Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More politics! Any third-party-leaners on here?
Bookmark and Share
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
More politics! Any third-party-leaners on here?
Just curious after seeing some of the political views that have been expressed on the Civil Discourse thread. There are a lot of people dissatisfied with the two who appear to be our major candidates. I know this is finally the year that the odds are in favor of my wasting my vote for president for the first time in my life (i.e. voting for a third-party candidate, for whatever "statement" that can make). Surely others feel the same way and don't mind sharing...or maybe even are involved in third parties in your area.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 10:40 AM by Pounce FTW.)
07-13-2016 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: More politics! Any third-party-leaners on here?
This is to anyone, not anyone specific poster. If you feel that you may be "wasting your vote" let me give you another angle. MOST states are pretty much decided and there are maybe only a dozen actually in play that will decide the election. If you are in one of those swing states or states that maybe in play this cycle this doesn't help you decide. BUT for everyone else....
If your state is going to vote one way no matter what and your vote will have no effect on the outcome and you really think there is a need for something to change then maybe voting for a 3rd party is a good alternative. Hear me out. While the 3rd party may not get any electoral college delegates it may get enough votes in the national election to receive federal funding. I think the number is 15% of the popular vote is needed to receive funding. The last poll I saw that included the 3rd Party Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, had him at around 12%. If enough people fed up with the 2 party system vote for a single 3rd party it would start to break up the monopoly in D.C. I don't agree with all of this parties views, but enough to give them consideration. Just a thought if you were
07-14-2016 08:20 AM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
(07-14-2016 08:20 AM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  This is to anyone, not anyone specific poster. If you feel that you may be "wasting your vote" let me give you another angle. MOST states are pretty much decided and there are maybe only a dozen actually in play that will decide the election. If you are in one of those swing states or states that maybe in play this cycle this doesn't help you decide. BUT for everyone else....
If your state is going to vote one way no matter what and your vote will have no effect on the outcome and you really think there is a need for something to change then maybe voting for a 3rd party is a good alternative. Hear me out. While the 3rd party may not get any electoral college delegates it may get enough votes in the national election to receive federal funding. I think the number is 15% of the popular vote is needed to receive funding. The last poll I saw that included the 3rd Party Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, had him at around 12%. If enough people fed up with the 2 party system vote for a single 3rd party it would start to break up the monopoly in D.C. I don't agree with all of this parties views, but enough to give them consideration. Just a thought if you were

The 15% is only what Johnson has to be getting in the polls to get on the presidential debate stage. When it comes to that actual vote and federal funding, that is only 5% nationally. If he can get at least 5% it could potentially lead to some actual change by giving us a valid and recognized 3rd party.

Obviously, I'm a strong supporter of the LP as they align much more closely with my beliefs than either of the big two. I will definitely be voting for Johnson here in KS. I did last time too. KS is typically a red state but there is some belief it may be blue this year as Trump really did not go over well with KS voters. Not that Clinton did either as they both lost the caucuses here.

I'm glad to see the media giving a little more attention to Johnson and the LP though as I think the LP really does represent a lot of Americans, they just don't realize it yet. As I said to a progressive friend today, what's not to like about personal responsibility and keeping gov't out of our business? What's wrong with allowing people to live the lives they choose as long as they're not interfering with the rights of others? What's wrong with a smaller gov't that lives within its means? That's basically what the LP represents. There are some disagreements on some things but you have that with any group of people.

But I do understand the point of swing states and if you feel really strongly about a certain candidate being worse than the other I get voting for the other. I'll continue to vote my conscience win or lose. But if Johnson does win one state (NM?), it could shake up quite a bit.
07-14-2016 10:36 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
I will be voting for Gary Johnson.

I refuse to choose between a hardened criminal / fugitive from the law and a mentally challenged megalomaniac who preys on people's fears and ignorance.

Gary Johnson was not my first choice for president. I wanted Rand Paul or Austin Petersen so bad. They are the closest representation of my views as I can find these days. For those of you who don't know, Austin Peterson was the guy who finished second in the Libertarian nomination.

I voted for Rand Paul in the primary.

I'm often told by both republicans and democrats that I'm voting for Trump or Clinton (depending if I'm talking to a Democrat or Republican, respectively) if I vote for Johnson. They say I'm throwing my vote away. This is always my simple response to shut them up completely: "I consider it a waste of my vote to choose to vote for either a murderer or a complete moron just because I think one will screw our country slightly less than the other."
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2016 01:03 PM by CoastalAlum2011.)
07-14-2016 12:39 PM
Advertisement

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
I'm a big fan of Rand and had hoped he'd get more support. I like Peterson, but I do think if the LP wants to make its mark they needed a guy like Johnson. Someone with some real political experience that could help with getting more recognition. I hope that Peterson stays active and grows as a potential candidate in the future. He has a strong social media presence and some good ideas. I think he needs to work on his delivery a bit, but he could definitely have a future.
07-14-2016 12:50 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
if the race is close enough between the two imbeciles, and if Johnson wins 1 state, it could force the vote to go to congress. Then from there, since it is republican owned, the republicans could decide to join together and vote in Johnson as our next President instead of Trump.
07-15-2016 09:52 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(07-15-2016 09:52 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  if the race is close enough between the two imbeciles, and if Johnson wins 1 state, it could force the vote to go to congress. Then from there, since it is republican owned, the republicans could decide to join together and vote in Johnson as our next President instead of Trump.

That would never happen. For so many reasons.
07-17-2016 05:05 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(07-17-2016 05:05 PM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  
(07-15-2016 09:52 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  if the race is close enough between the two imbeciles, and if Johnson wins 1 state, it could force the vote to go to congress. Then from there, since it is republican owned, the republicans could decide to join together and vote in Johnson as our next President instead of Trump.

That would never happen. For so many reasons.

Hey, that never stopped us on this board! (For reference: Every single thread about SBC/CUSA realignment.) Sometimes it's fun to just think about the wildest possibilities.

I appreciate everyone who's chimed in on this thread...!
07-18-2016 06:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.