Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction??
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction??
I think it is more than a coincidence that Memphis tanked last year after VT started flirting with Fuente. I think a similar distraction is possible for Houston.

Herman's statement of "I'm never going to comment about another job during the season" does not calm the waters, IMO. However, I cannot think of a better answer other than to unequivocally disavow interest in the LSU job.
09-26-2016 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: LSU's Interest in Herman a Distraction??
Herman was offered 5million for SC and was contacted for EVERY JOB last year not USC ...
Herman was more way more indemand than fuentes last year...

outside of usc he could have gotten any job he wanted...this isn't a new issue
09-26-2016 08:02 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think there is actually a better than average chance that Herman opts to stay in Houston.
09-26-2016 08:06 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-26-2016 07:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  I think it is more than a coincidence that Memphis tanked last year after VT started flirting with Fuente. I think a similar distraction is possible for Houston.

Herman's statement of "I'm never going to comment about another job during the season" does not calm the waters, IMO. However, I cannot think of a better answer other than to unequivocally disavow interest in the LSU job.

A small distraction. He will keep team focused. As for Herman, He can walk and chew gum at same time.
09-26-2016 08:10 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Herman killed speculation last year that he would change jobs by agreeing to a new contract before the AAC title game. Houston has a shot of making the football playoffs and Herman has the opportunity to kill job rumors this year before a puzzling UConn type defeat occurs.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 08:36 AM by Tiger1983.)
09-26-2016 08:35 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-26-2016 08:06 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  I think there is actually a better than average chance that Herman opts to stay in Houston.

I don't think he leaves for LSU. Les had a great record at LSU and got canned mid season. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling to join that staff.

If Notre Dame or Texas open....he gone
09-26-2016 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
(09-26-2016 07:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  I think it is more than a coincidence that Memphis tanked last year after VT started flirting with Fuente. I think a similar distraction is possible for Houston.

I think most UH fans have come to accept this as the price to pay for a great coach.

Herman won't be at UH forever, it's true. But it would be unwise for him to not gauge his market value. He has already, and continues to demonstrate that he is no fluke, his coaching skills will still be available to suitors whether he decides to leave after this year or after a few more years.

This process needs to happen, and I don't have as hard a time recognizing that is why he didn't shut the door on it. But I think everyone underestimates that UH is now more than willing to match most suitors' offers, so the decision to leave will be for something other than money.

If you think the "lustre" of LSU is it, that's your opinion, I won't try to argue someone's opinion. But I think he has higher goals myself.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 09:09 AM by Coog Engineer.)
09-26-2016 09:06 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

In all seriousness, I think Herman is not going to LSU. I think the Tigers opt for Jimbo Fisher.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 09:09 AM by CliftonAve.)
09-26-2016 09:08 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(09-26-2016 09:08 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In all seriousness, I think Herman is not going to LSU. I think the Tigers opt for Jimbo Fisher.

Jimbo Fisher isn't going to leave FSU. Things are way to good for him down in Tallahassee
09-26-2016 09:13 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Coog fans need to understand it is a compliment that Herman is talked about like this. Everyone in the American would love to have him. Too many Coog fans are getting uber sensitive that his name is brought up (again). Part of the game. LSU is a top 10 program. It is loaded with top recruits everywhere...imagine what he could do with a roster full of Ed Olivers? And paying him $5 million per year isn't out of the question either.
09-26-2016 09:20 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(09-26-2016 09:06 AM)Coog Engineer Wrote:  

I think most UH fans have come to accept this as the price to pay for a great coach.

Herman won't be at UH forever, it's true. But it would be unwise for him to not gauge his market value. He has already, and continues to demonstrate that he is no fluke, his coaching skills will still be available to suitors whether he decides to leave after this year or after a few more years.

This process needs to happen, and I don't have as hard a time recognizing that is why he didn't shut the door on it. But I think everyone underestimates that UH is now more than willing to match most suitors' offers, so the decision to leave will be for something other than money.

If you think the "lustre" of LSU is it, that's your opinion, I won't try to argue someone's opinion. But I think he has higher goals myself.
Your opinion is more valuable than mine because you know your coach far better than me. I think, however, the LSU job is the acid test concerning Herman's intentions. If he turns it down, then I think he is at Houston for the long haul (barring the"dream" Texas job identified by Houston fans).
09-26-2016 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I think every comment in this thread up to this point is a good assessment.

We are very good this year, but in all honesty we may be even better next year.

He has got this program stacked, and is set to maintain the status who for the next 3-4 years alone.

He is truly building a monster that can compete for Conference and National Championships for the next 4 years if the schedule allows it, and that isn't even accounting for the possibility of getting into a P5 which would really shut down a lot of this talk.

I am cautiously optimistic.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 09:30 AM by Borncoog74.)
09-26-2016 09:30 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(09-26-2016 09:13 AM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 09:08 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  In all seriousness, I think Herman is not going to LSU. I think the Tigers opt for Jimbo Fisher.

Jimbo Fisher isn't going to leave FSU. Things are way to good for him down in Tallahassee
I don't think jimbo is leaving the state of Florida voluntarily. Recent nasty divorce and kids.
09-26-2016 09:47 AM
coogrfan Offline
All American

(09-26-2016 08:35 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 08:06 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  I think there is actually a better than average chance that Herman opts to stay in Houston.

I don't think he leaves for LSU. Les had a great record at LSU and got canned mid season. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling to join that staff.

If Notre Dame or Texas open....he gone

This.
09-26-2016 10:21 AM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
Any coach being pursued by another school would be foolish to declare he is not leaving his present position.

Being pursued gets raises.

After Briles, Sumlin, and numerous assistants, UH fans are inured to coaching changes.

If Herman left, UH would have many applicants. Herman would leave many quality players.

It's all good.
09-26-2016 11:44 AM
Halfcourt Offline
Rec League All-Star

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-26-2016 08:02 AM)pesik Wrote:  Herman was offered 5million for SC and was contacted for EVERY JOB last year not USC ...

SC is not LSU. LSU is on another level.

You pick up the phone when they call.
09-26-2016 12:20 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(09-26-2016 12:20 PM)Halfcourt Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 08:02 AM)pesik Wrote:  Herman was offered 5million for SC and was contacted for EVERY JOB last year not USC ...

SC is not LSU. LSU is on another level.

You pick up the phone when they call.
That is not exactly what happened. That's pesik revision. Herman and Kirby were in the running. Usce was gonna go kirby over herman then uga opened up. Kirby goes uga and by that time herman had a deal with houston. So usce went to muschamp.
09-26-2016 01:16 PM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
I think Tom Herman to LSU is almost a lock. They'll offer him the world, probably a 5-year guaranteed deal with options in the 6th and 7th year. He'll be in the SEC and the recruiting will be even easier for him, Houston will land on its feet though, any hot prospect coach would love to get that job.
09-26-2016 01:21 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
I think the pecking order is:
1) Jimbo Fisher
2) Tom Herman
3) *We made a huge mistake*
09-26-2016 01:30 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-26-2016 01:21 PM)Realignment Wrote:  I think Tom Herman to LSU is almost a lock. They'll offer him the world, probably a 5-year guaranteed deal with options in the 6th and 7th year. He'll be in the SEC and the recruiting will be even easier for him, Houston will land on its feet though, any hot prospect coach would love to get that job.

I would bet he isn't going to LSU. Maybe LSU going multiple seasons sub .500 it would be a good look. He is going to find a gig at a school struggling that has elite status. Texas, Notre Dame, etc.
09-26-2016 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.