Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Why not this?
Bookmark and Share
gatorslayer1978 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida State
Why not this?
I know that this is a long shot. But, why can't FedEx take the $500M that they allegedly promised the Big12 and sink that money into the UofM? Isn't money the ultimate reason for entering a P5? Even if FedEx pledges just $20M/yr to the UofM, that would cover the annual payout from a P5 league. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a solution.
09-26-2016 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
RE: Why not this?
Money won't change perception. Perception means everything in today's sheepish society. Perception gets you in top 25 before winning or playing a game. Perception keeps you in the top 25 and ultimately helps your chances at ever playing for a NC.
09-26-2016 04:32 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
you're missing the marketing/advertising side of things. FedEx is definitely in our corner, as it benefits their company as well in many different ways. But the bulk of the money comes in advertising dollars. Those dollars must meet the required audiences. To put it against conference championship games hits a major flow of people (millions) which in marketing theory generates revenue (in simplistic terms, successful marketing costs $0, as the results of it brings in more revenue than spent on the marketing). To put that same money against local improvements (given to the university) in a much smaller market coverage that they already have saturated in coverage would not bring in the same revenue and doesn't make sense from a business perspective.
09-26-2016 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigergeorge55 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U OF M
Exclamation RE: Why not this?
(09-26-2016 04:48 PM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  you're missing the marketing/advertising side of things. FedEx is definitely in our corner, as it benefits their company as well in many different ways. But the bulk of the money comes in advertising dollars. Those dollars must meet the required audiences. To put it against conference championship games hits a major flow of people (millions) which in marketing theory generates revenue (in simplistic terms, successful marketing costs $0, as the results of it brings in more revenue than spent on the marketing). To put that same money against local improvements (given to the university) in a much smaller market coverage that they already have saturated in coverage would not bring in the same revenue and doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

Great explanation. This is true fact. we need to keep winning and change the landscape.
09-26-2016 05:57 PM
Advertisement

80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Perplexing first post ever.
09-26-2016 06:07 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
FedEx wasn't offering the Big 12 $500 million. That is amount the university is spending in some time span on improvements. This includes the new recreational center, land bridge, music building, and athletic buildings.

FedEx was offering corporate sponsorship of the Big 12. I don't know if anyone knows exactly how much that would have been.

FedEx does a lot for the University. However, they have to work the system as much as anyone else. All infrastructure improvements go through the TBR until we get the new board. There's a process. The following link might help you understand the process. [1]

I figure that a private foundation or corporation would expect matching funds from the state if they are donating a building to a public university. A quick note from the article, we aren't building a biochemistry building since it appears a matching funds from a private foundation are no longer available. But a separate group is willing to fund the music building, therefore the music building is getting built first.

[1]: https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/20...at-u-of-m/
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 11:36 AM by FlyingTiger2016.)
09-27-2016 10:33 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
(09-27-2016 10:33 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  FedEx wasn't offering the Big 12 $500 million. That's is amount the university is spending in some time span on improvements. This includes the new recreational center, land bridge, music building, and athletic buildings.

FedEx was offering corporate sponsorship of the Big 12. I don't know if anyone knows exactly how much that would have been.

FedEx does a lot for the University. However, they have to work the system as much as anyone else. All infrastructure improvements go through the TBR until we get the new board. There's a process. The following link might help you understand the process. [1]

I figure that a private foundation or corporation would expect matching funds from the state if they are donating a building to a public university. A quick note from the article, we aren't building a biochemistry building since it appears a matching funds from a private foundation are no longer available. But a separate group is willing to fund the music building, therefore the music building is getting built first.

[1]: https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/20...at-u-of-m/
It's amazing how many people have gotten confused on the 500 mill figure.
09-27-2016 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.