Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To Be Fair: BeIN is doing a fine job on their debut CFB game
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
Great graphics and up to date cameras (are they using their own or the school cameras?) Much better than ASN and probably a wider distribution. Wonder if we can talk ESPN into licensing a block of games to them (think ESPN3 games like WCU/ECU)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-03-2016 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
RE: To Be Fair: BeIN is doing a fine job on their debut CFB game
Didn't realize Bein is on basic verizon FIOS in Florida. After last nights fiasco graphics (no game clock and spotty down and distance) on the ECU/WCU ESPN3 game, this is solid coverage. Watching a replay of UTEP and New Mexico State. Probably the best thing for CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 03:11 PM by Pirate1.)
09-04-2016 03:11 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-04-2016 03:11 PM)Pirate1 Wrote:  Didn't realize Bein is on basic verizon FIOS in Florida. After last nights fiasco graphics (no game clock and spotty down and distance) on the ECU/WCU ESPN3 game, this is solid coverage. Watching a replay of UTEP and New Mexico State. Probably the best thing for CUSA.

Well to be fair there was still weather issues and even the scoreboard and PA at the stadium wasn't working correctly. However if the tier 3 (ESPN3) rights were sent to a smaller entity like BeIN I don't think anyone would be too mad. BeIN has their only streaming service (a bit shoddy but at least they have something, CBSSN has nothing) as well.

09-04-2016 05:40 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
I'm not into soccer, but people who are tell me that BeIN's coverage of that sport is outstanding in all technical departments. So it's not surprising that they know what they're doing. The problem is simply that most people in the US don't know where to find that channel. That's not an impossible problem to fix, but it will take some time.
09-04-2016 08:05 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-04-2016 05:40 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 03:11 PM)Pirate1 Wrote:  Didn't realize Bein is on basic verizon FIOS in Florida. After last nights fiasco graphics (no game clock and spotty down and distance) on the ECU/WCU ESPN3 game, this is solid coverage. Watching a replay of UTEP and New Mexico State. Probably the best thing for CUSA.

Well to be fair there was still weather issues and even the scoreboard and PA at the stadium wasn't working correctly. However if the tier 3 (ESPN3) rights were sent to a smaller entity like BeIN I don't think anyone would be too mad. BeIN has their only streaming service (a bit shoddy but at least they have something, CBSSN has nothing) as well.

cusa no longer has the cbs streaming. The league has taken charge of it with a directive for all schools to upgrade equipment for espn 3 down the road.
09-04-2016 08:18 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

PA and Scoreboard weren't working at the ECU game?
09-04-2016 08:32 PM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-04-2016 08:32 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  

Note I said correctly. Early on there was a rectangle that was flickering and not showing right and then it upgraded to just a small black square and then it finally got corrected. For PA the sound kept fluctuating in volume like there was a lose wire or something.

09-04-2016 08:44 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
They also streamed the game for free on Facebook. I was pretty impressed with the quality and I think Facebook live will be a great way to reach alums who otherwise may not be familiar their schools sports schedules. Facebook will send a notification to you when pages you like are involved in a live stream. Hardcore fans are always going to know, but I think it'll be a good way to engage casual alums.

I hope beIN picks up more games in the future. I know CUSA is just a stepping stone to get into college sports, but if it means quality coverage for a few years it's better than nothing I suppose.
09-04-2016 08:45 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-04-2016 08:18 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  

cusa no longer has the cbs streaming. The league has taken charge of it with a directive for all schools to upgrade equipment for espn 3 down the road.

I didn't say say CBS I said CBSSN. The actual channel doesn't have TV anywhere and when it does it's very limited in events and providers able to get it.

09-04-2016 08:46 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-04-2016 08:05 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I'm not into soccer, but people who are tell me that BeIN's coverage of that sport is outstanding in all technical departments. So it's not surprising that they know what they're doing. The problem is simply that most people in the US don't know where to find that channel. That's not an impossible problem to fix, but it will take some time.

Only around 12 or 16k actually gets the channel. They need to get wider distribution which is why they've worked to get tv deals for US based leagues like NASL and sports that fans will demand like CFB and CBK.

09-04-2016 08:50 PM
Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
(09-04-2016 08:05 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I'm not into soccer, but people who are tell me that BeIN's coverage of that sport is outstanding in all technical departments. So it's not surprising that they know what they're doing. The problem is simply that most people in the US don't know where to find that channel. That's not an impossible problem to fix, but it will take some time.

ESPN lost another 821,000 subscribers the second quarter of 2016. Streaming sports like BeIn network is doing is the future.
The AAC gets streaming a few football and basketball games I would pay a monthly fee to get the content. It would be worth it just not to hear the ESPN announcers spin the power 5 tale.
09-04-2016 09:33 PM
Advertisement

Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
No, they "reach" way more than 12-16k. That number is actually how many people watch the station on average.
09-04-2016 09:54 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-04-2016 09:54 PM)Noodles Wrote:  No, they "reach" way more than 12-16k. That number is actually how many people watch the station on average.

Lol thats correct If I remember correctly I think the network has about 25-30 million subscribers (which would be a bit less than FS-2).
09-04-2016 10:08 PM
bullsbucsfan426 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
I saw the NMSU-UTEP game live last night at a restaurant here in tampa (was stopping for dinner late night after the USF game). They didn't have audio commentary on, but from what I saw the presentation of the game itself (colors, rendering, technical work) was excellent. I too am not opposed to seeing them gain some extra marketshare. Right now I would still go to CBS sports network, just because it's a little bigger name, but I don't see that being the case down the road. I think we will see BeIn do well with bigger sports.

Side note-I would be disappointed if they were bad with soccer coverage. Their parent company is Qatari, and Qataris are (like most Arabs) very passionate about soccer. That is one area they won't have difficulty finding quality commentators for.
09-04-2016 10:30 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(09-04-2016 08:44 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

Note I said correctly. Early on there was a rectangle that was flickering and not showing right and then it upgraded to just a small black square and then it finally got corrected. For PA the sound kept fluctuating in volume like there was a lose wire or something.

Oh no
09-05-2016 08:32 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(09-05-2016 08:32 AM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 08:44 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  

Oh no

I saw the board malfunction. It was corrected pretty fast. All I heard was the on field mic feedback. One of the refs mic was messed up the entire game.
09-05-2016 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
In my area, beIN is only available on Comcast if you buy the $9.99 per month "Latino" package.
09-05-2016 01:17 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-04-2016 09:54 PM)Noodles Wrote:  No, they "reach" way more than 12-16k. That number is actually how many people watch the station on average.

Yeah my bad I was thinking of the Spanish channel (18k), the English Channel has 24k. In comparison the next lowest English Channel that shows CFB (CBSSN not included as not rated) is FS2 at 52K. The rest have over 80k.

09-05-2016 02:23 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

Yeah my bad I was thinking of the Spanish channel (18k), the English Channel has 24k. In comparison the next lowest English Channel that shows CFB (CBSSN not included as not rated) is FS2 at 52K. The rest have over 80k.

09-05-2016 02:23 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(09-04-2016 10:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Lol thats correct If I remember correctly I think the network has about 25-30 million subscribers (which would be a bit less than FS-2).

See above as I remembered the wrong BeIN channel.

09-05-2016 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.