Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Traveling to Memphis Game Need Advice
Bookmark and Share
MyBoyBlue212 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kansas
A group of 4(2 couples in mid 30's) coming in for the Memphis/Kansas game. Staying on Beale and first time in Memphis. We have traveled to many KU road games and always enjoy going places where the host team fans recommend(rather then the normal tourist areas).

Any recommendations to go before the game(11:00am) to grab a beer or eat?

Recommendations of some sports bars to watch college football Saturday afternoon/evening after the game(going w/ two Auburn fans)?

Places to go out and have dinner/drinks Friday evening?

We are good w/ taxi/uber so location not a big deal.

Thanks so much and looking forward seeing your University and city.
08-17-2016 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlueTigr01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Traveling to Memphis Game Need Advice
Go to Loflin yard downtown. Nothing else compares
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 05:24 PM by BlueTigr01.)
08-17-2016 05:22 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(08-17-2016 05:22 PM)BlueTigr01 Wrote:  Go to Loflin yard downtown. Nothing else compares

Go to Overton Square after the game. About a mile from the stadium. Many restaurants, shopping, will probably be some live music on a Saturday afternoon.
08-17-2016 05:35 PM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

BBQ choices will be Central BBQ or Rendevous

You'll have a blast on Beale. They've started a new program where there's a small cover to get on Beale, but it's well worth it. Keeps the trouble away
08-17-2016 05:37 PM
cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

I Root For: Brewpubs
(08-17-2016 05:35 PM)Tigx Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 05:22 PM)BlueTigr01 Wrote:  Go to Loflin yard downtown. Nothing else compares

Go to Overton Square after the game. About a mile from the stadium. Many restaurants, shopping, will probably be some live music on a Saturday afternoon.

Yep Overton Square on Madison off of Cooper is always fun on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. That's where I would recommend going after the game or the night before since it's really close to the Liberty Bowl. Also Cooper Young is fun and has some nice bars and restaurants and is even closer to the LB, but will probably be packed.
08-17-2016 05:44 PM
Timandjen94 Offline
2nd String

Overton square for sure, close to stadium, nice parking garage. I like lafayette's, bosco's, and local for bars. Lafayette's is my favorite. Beale street is fine, however, I much rather go to Overton square
08-17-2016 06:14 PM
Advertisement

dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

If you have lots of time, Graceland and the zoo.
08-17-2016 06:24 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
On Beale: Itta Bena, a speakeasy above BB Kings with upscale food. Go up the stairs inside the door or the steps under the awning on the west side.
Blues City Cafe, for steaks, tamales, catfish, ribs, and people watching, and live music. Open late.
BB Kings has fantastic local bands at all hours. Will Tucker plays the early show on Friday and Saturdays, amazing young guitarist.
Silky Sullivans is a large, historic bar, with dualing pianos, oysters, and a large patio.

Earnestine & Hazel's, dive bar in former brothel in South Main. Lots of local history and diverse crowds. Open until 3:00, very late night. Go upstairs and see Bartender Nate. No. 2 in Esquire Magazine of Dive Bars in America. DO NOT MISS

Also in South Main: Double J, for steaks, ribs, cool bar upstairs with a view of downtown, music.
Max's Bar, the place where locals catch all the games, late night.
A couple blocks toward the river on Front Street, the Blue Monkey, really good food and amazing interior.
Pearl's Oyster House, best chargrilled oysters.

Overton Square: Great music at Lafayette's. You can't go wrong in any restaurant here.

Then take the Roo down to Cooper-Young: Sweet Grass and Sweet Grass Next Door, good food
Mulan
Celtic Crossing
Tsunami, sea bass to die for!

Just outside of Downtown in Victorian Village: Tour the Fontaine Home, and then have drinks across the street at another Victorian Home, Molly Fontaine's Lounge, most diverse crowd ever and interesting decor.

Broad Street, east of Downtown: The Cove for oysters.

Drive through Midtown down Peabody or Central and see the beautiful homes, and take a drive through Overton Park.

Stax a few miles from Downtown is well worth the visit; Sun Studio just outside Downtown; and Rock and Soul Museum downtown is a MUST.

Tour the world famous Peabody Hotel downtown, and go up on the roof and see where the ducks live and take in the view. Catch a duck march in the morning or the late afternoon when the ducks come down the elevator to swim in the lobby fountain.

Don't spend all your time on Beale. There is SO much more to see in this town.
08-17-2016 06:27 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Take a few minutes to visit the rooftop of the Madison Hotel. They have a full setup with bar and stuff. Awesome view of the river, sunset, and city as a whole. Peabody Hotel has the same too but it's more touristy.

The view and ambiance might remind you of the top of the Oread in your parts, but way more expansive.
08-17-2016 06:34 PM
WColt45 Offline
Tigris Fanaticus

I Root For: West TN Normal
Stay off of streets named after states or presidents
08-17-2016 08:14 PM
B757dog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-17-2016 08:14 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  Stay off of streets named after states or presidents

Nice (sarc)
08-17-2016 08:21 PM
Advertisement

southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
(08-17-2016 08:21 PM)B757dog Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 08:14 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  Stay off of streets named after states or presidents

Nice (sarc)

But true.
08-17-2016 08:37 PM
Seabee TIger Fan Offline
No Ma'am

I Root For: Merica

Ive heard this before.
08-17-2016 08:57 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2016 08:57 PM)Seabee TIger Fan Wrote:  

Ive heard this before.

If this was the 70's then maybe. Not now. You guys sounds like the old folks. Get outside and see the city.
08-17-2016 09:03 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(08-17-2016 05:15 PM)MyBoyBlue212 Wrote:  A group of 4(2 couples in mid 30's) coming in for the Memphis/Kansas game. Staying on Beale and first time in Memphis. We have traveled to many KU road games and always enjoy going places where the host team fans recommend(rather then the normal tourist areas).

Any recommendations to go before the game(11:00am) to grab a beer or eat?

Recommendations of some sports bars to watch college football Saturday afternoon/evening after the game(going w/ two Auburn fans)?

Places to go out and have dinner/drinks Friday evening?

We are good w/ taxi/uber so location not a big deal.

Thanks so much and looking forward seeing your University and city.

Do you SEE, all you non-OCS people???? Do you SEE? They will NOT get to see our beautiful university. What a shame.
08-17-2016 09:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
Cooper-Young Festival is on the 17th also (the neighborhood directly west of the stadium) if you want to check that out after the game and before you slide over to Overton Square. if you park at CBU, there is a free shuttle back and forth

http://cooperyoungfestival.com/

[Image: stadium%20area_zpsosnv78bf.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 09:39 PM by tigerjeb.)
08-17-2016 09:22 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline

I don't know about "nothing else compares," but I cosine this location. If I'm in town for that game, I may join you guys!!! 04-cheers
08-17-2016 09:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(08-17-2016 08:37 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  

Nice (sarc)

But true.

It used to be true. But not now. We went to the Memphis farmers market a couple of months ago, and didnt recognize the area.
08-17-2016 10:07 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(08-17-2016 10:07 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(08-17-2016 08:37 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  

Nice (sarc)

But true.

It used to be true. But not now. We went to the Memphis farmers market a couple of months ago, and didnt recognize the area.

The presidents part is still true.
08-17-2016 10:10 PM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(08-17-2016 06:27 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  On Beale: Itta Bena, a speakeasy above BB Kings with upscale food. Go up the stairs inside the door or the steps under the awning on the west side.
Blues City Cafe, for steaks, tamales, catfish, ribs, and people watching, and live music. Open late.
BB Kings has fantastic local bands at all hours. Will Tucker plays the early show on Friday and Saturdays, amazing young guitarist.
Silky Sullivans is a large, historic bar, with dualing pianos, oysters, and a large patio.

Earnestine & Hazel's, dive bar in former brothel in South Main. Lots of local history and diverse crowds. Open until 3:00, very late night. Go upstairs and see Bartender Nate. No. 2 in Esquire Magazine of Dive Bars in America. DO NOT MISS

Also in South Main: Double J, for steaks, ribs, cool bar upstairs with a view of downtown, music.
Max's Bar, the place where locals catch all the games, late night.
A couple blocks toward the river on Front Street, the Blue Monkey, really good food and amazing interior.
Pearl's Oyster House, best chargrilled oysters.

Overton Square: Great music at Lafayette's. You can't go wrong in any restaurant here.

Then take the Roo down to Cooper-Young: Sweet Grass and Sweet Grass Next Door, good food
Mulan
Celtic Crossing
Tsunami, sea bass to die for!

Just outside of Downtown in Victorian Village: Tour the Fontaine Home, and then have drinks across the street at another Victorian Home, Molly Fontaine's Lounge, most diverse crowd ever and interesting decor.

Broad Street, east of Downtown: The Cove for oysters.

Drive through Midtown down Peabody or Central and see the beautiful homes, and take a drive through Overton Park.

Stax a few miles from Downtown is well worth the visit; Sun Studio just outside Downtown; and Rock and Soul Museum downtown is a MUST.

Tour the world famous Peabody Hotel downtown, and go up on the roof and see where the ducks live and take in the view. Catch a duck march in the morning or the late afternoon when the ducks come down the elevator to swim in the lobby fountain.

Don't spend all your time on Beale. There is SO much more to see in this town.

Dang! I have not lived in Memphis for years and this has me wanting to plan a trip. Well done. 04-cheers
08-17-2016 10:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.