol. Enjoy your 4 years. You're in for a ride. For better or for worse

For richer or for richer.
01-11-2017 12:05 AM
ShutupandRow Offline
Water Engineer

Well, peej hired Robb Smith who coached under Pinkham at Rutgers. Runs the same defense as Pinkham (it's basically Pinkham's defense) with some of his own wrinkles. Worked very well at Arkansas his first year and then they trailed off the last 2 years there.
01-11-2017 12:54 AM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU & UofM

I think he elevates the program. He's a charismatic leader and he'll attract solid talent. but I think if he does get to the top of the B1G west the next "dream job" may present itself. We all knew that Fleck would one day leave Kzoo. and it's tough to estimate his ceiling because he is young and inexperienced. Maybe he stays at Minn and contends for several B1G championships. I hope they do as long as he beats OSU.
01-11-2017 02:32 AM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(01-11-2017 02:32 AM)WMUlaxer97 Wrote:  

I think he elevates the program. He's a charismatic leader and he'll attract solid talent. but I think if he does get to the top of the B1G west the next "dream job" may present itself. We all knew that Fleck would one day leave Kzoo. and it's tough to estimate his ceiling because he is young and inexperienced. Maybe he stays at Minn and contends for several B1G championships. I hope they do as long as he beats OSU.

He lied about Bryson White. Who knows what else he's lied about. I bet he takes that program down through some scandal, but he slimes off scot free.
01-11-2017 06:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.