Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Local Recruits 2017 - 2019
Bookmark and Share
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Local Recruits 2017 - 2019
Good Article from the Enquirer about local recruits. We've whiffed on most 2017, several with future offers in 2018 and 2019.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/h.../80072400/

08-31-2016 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Local Recruits 2017 - 2019
(08-31-2016 02:10 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  Good Article from the Enquirer about local recruits. We've whiffed on most 2017, several with future offers in 2018 and 2019.

I'm shocked TreSean Smith is going P5. I just don't get that one at all from what I've seen of him.

I've never understood the Clifford hype and I didn't realize he actually has a D1 WR on his team according to this list.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's another Schoenhoft / Massa in college.

I think someone is going to get a steal with Jacob Gall.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 02:25 PM by Marcus.)
08-31-2016 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
I linked this same article quite a few months ago. They've done a pretty good job of updating it I'm guessing every few weeks or so. Unfortunately, they don't clearly identify what exactly they've updated each time (at least not that I can tell) so you feel like you are re-reading the same article each time without knowing what the new developments are. Still it's a nice jump from the coverage recruiting used to get so kudos to the Enquirer.

I agree that I'd like to UC make a play for Gall. I know there are at least some UC fans in his family and it would be nice to build some Moeller/UC ties with him and Doug Bates (who is already at UC) going into next years class where we seem to be targeting Bates' brother (iirc) and Hawkins' son among others.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 02:55 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
08-31-2016 02:55 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(08-31-2016 02:20 PM)Marcus Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 02:10 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  Good Article from the Enquirer about local recruits. We've whiffed on most 2017, several with future offers in 2018 and 2019.

I'm shocked TreSean Smith is going P5. I just don't get that one at all from what I've seen of him.

I've never understood the Clifford hype and I didn't realize he actually has a D1 WR on his team according to this list.

X hater! 05-nono

But yes I totally agree. Clifford is....um...not real good.

08-31-2016 08:47 PM
Advertisement

natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(08-31-2016 08:47 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 02:20 PM)Marcus Wrote:  

X hater! 05-nono

But yes I totally agree. Clifford is....um...not real good.

Yeah we don't need any players dropping the soap in the shower...we'll stick with the elder moe and lasalle boys

08-31-2016 08:52 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I am guessing these 70 recruits span all three of these classes.

Mike Dyer Verified account 
‏@MikeDyer
70 high school football recruits from Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky expected to attend tonight's Houston at UC game at Nippert Stadium. @WCPO

09-15-2016 09:31 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
(09-15-2016 09:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I am guessing these 70 recruits span all three of these classes.

‏@MikeDyer
70 high school football recruits from Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky expected to attend tonight's Houston at UC game at Nippert Stadium. @WCPO

I'll be on the lookout; if there are any confirmed sightings I hope people will post the names.

09-15-2016 09:49 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

^^ According to twitter Moeller's Aeneas Hawkins and Brendan Bates (c/o 2018) will be there.

09-15-2016 09:57 AM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Hawkins is going to be a big-time recruit for sure.

09-15-2016 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(09-15-2016 09:57 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  ^^ According to twitter Moeller's Aeneas Hawkins and Brendan Bates (c/o 2018) will be there.

Younger brother of current Bearcat Doug Bates if my memory serves me correctly.

Along with Artrell's kid, there's some definite Bearcat history in that bunch

09-15-2016 11:01 AM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
(09-15-2016 10:12 AM)Marcus Wrote:  Hawkins is going to be a big-time recruit for sure.

Suckeyes have offered and unfortunately he seems pretty excited by it

09-15-2016 12:01 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(09-15-2016 09:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I am guessing these 70 recruits span all three of these classes.

‏@MikeDyer

Per Dyer's twitter feed the number is now up to 95.

Mike Dyer ‏@MikeDyer · 37m37 minutes ago

#UC expected to have 95 high school football players from Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan at tonight's @GoBEARCATS-@UHCougars game at Nippert

09-15-2016 01:37 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-15-2016 12:01 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  
(09-15-2016 10:12 AM)Marcus Wrote:  Hawkins is going to be a big-time recruit for sure.

Suckeyes have offered and unfortunately he seems pretty excited by it

Yeah he'll likely end up there despite his dad's ties here. It will take getting into the Big XII to even have a chance to get in the door with most of these kids.

09-15-2016 01:54 PM
Advertisement

eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2...d_mak.html

Quote:Big-time college football recruiting in Ohio: Did Cincinnati prove it can change things for Ohio State?

By Ari Wasserman, cleveland.com

September 15, 2016 at 10:10 PM, updated September 15, 2016 at 10:45 PM

CINCINNATI -- More than 70 high school football prospects lined up behind the north end zone at Nippert Stadium on Thursday night 20 minutes before kickoff, but there was kind of a tactical error.

Why on earth wouldn't Cincinnati's recruiting staff have those prospects standing on the south side by the student section? There were about 5,000 students already in attendance with many more on the way, and all were wearing black and banging together those thundersticks.

You want those prospects to feel that energy, especially on a night like Thursday when the Bearcats hosted No. 6 Houston. It was a different energy in Cincinnati than usual.

It was big-time college football in Ohio.

And it wasn't at Ohio State.

"The city of Cincinnati will rise and back UC if it gives them a reason to," Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller coach John Rodenberg told cleveland.com. "Cincinnati is a winning town. You go to a Reds game right now, last night, I don't know if there were 6,000 people there (for a last-place team). Cincinnati is a really fickle town. If you're winning, you're in great graces. If you're not, well ..."

This is less about the Bearcats winning and more about hope.

The hope is that Cincinnati will be invited to join the expanding Big 12, a change that would make nights like Thursday regular. Houston made for a big matchup, but think about the future world in which Cincinnati is inviting Oklahoma, Texas, TCU and Baylor to Nippert every year. In that world -- which could soon be a reality -- Cincinnati has more interesting games than Ohio State at times.

Scene from Nippert for UC-Houston
What do official visitors love? Big atmospheres. Good games. And a chance to win a national title. The Cincinnati of the American Athletic Conference -- the one that exists now -- doesn't offer any of those things.

The Cincinnati from Thursday night offers the world, and the Bearcats are already trying to capitalize on it.

Cincinnati had almost 80 prospects and a few big-time visitors Thursday, including four-star cornerback Amir Riep of Cincinnati Colerain, an Ohio State commit, and three-star defensive tackle Aeneas Hawkins of Cincinnati Winton Woods, who just earned a Buckeyes offer.

"It's exciting for Cincinnati," Winton Woods head coach Andre Parker told cleveland.com. "Ohio State is always going to be king in Ohio with Urban Meyer and what they are all about, but with a move to the Big 12, Cincinnati can make things more difficult on them and other Big Ten schools recruiting Ohio."

Parker is right on. He literally couldn't have said it better.

Urban Meyer isn't intimidated by Cincinnati. If he were, would he get up in front of the Columbus media and endorse the Bearcats' potential move to the Big 12? Let's be clear: Cincinnati isn't going to start taking kids away from Ohio State.

Ohio State's unique recruiting advantage
Ohio State's unique recruiting advantage
Ohio State's big recruiting advantage could be the main reason the Buckeyes have an argument for being the must indestructible program in college football.

But as for the complications part, Cincinnati could be a small roadblock for Ohio State, especially when you look at the Buckeyes' past recruiting in the Cincinnati area. Before Meyer took over and hired Kerry Coombs -- a former Cincinnati-area head coach -- there was a disconnect between the Buckeyes and the Queen City. Notre Dame was arguably the city's college football program.

What if the Bearcats join the Big 12? What if they are Cincinnati's in-state school? That could certainly make things harder for Ohio State.

Right now, an elite Cincinnati prospect who wants to stay home goes to Ohio State. In a few years, a special type of Cincinnati prospect who wants to stay home could go to Cincinnati.

Cincinnati to Cincinnati. That could be a thing.

"Every since the Big East folded, they have just struggled to get their identity back," Rodenberg said. "And it's crushed them. The city will follow UC if UC can play well (in big games) and get into the Big 12. That's what happened with the Big East. UC was winning, people cared."

Aeneas Hawkins
Let's get to the specific example of the type of prospect Ohio State could potentially lost to a Big 12 Cincinnati: Hawkins.

A three-star prospect who just earned an Ohio State offer, Hawkins is a loyal Cincinnati kid who's father played for the Bearcats. Though he the Buckeyes are high on him (they did offer him early in his junior year), Hawkins knows far more about Cincinnati than he does Ohio State.

He comes to Cincinnati games all the time. He lit up before the game seeing the atmosphere.

"This is way better than it usually is," he told cleveland.com.

What if this is how it usually is? Cincinnati had a little over 40,000 people in the stands, and its atmosphere was certainly on par with what you'd find at premier games for middle-of-the-run Big Ten programs. Picture a big game at Maryland.

Cincinnati-Houston
Cincinnati had a packed house of more than 40,000 people for its game against Houston on Thursday night. The Bearcats hosted about 80 prospects for visits.
Bill Landis, cleveland.com

"They still have a chance right now as they are," Hawkins said, "but if they got to the Big 12 and had the chance to pull big-named guys out of Ohio consistently that normally Ohio State or teams like that would pull, then obviously that would make them even more attractive than they are to me already."

Right now, no matter what Hawkins says, Ohio State has to be viewed as the team to beat in his recruitment. When the Buckeyes offer a kid in Ohio, you know the result.

But a Big 12 version of Cincinnati will make it harder to get the early commitment from certain Cincinnati recruits. More work on Hawkins, less time for Ohio State to spend on other prospects.

Or maybe Hawkins will be the first to chose Cincinnati over Ohio State. It will happen eventually.

Ohio State is the undisputed King of Ohio.

But for the first time in forever, the Buckeyes could have some in-state competition.

09-16-2016 09:13 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

Donators
Nice find eroc... Rodenberg (who steered the WR to MSU from Cincinnati) being his usual self with the back handed statements.

09-16-2016 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.