Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

What Big 12 Expansion Really Means to the University of Memphis
Bookmark and Share
FreshTiger14 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
What Big 12 Expansion Really Means to the University of Memphis
Quote:Ever since the Big 12 reversed course on expansion earlier this week, I've pondered what expansion could mean to my hometown and my alma mater. Sure, the potential athletic department impacts are nothing to blink your eye at, but the University and city would be the biggest beneficiaries of such a move. I'll let University officials do the talking about athletic excellence and the like, but what really stands out to me is that the University of Memphis is 100% committed to getting into a Power 5 conference, not because the athletic advantages, but the academic advantages that Power 5 affiliation brings with it.

http://bluffcitytigers.sportsblog.com/po...mphis.html
07-21-2016 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kabluey Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: What Big 12 Expansion Really Means to the University of Memphis
The academic advantages could be transformative.
07-21-2016 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JhanJo Offline
1st String

Certainly it will be the biggest thing to ever happen to the university athletically and academically. What about the city of Memphis? Will this be bigger than landing an NBA team?
07-21-2016 09:12 PM
Advertisement

eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(07-21-2016 09:12 PM)JhanJo Wrote:  Certainly it will be the biggest thing to ever happen to the university athletically and academically. What about the city of Memphis? Will this be bigger than landing an NBA team?

Domestically? BXII imho The NBA has global appeal and I think Memphis has reaped the benefits of that exposure. But I think the benefits of having Memphis in the BXII would have more far reaching social and economic benefits. The perfect storm? Having both rocking the city of Memphis side by side! 03-cloud9
07-21-2016 09:40 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-21-2016 09:12 PM)JhanJo Wrote:  Certainly it will be the biggest thing to ever happen to the university athletically and academically. What about the city of Memphis? Will this be bigger than landing an NBA team?

good question

I actually think so

If it were the NFL v NBA, then not a chance
07-21-2016 10:13 PM
Advertisement

ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-21-2016 10:13 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  

good question

I actually think so

If it were the NFL v NBA, then not a chance

This would - without question - be bigger than the Grizzlies. Football - especially college football - is THE sport in the South and by a large, large, large margin. There's a reason the NBA didn't seek out Memphis until this century. I like the NBA and I like the Grizz, but if we get into the Big12 this is much, much bigger. It impacts not only us, but also all the UT fans, Ole Myth fans and Hog fans in the Mid-South. Combined, that is far, far larger than the Grizz fans.

When the Grizz came to town, there was a quiet enthusiasm, almost a disbelief like 'are they really going to come to Memphis?'. On the other hand, if we get into the Big12 it is 'LOOK THE HE!! out, here we come'.

I've always said that Cincy was the 'safe choice'. A very solid school good at pretty much everything with little downside. We are a 'growth stock' and our potential is freaking HUGE. If Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and/or Texas come to the Liberty Bowl for a CONFERENCE game, you can bet at LEAST 55k for every one of those CONFERENCE games.

If we get in and do things right, Ole Myth, Arksansas and UT will be negatively impacted, no doubt about it.
07-21-2016 11:06 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

As much as the Grizz have done for our identity, prestige, and all the immense philanthropy it has rightfully been honored for globally, the franchise has limited number of employees and limited number of affected youth and young adults (even with Grizz foundation).

Enhancing the revenue for a university affects tens of thousands of students and employees. It would take Ubiquity relocating here or a couple of the players to start companies based here to begin to match that effect, given the numerous schools and institutes a university -- any university -- is home to. The 20-30 mill flows through and ripples, is built upon by other donors, and hopefully leads to research, intellectual property, and startup creation that create passive income for the university and jobs for the community.

Pro franchises don't yet perceive their players as future startup companies beyond mere brands (although they should).
07-22-2016 10:30 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2016 10:30 AM)kabluey Wrote:  As much as the Grizz have done for our identity, prestige, and all the immense philanthropy it has rightfully been honored for globally, the franchise has limited number of employees and limited number of affected youth and young adults (even with Grizz foundation).

Enhancing the revenue for a university affects tens of thousands of students and employees. It would take Ubiquity relocating here or a couple of the players to start companies based here to begin to match that effect, given the numerous schools and institutes a university -- any university -- is home to. The 20-30 mill flows through and ripples, is built upon by other donors, and hopefully leads to research, intellectual property, and startup creation that create passive income for the university and jobs for the community.

Pro franchises don't yet perceive their players as future startup companies beyond mere brands (although they should).

Great points
07-23-2016 02:23 PM
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers

I think the overall amount of cash for all entities involved generated by us being P5 would be higher than the Grizz. That's not even a knock on the Grizz/NBA that's just statement on how huge being a P5 would be.
07-23-2016 02:37 PM
Advertisement

SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..

I'd have to say yes, absolutely.

Just to begin with I can imagine the Big XII bringing 100k more people to Memphis for U of M home games across sports. Almost all of them will have to travel out-of-state, which mean than the city itself would see eight possibly nine figure increases in tourism money every year. The Houston booster who is trying to get UH into the Big XII isn't just doing it out of the kindness of his heart - he made his money in the restaurant business and he is looking at bringing huge numbers of people to Houston for entertainment who will need a number of places to eat; i.e. he's financially motivated. Those numbers don't even count the conference tourneys and CG's. God help Memphis if they ever got a Big XII championship game - they could pay for a brand-new 80,000 seat stadium with one game.

The University of Memphis will automatically be legitimate throughout the entire states of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, and west Virginia. Every HS kid in these states will then know the school because it will have free advertising for it every single day through sports coverage - It's completely different than playing SMU, Houston, and Tulsa. That means every kid in Texas and the others is now looking at the city of Memphis in the future as a possible home because it has a natural link to where they grew up.
07-24-2016 01:54 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2016 01:54 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  

I'd have to say yes, absolutely.

Just to begin with I can imagine the Big XII bringing 100k more people to Memphis for U of M home games across sports. Almost all of them will have to travel out-of-state, which mean than the city itself would see eight possibly nine figure increases in tourism money every year. The Houston booster who is trying to get UH into the Big XII isn't just doing it out of the kindness of his heart - he made his money in the restaurant business and he is looking at bringing huge numbers of people to Houston for entertainment who will need a number of places to eat; i.e. he's financially motivated. Those numbers don't even count the conference tourneys and CG's. God help Memphis if they ever got a Big XII championship game - they could pay for a brand-new 80,000 seat stadium with one game.

The University of Memphis will automatically be legitimate throughout the entire states of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, and west Virginia. Every HS kid in these states will then know the school because it will have free advertising for it every single day through sports coverage - It's completely different than playing SMU, Houston, and Tulsa. That means every kid in Texas and the others is now looking at the city of Memphis and a job at FedEx in the future as a possible home because it has a natural link to where they grew up.

added to your insight, just in case people don't understand
07-24-2016 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.