Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Off-season discussion topic for GS and App fans...
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Off-season discussion topic for GS and App fans...
...or anyone else who might be interested.

Question: Who is the better trio of backs?

Georgia Southern (Matt Breida, LA Rambsy, and Wesley Fields)

or App State (Marcus Cox, Jalen Moore, Terrence Upshaw)

I give a slight edge to us because Fields is better than Upshaw is, but if you were talking about the top two I would give the edge to App.

I'll say this for App, though. I really like Moore. Great speed for a 5'11" 200 pound frame. He's a guy that could be in All-American Honorable mention territory some time before the end of his career.

Of course, on our side Fields is s true freshman so it remains to be seen how close he is to his ceiling.
07-22-2016 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: Off-season discussion topic for GS and App fans...
(07-22-2016 11:16 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  ...or anyone else who might be interested.

I give a slight edge to us because Fields is better than Upshaw is, but if you were talking about the top two I would give the edge to App.

I'll say this for App, though. I really like Moore. Great speed for a 5'11" 200 pound frame. He's a guy that could be in All-American Honorable mention territory some time before the end of his career.

Of course, on our side Fields is s true freshman so it remains to be seen how close he is to his ceiling.
You need to include Kevin Ellison and Favian Upshaw in that RB stable. There's a Q instead of an R on the roster list and those two take direct snaps, but they're RBs for all intents and purposes.

We're comparing a balanced offense to one that exclusively runs, which is tough. We might be able to better compare these players this season if y'all are right and your new coach intends to actually throw the ball a little bit.

As of today I think Cox is the best of the 6. I'd put the Brieda Ramsby tandem at a close 2/3. Those two are explosive, but you just can't beat the patience, instinct, and consistency of Marcus Cox.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 11:25 AM by DrGonzo.)
07-22-2016 11:25 AM
Peachie Offline
Water Engineer

(07-22-2016 11:16 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  ...or anyone else who might be interested.

You left two teams off your signature line. GS is 7-4 against Middle Tennessee and 0-1 against Col State.
07-22-2016 11:44 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I think GS's backs are better for their system and vice versa, although Upshaw would work well in GS's system and Fields in App's. I'd enjoy Ellison as our RB (at least on the field).

If Cox can control his fumbles I still think he's the best all around back of the six.
07-22-2016 12:07 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

I think, in terms of overall talent, your splitting hairs between which team has the best backs, like Dr.Gonzo said, tough to get an accurate picture because of the different offenses, but having watched a lot of both teams, the eye test tells me that they are pretty much on the same level. As far as Jalen Moore, that kid has shown flashes of talent you don't normally see at the G5 level, if he continues to work hard, keeps out of trouble, and continues to improve, he has a chance to be one of the best who has played for App.
07-22-2016 12:11 PM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

I expect both teams feel pretty good about how their backs fit into their offenses. Love Breida's speed and the way he hits a crease and love Cox's toughness and overall athletic ability. Can't wait to see Moore and Fields as they mature and get more reps.
07-22-2016 12:58 PM
Advertisement

PhillyApp1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: APP STATE
They all scare me and are exciting depending on who you cheer for.
Thank God for App defense and coach Woody !!
07-22-2016 01:08 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
I think Fields will end up being better than Brieda or Ramsby. He won't have the top end speed of Breida, but he just has such good balance, fights off tackles, and has great hands in the pass game (what little bit we've seen). I'm not sure that he had many negative plays either.

In terms of offensive production, it's hard for me to not tip my hat to us for the top RB though. And I'm not talking about raw numbers either. Breida has been #1/#2 in YPP since he became a starter (and he's at 8.3 to Cox's 5.7 with over 100 less attempts). He's a beast at generating explosive plays.

Looking at the top 2, it's probably fair to say that App gets the nod. Ramsby has turned into a great back, but he's more the guy we go to when we need some yards. Unfortunately last year he got saddled with all those Wildcat plays that didn't really accomplish anything as well.

And looking at Gonzo's comment above, with all the stretch plays App runs, he has to be patient. On an outside zone run like that you go outside and wait for the hole to be there as the line blocks down the LoS. Breida has been primarily earning his yards in inside zone, and running between the tackles means you hit the hole hard and fast...there is no time to be patient. He's been good at bouncing outside when needed though. He's excelled running outside too, but we haven't particularly run a significant amount of outside zone to show comparisons to App's running game.
07-22-2016 01:29 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Marcus Cox is the best RB In the league. Breida is amazingly good, but is built for taking the ball wide, and doesn't really go up the middle much. Cox can do both

That being said, I prefer Fields and Ramsby to Moore and Upshaw.
07-22-2016 01:51 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2016 01:51 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Marcus Cox is the best RB In the league. Breida is amazingly good, but is built for taking the ball wide, and doesn't really go up the middle much. Cox can do both

That being said, I prefer Fields and Ramsby to Moore and Upshaw.

Won't disagree with that. Matt Breida is the G5 version of De'Anthony Thomas, but he's not a guy we're going to on a big 3rd and 1.
07-22-2016 02:07 PM
SLewis Offline
Bench Warmer

I think both are pretty equal.

Georgia Southern's backs seem to have more explosiveness, while App's have more regular consistency. That is all likely a product of each team's system though.

My favorite to watch has to be Terrence Upshaw. The guy just runs hard and looks ready to run over anyone who gets in his way.
07-22-2016 02:07 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
I would LOVE to see Breida in the zone-blocking scheme App runs. He wouldn't need to shed tacklers and simply be able to juke and head home. Dude's the fastest player I've seen App play against.
07-22-2016 02:09 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
While I've never seen Breida as a power back, he has surprised me a few times with some of the tackles he's broken during his career.

The 3 highlights starting at 1:40 are great examples of that.

Also the ankle breaking at :20 is savage.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 02:15 PM by TheEagleWay.)
07-22-2016 02:12 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

(07-22-2016 02:12 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  While I've never seen Breida as a power back, he has surprised me a few times with some of the tackles he's broken during his career.

I was able to enjoy the entire highlight since there wasn't a single one against the Apps.
07-22-2016 02:18 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-22-2016 02:18 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  
(07-22-2016 02:12 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  While I've never seen Breida as a power back, he has surprised me a few times with some of the tackles he's broken during his career.

I was able to enjoy the entire highlight since there wasn't a single one against the Apps.

There's a pretty good one I can find for you if you're interested.
07-22-2016 02:20 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

He is slippery and I think this is more of a matter of physics than most take into account. His x (speed) is much faster than most, thus the ratio of speed/size is larger than that of most thus giving him more power than players typically have at his size. Combine that with the fact that he gets onto people sooner than they expect and then they take less energy to run through, thus it should be expected that he is capable of breaking tackles.
07-22-2016 02:21 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2016 02:20 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(07-22-2016 02:18 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  

There's a pretty good one I can find for you if you're interested.

If it's the one etched into my memory i'd rather not see it.
07-22-2016 02:21 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
If you know of highlights of some of the backs mentioned in this thread, go ahead and post it.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 02:29 PM by TheEagleWay.)
07-22-2016 02:24 PM
moonshine Offline
Special Teams

After seeing Fields, I'd say he has the highest ceiling of all the backs listed. We all know Brieda is "gone". Cox has great vision and balance. Upshaw and Ramsby are down hill battering rams. Moore is an all around back with decent speed, power and balance. It will be fun to watch JM and Fields develop over the next few years. Here's hoping all the backs have an injury free season.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 03:00 PM by moonshine.)
07-22-2016 02:59 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2016 02:18 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  I was able to enjoy the entire highlight since there wasn't a single one against the Apps.

App 2015 and West Virginia are about the only games in the last two years where the opponent defense did not give up a big play to Breida.

Won't count Georgia State last year because he got hurt, and 'cuz well I said so.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 03:56 PM by EigenEagle.)
07-22-2016 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.