Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Big XII rejection or NFL rejectionS for our beloved city...
Bookmark and Share
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
Big XII rejection or NFL rejectionS for our beloved city...
I know what Caulkins thinks......

Which is worse in your opinion and why?
10-17-2016 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Big XII rejection or NFL rejectionS for our beloved city...
NFL
10-17-2016 08:19 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

WGAF about the NFL when we got the Grizz?
10-17-2016 08:27 PM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

NFL, with a good ownership group, could've had a significant positive impact on this city -- much more so than the UofM joining another soon-to-be-downgraded conference.
10-17-2016 08:57 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
Nfl
10-17-2016 09:01 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

Failing to get the NFL, not putting I40 through Overton Park, and the killing of MLK stopped Memphis' growth. Where Memphis failed, Atlanta prospered. What might have been.

The one thing they got right was the airport. Damn good thing they did.
10-17-2016 09:47 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-17-2016 09:47 PM)Claw Wrote:  Failing to get the NFL, not putting I40 through Overton Park, and the killing of MLK stopped Memphis' growth. Where Memphis failed, Atlanta prospered. What might have been.

And more recently, the FedExForum, Tiger Lane and Liberty Bowl upgrades. But you are spot on.
10-17-2016 09:52 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
For the city: NFL
For me: Big 12
10-18-2016 12:36 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(10-17-2016 09:47 PM)Claw Wrote:  Failing to get the NFL, not putting I40 through Overton Park, and the killing of MLK stopped Memphis' growth. Where Memphis failed, Atlanta prospered. What might have been.

07-coffee3 If getting the NFL in Memphis would have caused the amount of traffic problems, expansion of size of city, and a complete travel mess like Atlanta then be glad Memphis did not get the NFL.
I actually had to live in Atlanta twice and I hated it both times. Houston and Dallas are almost on the same level for traffic problems.
10-18-2016 06:09 AM
FUB Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
(10-17-2016 08:57 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  NFL, with a good ownership group, could've had a significant positive impact on this city -- much more so than the UofM joining another soon-to-be-downgraded conference.

Why can't we do just as well with the UofM improving ? If we wind up getting to the point that the fan support sold out the LBS it would have a great impact. My point is instead of wishing for what we know will never be we should have been building what we already have. The situation would already be much better if we had.
10-18-2016 06:45 AM
Halfcourt Offline
Rec League All-Star

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Not sure if not getting the NFL is in the same category, but these 2 had huge impacts on the city.
10-18-2016 06:51 AM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Not even a question....

The NFL.
10-18-2016 06:57 AM
Tor Johnson Offline
2nd String

I've only watched 1 NFL game since Jacksonville and Charlotte were awarded teams (Eli's 1st Super Bowl)
The NFL knifed us
10-18-2016 07:19 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(10-18-2016 12:36 AM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  For the city: NFL
For me: Big 12

Ditto...
10-18-2016 07:30 AM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
NFL screwed us, but whose to say they wouldn't have screwed us again? Even if a team stuck around since the initial talk of expansion, we could very well be on our second new stadium by now.
10-18-2016 07:37 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(10-18-2016 07:19 AM)Tor Johnson Wrote:  I've only watched 1 NFL game since Jacksonville and Charlotte were awarded teams (Eli's 1st Super Bowl)
The NFL knifed us

We effed ourselves thinking the 1987 renovations to the Liberty Bowl were enough.

We get the team over Jacksonville if willing to build a new football stadium. Bud Adams moves the Oilers to Jacksonville. Adams loved Jacksonville.

Our leadership thought the Liberty Bowl compared well with then current NFL stadiums. Every team wanted a new stadium like the then new Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami with all the revenue generating amenities.

Every other finalist had a new stadium plan (Jacksonville was demolishing the Gator Bowl and rebuilding on the site). Each of those finalists got a team. We didn't think 4th dimensionally. We didn't think if we had a stadium plan a team with a crappy stadium would want to come to Memphis... despite the fact the two previous relocations (Cardinals and Colts) were due to plans for a new football stadium (Phoenix's plan fell through after Cardinals relocated). We screwed ourselves.

We built the Pyramid on a cost cutting budget and plan. Nashville spent two and a half times as much on an arena with NHL and NBA level amenities. Nashville aggressively pursued NBA teams and especially the NJ Devils. Offered them the store. Didn't get the Devils, but was a leading candidate for NHL expansion and got the attention of Bud Adams, who lost his preferred relocation site when Jax got the Jags. He called Nashville mayor Phil Bredesen and told him the checklist to get the Oilers. Done.

We screwed ourselves. Ten years later we got the NBA spending the amount of dollars we would have spent to built a new football stadium (not factoring inflation; but a quality football stadium in 1995 might have cost less than $250 million).
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 07:46 AM by Latilleon.)
10-18-2016 07:46 AM
Advertisement

Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(10-18-2016 07:37 AM)Trapper John Wrote:  NFL screwed us, but whose to say they wouldn't have screwed us again? Even if a team stuck around since the initial talk of expansion, we could very well be on our second new stadium by now.

Sooooo

In different history where Billy Dunavant gets the (cringeworthy) Houndogs, we build a stadium of the quality of the one in Charlotte or Baltimore. It would be twenty years old and we would be just regularly renovating it and not building a new one. Fred Smith or the Haslems also own the team if Billy Dunavant had sold the team.

The Grizzlies are in Nashville or Louisville.

The Tigers shared the stadium (FedExField) until an on-campus stadium is built (AutoZone Stadium)
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 07:51 AM by Latilleon.)
10-18-2016 07:50 AM
oldmangrizz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
Danny's and The Pink Garter closing
10-18-2016 07:55 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2016 06:51 AM)Halfcourt Wrote:  

Not sure if not getting the NFL is in the same category, but these 2 had huge impacts on the city.

Let me be more specific. Not getting the NFL back in the late 60's.

The second time around hurt, but the first time changed the course of the city.
10-18-2016 07:56 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Not disagreeing but another more destructive decision that occurred during this period was the manner in which schools were desegregated. In Memphis, where the city gov & involved parties couldn't reach agreement on a process for school integration, the parties instead allowed/forced the federal gov through court ordered action to intervene. The results was the largest disruption of neighborhoods in America related to public school attendance. And it virtually destroyed public education in Memphis (& years later has resulted in more segregation). And I don't have to say how this has affected the education rec'd by the city's children. Contrast that to Atlanta where segregation was even more distinctly in place & the interested parties (city, community groups & NAACP) worked together to integrate the school system but disrupt the neighborhoods minimally in the process - with no court-ordered busing to achieve complete integration of the system. This is an issue that continues to plague Memphis advancement & its reputation around the country related to education & business investment in Memphis.
10-18-2016 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.