Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any JRE savages around?
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Any JRE savages around?
The number one thing I watch is the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. I don't know where Joe finds the time to do several 3 hour podcasts a week, but the content is outstanding, informative, in depth, and constantly cross checked for accuracy in real time by Young Jamie. Fantastic stuff.

I've been interested in cobbling together some sort of list of JRE-esk stuff ... "**** you should know they won't tell you in public school". And I figure if you're the kind of person that likes JRE, this probably tickles your fancy too.

Would this collaborative list interest folks as sort of a pinned topic on this board?
11-29-2016 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: Any JRE savages around?
I selectively listen to some of them. Always when Joey Dias is on.
11-29-2016 12:36 PM

(11-29-2016 12:36 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  I selectively listen to some of them. Always when Joey Dias is on.

You're an Uncle Joey fan 'eh?

LISTEN YOU MOO-MOO DON'T BE BRINGING THAT SUSQUEHANNA **** HERE JOE I TOLD YOU THAT'S NOT OK.

03-lmfao
11-29-2016 12:41 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Yesterday's episode with Jordan Peterson was fantastic. Highly recommended.
11-29-2016 03:23 PM

(11-29-2016 03:23 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Yesterday's episode with Jordan Peterson was fantastic. Highly recommended.

I'm severely backlogged. Listening to 872 today with Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson. I've learned more about geology in this 3 hour show than I did getting a STEM Bachelors. Sad.
11-29-2016 04:11 PM
ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

I Root For: Marshall
Java Runtime Environment represent.
11-29-2016 04:52 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
freakbitches
11-29-2016 04:54 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I have it in the background at work.
11-29-2016 04:55 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
Give Chris Plante a tumble. His podcast is out there, and he will be Nationally syndicated starting in January.

He's funny as hell, and relentless.
11-29-2016 06:24 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(11-29-2016 03:23 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Yesterday's episode with Jordan Peterson was fantastic. Highly recommended.

Agreed, that was a fantastic show.
11-29-2016 06:34 PM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Powerful GTS. I like most of his podcasts, but 90% of what Graham Hancock is BS, Carlson is great though.

Bill Burr is phenomenal when he's on, Louis Theroux is awesome, as is Dave Rubin. I always learn something from an episode though, unless it's John Anthony West.
11-29-2016 07:18 PM
Advertisement

(11-29-2016 07:18 PM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Powerful GTS. I like most of his podcasts, but 90% of what Graham Hancock is BS, Carlson is great though.

Bill Burr is phenomenal when he's on, Louis Theroux is awesome, as is Dave Rubin. I always learn something from an episode though, unless it's John Anthony West.

Graham's earlier stuff is definitely fringe. But I think he's on solid footing with no shortage of evidence that civilization goes back much further than we think and that there was a globally catastrophic event (probably asteroid impact) in recent past that caused an enormous die-off and a near reset of civilization itself. When you have that side of Graham with Carlson showing you evidence of epic catastrophic unimaginable flooding from an asteroid impact into the North American ice sheet .... suddenly everything falls into place. All the flood stories in all our cultures and religions. The mitochondrial RNA bottleneck. Everything just slides in SO nicely to that theory.
11-29-2016 07:24 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

Bill Burr is the best.

Zip...

RE-CROOT-UH
11-29-2016 07:27 PM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

(11-29-2016 07:24 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 07:18 PM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Powerful GTS. I like most of his podcasts, but 90% of what Graham Hancock is BS, Carlson is great though.

Graham's earlier stuff is definitely fringe. But I think he's on solid footing with no shortage of evidence that civilization goes back much further than we think and that there was a globally catastrophic event (probably asteroid impact) in recent past that caused an enormous die-off and a near reset of civilization itself. When you have that side of Graham with Carlson showing you evidence of epic catastrophic unimaginable flooding from an asteroid impact into the North American ice sheet .... suddenly everything falls into place. All the flood stories in all our cultures and religions. The mitochondrial RNA bottleneck. Everything just slides in SO nicely to that theory.

The problem I have with that is that a impact is certainly more interesting than the prevailing theory of the Younger Dryas warming, but none of us have the expertise to argue this, especially not Rogan. Hancock's job is to sell books and give talks, that's his motivation (finding the truth isn't reall) and he is certainly not balanced when talking about the evidence, or lack thereof.

I really don't buy that the evidence is overwhelming and the academics aren't listening because they don't want to admit that they're wrong, Carlson and Hancock may be right, but they are so one-sided about presenting their argument. There may be one or two such scientists, but most are reasonable people who want to find out the truth. There's certainly a place for left-field thought but he seems to have this ancient civilization theory and will find any evidence to support it (the Atlantis stuff was a little much) and ignore any evidence that contradicts it. I really like his idea of crowd funding some of this work though, if they are right then we need a way to find out and in this world of limited science funding the money can't be spent on every idea that we'd like to look into.
11-29-2016 07:38 PM

(11-29-2016 07:38 PM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  The problem I have with that is that a impact is certainly more interesting than the prevailing theory of the Younger Dryas warming, but none of us have the expertise to argue this, especially not Rogan. Hancock's job is to sell books and give talks, that's his motivation (finding the truth isn't reall) and he is certainly not balanced when talking about the evidence, or lack thereof.

I really don't buy that the evidence is overwhelming and the academics aren't listening because they don't want to admit that they're wrong, Carlson and Hancock may be right, but they are so one-sided about presenting their argument. There may be one or two such scientists, but most are reasonable people who want to find out the truth. There's certainly a place for left-field thought but he seems to have this ancient civilization theory and will find any evidence to support it (the Atlantis stuff was a little much) and ignore any evidence that contradicts it. I really like his idea of crowd funding some of this work though, if they are right then we need a way to find out and in this world of limited science funding the money can't be spent on every idea that we'd like to look into.

Scientifically speaking, the discovery that the Yucatan peninsula and southern Gulf was formed by an enormous impact -- the one that killed the dinosaurs -- is recent. I wonder if we'll eventually determine Hudson Bay or the Beaufort Sea was the hit that Carlson theorizes.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016 07:50 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
11-29-2016 07:49 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Bill Burr is hilarious.

Rogan is a pompous prick. Not that he doesn't have good points sometimes, because he does.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 02:17 AM by shiftyeagle.)
11-30-2016 02:17 AM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

(11-30-2016 02:17 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Bill Burr is hilarious.

Rogan is a pompous prick. Not that he doesn't have good points sometimes, because he does.

He's a good guy, just sort of a "dude bro" and pseudo-intellectual.
11-30-2016 03:31 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

(11-30-2016 03:31 AM)Kronke Wrote:  

As I said above, he just doesn't know enough to challenge some of his guests about their ideas but that's not surprising given that his guests' interests range from hunting and MMA through to sexual psychology, market theory and pygmies in the Congo. I think it's a great outlet to actually hear these discussions without much editorial oversight, you learn a huge amount and it's always interesting to hear from these people that aren't exactly going to be on Ellen or Conan.

He knows enough to ask intelligent questions, but not enough that it turns in to an academic debate, which doesn't make for great listening. I just think as a listener you have to take pretty much everything said by the guests with a huge grain of salt. He's always said that he has the guests on that he wants, it's as much for him as it is for the audience.

I do question his intelligence though, because he's been reading that book about coyotes for about 3 months now.
11-30-2016 04:47 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

(11-29-2016 07:24 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Graham's earlier stuff is definitely fringe. But I think he's on solid footing with no shortage of evidence that civilization goes back much further than we think and that there was a globally catastrophic event (probably asteroid impact) in recent past that caused an enormous die-off and a near reset of civilization itself. When you have that side of Graham with Carlson showing you evidence of epic catastrophic unimaginable flooding from an asteroid impact into the North American ice sheet .... suddenly everything falls into place. All the flood stories in all our cultures and religions. The mitochondrial RNA bottleneck. Everything just slides in SO nicely to that theory.

It could well be true and it's a nice theory. I just think if the evidence was that overwhelming then the academics would be on board, I really don't buy the idea that they're rejecting it because they built their careers on a different theory. People that do that are generally ridiculed, that's much worse for one's reputation than changing your mind when the evidence is apparent.

Carlson seems legit to me, Hancock just grabs on to anything circumstantial that supports his ancient civilization stuff. I don't know if he no longer believes some of the wacky stuff (ancient civilizations being technologically advanced, an ancient race living in Antarctica, crustal displacement theory) in 'Fingerprints' but I've never heard the details of that stuff brought up on the JRE podcast. I like to separate the interesting interpretations of our geological past from the rather strange ideas that can't really be proven.
11-30-2016 05:18 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(11-30-2016 03:31 AM)Kronke Wrote:  

now you know why I like him......nothing wrong with surrounding oneself with those that are smarter AND passing the doobie during the discussions as they are being had....

really don't get shifty's "pompous prick" thingy other than it doesn't align with his current cultural religious harmonies....in simpler terms, Rogan is an atheist too...

Rogan is a another mere sponge in observation/learning that enjoys tapping into themes the msm/church/agenda driven laureates are unwilling to touch in earnest....that's my kinda guy!
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 05:42 AM by stinkfist.)
11-30-2016 05:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.