Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NPR commentary on EMU football
Bookmark and Share
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
NPR commentary on EMU football
Commentator questions why schools like EMU have football. Much of the bit could have been taken from this board. He asks how a school can justify bleeding money on a football team no one cares about when the $, especially that taken from the general fund, could be better used to improve academics. He cited Idaho as the test case that will show whether "big-time" football truly benefits the minnows in the pond. Not trying to flame here, just thought it was interesting that EMU was the focal point.
08-31-2016 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: NPR commentary on EMU football
The reality is that every MAC school and almost all of the NCAA subsidizes athletics. EMU gets to be the focal point but we are all in the same boat. It's a subject that goes way beyond EMU.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using CSNbbs mobile app
08-31-2016 08:37 AM
herdinva Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
(08-31-2016 08:37 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  The reality is that every MAC school and almost all of the NCAA subsidizes athletics. EMU gets to be the focal point but we are all in the same boat. It's a subject that goes way beyond EMU.

All do subsidize other than the biggest players of the FBS, ie Ohio State, texas etc.

Now the percentage of Subsidy is where a lot of this is going to hurt. Say ohio schools (just theoretical) are mandated by state legislature to cute subsidy to no more than 50%. Run the numbers and see where that puts your budget vs. operating expenses. Even Cincy would be in trouble (unless they get in the B12) if they had to comply with that. It would be very hard, maybe impossible, to make that money up elsewhere.
08-31-2016 08:49 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(08-31-2016 08:49 AM)herdinva Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 08:37 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  The reality is that every MAC school and almost all of the NCAA subsidizes athletics. EMU gets to be the focal point but we are all in the same boat. It's a subject that goes way beyond EMU.

All do subsidize other than the biggest players of the FBS, ie Ohio State, texas etc.

Now the percentage of Subsidy is where a lot of this is going to hurt. Say ohio schools (just theoretical) are mandated by state legislature to cute subsidy to no more than 50%. Run the numbers and see where that puts your budget vs. operating expenses. Even Cincy would be in trouble (unless they get in the B12) if they had to comply with that. It would be very hard, maybe impossible, to make that money up elsewhere.
So how do you cut costs? Maybe cut sports, reduce scholarships, trim payroll, etc...

Serious question: is the higher subsidy the result of increased tuition costs? In other words, does higher tuition increase the value of a scholarship thus requiring a greater subsidy?

08-31-2016 09:16 AM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(08-31-2016 08:33 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Commentator questions why schools like EMU have football. Much of the bit could have been taken from this board. He asks how a school can justify bleeding money on a football team no one cares about when the $, especially that taken from the general fund, could be better used to improve academics. He cited Idaho as the test case that will show whether "big-time" football truly benefits the minnows in the pond. Not trying to flame here, just thought it was interesting that EMU was the focal point.

Link?
08-31-2016 10:32 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(08-31-2016 08:33 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Commentator questions why schools like EMU have football. Much of the bit could have been taken from this board. He asks how a school can justify bleeding money on a football team no one cares about when the $, especially that taken from the general fund, could be better used to improve academics. He cited Idaho as the test case that will show whether "big-time" football truly benefits the minnows in the pond. Not trying to flame here, just thought it was interesting that EMU was the focal point.

NPR doesn't strike me as a workplace filled with employees who spend their fall Saturday afternoons with buffalo wings, beer and football.
08-31-2016 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-31-2016 10:40 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  NPR doesn't strike me as a workplace filled with employees who spend their fall Saturday afternoons with buffalo wings, beer and football.

I bet Wade Goodwyn goes to a few games now and again.
08-31-2016 10:44 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(08-31-2016 10:40 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  NPR doesn't strike me as a workplace filled with employees who spend their fall Saturday afternoons with buffalo wings, beer and football.

Football is gauche to the NPR-listening Whole-Foods-shopping, Subaru-driving, free-range-alpaca-wearing Macalester/Carlton/Saint Olaf graduating hipster pseudo-sophisticate that sees xerself as a MLS soccer fan.
08-31-2016 10:56 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(08-31-2016 10:56 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

Football is gauche to the NPR-listening Whole-Foods-shopping, Subaru-driving, free-range-alpaca-wearing Macalester/Carlton/Saint Olaf graduating hipster pseudo-sophisticate that sees xerself as a MLS soccer fan.

That's just not true- I like football a lot. I mean, not like I like free-range alpacas or indie coffee shops, but a lot.
08-31-2016 11:07 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(08-31-2016 10:32 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  

Link?

My ears aren't set up for links. Might try Michigan's NPR out of Ann Ahboh.
08-31-2016 11:07 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(08-31-2016 10:40 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  

NPR doesn't strike me as a workplace filled with employees who spend their fall Saturday afternoons with buffalo wings, beer and football.

NPR is total trash
08-31-2016 11:35 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(08-31-2016 11:07 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Link?

Ironically, the top NPR station in the Ann Arbor area is......WEMU! WEMU is also the radio home of EMU athletics.

08-31-2016 11:49 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(08-31-2016 11:49 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Link?

Ironically, the top NPR station in the Ann Arbor area is......WEMU! WEMU is also the radio home of EMU athletics.

I think this is 91.7.
08-31-2016 11:58 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(08-31-2016 11:35 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

NPR is total trash

That total trash radio station actually does some journalism. That "total trash" was calling for investigations into the Flint water crisis a year before anyone else got interested. That "total trash" radio gave a thoughtful review, clearly defined as opinion, that looked into a very real concern about college football-I could go on and on but I suspect you aren't much interested in actually learning anything new that might shake your world.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2016 12:04 PM by H2Oville Rocket.)
08-31-2016 12:03 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(08-31-2016 11:58 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Link?

I think this is 91.7.

08-31-2016 12:04 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
03-yes
(08-31-2016 12:03 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 11:35 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

NPR is total trash

That total trash radio station actually does some journalism. That "total trash" was calling for investigations into the Flint water crisis a year before anyone else got interested. That "total trash" radio gave a thoughtful review, clearly defined as opinion, that looked into a very real concern about college football-I could go on and on but I suspect you aren't much interested in actually learning anything new that might shake your world.

03-yes
08-31-2016 12:15 PM
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Idaho is a pretty poor test subject as what other competition do they have in their state? Is there wasteful spending in college athletics? Most certainly, but that is true across the board in higher education. Akron feels the need to build a nicer, bigger, more luxurious rec center, student union, dorms than its competitors (OU, Kent, Maimi, Toledo, BG, etc) in order to beat its competition and raise enrollment. If schools actually focused more on the essentials and less on the bells and whistles, higher education would be much more affordable. The problem is I don't see schools deciding to quit trying to one up the other anytime soon therefore the cost of tuition will only continue to rise.
08-31-2016 12:56 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Doesn't NPR receive taxpayer dollars through tax break giving, grants, etc?
Otherwise it would not exist. I definitely see some irony.
08-31-2016 01:33 PM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-31-2016 12:04 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 11:58 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(08-31-2016 11:07 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  My ears aren't set up for links. Might try Michigan's NPR out of Ann Ahboh.

I think this is 91.7.

WEMU is 89.1. WUOM is 91.7. Both are public radio stations. WEMU plays jazz and blues during the day and carries many of the EMU Eagles games. WUOM, affiliated with the University of Michigan, is all news and talk, and the flagship of the Michigan Public Radio network, which also includes stations in Grand Rapids and Flint.
08-31-2016 02:10 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-31-2016 12:56 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Idaho is a pretty poor test subject as what other competition do they have in their state? Is there wasteful spending in college athletics? Most certainly, but that is true across the board in higher education. Akron feels the need to build a nicer, bigger, more luxurious rec center, student union, dorms than its competitors (OU, Kent, Maimi, Toledo, BG, etc) in order to beat its competition and raise enrollment. If schools actually focused more on the essentials and less on the bells and whistles, higher education would be much more affordable. The problem is I don't see schools deciding to quit trying to one up the other anytime soon therefore the cost of tuition will only continue to rise.

Why stop at football? Why not just get rid of all sports? They all cost money to run.
08-31-2016 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.