Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oklahoman columnist: CMU biggest loser of bowl season ... because it won?
Bookmark and Share
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
Oklahoman columnist: CMU biggest loser of bowl season ... because it won?
It's hard to believe the whining continues over CMU's win over OSU, but in Oklahoma it continues. Possibly the dumbest column. Not only of course should CMU have given its win back, but by not doing so, according to the author, has sent America down a bad path.

Feel free to comment on the piece over there.
http://newsok.com/article/5531092
12-16-2016 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
RE: Oklahoman columnist: CMU biggest loser of bowl season ... because it won?
[Image: lays-lightly-salted.png?sfvrsn=2]
12-16-2016 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Warhawks222 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Payday & Friday
What is it with Oklahoma State people 03-hissyfit not being able to move on?

How long are they going to hold on to it?
12-16-2016 04:06 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
It's Oklahoma, where football is bigger than life and perspective long ago went sweeping down the plain.
12-16-2016 04:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
I'd read the article, but don't want to support click bait.
12-16-2016 04:17 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
I commented. Got to stick up for my MAC brethren.

They must really be hurting out there in Stillwater.
12-16-2016 04:31 PM
Advertisement

cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-16-2016 04:31 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  I commented. Got to stick up for my MAC brethren.

1. Dumb football coach calls a dumb and illegal play on what should be the last play of the game.

2. Officials throw a flag.

3. Dumb football coach says he never expected to see a flag thrown, apparently believing the play that is not legal at any other point in the game is suddenly legal on what should be the last play.

4. Officials apply common sense to the situation and give this small unworthy, downtrodden, less talented, poorly coached, financially strapped, opposing team ... which has been allowed to stay in position for an upset all game by dumb football coach - one untimed down.

5. Opposing team attempts a Hail Mary play, so-called because it's a total prayer that only succeed when the defense - which knows what's coming - fails to execute.

6. Hail Mary is answered - dumb football coach strikes again. Defense is not ready.

7. Later ... obscure rule discovered. Officials (on the field and in the replay) did not apply rule -- Dumb football coach, who thought above illegal rule would be legal on the last play .. does not know this rule, either.

8 Officials reprimaded and suspended for one mistake , dumb football coach (who made three mistakes) is not.

9. Fan/media outrage. Now joined by dumb football coach who started the whole fiasco in the first place.

10. Central Michigan still wins ... Justice and common sense prevail. All is right with the world.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 05:19 PM by cleveland.)
12-16-2016 05:14 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(12-16-2016 05:14 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 04:31 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  I commented. Got to stick up for my MAC brethren.

1. Dumb football coach calls a dumb and illegal play on what should be the last play of the game.

2. Officials throw a flag.

3. Dumb football coach says he never expected to see a flag thrown, apparently believing the play that is not legal at any other point in the game is suddenly legal on what should be the last play.

4. Officials apply common sense to the situation and give this small unworthy, downtrodden, less talented, poorly coached, financially strapped, opposing team ... which has been allowed to stay in position for an upset all game by dumb football coach - one untimed down.

5. Opposing team attempts a Hail Mary play, so-called because it's a total prayer that only succeed when the defense - which knows what's coming - fails to execute.

6. Hail Mary is answered - dumb football coach strikes again. Defense is not ready.

7. Later ... obscure rule discovered. Officials (on the field and in the replay) did not apply rule -- Dumb football coach, who thought above illegal rule would be legal on the last play .. does not know this rule, either.

8 Officials reprimaded and suspended for one mistake , dumb football coach (who made three mistakes) is not.

9. Fan/media outrage. Now joined by dumb football coach who started the whole fiasco in the first place.

10. Central Michigan still wins ... Justice and common sense prevail. All is right with the world.

THIS!!!!!! Best post ever.
12-16-2016 05:20 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Here's the bottom line of article writers like that who Lose their Integrity *at this point*. I can understand them whipping up an article the day after -- or even a week or maybe even two after -- but at THIS POINT? Here's WHY they lose integrity:

Most games are going to have bad calls. A bad call in any relatively close game can decide the winner and loser. So one would be of No Integrity if they think what I'm about to say plays no role in determining How Bad it was, or whether it was much bad at all:

- It was a NEW RULE. Not from the 70s. But from the 00s.

- Like any new rule that hardly ever is in question in a game -- it can be Flawed. It is a flawed rule. Why?

- What happened was NOT what the rule intended to stop. It was a FLAW in the rule.

- Hence, both officials on the Ground and up in the Booth (of both MAC & B12) -- INCLUDING OK-STATE'S COACH -- did NOT COME TO MIND TO APPLY.

- The rule was NOT intended for the winning team to be able to run out the clock on a 4th down via a penalty on turnover on downs as a game ends. It was to Prevent a losing team to still get a chance (basically wasting minutes) by stopping the clock on a penalty THEY created. It was Not intended for the Winning team to be In Trouble on Offense, to be able to end the game on a penalty. That concept was not forseen, like any New Rule that's susceptible for a need of tweaking.

- So in the end -- the Refs & Officials made the COMMON SENSE CALL that went against a NEWER RULE'S FLAW.

- That said, that call did NOT win the game for CMU. The CMU hail-mary play to score that winning TD was NOT FLAWED. Remember that. Too many people are acting as if That play had a wrong call on it. If so -- YES, I would more Agree with OK-State fans. But it was Flawless. No bad calls to score that TD. It was a play BEFORE. On a Common-Sense call that went against a New Rule's flaws in and of itself! So how many plays do you go BACK in a game to decide it's reversed -- when it's NOT the last play in which a call was in question?? Do you really do that at all, even when the bad call was ON A TECHNICALITY, flying in the face of common sense -- to the extent that ALL officials on the ground and in the booth + the other team's coaches ACCEPTED?!

No reason for OK-State to cry foul. Jesus. And this is coming from a WMU fan. :)
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 06:19 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-16-2016 06:18 PM
mpurdy22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miami (OH)

So did I. So tired of their whiny ****. Gettin' old. Grow up folks over at OSU
12-16-2016 08:42 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Stopped reading at "University of Central Michigan".
12-17-2016 12:13 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Heard about this on a Toledo radio show. Commentator was having lots of fun, especially at the comparison of CMU's refusal to capitulate to Baylor'scturning a blind eye to repeated sexual assault accusations and having CMU come out a loser. Apparently Stillwater is taking their humiliation nationwide.
12-17-2016 09:22 AM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
This is the thing, if the penalty benefited OKST, then this article would not have been written. The only reason it has gotten play is because OKST is P5 and the Cowboys were in the running for a major bowl.

In a way, the writer is right. In 1940, Cornell gave up a gift win. A sense of honor is nice. But here is my problem with the article, it is melodramatic as hell and it has been 3 months since the game. He had a good point but his way of representing it was like that of a hysterical teenage girl.
12-18-2016 12:29 PM
Love and Honor Online
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(12-18-2016 12:29 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  This is the thing, if the penalty benefited OKST, then this article would not have been written. The only reason it has gotten play is because OKST is P5 and the Cowboys were in the running for a major bowl.

Exactly, you can't act principled only when it benefits your side. The outcry about the Miami-Duke kickoff miracle died off after a week last year even though a far more obvious officiating error occurred when they missed the block in the back, but no one cared because Duke football is Duke football.
12-18-2016 12:40 PM
CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
I wrote this window-licking-crayon-eating @sswipe an email he won't soon forget! In point of fact, he's probably choking to death on a Christmas ham bone as I write this message. 01-lauramac2
12-18-2016 02:16 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:The only reason it has gotten play is because OKST is P5 and the Cowboys were in the running for a major bowl.

I agree. If it was Kent State vs FAU, nobody would care. It'd be just one 15 second reference on Sports Center as a filler, the day of the game, and that's it. :)

Quote:In a way, the writer is right. In 1940, Cornell gave up a gift win. A sense of honor is nice.

But my point is this: It wasn't a gift win to CMU. Executing a 100% Legitimate hail-mary to score is Not a gift given by any stretch of the imagination. And to be able to have that *1* (legit executed) play? Not a gift. It's Common Sense to allow it, which happens to be a TECHNICAL conflict with the new rule. And it wouldn't have been applied in 1940, 1960, or even in 2000. There's a Reason why both MAC & B12 officials, and OK-State's HC didn't pick it up. It's new & the situation at-hand didn't fit any rule thru the stream of common sense... hence any writer trying to say that technical violation on said new & flawed rule being a gift is more than a melodramatic reaction.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 04:05 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-18-2016 03:59 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
They are whiney little ******* down there but you can't officiate games based on common sense instead of the rule book. The win stands and should stand, but it should have been a loss and the game should have ended on the pass OB according to the rules. You can't have the refs changing the rules based on what they think is common sense.
12-18-2016 04:11 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:They are whiney little ******* down there but you can't officiate games based on common sense instead of the rule book. The win stands and should stand, but it should have been a loss and the game should have ended on the pass OB according to the rules. You can't have the refs changing the rules based on what they think is common sense.

But Nobody, including myself, is even implying one should officiate games based purely on common sense. Of course they should follow every rule no matter how standard or flawed it is, as standard operating procedure. My point is they have no reason to Gripe. Different calls in games have different Gripe Levels. They're claiming it's on a level that it's Clearly Not -- and those who even THINK of overturning the game due to it -- are contradicting themselves to a double-standard.

My point is: There is Little Gripe to be had. It's a newer & flawed rule which wasn't even intended for said play anyway as it goes against common sense (hey, newer rules can have their flaws). Given that, both MAC & B12 officials + OK-State's HC didn't stop things from Continuing, and the play Executed afterwards was 100% Legitimate with no bad calls at all -- yet they're ACTING as if THAT play was the one in which a bad call was made (like "His knee clearly touched the ground!").

There are so many bad calls in games out there that decide it, where the team would have had to punt instead of continuing a drive to run out the clock to win it (as one of many examples). This one? It wasn't the Hail Mary pass that was 100% Legit to win it. It was a PRIOR call. There's games where there's countless bad calls that have clearly hindered Team A from beating Team B. My point is that it was an UNCHALLENGED common-sense call that allowed merely *1* more play to be had, that yes, didn't fit a newer but flawed rule and technically should have been applied. Doesn't rank up there for whining past Sunday's paper the next day. It doesn't carry enough of the WTF-level that other ones do basically every week.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 05:33 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-18-2016 05:30 PM
TU 1978 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
Looks like the Oklahoman columnist was right. CMU is awful.
12-19-2016 05:34 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
No, it just shows OSU couldn't hang either in the MAC or AAC.
12-19-2016 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.