Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for ECU
IAH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
Question for ECU
I heard in a podcast that there is some local (not sure which state) legislation that "forces" the local FBS teams in ECU's region to play each other. And that is why NCST , Virginia tech, etc continues to schedule you guys (despite losing a bunch of games). Is that true?
09-20-2016 03:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
RE: Question for ECU
(09-20-2016 03:40 PM)IAH Wrote:  I heard in a podcast that there is some local (not sure which state) legislation that "forces" the local FBS teams in ECU's region to play each other. And that is why NCST , Virginia tech, etc continues to schedule you guys (despite losing a bunch of games). Is that true?

Yes, the NC Legislator forced UNC and NCSU to play us. VT plays us because they cool.
09-20-2016 03:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
I believe it was strongly recommended by the legislature for UNC and NC State but not forced. I don't have anything to back up this statement.
It has nothing to do with Va Tech playing us.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 03:45 PM by PirateJim.)
09-20-2016 03:44 PM
ECBrad Online
1st String

It was a threat never carried out that if they didn't figure out a way to play us regularly on reasonable terms that one would be figured out for them. I don't think we have the political juice to do that anymore and app and UNCC going FBS complicates matters for us in that regard.

Edit: to clarify this was during a period when unc and nc state were refusing to play us despite games we were involved in being record crowds at the time for football in NC. This was just about public fbs schools in North Carolina playing nice.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 03:50 PM by ECBrad.)
09-20-2016 03:46 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
How could ECU have any legislative or political power over Virginia Tech, West Virginia, or South Carolina?
09-20-2016 03:46 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

(09-20-2016 03:44 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  I believe it was strongly recommended by the legislature for UNC and NC State but not forced. I don't have anything to back up this statement.
It has nothing to do with Va Tech playing us.

Correct. There is no actual legislation regarding UNC and NCSU playing us, but supposedly there was going to be some if they didn't.

The NC legislature has no control over VA schools.
09-20-2016 03:52 PM
Advertisement

DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

That was a mostly empty threat from like the 90's
09-20-2016 04:28 PM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

Look at the history of games between ECU vs NC State and UNC.

We have only played UNC 15 times before ever. The first 9 were played @UNC. The state jumped in and they finally agreed to play in Greenville. (Which is only 4 times)

NCSTATE: this is were it gets comical, we have played them 29 times. The first 18 were @NCState. Then we kicked thier ass in the Peach bowl and they have made a whopping 4 trips to Greenville out of 29!

And you wonder why we have the chip on our shoulder?!?!?

Tennessee doesn't do that to Memphis.
Penn State doesn't to Temple.
Oklahoma doesn't to Tulsa.

WVU and VTech have been to Greenville more times then both State and UNC. Tech and WVU are much better football schools then either of them. And they wonder why we hate them.
09-20-2016 04:48 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(09-20-2016 04:48 PM)isidnirb Wrote:  Look at the history of games between ECU vs NC State and UNC.

We have only played UNC 15 times before ever. The first 9 were played @UNC. The state jumped in and they finally agreed to play in Greenville. (Which is only 4 times)

NCSTATE: this is were it gets comical, we have played them 29 times. The first 18 were @NCState. Then we kicked thier ass in the Peach bowl and they have made a whopping 4 trips to Greenville out of 29!

WVU and VTech have been to Greenville more times then both State and UNC. Tech and WVU are much better football schools then either of them. And they wonder why we hate them.

I am glad that North Carolina, NC State, and East Carolina play each other. It is good for the fans and good for football.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 04:59 PM by chess.)
09-20-2016 04:56 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(09-20-2016 04:48 PM)isidnirb Wrote:  NCSTATE: this is were it gets comical, we have played them 29 times. The first 18 were @NCState. Then we kicked thier ass in the Peach bowl and they have made a whopping 4 trips to Greenville out of 29!

What Tennessee does is just not schedule Memphis anymore, though it was always a regular home-home series. Historically, the only P5 that has scheduled us regularly is Ole Miss--61 games with the majority in Memphis--but I think that's coming to an end just like UT.
09-20-2016 05:32 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(09-20-2016 05:32 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  
(09-20-2016 04:48 PM)isidnirb Wrote:  NCSTATE: this is were it gets comical, we have played them 29 times. The first 18 were @NCState. Then we kicked thier ass in the Peach bowl and they have made a whopping 4 trips to Greenville out of 29!

What Tennessee does is just not schedule Memphis anymore, though it was always a regular home-home series. Historically, the only P5 that has scheduled us regularly is Ole Miss--61 games with the majority in Memphis--but I think that's coming to an end just like UT.

Part of the strategy for the P5 is to starve the non-P5 programs for home games.
09-20-2016 05:54 PM
Advertisement

ECMAN79 Offline
All American

that was all back in the day. NCSUx's and Cheater's administrations have freely scheduled home and homes with us the past several years because the games simply make sense for a variety of reasons.
09-20-2016 08:17 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(09-20-2016 03:40 PM)IAH Wrote:  I heard in a podcast that there is some local (not sure which state) legislation that "forces" the local FBS teams in ECU's region to play each other. And that is why NCST , Virginia tech, etc continues to schedule you guys (despite losing a bunch of games). Is that true?

They actually never forced anything and this happened over 20 years ago. A few legislators from the east put the word out they would defund certain things if UNC and NC State continued to duck ECU.

Suddenly, poof they started scheduling home and home. After 30-40 years of playing only home games and never traveling to Greenville.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 09:29 PM by First Mate.)
09-20-2016 09:14 PM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
09-20-2016 09:46 PM
ECBrad Online
1st String

That article is incorrect there is no law on the books.
09-20-2016 11:49 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I will never be surprised if UNC and NC State continue to schedule at the bare minimum. To put it on our terms, losing to South Carolina doesn't look as bad as losing to Western Carolina would have. Now imagine we played WC every couple of years, and they kept winning. I certainly get the reservations. They would much rather have 4 of their 6 wins to get to a bowl be against the likes of FCS powerhouses like Presbyterian and Delaware.

As far as the home vs away thing goes between the P5 and G5, P5 stadiums are just generally bigger. NC State could have sold 7,500 more tickets if we'd played away last week.
09-21-2016 05:15 AM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

There was a threat to get the legislation involved and mandate North Carolina Publically funded Universities play each other so the AD's at UNC and NCST went ahead and signed agreements with ECU before any law ever came to fruition.

UNC and NCST actually agreed to subsequent dates with no type legislative pressure at all. UNC had used the capacity of Ficklen as an excuse when it was 36k seat stadium but since expansion it became a moot point. Now that we hold 50K which is similar to both UNC and NCST and there are usually record crowds at ECU or UNC/NCST when we play so any argument against the series does not make sense. You throw in a multi million dollar impact to the local economy of Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Greenville every time these games are played and they are quite frankly a no brainer.

The Mayor of Greenville Allen Thomas was on Pirate Radio last week urging listeners to get involved in an election year to put pressure on those running to make sure the series between ECU, UNC and NCST is extended. We only have a few more games with both schools and if we don't schedule something soon then it will be 10-15 years before there is another opportunity the way schedules are planned so far in advance. Mayor Thomas who I went to school with at ECU makes the common sense argument of keeping the millions of dollars of revenue generated by these games in the State of NC. I think it would be good to alternate between UNC and NCST playing each of them every over year. Playing each other 5 times every decade is not too much to ask.
I would like to see ECU get back to playing Wake and Duke as well. No reason those schools should not look at ECU. As a South Carolina resident I would love to see Clemson schedule ECU. They play some absolutely horrible FCS schools and smaller G5 schools sometimes and those games can be ugly. It would be much better for Clemson to schedule a quality G5 school from the AAC to sharpen their skills prior to ACC play.
09-21-2016 05:26 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(09-20-2016 04:48 PM)isidnirb Wrote:  Look at the history of games between ECU vs NC State and UNC.

Then you have THE ohio state.....they don't play anybody in state unless its at Columbus. The ONE time they came to cincy, the game was at PBS and they beat us by five points...that was 2002 when they won the national title vs MiamiFL. They had another game in cincy as part of a 2 in columbus/2 in Cincy deal and they paid us 1million to move the 2nd cincy game to columbus....they won't be back to Cincy....ever.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2016 06:24 AM by Bearcats#1.)
09-21-2016 06:23 AM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
(09-20-2016 11:49 PM)ECBrad Wrote:  That article is incorrect there is no law on the books.

NCLEG.NET

Just showing where this issue was brought up in a house bill ratified or not.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2016 07:57 AM by ECUPirated.)
09-21-2016 07:53 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(09-21-2016 06:23 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Then you have THE ohio state.....they don't play anybody in state unless its at Columbus. The ONE time they came to cincy, the game was at PBS and they beat us by five points...that was 2002 when they won the national title vs MiamiFL. They had another game in cincy as part of a 2 in columbus/2 in Cincy deal and they paid us 1million to move the 2nd cincy game to columbus....they won't be back to Cincy....ever.

I remember watching that game in 2002 thinking that if UC wins this game like they should they will definitely never see Ohio St. any where near Cincinnati again. I can half way understand large schools like Ohio St. with massive capacity at their stadiums being picky about scheduling home and aways but for schools in the P5 that hold 50-60k at their stadiums it should be only 1 for 1 deals. Our ACC neighbors do not have massive stadiums like Ohio St so no reason they should not be willing to take a short bus ride to Greenville for a game that produces millions of dollars for the local economy. ECU is lucky to have UNC, NCST, VT, WVU and South Carolina to a certain extent nearby to make scheduling deals with. I would like to see us expand our scheduling horizon to Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, Penn St, Georgia and Tennessee who have all been on our schedule before and maybe go after some new names as well.
It can be tough putting an attractive OOC schedule together. I hope we quickly get out of the FCS scheduling game as I would rather open up with a CUSA team like Marshall, Southern Miss, Western KY etc.. before seeing another Western Carolina or Townson visit Ficklen
09-21-2016 08:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.