Mlive article on Georgia Southern game
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Mlive article on Georgia Southern game
Very effective running team with three options:

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...iver_index

If we stop them on defense, we win.

This looks to be an offensive battle. They can score by the run and Broncos can score in a multiple of scenarios.

Tough game coming up.
09-22-2016 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Moomba Offline
Banned

I Root For: Pers's new id's
RE: Mlive article on Georgia Southern game
We're still favored by 7.
09-22-2016 12:50 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(09-22-2016 12:41 PM)bostonbronco Wrote:  Very effective running team with three options:

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...iver_index

If we stop them on defense, we win.

This looks to be an offensive battle. They can score by the run and Broncos can score in a multiple of scenarios.

Tough game coming up.

Georgia Southern is likely the best team on WMU's schedule this fall.

I just hope WMU's D-line comes out of this game healthy after dealing with all the low chop blocks that offense uses.
09-22-2016 01:08 PM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
I believe the chop block is illegal at the collegiate level starting this year. Am I wrong?
09-22-2016 01:12 PM
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

(09-22-2016 01:12 PM)tayles mullet Wrote:  I believe the chop block is illegal at the collegiate level starting this year. Am I wrong?

Chop block has been illegal since 1980 in NCAA competition.

We'll need to force holding calls, hands to face, misreads of our fronts, and to make plays with our front seven. They'll have no problem airing it out if we get too happy trying to stop the run. We have to play honest and disciplined football on defense to win.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2016 01:21 PM by schwebbs84.)
09-22-2016 01:16 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(09-22-2016 01:12 PM)tayles mullet Wrote:  I believe the chop block is illegal at the collegiate level starting this year. Am I wrong?

If you are talking about one OL blocking a DL high and another blocking DL low simultaneously - the definition of a "Chop block" - it has been illegal for years.

If you're talking about blocking below the waist - sometimes referred to as a "Cut block" - it is still legal in CFB but has been clarified to state that a blocker outside the box must make the block directly at the defender's front and not back towards original position of the ball unless the BC has crossed the LOS.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2016 01:38 PM by MajorHoople.)
09-22-2016 01:22 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(09-22-2016 01:22 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

If you are talking about one OL blocking a DL high and another blocking DL low simultaneously - the definition of a "Chop block" - it has been illegal for a years.

If you're talking about blocking below the waist - sometimes referred to as a "Cut block" - it is still legal in CFB but has been clarified to state that a blocker outside the box must make the block directly at the defender's front and not back towards original position of the ball unless the BC has crossed the LOS.

Thank you, Major, for the clarification.

I was mistaken using the word "chop" rather than "cut."

Here is a good article that explains the "cut" block and the dangers it presents a defense.

http://raleighco.com/sports/cut-it-out-w...-football/
09-22-2016 01:28 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(09-22-2016 01:28 PM)GullLake Wrote:  
(09-22-2016 01:22 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

If you are talking about one OL blocking a DL high and another blocking DL low simultaneously - the definition of a "Chop block" - it has been illegal for a years.

Thank you, Major, for the clarification.

I was mistaken using the word "chop" rather than "cut."

Here is a good article that explains the "cut" block and the dangers it presents a defense.

http://raleighco.com/sports/cut-it-out-w...-football/

Cut blocking (a Man Blocking Scheme) is used by Wishbone and Flexbone option teams. GS runs a Zone Blocking Scheme and mostly the Read Option out of the Pistol or Shotgun although we do occasionally throw in a triple option play from time to time we rarely Cut Block anymore. Your players knees should survive our game intact for the most part.
09-22-2016 01:50 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Georgia Southern is likely the best team on WMU's schedule this fall.

I wouldn't say that, given their performance -- but they could be (just not likely, IMO). CMU & Toledo are probably the best teams we'll face. GA-Southern is still figuring themselves out and coming to form, which may or may not be too great. We shall see, but should err on the side of expecting them to be.

- @CMU is the toughest Game for us to win, even if Toledo ends up being a step better as a team
- Toledo is likely the best team on our schedule
- GA-Southern is likely the 3rd best team we'll face, and also a good chance a close 3rd
- @Illinois/@Northwestern/NIU is likely roughly tied for the 4th, 5th, and 6th toughest teams -- and possibly not far behind GA-Southern as far as difficulty (NW/Ill on road)
- @Akron may end up being tied with the above 3, factoring in it being on the road
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2016 02:25 PM by toddjnsn.)
09-22-2016 02:23 PM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(09-22-2016 02:23 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  

I wouldn't say that, given their performance -- but they could be (just not likely, IMO). CMU & Toledo are probably the best teams we'll face. GA-Southern is still figuring themselves out and coming to form, which may or may not be too great. We shall see, but should err on the side of expecting them to be.

- @CMU is the toughest Game for us to win, even if Toledo ends up being a step better as a team
- GA-Southern is likely the 3rd best team we'll face, and also a good chance a close 3rd
- @Illinois/@Northwestern/NIU is likely roughly tied for the 4th, 5th, and 6th toughest teams -- and possibly not far behind GA-Southern as far as difficulty (NW/Ill on road)
- @Akron may end up being tied with the above 3, factoring in it being on the road

We have a lot of talent but a lot of it is young. The Offensive Line has several new starters this year and that seems to be where we are running afoul on offense. Once the OL group gels GS will be hard to stop with all of the senior production we have in the backfield. Defense looks a lot better but we are young in the secondary and prone to mistakes. My take is that we are still getting all these working parts settled and that might not be good for us playing you guys right now. WM looks to be in mid-season form already and I think we are a game or two away from that.
09-22-2016 02:31 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY

I agree with this 100%
....so it must be right!
09-22-2016 02:40 PM
BroncoBuck Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(09-22-2016 02:31 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

We have a lot of talent but a lot of it is young. The Offensive Line has several new starters this year and that seems to be where we are running afoul on offense. Once the OL group gels GS will be hard to stop with all of the senior production we have in the backfield. Defense looks a lot better but we are young in the secondary and prone to mistakes. My take is that we are still getting all these working parts settled and that might not be good for us playing you guys right now. WM looks to be in mid-season form already and I think we are a game or two away from that.

Georgia Southern, arguably, is our toughest opponent to-date... they've played loose/undisciplined football yet are 3-0, out scoring opponents 3:1. Summer's, I'm sure, has set their target on WMU since day one and has his troops fired up and focused. BIG GAME for two up and comers on the national scene. Exciting stuff... 24-17 BRONCOS.
09-22-2016 03:37 PM
New School Bronco Offline
1st String

(09-22-2016 02:40 PM)brovol Wrote:  

I agree with this 100%
....so it must be right!
Toughest game is CMU because its at Mt. PEE...Toledo might have the most talented team we play, but at home. You could put Toledo, CMU, or GAS as the toughest game and have an argument.
09-22-2016 07:08 PM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Akron looked incredible against marshal. There are several games where we can get bit. Northern Illinois could still be dangerous. It's not like we have had their number over the years.
09-22-2016 07:23 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

MLive. Better coverage on Georgia State than WMU...
09-22-2016 07:31 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
http://www.forgotten5.com/2016/09/22/geo...ing-lines/

Forgotten5 article written by a Georgia Southern Grad.
09-22-2016 07:52 PM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
A "fan" writes the best preview piece yet. I look forward to seeing Georgia Southern fans at the game...just based on reading in here...good people
09-23-2016 05:08 AM
Advertisement

goldsworth Offline
1st String

(09-23-2016 05:08 AM)uclabruin Wrote:  A "fan" writes the best preview piece yet. I look forward to seeing Georgia Southern fans at the game...just based on reading in here...good people

I have to agree based on reading many of their comments on this board. Nothing mean spirited just a quiet confidence about their team along with a healthy respect for the Broncos. They could easily be real boastful based on the thrashing they put on WMU last year. It should be an excellent hard fought game.
09-23-2016 05:44 AM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
That speed worries me...
09-23-2016 06:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.