anyone lurking, even?
07-28-2016 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Just checking if anyone's here in case we move
(07-28-2016 04:56 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  anyone lurking, even?

Just me as you can tell by my topics I've added. Get a visitor now and then.
Main MW fans are on the other board.

By the way, what is your opinion of what Rice fans feeling about being in a western conference? I know there was a previous experience with the Wac 16.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2016 10:53 PM by MWC Tex.)
07-28-2016 10:50 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(07-28-2016 10:50 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

By the way, what is your opinion of what Rice fans feeling about being in a western conference? I know there was a previous experience with the Wac 16.

Hi, MWC TEx. Thanks for taking my call.

I'd say our board (here in the CUSA section of csnbbs--thank goodness for this board!) is split. I'd venture to say more of the west Texans would like it, but several of us more east coast oriented would not.

Rice being in Houston we are in the middle and kind of no-man's land for conference affiliation.

I remember when Rice was in the WAC16, we basically disappeared from news coverage in the east. I see the benefit for the MWC as far as recruiting foothold, but it is hard for me to see a benefit for Rice. I think AAC makes more sense for us in short term. Would love us to surprise and get into Big XII but I don't see that happening.

I wish ACC could take Rice and another school as a foothold into Texas for that conference, to better compete with SEC.
07-29-2016 11:30 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I will say I find the purple color of your board here much more soothing than the stark red and blue of the AAC board.
07-29-2016 11:31 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(07-29-2016 11:30 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(07-28-2016 10:50 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Hi, MWC TEx. Thanks for taking my call.

I'd say our board (here in the CUSA section of csnbbs--thank goodness for this board!) is split. I'd venture to say more of the west Texans would like it, but several of us more east coast oriented would not.

Rice being in Houston we are in the middle and kind of no-man's land for conference affiliation.

I remember when Rice was in the WAC16, we basically disappeared from news coverage in the east. I see the benefit for the MWC as far as recruiting foothold, but it is hard for me to see a benefit for Rice. I think AAC makes more sense for us in short term. Would love us to surprise and get into Big XII but I don't see that happening.

I wish ACC could take Rice and another school as a foothold into Texas for that conference, to better compete with SEC.

I understand that. One thing that is now different from the WAC days is there are more networks to get exposure. Also, with the MW Digital Network fans will be able to see Rice's other sports anywhere.
I think if there is any expansion before the TV contract is up is if BYU wants back in after not making it to the Big 12.
07-30-2016 04:00 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(07-30-2016 04:00 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I understand that. One thing that is now different from the WAC days is there are more networks to get exposure. Also, with the MW Digital Network fans will be able to see Rice's other sports anywhere.
I think if there is any expansion before the TV contract is up is if BYU wants back in after not making it to the Big 12.

That would be the only other place they'd realistically go, but every list I have seen rates BYU as the top expansion candidate for the Big XII.

Even though there are more digital networks and such these days which helps, seeing your school play in person still accounts for a lot. Buying merch, reconnecting with friends, etc...

I wonder if this is the last "boat" of expansion for us little guys in the G5. Will Pac12 expand to 14? Will 16 become the new number for P5s down the road? (If that happened, Rice would do best in SEC west.)
07-31-2016 12:41 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(07-31-2016 12:41 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(07-30-2016 04:00 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I understand that. One thing that is now different from the WAC days is there are more networks to get exposure. Also, with the MW Digital Network fans will be able to see Rice's other sports anywhere.

That would be the only other place they'd realistically go, but every list I have seen rates BYU as the top expansion candidate for the Big XII.

Even though there are more digital networks and such these days which helps, seeing your school play in person still accounts for a lot. Buying merch, reconnecting with friends, etc...

I wonder if this is the last "boat" of expansion for us little guys in the G5. Will Pac12 expand to 14? Will 16 become the new number for P5s down the road? (If that happened, Rice would do best in SEC west.)

I think it is one of the last boats. Depends on the pac 12.

could be later down the road that a conf like the MW elevates to power status.
07-31-2016 08:05 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(07-31-2016 08:05 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I think it is one of the last boats. Depends on the pac 12.

could be later down the road that a conf like the MW elevates to power status.

I guess that BYU could change and go to the PAC12 if they expanded again. Not sure how Utah would feel about that. Of course, there's the whole religious school thing and the related scheduling of games thing to deal with, which the PAC schools don't seem really inclined to accommodate.

I'm reading now where the BIG XII GOR run to 2025 and there is a feeling among some that they won't be extended so that will give Texas and OU an out to leave the others behind and move after this money grab. Which would then set in play possible moves involving the MWC at that time.

It's funny how there never really seems to be an endgame to all the realignment, even when it looks like there will. There's always something new happening to change the scenario. I wonder when the reverse dominoes of reduced tv rights and viewership and internet effects will finally really cause schools to have to go back to more regional conferences again?
08-01-2016 12:15 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

Oh yeah, I thought i'd been through this before with ya'll. Stay tuned...
07-23-2021 01:51 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(07-23-2021 01:51 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Oh yeah, I thought i'd been through this before with ya'll. Stay tuned...

...go EAST, young hooter!!! 02-13-banana
10-19-2021 12:53 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

Yep. No new people joining the MW.
Hoping for Texas St to join the MW
10-19-2021 09:00 PM
Guardian Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Alabama, SBC
(10-19-2021 09:00 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Yep. No new people joining the MW.
Hoping for Texas St to join the MW

UTEP and Louisiana Tech appear to be needing a new home now.
10-21-2021 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
UTEP in the MW - Yes Please.
LA Tech - can go to the Southland or ASUN.
10-21-2021 06:54 PM
UTSA_Alum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
Wish UTSA would have joined. The AAC is lame l, bunch of private school snobs
02-05-2022 01:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.