Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P6 Talk is Foolish
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
P6 Talk is Foolish
Look gang, some of you love Aresco's so called P6 narrative but it's silly. Could it get us a couple million more per year per team? Maybe. And that's best case.

Before you rip me for being negative, read my entire post.

Here's the bottom line:

The AAC has the same problem the Big East did: No Flag ship blue blood.

Its that simple. The AAC has some good programs with solid support, great facilities, etc. but we don't have an OU, Michigan, or Florida State/Clemson type program.

The Big East didn't either (after MiamiFl left) and it was the least paid of the old BCS conferences and eventually lost the 'big boy status'. Had Notre Dame just joined for football the Big East would have remained at the Big Boy table. That's all it would have taken. One blue blood can carry the conference perception wise, money wise, etc. We don't have that.

If we had just one power program things would be different. That's all it takes. Look at the B12. They have UT and OU. Even Iowa State's president came out publically two weeks ago and said that if the B12 didn't have OU and UT they (the little 8 schools) would only be getting around $3mil/school/year.

Its just the way it is.

Bottom line: With no power/blue blood program the AAC will be underpaid, under valued, and we will never be a power conference. The B12 will lose OU/UT and when it does, they will lose their power status as well.

Enter P4
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2016 06:18 AM by Bearcats#1.)
10-27-2016 06:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: P6 Talk is Foolish
I totally agree.
10-27-2016 06:35 AM
pearland1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
Then let's gets UT and OU to moved to the AAC problem solve.
10-27-2016 06:40 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(10-27-2016 06:40 AM)pearland1 Wrote:  Then let's gets UT and OU to moved to the AAC problem solve.

ha

Now that would be a twist.....
10-27-2016 06:41 AM
acc4life Offline
Banned

I Root For: Yo Momma
(10-27-2016 06:40 AM)pearland1 Wrote:  Then let's gets UT and OU to moved to the AAC problem solve.

Like that would ever happen...lol
10-27-2016 07:02 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
So you're saying we need SMU to start cheating again and once more ascend to the top of college football in order to carry the rest of us to P6 status? Go Mustangs Go! Get us the money!
10-27-2016 07:14 AM
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I know you're joking, but it might not be a bad idea. We could work with our TV partners to make a run at UT and OU in 2025. Those two schools with our existing markets may be worth more than the current B12 lineup will be.
10-27-2016 07:14 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Cloudy the future is. No one knows the ramifications of the expiration of media deals and GORs. It may result in opportunities. Meanwhile, it is wise to make the best of our current situation and I commend our Commissioner for his efforts to elevate the AAC as much as feasible.
10-27-2016 07:23 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(10-27-2016 06:17 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Look gang, some of you love Aresco's so called P6 narrative but it's silly. Could it get us a couple million more per year per team? Maybe. And that's best case.

While I don't think the AAC will get Big XII tv money as it is currently configured, I do think a significant increase is possible.

http://americanrx.blogspot.com/2016/10/t...-espn.html

(10-27-2016 06:17 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  The AAC has the same problem the Big East did: No Flag ship blue blood.

(10-27-2016 07:14 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  

I know you're joking, but it might not be a bad idea. We could work with our TV partners to make a run at UT and OU in 2025. Those two schools with our existing markets may be worth more than the current B12 lineup will be.

Intriguing thought... how could the AAC lure UT and OU? I do think there might be something to the "existing markets" concept, but the devil is in the details. IF you could put together a "best of Big XII + AAC" confererence then yes, it would make more money. The problem: getting the leftovers from each group to agree to it! What if the best possible league doesn't include SMU and Tulsa... why would they ever be in favor of that?

Now you might be able to get UT and OU to join as partial members with a "Notre Dame/ACC" type deal...
10-27-2016 07:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
acc4life Offline
Banned

I Root For: Yo Momma
(10-27-2016 06:17 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Look gang, some of you love Aresco's so called P6 narrative but it's silly. Could it get us a couple million more per year per team? Maybe. And that's best case.

Here's the bottom line:

Its that simple. The AAC has some good programs with solid support, great facilities, etc. but we don't have an OU, Michigan, or Florida State/Clemson type program.

The Big East didn't either (after MiamiFl left) and it was the least paid of the old BCS conferences and eventually lost the 'big boy status'. Had Notre Dame just joined for football the Big East would have remained at the Big Boy table. That's all it would have taken. One blue blood can carry the conference perception wise, money wise, etc. We don't have that.

If we had just one power program things would be different. That's all it takes. Look at the B12. They have UT and OU. Even Iowa State's president came out publically two weeks ago and said that if the B12 didn't have OU and UT they (the little 8 schools) would only be getting around $3mil/school/year.

Its just the way it is.

Bottom line: With no power/blue blood program the AAC will be underpaid, under valued, and we will never be a power conference. The B12 will lose OU/UT and when it does, they will lose their power status as well.

Enter P4

If only Penn State had been allowed to join the Big East...
10-27-2016 07:27 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

(10-27-2016 07:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

While I don't think the AAC will get Big XII tv money as it is currently configured, I do think a significant increase is possible.

http://americanrx.blogspot.com/2016/10/t...-espn.html

(10-27-2016 06:17 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  The AAC has the same problem the Big East did: No Flag ship blue blood.

(10-27-2016 07:14 AM)SteveUCF19 Wrote:  

Intriguing thought... how could the AAC lure UT and OU? I do think there might be something to the "existing markets" concept, but the devil is in the details. IF you could put together a "best of Big XII + AAC" confererence then yes, it would make more money. The problem: getting the leftovers from each group to agree to it! What if the best possible league doesn't include SMU and Tulsa... why would they ever be in favor of that?

Now you might be able to get UT and OU to join as partial members with a "Notre Dame/ACC" type deal...

They would never agree to it. That's why we keep our conference intact and add. We would probably have to take OSU and TT as well. That would give us 16 schools. The leftovers would be in the B12 and they wouldn't have to agree to it.
10-27-2016 07:37 AM
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

(10-27-2016 07:27 AM)acc4life Wrote:  

Here's the bottom line:

Its just the way it is.

Enter P4

If only Penn State had been allowed to join the Big East...

Penn State would've eventually left just like Miami, VT, BC, Pitt & BC did.
10-27-2016 07:39 AM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
(10-27-2016 06:17 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Look gang, some of you love Aresco's so called P6 narrative but it's silly. Could it get us a couple million more per year per team? Maybe.

"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"

If all this P6 talk only netted each team $2 mill more per year from the tv deal, wouldn't you want Aresco to pursue that?

We don't have a blue blood, and we will never have a blue blood. That doesn't mean the AAC should just pack up and leave money on the table.
10-27-2016 07:40 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I don't think anyone expects the AAC to get money like the other conferences. I think what Aresco's main objective is reputation and playoff consideration. While we may not be able to get the $$, if we have inclusion in regard to future playoff changes (like if they go to 8) then our perception and value will continue to go up.
10-27-2016 07:46 AM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
We don't need to become peers with the SEC to be more successful than we are now. Make the public see that the only thing keeping us back is lack of an elite flagship... that Houston, Temple, and USF are just as strong as Texas Tech, Pitt, and Miami.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2016 08:05 AM by MechaKnight.)
10-27-2016 08:04 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

(10-27-2016 08:04 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  We don't need to become peers with the SEC to be more successful than we are now. Make the public see that the only thing keeping us back is lack of an elite flagship... that Houston, Temple, and USF are just as strong as Texas Tech, Pitt, and Miami.

Exactly. We're pretty much being judged on the clothes we wear.
10-27-2016 08:10 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I like the P6 talk. The constant power talk is good if they try to break away. Hopefully the AAC will be the cutoff or maybe a few MWC can also make it. I never expect SEC share of playoff $$$, but we should get at least 3x that of the c-usa, sunbelt, and Mac

CUSA, sunbelt, and MAC have no business in D-1 outside of a few teams.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2016 08:14 AM by KNIGHTTIME.)
10-27-2016 08:12 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(10-27-2016 07:40 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(10-27-2016 06:17 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Look gang, some of you love Aresco's so called P6 narrative but it's silly. Could it get us a couple million more per year per team? Maybe.

"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"

If all this P6 talk only netted each team $2 mill more per year from the tv deal, wouldn't you want Aresco to pursue that?

We don't have a blue blood, and we will never have a blue blood. That doesn't mean the AAC should just pack up and leave money on the table.

Exactly. I don't think it's realistic by any means but there's no downside at all to it. It's not like selling this narrative is gonna make the networks pay us less. I'm sure in the back of his mind his real goal is to get there to be a true separation between the AAC and the rest of the G5 and to have the AAC viewed as closer to the P5 than the G5. It doesn't sound as good to say "we want to be a tweener conference." So yeah I don't think it has any shot to happen but sell away because everyone in this league looks like they are gonna be here till at least the end of the B12 GOR so it's time to make it as good as it can be.
10-27-2016 08:13 AM
kmfloyd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Seems the likely outcome, once the Big12 impodes is that the leftovers will be divided up between the MWC and AAC. You'll then have the P4 and 2 conferences just below P4 that will split the money perviously paid to the Big12, so 10-15 mil per school. Certainly not P4 money but way better than now. If you add to that each of the MWC and AAC champions get a place in a New Year's Day bowl and a slim chance of getting to the playoffs and everyone's happy. Well, most everyone.
10-27-2016 08:20 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(10-27-2016 06:41 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

ha

Now that would be a twist.....

We could also ask Iowa State and Kansas to do presentations.

Tell them they're guaranteed at least one win in conference football a season against Cincinnati.
10-27-2016 08:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.