Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Utah adding men lax?
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Utah adding men lax?
This week, there were reports that Utah would add men's lacrosse. This was subsequently affirmed by Utah sources, and then Utah athletics denied that men's lacrosse was being added at this time. Maybe in 2019 or 2020. But Utah did hire a lax coach that wouldn't go there if it was to remain a club team.

http://www.collegecrosse.com

Have no idea where Utah would play, as there is not a western men's lax conference. Could be there are waiting on other PAC12 schools?

Thought Utah would go for hockey first, as they have facilities and a potential conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 02:21 PM by NoDak.)
07-15-2016 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Utah adding men lax?
Probably play in the conference that Air Force plays in.
07-15-2016 02:04 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-15-2016 02:04 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Probably play in the conference that Air Force plays in.

Air Force plays in the Southern Conference, but it probably wants in with regional schools. Denver isn't leaving the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 02:15 PM by NoDak.)
07-15-2016 02:14 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
B1G affiliate, you just wait.

The sport is due to emerge on the western D1 front, but I don't think there's a PAC bloc set to come up together anytime soon. And, I think Utah's easier on the academic eyes than ASU.

Were they to go to Utah, I wonder if it would make AFA easier to take, too.
07-15-2016 02:39 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(07-15-2016 02:39 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  B1G affiliate, you just wait.

The sport is due to emerge on the western D1 front, but I don't think there's a PAC bloc set to come up together anytime soon. And, I think Utah's easier on the academic eyes than ASU.

There isn't a big difference between Utah academics and ASU academics.

And Phoenix is home to hundreds of thousands of B1G grads and their families.
07-15-2016 02:48 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
WAC LAX?
07-15-2016 02:55 PM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
the message board scuttle is that lacrosse is coming. I don't know if it will be additional PAC schools stepping up or some other Western schools, but I can't see Utah making this step without some company.

Utah and Denver have a lot of history going back to the RMAC and continually face one another in gymnastics and skiing. I would see Utah pairing with Denver before AFA.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 09:03 PM by jrj84105.)
07-15-2016 09:01 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-15-2016 09:01 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  the message board scuttle is that lacrosse is coming. I don't know if it will be additional PAC schools stepping up or some other Western schools, but I can't see Utah making this step without some company.

Utah and Denver have a lot of history going back to the RMAC and continually face one another in gymnastics and skiing. I would see Utah pairing with Denver before AFA.

USC had made noise about men's lax a couple years ago, but nothing came of it. IMHO, if Utah can get USC, Stanford, and Oregon on the men's lax express, Denver would consider it. But not with Utah and AFA and misc midwestern schools.
07-15-2016 09:26 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(07-15-2016 09:26 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(07-15-2016 09:01 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  the message board scuttle is that lacrosse is coming. I don't know if it will be additional PAC schools stepping up or some other Western schools, but I can't see Utah making this step without some company.

USC had made noise about men's lax a couple years ago, but nothing came of it. IMHO, if Utah can get USC, Stanford, and Oregon on the men's lax express, Denver would consider it. But not with Utah and AFA and misc midwestern schools.

Denver is already in Big East lacrosse.
07-15-2016 09:48 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-15-2016 09:48 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  
(07-15-2016 09:26 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Denver is already in Big East lacrosse.

That was my point. Denver is not going to leave a very good situation for a mediocre Utah one.
07-15-2016 10:13 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

RMAC have both men's and women's LAX. We know RMAC used to be a major conference at D1 when Colorado, Colorado State, Utah, Denver and others were there.

Men's:
Adams State
CSU-Pueblo
Westminster, Utah (still transitioning)
Rockhurst (Mo.) affiliate
Colorado Mesa

Women's:
Lindenwood, Mo. affiliate
Regis
Colorado Mesa
Fort Lewis
CSU-Pueblo
Westminster
Rockhurst affiliate
Adams State
Oklahoma Baptist affiliate still transitioning from NAIA

If any of them do move up to D1? You could start getting a western LAX conference going.
07-16-2016 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
If Oregon gets it, that's just another sport for Nike to showcase new equipment and uniforms.

It would be great to have the champions of Big Ten lacrosse and a PAC lacrosse league square off in the Rose Bowl!
07-16-2016 11:09 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(07-15-2016 02:48 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(07-15-2016 02:39 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  B1G affiliate, you just wait.

There isn't a big difference between Utah academics and ASU academics.
This seems to be true.

AWRU 2015: ASU & Utah, tied 93rd in the world (47th US)
CWUR 2016: Utah 66th (41st US), ASU 103rd (56th US)

Quote: And Phoenix is home to hundreds of thousands of B1G grads and their families.
Yeah, I've got several aunts and uncles among them.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2016 11:47 PM by BruceMcF.)
07-16-2016 11:45 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Utah adding men lax?
Utah may very well be able to put together an independent schedule. At the moment, the following conferences have odd numbers of members (per the NCAA Sports Sponsorship page):

America East - 7
ACC - 5
Ivy - 7
MAAC - 7
NEC - 7
Patriot - 9

Even if only 3 other Pac 12 schools came along, the Pac 12 could arrange to be a division in another conference for a while - 2 Pac 12 schools play Field Hockey in America East.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-18-2016 07:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Utah appears to be recruiting DI talent, despite their official denials that they will sponsor lax. Their club coach says DI is imminent.

http://www.maxlaxoc.com/brian-holman-uta...uiting-d1/
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2017 07:20 PM by NoDak.)
02-25-2017 06:53 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
women's too?
02-25-2017 07:15 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(02-25-2017 07:15 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  women's too?

That will be easy as the PAC12 will soon sponsor women's when Ariz St gets their program started. Utah men 's would be the western most men's team, and there is no obvious conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2017 07:32 PM by NoDak.)
02-25-2017 07:19 PM
p23570
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(07-16-2016 10:00 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

RMAC have both men's and women's LAX. We know RMAC used to be a major conference at D1 when Colorado, Colorado State, Utah, Denver and others were there.

Men's:
Adams State
CSU-Pueblo
Westminster, Utah (still transitioning)
Rockhurst (Mo.) affiliate
Colorado Mesa

Women's:
Lindenwood, Mo. affiliate
Regis
Colorado Mesa
Fort Lewis
CSU-Pueblo
Westminster
Rockhurst affiliate
Adams State
Oklahoma Baptist affiliate still transitioning from NAIA

If any of them do move up to D1? You could start getting a western LAX conference going.

Man you know your conferences.

I"m curious to see how it works out at 16 members coming up soon in the RMAC.
02-25-2017 10:06 PM
Quote this message in a reply
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I would think the B1G would be the most likely, although Fox may shoehorn the Utes into the Big East.
02-25-2017 11:20 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(02-25-2017 11:20 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  I would think the B1G would be the most likely, although Fox may shoehorn the Utes into the Big East.

If the B1G wouldn't take Ariz St for hockey, they wouldn't take Utah for lax. Utah would probably be an independent for at least one season and then maybe a Air Force's travel partner in the Southern. Utah seems to be betting that college men's lax will grow out west, like it has done in HS.
02-25-2017 11:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.