Week 5 Rankings
John52168 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Army

Crappies
Week 5 Rankings
AP Poll:

Quote:Dropped from rankings: LSU 18, Oklahoma 25
Others receiving votes: Arizona State 135, Oklahoma 120, North Dakota State 58, West Virginia 51, Virginia Tech 38, Colorado 33, North Carolina 26, Iowa 25, UCLA 22, Auburn 18, LSU 17, Western Michigan 14, Wake Forest 9, Memphis 6, Maryland 2, Toledo 1

Coaches Poll:

Quote:Dropped from rankings: LSU 17, Iowa 25
Others receiving votes: Iowa 127, Boise State 126, Arizona State 94, Oklahoma 77, West Virginia 46, LSU 30, Western Michigan 25, Memphis 23, Virginia Tech 20, UCLA 20, Auburn 18, Colorado 16, Minnesota 14, Navy 14, Wake Forest 9, Kansas State 6, Air Force 4, Toledo 4, Oregon 3, Maryland 2, South Florida 1, Appalachian State 1, Troy 1
09-25-2016 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: Week 5 Rankings
This season has a 2000 feel to it.

On the downside, CMU is far better than that scrub team that beat us.

On the upside, Fleck will have the team far more focused than Darnell's squad was.
09-25-2016 03:26 PM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
No..this is not 2000. That team was very cool to watch and very good, but nowhere near as solid in all aspects of the game as this team, the lines are strong and there is depth...
09-25-2016 03:56 PM
ejd_5277 Offline
Special Teams

uclabruin is spot on.

The 2000 team had prolific skill position players (and *tons* of depth at them) on offense, and a decent secondary. They played very well as a unit.

However, as has been the case pretty much every year until now, there were gaping holes in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and Central came out with a perfect game plan to exploit them.

This is a much, much better overall football team.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 04:18 PM by ejd_5277.)
09-25-2016 04:17 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
#32 & #37.

If WMU wins @CMU (which I give about a 45% chance) -- I predict we'll move up 3-4 spots. We'd be a bit higher right now and would probably break the Top 25 in one of them if CMU beat Virginia the other day.

If we beat @CMU and Toledo beats @BYU -- the chances of an 11-0 Toledo vs 11-0 WMU game will be decently high for the last game of the season.
09-25-2016 04:27 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

This computer poll has us at 12 http://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html
09-25-2016 06:24 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(09-25-2016 06:24 PM)Nacho Wrote:  This computer poll has us at 12 http://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html

…And Tennessee who barely beat App State is ranked#1.
09-26-2016 06:42 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Not that I put much stock in rankings, but the Massey composite rankings have WMU at #21, Toledo at #34.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
09-26-2016 07:27 AM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
(09-25-2016 04:27 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  #32 & #37.

If WMU wins @CMU (which I give about a 45% chance) -- I predict we'll move up 3-4 spots. We'd be a bit higher right now and would probably break the Top 25 in one of them if CMU beat Virginia the other day.

If we beat @CMU and Toledo beats @BYU -- the chances of an 11-0 Toledo vs 11-0 WMU game will be decently high for the last game of the season.

I don't know, I like the match up with CMU. First of all the ghosts of the old indian burial grounds have been put to rest. CMU is solid but very basic..what you see is what you get. I do not see anything confusing..don't see blow away speed. I think the WMU offense will do very well and the defense will give up points, but if I had to be my life, I would go with your 45%.
09-26-2016 07:28 AM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(09-26-2016 07:28 AM)uclabruin Wrote:  

I don't know, I like the match up with CMU. First of all the ghosts of the old indian burial grounds have been put to rest. CMU is solid but very basic..what you see is what you get. I do not see anything confusing..don't see blow away speed. I think the WMU offense will do very well and the defense will give up points, but if I had to be my life, I would go with your 45%.

Just don't allow them to be within hail mary range at the end.
09-26-2016 08:31 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(09-26-2016 07:28 AM)uclabruin Wrote:  

WMU has the better overall team with superior talent. It's offense and special teams are both better than CMU's, while its D is on par, or just slightly behind.

That said this is a rivalry game, on the road, and CMU is well coached. Strange things also happen in Mount Pleasant, even when WMU has the better team. Besides 2000, the games in 2004 (OT game), 2006 (f-ing cold rain game) and 2010 (fumble on the goal-line game) come to mind. WMU was better those years, but lost in Mount Pleasant, effectively giving the game away through either some bone-head plays or bone-head coaching (2006, Cubit was out-coached by Brian Kelly. Awful, awful game).

If the Broncos win the turnover battle, and keep penalties to a minimum, they will win this game. 04-cheers
09-26-2016 08:43 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
CMU's QB is F-ing good. He may be better than Terrel. Terrel has more help though, and way more options. Bogan is a weapon, and we have more quality receivers than CMU. CMU has a pretty good tight end though, and Rush is great at getting him the ball. He has pretty good hands for a big guy. Defenses are pretty close, but i think the jury is still out on both defenses. Home field advantage can be big. CMU will have a big crowd on Saturday. I hope we get a ton of Broncos there. I will be there with my wife. God I hope we win.
09-26-2016 09:18 AM
WMU_Flyboy Offline
Special Teams

I'll be there with 3 others. Section K, the WMU section
09-26-2016 09:20 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I'm in section J.
09-26-2016 09:23 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(09-25-2016 03:26 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  This season has a 2000 feel to it.

On the downside, CMU is far better than that scrub team that beat us.

On the upside, Fleck will have the team far more focused than Darnell's squad was.

It's too early for him to interview for a new job for CMU week.

Now Toledo...
09-26-2016 09:24 AM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(09-26-2016 09:18 AM)brovol Wrote:  CMU's QB is F-ing good. He may be better than Terrel. Terrel has more help though, and way more options. Bogan is a weapon, and we have more quality receivers than CMU. CMU has a pretty good tight end though, and Rush is great at getting him the ball. He has pretty good hands for a big guy. Defenses are pretty close, but i think the jury is still out on both defenses. Home field advantage can be big. CMU will have a big crowd on Saturday. I hope we get a ton of Broncos there. I will be there with my wife. God I hope we win.

He is very good. Our offensive system is a perfect fit for Terrel, but Rush is a great fit for them, too. Their TE (Conklin?) is pretty good, too. It will interesting to watch them two work the middle of the field, since we have nobody at LB who can cover.

That said, they are depleted at other receiver positions and haven't established a consistent running game.

I think we play keep-away and win TOP, winning 30-20.
09-26-2016 09:58 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

(09-26-2016 09:58 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 09:18 AM)brovol Wrote:  CMU's QB is F-ing good. He may be better than Terrel. Terrel has more help though, and way more options. Bogan is a weapon, and we have more quality receivers than CMU. CMU has a pretty good tight end though, and Rush is great at getting him the ball. He has pretty good hands for a big guy. Defenses are pretty close, but i think the jury is still out on both defenses. Home field advantage can be big. CMU will have a big crowd on Saturday. I hope we get a ton of Broncos there. I will be there with my wife. God I hope we win.

He is very good. Our offensive system is a perfect fit for Terrel, but Rush is a great fit for them, too. Their TE (Conklin?) is pretty good, too. It will interesting to watch them two work the middle of the field, since we have nobody at LB who can cover.

That said, they are depleted at other receiver positions and haven't established a consistent running game.

You are spot on. I agree completely.
09-26-2016 10:14 AM
John52168 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Army

Crappies
(09-26-2016 09:58 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  

Don't you mean 40-20?
09-26-2016 06:20 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
NIU ran the table in the regular season in 2013.
Their biggest win thru Week 4 was Iowa. They also beat a bad Idaho and a bad Purdue.
The first week they got ranked was Week 6 and they were ranked 23rd.

In 2012 (their Orange Bowl year) they lost to Iowa in Week 1 and didn't lose again till the Bowl Game. They didn't get ranked till the Last Week of the Regular Season before Eastern Michigan.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 07:20 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-26-2016 07:17 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU

Not starting a flame war. I think nearly every CFB expert you ask would say Rush is definitely better than Terrell. But like you said, Terrell is a perfect fit in the system. He has also done it with very little run game, albeit improved this year.

To me, even if CMU was 4-0, I would lean WMU in this game. Why? Fleck has our number and nearly beat us when you guys were garbage in 2013. I think it will be a close game and we have a few pretty big contributors out.

Best of luck and hope for a game with no injuries. You guys could be the real deal this year.
09-27-2016 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.