Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is EKU the first choice for a backfill?
Bookmark and Share
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Is EKU the first choice for a backfill?
During the supposed realignment, if the Sun Belt loses a school, will EKU be the first choice to fill an open slot?
07-28-2016 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
RE: Is EKU the first choice for a backfill?
Sun Belt will take its time if a spot opens up in the conference. Therefor to answer you question, it is anyone guess. A lot depends on who the conference loses as a member. You have to remember the Sun Belt waited what almost 3 years to add a replacement for WKU.
07-28-2016 08:44 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Re: RE: Is EKU the first choice for a backfill?
(07-28-2016 08:35 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  During the supposed realignment, if the Sun Belt loses a school, will EKU be the first choice to fill an open slot?

Odds are it won't get to us but who we would take in a replacement would be greatly determined by who we lose to the AAC.
07-28-2016 09:01 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I do not want EKU. I'd rather go back to NMSU or see if JMU's administration has grown up any. Other than that, absolutely no more FCS call-ups.
07-28-2016 09:05 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
I would think they would get a harder look and more consideration should the belt get raided and need to reload
07-28-2016 09:21 PM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
Jacksonville State or JMU. EKU is too much of a risk.
07-28-2016 09:22 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(07-28-2016 09:05 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  I do not want EKU. I'd rather go back to NMSU or see if JMU's administration has grown up any. Other than that, absolutely no more FCS call-ups.

This is our president. Does he look grown up to you? Look close, notice anything about the way he's wearing his hat? Unfortunately, he has more interest in diversity than athletics.

[Image: 635811981105757773-Jonathan-Alger.jpg]
07-28-2016 09:25 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(07-28-2016 09:22 PM)SENOREIDA Wrote:  Jacksonville State or JMU. EKU is too much of a risk.

Even with our recent renovation of our basketball arena and the announcement of a "might as well be" new baseball stadium, JSUs administration doesnt appear to be interested in FBS. JSU like Troy and other Alabama regional universities are fighting loss enrollment and state funding cuts. Too many schools were pushing UAT and Auburn so the legislator is trying their best to cut out as much competition as possible.

JSU could compete in a hurry in most sports in the SunBelt but I dont see us moving. Plus I dont see JSU gaining support unless South Alabama moves to another conference.
07-28-2016 10:18 PM
8993 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
If we absolutely *have* to invite more members, I would look at JMU, UTC, and JSU before EKU. EKU just doesn't do anything for me.
07-28-2016 10:58 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(07-28-2016 10:58 PM)rknj8993 Wrote:  If we absolutely *have* to invite more members, I would look at JMU, UTC, and JSU before EKU. EKU just doesn't do anything for me.

I get that but on the other hand, their new AD is balls to the wall all about FBS and they're throwing millions at on campus infrastructure. Not saying I'm for or against, but like our presidents, I find them to be at the very least, "interesting".
07-29-2016 03:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(07-28-2016 09:01 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 08:35 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  During the supposed realignment, if the Sun Belt loses a school, will EKU be the first choice to fill an open slot?

Odds are it won't get to us but who we would take in a replacement would be greatly determined by who we lose to the AAC.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but a Sun Belt member has never gotten a serious look from the AAC before. Facts are facts, but perception is reality, and the current national perception of conferences says that the AAC will backfill from CUSA. That's bad for us and good for you guys. Maybe?
07-29-2016 05:14 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
The AAC members getting P5 looks never got them before either, things change.
07-29-2016 05:33 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
UT-Chattanooga would actually be a good fit geographically. Unfortunately, they don't have enough fan/donor support to fund the move. Would need to add baseball, but facilities are nice and football has gotten better. Basketball has been consistently competitive.

Obviously JMU has a lot of upside, but they don't seem interested.

Jax State will get blocked.

I support Liberty. They have the money and fan support and while their curriculum is slanted, it only gets attention because it's NOT slanted toward multiculturalism, Earth worship, identity politics, revisionist history, and Marxist economics like most schools.
07-29-2016 06:10 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(07-28-2016 09:25 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 09:05 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  I do not want EKU. I'd rather go back to NMSU or see if JMU's administration has grown up any. Other than that, absolutely no more FCS call-ups.

This is our president. Does he look grown up to you? Look close, notice anything about the way he's wearing his hat? Unfortunately, he has more interest in diversity than athletics.

[Image: 635811981105757773-Jonathan-Alger.jpg]

Reading your board seems like many of you guys are expecting an AAC invite.
07-29-2016 07:07 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(07-28-2016 09:01 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Odds are it won't get to us but who we would take in a replacement would be greatly determined by who we lose to the AAC.

I'm hoping it just doesn't get to us.
07-29-2016 07:09 AM
EKUPROF Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EKU
EKU will have brand new baseball and softball stadiums and indoor practice/hitting facilities before next season. Ground breaks on the new visitor's side of the football stadium in the next few weeks.
07-29-2016 07:11 AM
Advertisement

ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(07-29-2016 05:14 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  

I'm not saying it will never happen, but a Sun Belt member has never gotten a serious look from the AAC before. Facts are facts, but perception is reality, and the current national perception of conferences says that the AAC will backfill from CUSA. That's bad for us and good for you guys. Maybe?

Fact are also fact and what they tell us is the only CUSA teams with a chance of being invited to the AAC are as follows.

1. Marshall
2. Rice
3. Southern Miss
4. UTEP (will not be because of location)
5. UAB (will not be because of dropping football)

No other present member of CUSA will receive an invite due to the following facts.

1. No conference history with the 9 past members of CUSA that moved to Big East/AAC.
2. Least amount of time in CUSA by past conference member before being invited to join AAC has been 8 years.

So it looks like except for Marshall, Rice, USM, UTEP, or UAB: the rest of the CUSA member are in the same boat as the present Sun Belt members when it comes to be invited to join the AAC.
07-29-2016 07:59 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(07-29-2016 07:59 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

Fact are also fact and what they tell us is the only CUSA teams with a chance of being invited to the AAC are as follows.

1. Marshall
2. Rice
3. Southern Miss

No other present member of CUSA will receive an invite due to the following facts.

1. No conference history with the 9 past members of CUSA that moved to Big East/AAC.
2. Least amount of time in CUSA by past conference member before being invited to join AAC has been 8 years.

So it looks like except for Marshall, Rice, USM, UTEP, or UAB: the rest of the CUSA member are in the same boat as the present Sun Belt members when it comes to be invited to join the AAC.

^This. I love how CUSA members act like CUSA is the golden ticket to all things realignment when most of it's members won't even get a glance. The AAC wants one maybe two teams from old CUSA but the rest of the conference will be seen as being the Sun Belt 2.0 once those two teams leave.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2016 08:29 AM by TrueBlueDrew.)
07-29-2016 08:27 AM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
but if CUSA gets 2 teams pulled, whats not to say that they stick right where they are? If they lose 2 of their best programs, their tv deal will probably get worse, so why bring on 2 more programs which will just cause schools to get less money?
07-29-2016 09:17 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-29-2016 08:27 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(07-29-2016 07:59 AM)ValleyBoy Wrote:  

1. Marshall
2. Rice
3. Southern Miss

^This. I love how CUSA members act like CUSA is the golden ticket to all things realignment when most of it's members won't even get a glance. The AAC wants one maybe two teams from old CUSA but the rest of the conference will be seen as being the Sun Belt 2.0 once those two teams leave.

Except, depending which CUSA schools are taken and how many they could go back to 14 even if they are down to 12 to really even out the divisions. You would have to think that Texas St would be a replacement for any CUSA west division loss and perhaps ULL.
07-29-2016 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.