WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Early Rumor - Tom Herman to Texas
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Early Rumor - Tom Herman to Texas
Just heard on Russillo and Kanell that its being reported that Tom Herman to Texas is all but official... Still early... could be nothing but rumor.

If true... that means that the Houston gig opens up... Ive said before... that gig would be an obvious next spot for Fleck... Would look quite like the Brian Kelly to Cinci move years back... Perfect next step. A place where he doesn't have to rebuild entirely... can still win and in a couple years leap to a high end P5.
10-25-2016 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bossman68 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Football
RE: Early Rumor - Tom Herman to Texas
No way he goes to another G5 school, he would stay at WMU before that happens.
10-25-2016 01:28 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

Yeah, it seems like our program just moved into the left lane to pass Houston's.
10-25-2016 01:32 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2016 01:32 PM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  Yeah, it seems like our program just moved into the left lane to pass Houston's.

Well except for that $3 million salary.
10-25-2016 01:35 PM
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

Everything about this situation screams scummy on Texas' part. Fire Strong already if you're going to go coach hunting.
10-25-2016 01:36 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I hope you are correct. Looks like WMU is starting to raid the coffers for more money to attempt to keep Fleck around for a few more years.... My bet is that PJ may be working at getting his staff better pay... He needs to keep the OC/DC in Kalamazoo if he decides to stick around...
10-25-2016 01:36 PM
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
"Raid the coffers". Good grief.
10-26-2016 09:44 AM
Moomba Offline
Banned

I Root For: Pers's new id's
This just in, WMU has "coffers".
10-26-2016 09:48 AM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

They keep them buried at the 8 yard line at Waldo Stadium, signifying the last MAC Championship in 1988. The coffers were easier to raid when Waldo had real grass but now that it's artificial turf it has proven to be a little more difficult to raid.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 09:57 AM by Nacho.)
10-26-2016 09:57 AM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

Coffers? Mr. Gores coming down with a cold?
10-26-2016 10:33 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Fleck has obviously done a great job building our program into a winning one, and creating enthusiasm and interest including beyond Kalamazoo.

The team is having a special season. Would be great if we could finish the year with a MAC championship and bowl win.

Only he will know what it will take to keep him here to build on what he, staff, and players have started with the help of the university and boosters, or leave.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 02:23 PM by MajorHoople.)
10-26-2016 02:13 PM
Advertisement

GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(10-26-2016 02:13 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Fleck has obviously done a great job building our program into a winning one, and creating enthusiasm and interest including beyond Kalamazoo.

The team is having a special season. Would be great if we could finish the year with a MAC championship and bowl win.

Only he will know what it will take to keep him here to build on what he, staff, and players have started with the help of the university and boosters, or leave.

Based on what has happened with other MAC coaches, I seriously doubt Fleck will stay under any circumstances. Meyer, Hoke, Kelly, Jones, Barber, etc, etc, have all moved on. Objectively, why would Fleck be any different?

The only thing that could potentially keep him at WMU is Kalamazoo is a more compelling place to live than the towns of most other MAC schools. The AD and university have also embraced and supported him through good times and bad, unlike some of the other MAC coaches who moved on. I remember Brian Kelly's wife hated Mount Pleasant.

That said, as you and others have pointed out, Fleck will be offered "lottery" money. Hard to turn that down because you are in a "no-lose" situation financially.

Of course, there is A LOT of football remaining and a few loses could assure Fleck does stay whether he wants to or not (see Gary Darnell @ CMU 2001 03-puke). Wins are more meaningful, and difficult to achieve, in November when championships are won.
10-26-2016 02:42 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Until we hear otherwise from him, we should believe what he has said about how he feels about WMU and Kalamazoo.

If he decides to leave for another challenge-opportunity, who could blame him?
10-26-2016 02:52 PM
Potro Offline
2nd String

(10-26-2016 02:42 PM)GullLake Wrote:  Of course, there is A LOT of football remaining and a few loses could assure Fleck does stay whether he wants to or not (see Gary Darnell @ CMU 2001 03-puke). Wins are more meaningful, and difficult to achieve, in November when championships are won.

I think you are referring to the 2000 loss in Mt Pee, when we won the West and CMU was our only blemish in conference play.
10-26-2016 03:02 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(10-26-2016 03:02 PM)Potro Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 02:42 PM)GullLake Wrote:  Of course, there is A LOT of football remaining and a few loses could assure Fleck does stay whether he wants to or not (see Gary Darnell @ CMU 2001 03-puke). Wins are more meaningful, and difficult to achieve, in November when championships are won.

I think you are referring to the 2000 loss in Mt Pee, when we won the West and CMU was our only blemish in conference play.

Yes, it was 2000. Thank you for the correction.

The loss torpedoed WMU's season, psychologically, and Darnell's credibility for his job search. It set the stage for the MAC Championship Game loss at Marshall.
10-26-2016 03:52 PM
BaldingBroncoFan Online
1st String

I Root For:
IF, and it is a big if, the Broncos make it to a New Years Day Bowl I suppose the $$ windfall could be used towards salaries. Other than that I don't know where they could find the money to keep him around.
10-26-2016 04:09 PM
Advertisement

tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

There are also young children involved. Don't know or care to inquire about the specifics of custody agreements, but it can factor into the decision. PJ could stay in Kalamazoo another 10 years and put $10 million in the bank, have all the kids move on to college, and then still take on a big P5 job as probably one of the youngest P5 coaches around at age 45. But will the iron still be hot in 10 years?

If PJ wants a blueprint, he should look at Chris Peterson. Stayed almost a decade at Boise and look where his career is now.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 04:31 PM by tayle's mullet.)
10-26-2016 04:26 PM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

(10-26-2016 04:09 PM)BaldingBroncoFan Wrote:  Other than that I don't know where they could find the money to keep him around.

Really, you don't know where? Or more specifically, from whom?
10-26-2016 04:28 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

It just so happens that USA Today recently updated their coaching salaries database. Pretty big eye-opener to see how far WMU is behind on compensation for the head ball coach.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
10-26-2016 04:32 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2016 04:32 PM)Nacho Wrote:  It just so happens that USA Today recently updated their coaching salaries database. Pretty big eye-opener to see how far WMU is behind on compensation for the head ball coach.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Far behind who? Big Ten and SEC coaches?

He's the highest paid MAC coach by over $100k not including incentives.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016 04:51 PM by MajorHoople.)
10-26-2016 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.