Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When is America going to win the World Cup???
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
I'm tired of our country always going home empty handed when it comes to the World Cup. I want to bring that trophy to the U.S.A.!!!!!!
10-26-2016 10:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: When is America going to win the World Cup???
When Americans are willing to put pro soccer over the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. I a willing to give MLS some props and they are moving in the right direction but until they supplant one of the main 4 we won't win a World Cup.
10-26-2016 11:33 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
We don't have that "x factor" when it comes to international play. We may come close someday, but I doubt we ever cross the threshold when we're lined up against Brazil/Germany/Netherlands/Argentina-caliber teams of the world
10-27-2016 09:09 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
We really have the wrong kids advancing in the system. It's the well-to-do suburban kids.
10-27-2016 09:26 AM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
If you look at successful soccer countries they have a much better development system which involves professional clubs and training academies. In the US they rely on high schools and travel teams, and eventually universities. The US will never be close until they develop a European type model where talented kids are thrown in the deep end at a very early age and taught the game by professional coaches.
10-27-2016 11:58 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
MLS teams have academies but they are far behind those of elite European teams.

Pay-to-play youth soccer doesn't develop elite players. It's a broken system. It excludes those who can't afford to pay and pay and pay. It's an industry that keeps coaches employed (by the affluent families who do pay) and trains large numbers of kids for college soccer scholarships (because that's what those paying families want). Pay-to-play fails to identify and develop the very best players, who should be trained to be ready for MLS at least and for top international competition ideally.

And pointing the most talented players to college soccer is also a mistake. College soccer doesn't have enough games, doesn't have enough top-notch coaching, and worst of all has unlimited substitution, which changes the game substantially and doesn't prepare players for elite competition. Our most talented players, even anyone talented enough for MLS, should not spend four prime development years in college soccer.
10-27-2016 01:38 PM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
No time in the near future. The recent US/Argentina Copa match showed just how far we have to go. Looked like kids playing against professionals and our players were in awe of their heroes, etc. Maybe one day, but I'm thinking not in our lifetime.
10-28-2016 08:15 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(10-27-2016 11:58 AM)niuco90 Wrote:  If you look at successful soccer countries they have a much better development system which involves professional clubs and training academies. In the US they rely on high schools and travel teams, and eventually universities. The US will never be close until they develop a European type model where talented kids are thrown in the deep end at a very early age and taught the game by professional coaches.

The Chicago Fire have an academy. I think it is located in St Charles.
http://www.chicago-fire.com/academy

MLS is nice. I am a Fire season ticket holder.
10-28-2016 10:04 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
First we must take a hard look at the MLS. There are no teams in Mexico. Why? A lot of quality players and teams could be developed to challenge American players. Just a thought.
10-29-2016 06:09 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(10-29-2016 06:09 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  First we must take a hard look at the MLS. There are no teams in Mexico. Why? A lot of quality players and teams could be developed to challenge American players. Just a thought.
Because Mexico already have a division one league and Mexico's FA would give us the middle finger, there is a continental competition during the year though, the CCL.

Sent from my C6743 using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2016 08:04 AM by DexterDevil.)
10-29-2016 08:03 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
When our youth coaches actually know the sport, when colleges adjust the rules to more closely follow international rules, when more than just MLS clubs have pro, semi-pro, and amateur reserve squads for training players and getting them additional playing time.

Sent from my C6743 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-29-2016 08:09 AM
Advertisement

TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
When high school soccer and NCAA control is gone. Players can't take 4 months off without training at a high level and avoid paying a price.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 05:32 PM by TiggerFan.)
11-07-2016 05:31 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(10-28-2016 10:04 AM)chess Wrote:  
(10-27-2016 11:58 AM)niuco90 Wrote:  If you look at successful soccer countries they have a much better development system which involves professional clubs and training academies. In the US they rely on high schools and travel teams, and eventually universities. The US will never be close until they develop a European type model where talented kids are thrown in the deep end at a very early age and taught the game by professional coaches.

Sorry to hear that! Season tickets to awful soccer is awful.

I am a former SJ Earthquakes season ticket holder. I really do enjoy MLS and hope it continues to improve in the US.

The US would dominate in soccer if our best athletes played the sport. Of course, we will need to develop better coaches too.
11-08-2016 03:10 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
We won World Wars.

Those are better.

Why does America have to love soccer? Let the rest of the world be in a clique.
11-08-2016 04:27 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(11-08-2016 03:10 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(10-28-2016 10:04 AM)chess Wrote:  

Sorry to hear that! Season tickets to awful soccer is awful.

I am a former SJ Earthquakes season ticket holder. I really do enjoy MLS and hope it continues to improve in the US.

The US would dominate in soccer if our best athletes played the sport. Of course, we will need to develop better coaches too.
We can import coaches and import players.

I think the challenge is that MLS, while trying to run a good business model, doesn't pay the players enough. Why play MLS soccer when you can play in a secondary European league and make more money?

MLS soccer is "double-A" soccer (to use a baseball analogy). at best. The Fire are awful.
11-10-2016 12:29 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(10-27-2016 09:26 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  We really have the wrong kids advancing in the system. It's the well-to-do suburban kids.

That argument would make sense if not for the fact that France, Germany, Italy and Spain have won WC in my lifetime. I don't think the majority of their players are coming from poverty and desperation

Besides, soccer has got to be the cheapest major organized sport to play. The interest in general, just doesn't exist. Nor would we ID kids from an early age and put them soccer camps for a decade.
11-10-2016 09:20 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(11-10-2016 09:20 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(10-27-2016 09:26 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  We really have the wrong kids advancing in the system. It's the well-to-do suburban kids.

That argument would make sense if not for the fact that France, Germany, Italy and Spain have won WC in my lifetime. I don't think the majority of their players are coming from poverty and desperation

Besides, soccer has got to be the cheapest major organized sport to play. The interest in general, just doesn't exist. Nor would we ID kids from an early age and put them soccer camps for a decade.

The interest in soccer at the recreational level is absolutely there. It just doesn't translate into developing kids into elite players because we don't have an effective system for developing players. Instead we funnel kids into pay to play "travel soccer" programs that (a) turn good players into very good players but never get any through the very-good ceiling, and (b) are limited to families with the money to pay and pay and pay and the time to accommodate the travel-soccer schedule.
11-12-2016 12:25 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(11-12-2016 12:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The interest in soccer at the recreational level is absolutely there. It just doesn't translate into developing kids into elite players because we don't have an effective system for developing players. Instead we funnel kids into pay to play "travel soccer" programs that (a) turn good players into very good players but never get any through the very-good ceiling, and (b) are limited to families with the money to pay and pay and pay and the time to accommodate the travel-soccer schedule.

Most NBA players these days play on the And 1 tour and someone is bankrolling that.
11-13-2016 08:28 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
The Day After Never!!!
11-15-2016 04:50 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(11-13-2016 08:28 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(11-12-2016 12:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Most NBA players these days play on the And 1 tour and someone is bankrolling that.

Who plays on the And1 Tour?
11-16-2016 02:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.