Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Report that Liberty will have an FBS bid within months
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
WDBJ out of Roanoke is reporting that Liberty will have an FBS bid within months. Jerry Falwell Jr has reportedly stated that in an open forum in Lynchburg.

The Sun Belt won't take them, and there would be several schools ahead of them for the MAC or CUSA to even consider it. There is a way for Liberty to get an affiliate bid, but many on this board are adamant and even militant that that won't happen.

http://www.wdbj7.com/sports/libertysports/
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 04:40 PM by NoDak.)
09-25-2016 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
RE: Report that Liberty will have an FBS bid within months
(09-25-2016 04:31 PM)NoDak Wrote:  WDBJ out of Roanoke is reporting that Liberty will have an FBS bid within months. Jerry Falwell Jr has reportedly stated that in an open forum in Lynchburg.

The Sun Belt won't take them, and there would be several schools ahead of them for the MAC or CUSA to even consider it. There is a way for Liberty to get an affiliate bid, but many on this board are adamant and even militant that that won't happen.

What Conference is going to take them with that Baggage? They only really have three scenarios that could happen:

-Both the Belt and C-USA collapses and reform into two new Conferences(see the thread on the Sun Belt Board)

-A Brand New Conference Forms and hope for a Waiver from the NCAA for BB Auto-Bids AND any School that joins gets to keep their Credits.

-Independence. See Akron when they moved up on why the NCAA does not allow for that to happen, unless they got a waiver07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 04:53 PM by lance99.)
09-25-2016 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
1% possibility: CUSA is bracing for the loss of 1-3 teams when Houston & Cincy go to Big 12 and UTEP goes to MWC. I'd think they'd take JMU well before Liberty, but I guess you never know.

99% possibility: JFJ was simply misquoted or misspoke at the function. Or is outright lying. Neither would surprise me.

0% possibilities:
- Liberty moving up to FBS as independent (NCAA rules don't allow it)
- Liberty moving to WAC and the the WAC being allowed to restart FBS football (NCAA rules weren't intended to allow it and if the attempt were actually made -- which it never will be -- then they'd be quickly rewritten to make it more explicit).
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 05:01 PM by MplsBison.)
09-25-2016 05:00 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-25-2016 04:51 PM)lance99 Wrote:  
(09-25-2016 04:31 PM)NoDak Wrote:  WDBJ out of Roanoke is reporting that Liberty will have an FBS bid within months. Jerry Falwell Jr has reportedly stated that in an open forum in Lynchburg.

What Conference is going to take them with that Baggage? They only really have three scenarios that could happen:

-Both the Belt and C-USA collapses and reform into two new Conferences(see the thread on the Sun Belt Board)

-A Brand New Conference Forms and hope for a Waiver from the NCAA for BB Auto-Bids AND any School that joins gets to keep their Credits.

-Independence. See Akron when they moved up on why the NCAA does not allow for that to happen, unless they got a waiver07-coffee3
You're missing one. E.g. The one MplsBison and Jackfan and others have said I'm an idiot for believing that that conference will be resurrected as an FBS one once again.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 05:11 PM by NoDak.)
09-25-2016 05:02 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think it may depend on what happens with BYU. If they don't get in the B12, it will definitely be due to religious views. Liberty may make the play to law suit challenge to the NCAA to be independent FBS the same as BYU. Since conferences option will be denied to Liberty due their beliefs. Similar to Tulane challenging BCS as anti-trust, Liberty may make the same challenge for FBS Independent. Not saying I know anything or if it is valid, just my guess.
09-25-2016 05:11 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-25-2016 05:11 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I think it may depend on what happens with BYU. If they don't get in the B12, it will definitely be due to religious views. Liberty may make the play to law suit challenge to the NCAA to be independent FBS the same as BYU. Since conferences option will be denied to Liberty due their beliefs. Similar to Tulane challenging BCS as anti-trust, Liberty may make the same challenge for FBS Independent. Not saying I know anything or if it is valid, just my guess.

Court cases take years, unless their is an agreement, and even that takes a while.

Maybe C Arkansas will declare FBS at the same time. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 05:15 PM by NoDak.)
09-25-2016 05:14 PM
Advertisement

CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
I could see a scenario where the NCAA grants a waiver in order to avoid a lawsuit that could potentially knock down their entire house of cards. They've proven in the past that their rules are malleable to protect powerful interests.
09-25-2016 05:15 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Liberty can try to sue the NCAA, but that's not what the OP is saying. He's saying it's being reported that Liberty's president said at some function that Liberty will have an invitation to an FBS conference in a month.

My take: JFJ is thinking that Houston & Cincy going to the Big 12 will start a chain-reaction leading to Liberty getting an invite from either the CUSA or Sun Belt.

That's stupid, for A) thinking that CUSA will automatically want to backfill to 14 again, and B) for thinking that Liberty must be the top candidate for either conference. Brainless, actually. But not surprising.

Probably don't need to read into it any more than that.
09-25-2016 05:16 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Liberty wanted a WAC berth in 2011. So did Jacksonville St. The lines of communication should still be open.

Where is Wichita St getting an FBS bid?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 05:19 PM by NoDak.)
09-25-2016 05:19 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

And to those naive to the WAC FBS thing: it's not DOA. It's not dead in the crib. It's not stillborn.

It was never conceived.

The rules pointed out by the consultants hired for Idaho's FBS/FCS study, were never intended to allow the current day WAC to be raised from the dead. That was never meant to be the intention of the way they are stated in the current rulebook.

They've just never been paid attention to, because there has been no need to update them.

If some people actually did try to revive the WAC as FBS, the rules would quickly be re-written.

So it's not dead. It was never alive. Just don't pay any attention to NoDak. Treat him like DavidSt, on this.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 05:19 PM by MplsBison.)
09-25-2016 05:19 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-25-2016 05:16 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Liberty can try to sue the NCAA, but that's not what the OP is saying. He's saying it's being reported that Liberty's president said at some function that Liberty will have an invitation to an FBS conference in a month.

My take: JFJ is thinking that Houston & Cincy going to the Big 12 will start a chain-reaction leading to Liberty getting an invite from either the CUSA or Sun Belt.

That's stupid, for A) thinking that CUSA will automatically want to backfill to 14 again, and B) for thinking that Liberty must be the top candidate for either conference. Brainless, actually. But not surprising.

Probably don't need to read into it any more than that.

Most people don't limit themselves to tiny boxes in their thinking. People are free to read whatever they want in it. You should have a career as a thought policeman.
09-25-2016 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Because you boys are just using this thread as an excuse to snipe at each other, the thread is going to the VAA (a/k/a smack board).
09-25-2016 05:24 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
WAC West:

Idaho
Portland State
Montana
Montana State
Sacramento State
New Mexico State

WAC East:

Liberty (football only)
Illinois State (football only)
Wichita State (football only)
Missouri State (football only)
UTRGV
Lamar

The Big Sky takes Seattle, Bakersfield, Utah Valley, and Grand Canyon from the WAC. Chicago State and UMKC are left as non-football members.

North Dakota leaves the Big Sky for the Summit. The Summit League acquires the MVFC, but loses Youngstown State as an affiliate to the Big South. Liberty manages to keep its spot as a non-football member with the understanding that it must spend additional football revenue on non-Big South sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-25-2016 05:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MplsBison Offline
Banned

That would take the cake.

Every one of NoDak's predictions comes true ... except UND is left on the outside looking in ... and in the Summit/MVFC!!!!
09-25-2016 05:32 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Why is this not in conference realignment? Seems foolish to move the thread.
09-25-2016 07:25 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Okay, long post ahead so I apologize in advance.

As we've previously discussed on this board, under the current NCAA rule governing FBS transition, an FCS school can move up to FBS by joining a conference that qualifies as an FBS conference or by joining a conference that previously qualified as an FBS conference. Since the WAC fits the latter description, Liberty could begin the transition process to FBS by joining the WAC. Apparently that's the option the OP is referring to, and regardless of how other posters may interpret the rule it is still on the books.

What's not clear to me is whether Liberty would be required to join the WAC for all sports to take advantage of the rule, or could get away with joining as a football affiliate only. I think most of us assume the former, but only the latter option would be practical for Liberty.

That leads me to wonder whether the WAC and Liberty have figured out a loophole or technicality under which the conference could resume sponsoring FBS football as a conference sport -- and therefore could offer Liberty affiliate membership in that sport -- even though the WAC no longer qualifies as an FBS conference. For example, the WAC could assert that resuming sponsorship of football is a planned first step toward reestablishing the WAC as an FBS conference and that schools that play football in the WAC in the interim should be viewed as FBS or transitioning to FBS by the NCAA because otherwise the reference in the FBS transition rule to a previously qualified conference serves no practical purpose.

If the NCAA agreed with that interpretation, the WAC could announce that:

-- it will resume sponsoring FBS football in 2018 with NMSU playing as a full member and Liberty as an affiliate member, and meeting annually in a home-and-home series (which would help both schools meet the FBS home scheduling requirement);

-- WAC member UTRGV will start football in 2018 and begin conference play in 2019 or 2020, following the same accelerated path to FBS status that UTSA did a few years ago; and

-- it intends to make itself available as a future home to other schools looking to establish new FBS programs (e.g. Wichita State) or move up from FCS to FBS status (fill in the usual suspects here), with the long-term goal of eventually requalifying as an FBS conference by reaching the NCAA minimum of having eight full-sports members playing FBS football.

Of course the WAC lacks the TV and CFP cash to attract a bunch of new football-playing members anytime soon. Only FCS schools with a very strong commitment to moving up, sufficient self-generated financial resources to cover the incremental costs of playing at the FBS level, and a location west of Chicago would find the WAC full-membership option appealing. The rebuilding process could take decades.

Fantasy? Probably. But granting the WAC a liberal interpretation of the current FBS transition rule that allows it to resume sponsoring FBS football would reduce the NCAA's susceptibility to criticism that the rule is too restrictive. That may be more appealing to the NCAA powers-that-be than taking a chance on actually amending the rule, which could result in a relaxation of requirements that opens the door to many more move-ups.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 11:16 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
09-25-2016 07:56 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(09-25-2016 07:25 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Why is this not in conference realignment? Seems foolish to move the thread.

I agree. There's a legitimate media report that an FCS school has a plan for moving up to FBS. That's newsworthy from a conference realignment perspective. Just because there are differences of opinion on what that plan may be doesn't disqualify the thread from remaining on the realignment board. If the mods think some posters are crossing the line in criticizing each other's points of view, then I respectfully suggest they reprimand the posters, not bury the topic.
09-25-2016 08:16 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(09-25-2016 07:25 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Why is this not in conference realignment? Seems foolish to move the thread.

MplsBison routinely reports any post where I state the WAC can be FBS again. The moderators seem to have had up to here with him, and my responses, so they get rid of the issue by placing it on a smack board. The moderators have closed some threads before that were WAC or NDSU based on the same illogic.

Contrary to MplsBison and the moderators opinion, my belief that the WAC will return to FBS is entirely logic based, not emotional, as MplsBison claims.

MplsBison has a long grudge with me, because he was on the UND board for years telling us that the Big Sky was a pipe dream for us. I stood up to his attacks and events finally proved I wasn't an idiot like he was stating. He subsequently left our board.

Be very careful what you say to MplsBison, as he will do his best to get posters he disagrees with on probation or banned. He was suspended here I think for a time. Seems like some of the mods won't deal with him anymore.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 09:59 PM by NoDak.)
09-25-2016 09:33 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Someone should post the original link on the realignment board again. If I don't post this time, the moderators should be OK with it.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 09:58 PM by NoDak.)
09-25-2016 09:57 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(09-25-2016 07:56 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  What's not clear to me is whether Liberty would be required to join the WAC for all sports to take advantage of the rule, or could get away with joining as a football affiliate only. I think most of us assume the former, but only the latter option would be practical for Liberty.

Even if Liberty has to join for all sports, dragging enough schools along for the ride could make the WAC viable as a primarily eastern FBS conference with an 8/14 alignment:

Stony Brook/Liberty
Eastern Kentucky/Jacksonville (AL) State
Chicago State*/UMKC*
UTRGV/Lamar
Sam Houston State/New Mexico State
Seattle*/Bakersfield*
Utah Valley*/Grand Canyon*

The key would be to grab the Dakota 4 - the six non-football members would likely backfill for them in the Summit or Big Sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-25-2016 10:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.