Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So, about that whole economic "recovery" we've had.....
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
So, about that whole economic "recovery" we've had.....
Awllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll f*ck.

Quote:Negative interest rates are spreading like a virus. Central banks in the Eurozone, Switzerland, Sweden, and Japan all have below-zero policy rates. “NIRP,” as economists call a negative interest rate policy, is a desperation move—but the only move those central banks have.

The Federal Reserve hasn’t followed—yet. When the next recession strikes, I believe Janet Yellen will choose to break the zero lower bound. The rationale was laid out in Jackson Hole. Look behind the headlines and you’ll see the Fed already preparing for NIRP.

In theory, negative rates should encourage consumers and businesses to spend more freely and stimulate growth. It hasn’t worked out that way. NIRP just punishes savers and makes everyone miserable.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-janet...11629.html
09-05-2016 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: So, about that whole economic "recovery" we've had.....
I have minor fears of another recession as economies continue to drag. I'm up about 100% on my house since I bought it in 2012, and I'm constantly going back and forth on whether I should get it ready to sell now or give it a bit longer.
09-05-2016 10:11 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(09-05-2016 10:11 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I have minor fears of another recession as economies continue to drag. I'm up about 100% on my house since I bought it in 2012, and I'm constantly going back and forth on whether I should get it ready to sell now or give it a bit longer.

Even though I'd argue that we haven't really exited the Great Recession all that much, we've technically been 'recovered' since it 'ended' in 2009. The most common range in between American recessions has been something like 6 to 8 years following WWII, so just based on those numbers I'm expecting one (especially with the economic policies we've had in place for quite some time now) during the next presidential term at least. I have no idea what the housing market is like wherever you live, but I'd strongly consider looking at it if times are high where you are.
09-05-2016 09:21 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-05-2016 09:46 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Awllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll f*ck.

Quote:Negative interest rates are spreading like a virus. Central banks in the Eurozone, Switzerland, Sweden, and Japan all have below-zero policy rates. “NIRP,” as economists call a negative interest rate policy, is a desperation move—but the only move those central banks have.

The Federal Reserve hasn’t followed—yet. When the next recession strikes, I believe Janet Yellen will choose to break the zero lower bound. The rationale was laid out in Jackson Hole. Look behind the headlines and you’ll see the Fed already preparing for NIRP.

In theory, negative rates should encourage consumers and businesses to spend more freely and stimulate growth. It hasn’t worked out that way. NIRP just punishes savers and makes everyone miserable.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-janet...11629.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/fed-chairwom...1472220004

Vs.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/201...rest-rates
09-05-2016 11:32 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I'm just going to throw this out there, a negative interest rate is probably not within the powers of the Fed.

There would likely be serious and valid challenges.
09-05-2016 11:33 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Worst "recovery" in modern American history. Think about that. As smart as we are now...03-lmfao and we're dumber than Krushchev was 50 years ago.

Those at the top, and some property owners, have done O.K. (hunh, sounds a lot like hopey changey, no?) since '08, not many else.

We're parading around a 15 buck an hour for the Serf-class, and that's got them all-a-twitter, while real wages have stagnated for near 15 years, growth has been revised DOWNWARD to somewhere around a pathetic 1% and we're told just to suck it up, times are good, Kobe bifsteak is best served rare and this is the "new normal".

What a joke.

Meanwhile people can't afford to go to their Doctor any more, so have found Patel at the doc ina box, their savings aren't even getting 1.5% returns and one after another they're told the pensions, 401k's? Wellllllllll, the benevolent "government" may, just might hafta, "borrow" from ya'lls. Lest the "public servants" and localities all go bankrupt.

Yea, lets keep doing what we've been doing. Vote for the same asssholes, making the same promises. Keep banging that head against the same wall and sucking down the Oxy to make it all feeeeeeel better.

But, hey. We got dudes in dresses in our bathrooms and in our Armies. That's the shiny object that's importante. Never mind the rest of that stuff.

Now, go dye your hair green. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 02:03 AM by JMUDunk.)
09-06-2016 02:02 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(09-06-2016 02:02 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Worst "recovery" in modern American history. Think about that. As smart as we are now...03-lmfao and we're dumber than Krushchev was 50 years ago.

Those at the top, and some property owners, have done O.K. (hunh, sounds a lot like hopey changey, no?) since '08, not many else.

We're parading around a 15 buck an hour for the Serf-class, and that's got them all-a-twitter, while real wages have stagnated for near 15 years, growth has been revised DOWNWARD to somewhere around a pathetic 1% and we're told just to suck it up, times are good, Kobe bifsteak is best served rare and this is the "new normal".

What a joke.

Meanwhile people can't afford to go to their Doctor any more, so have found Patel at the doc ina box, their savings aren't even getting 1.5% returns and one after another they're told the pensions, 401k's? Wellllllllll, the benevolent "government" may, just might hafta, "borrow" from ya'lls. Lest the "public servants" and localities all go bankrupt.

Yea, lets keep doing what we've been doing. Vote for the same asssholes, making the same promises. Keep banging that head against the same wall and sucking down the Oxy to make it all feeeeeeel better.

But, hey. We got dudes in dresses in our bathrooms and in our Armies. That's the shiny object that's importante. Never mind the rest of that stuff.

How in the World did You overlook the Global Warming crisis ?04-jawdrop
09-06-2016 04:54 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
IMO, Fed will raise rates so don't really anticipated going negative.
09-06-2016 07:44 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2016 02:02 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Worst "recovery" in modern American history. Think about that. As smart as we are now...03-lmfao and we're dumber than Krushchev was 50 years ago.

What a joke.

people at the top have done more than okay, they've done fantastically well. Wage growth has been minimal for a long time now, but the stock market has exploded at a rate that far exceeds inflation. Those at the top keep much of their worth in the market, so they've fared exceptionally well during Obama's tenure.

The middle class people that have minimal stock market holdings that are greatly impacted by inflation on the other hand, have gained little to nothing.
09-06-2016 11:57 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(09-06-2016 11:57 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

What a joke.

people at the top have done more than okay, they've done fantastically well. Wage growth has been minimal for a long time now, but the stock market has exploded at a rate that far exceeds inflation. Those at the top keep much of their worth in the market, so they've fared exceptionally well during Obama's tenure.

The middle class people that have minimal stock market holdings that are greatly impacted by inflation on the other hand, have gained little to nothing.

And the Clintons are right up there at the top. Shoot She was a stock market master even back in the Whitewater days. Bet They made out like bandits even on the Short when others lost millions.
09-06-2016 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2016 12:56 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 11:57 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

What a joke.

And the Clintons are right up there at the top. Shoot She was a stock market master even back in the Whitewater days. Bet They made out like bandits even on the Short when others lost millions.
I have little doubt.
09-06-2016 01:14 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I said in another thread a month or so ago that We REALLY need to over-heat this economy and bring some inflation back into it so that the fed can have more room to stimulate the economy in a recession. Slow and steady at 5% is entirely different from slow and steady at 1%.

Having said that, the Fed has essentially engaged in negative interest rates through printing cash, which SHOULD have resulted in a devaluation of the currency/buying power... Instead it has resulted in a windfall for the wealthy and no real effect on most of the economy.
09-06-2016 01:38 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(09-06-2016 01:38 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I said in another thread a month or so ago that We REALLY need to over-heat this economy and bring some inflation back into it so that the fed can have more room to stimulate the economy in a recession. Slow and steady at 5% is entirely different from slow and steady at 1%.

Having said that, the Fed has essentially engaged in negative interest rates through printing cash, which SHOULD have resulted in a devaluation of the currency/buying power... Instead it has resulted in a windfall for the wealthy and no real effect on most of the economy.

Probably because every other government on the planet is devaluing their currency at a much greater rate than we are. Its basically a race to the bottom. The good news is that we will get to see other country's going splat when they hit the bottom just prior to us going splat.
09-06-2016 01:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.