Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Civil Discourse
Bookmark and Share
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
OT - Civil Discourse
The past few days have brought our country an all-too familiar place. At the same time the circumstances in Dallas were definitely extenuating. In saying that, there is a belief that black people are too uptight and over exaggerate how a percentage of the white community sees and treats them. As a Christian, I mourn the losses of life that have saddened a vast majority of our country. But, there needs to be a 'Come to Jesus' meeting about some truths that some white people dismiss as hyperbole by the black community.

There has not been an OT in reference to more publicized shootings by police officers against blacks. As a father of a young man in basic training, I'm sick to my stomach because I can't have this conversation with my son...again. I have explained to him many times about the importance of compliance to police in any circumstance. Even if he's standing in a line at Mickey Ds.

But, what could I tell him for instance, if we were watching the news together and a man was complying with what an officer said but still got killed? What answer could I give? and then, a different man is killed because the only recourse he thought he had was to kill police officers that had absolutely nothing to do with said officers in a completely different state?

Something is wrong in this country and it is related to race. I'm not saying it's to the point of a race war, like former congressman Walsh, but there are some hard questions and answers that need to begin.

God bless all those individuals and the families that have been effected by any and all senseless acts of violence. #BeMoreChristLike
07-08-2016 11:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: OT - Civil Discourse
(07-08-2016 11:28 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  The past few days have brought our country an all-too familiar place. At the same time the circumstances in Dallas were definitely extenuating. In saying that, there is a belief that black people are too uptight and over exaggerate how a percentage of the white community sees and treats them. As a Christian, I mourn the losses of life that have saddened a vast majority of our country. But, there needs to be a 'Come to Jesus' meeting about some truths that some white people dismiss as hyperbole by the black community.

There has not been an OT in reference to more publicized shootings by police officers against blacks. As a father of a young man in basic training, I'm sick to my stomach because I can't have this conversation with my son...again. I have explained to him many times about the importance of compliance to police in any circumstance. Even if he's standing in a line at Mickey Ds.

But, what could I tell him for instance, if we were watching the news together and a man was complying with what an officer said but still got killed? What answer could I give? and then, a different man is killed because the only recourse he thought he had was to kill police officers that had absolutely nothing to do with said officers in a completely different state?

Something is wrong in this country and it is related to race. I'm not saying it's to the point of a race war, like former congressman Walsh, but there are some hard questions and answers that need to begin.

God bless all those individuals and the families that have been effected by any and all senseless acts of violence. #BeMoreChristLike

It only takes a quick google search to discover that cops kill more Whites and Hispanics than Blacks, but Black killings generate more media coverage.

Race relations are as bad as they've been in my lifetime and at age 7 I witnessed a cross burning at the home of a Black family that moved down the street. The problems in our society have more to do with socioeconomic status than race.

A dependent class was created in the 1960's and we now have several generations who know nothing but dependence and entitlement. Politicians and "community leaders" use the misery and dependence they create to blame their opposition and create even more dependence.

Entertainment, News, Education, and Government are dominated by an Elitist Leftist mindset who live in gated communities. More than 70% of working people live paycheck to paycheck and in many cases have lower standards of living than the dependent classes. Racism, Capitalism, Sexism, and other "isms" that represent "traditional American Culture" are targeted as evil.

Never do we hold the culture of dependence responsible for the crime, addiction, sexual violence, and out-of-control birthrate that creates most of the problems in the country. Black people have been disproportionately victimized by the Leftist Elite and continue to follow, vote for, and support the very people responsible for their misery.

Uniting people in America is a lost cause. The masses are ignorant, government is corrupt and too powerful to challenge.

I work every day helping poor people cope with the emotional turmoil and emptiness in their lives. As children, their parent seeks a behavioral health diagnosis so they qualify for an SSI Disability check. They are assigned to Special Ed classes and many are in trouble with Juvenile Justice early and often while the families are constant clients of Child Protective Services. The males spend their lives in and out of jail, prison, parole, and probation and the females have babies and participate in mandated Social Service programs. They are experts at "working the system" and they receive multiple cash payments from government as well as hundreds or over a thousand monthly in food stamps. They live in subsidized housing with subsidized utilities and have the latest smart phone subsidized. They have access to health care through medicaid and medicare. These people are slaves whose only job is to vote every two years for the people who transfer the wealth of earners to support them.

All of the politicians and bureaucrats in power live comfortable lives and interact socially at their diner parties and fundraisers while the 70% paycheck to paycheck people wonder what the hell is happening to the country they grew up hearing about that rewarded hard work and playing by the rules.

Political Correctness and Multicultural Gobbledygook "issues" that make everyone victims of straight white males and Christians are the most destructive forces in America. The self-hating White Leftists who are the Power Elite are responsible for transforming the greatest economy and culture on the planet into a dysfunctional mess of entitlement and ignorance. Indeed, God help us all.
07-09-2016 09:58 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-08-2016 11:28 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  The past few days have brought our country an all-too familiar place. At the same time the circumstances in Dallas were definitely extenuating. In saying that, there is a belief that black people are too uptight and over exaggerate how a percentage of the white community sees and treats them. As a Christian, I mourn the losses of life that have saddened a vast majority of our country. But, there needs to be a 'Come to Jesus' meeting about some truths that some white people dismiss as hyperbole by the black community.

In the last couple of days....

I've been told that I cannot know what police go through every day so I have no right to question whether militarization of police is a good strategy for American policing. I can't know...so shut up.

I've been told that I don't know what its like to be black so I have no right to give my opinion on the situation of African-Americans. I can't know...so shut up.

Apparently I'm not a party to this conflict. So I guess I'm free to think for myself.

Many white people choose to ignore that the justice system is indeed systematically biased against African-Americans.

Many black people choose to ignore that the officer in Ferguson, Missouri did nothing wrong.

Because they all only acknowledge what the talking points prepared for them tell them to say. They parrot what they are told to parrot. They cannot be bothered with any analysis or critical thought.
07-09-2016 10:01 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-09-2016 09:58 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  

It only takes a quick google search to discover that cops kill more Whites and Hispanics than Blacks, but Black killings generate more media coverage.

Race relations are as bad as they've been in my lifetime and at age 7 I witnessed a cross burning at the home of a Black family that moved down the street. The problems in our society have more to do with socioeconomic status than race.

A dependent class was created in the 1960's and we now have several generations who know nothing but dependence and entitlement. Politicians and "community leaders" use the misery and dependence they create to blame their opposition and create even more dependence.

Entertainment, News, Education, and Government are dominated by an Elitist Leftist mindset who live in gated communities. More than 70% of working people live paycheck to paycheck and in many cases have lower standards of living than the dependent classes. Racism, Capitalism, Sexism, and other "isms" that represent "traditional American Culture" are targeted as evil.

Never do we hold the culture of dependence responsible for the crime, addiction, sexual violence, and out-of-control birthrate that creates most of the problems in the country. Black people have been disproportionately victimized by the Leftist Elite and continue to follow, vote for, and support the very people responsible for their misery.

Uniting people in America is a lost cause. The masses are ignorant, government is corrupt and too powerful to challenge.

I work every day helping poor people cope with the emotional turmoil and emptiness in their lives. As children, their parent seeks a behavioral health diagnosis so they qualify for an SSI Disability check. They are assigned to Special Ed classes and many are in trouble with Juvenile Justice early and often while the families are constant clients of Child Protective Services. The males spend their lives in and out of jail, prison, parole, and probation and the females have babies and participate in mandated Social Service programs. They are experts at "working the system" and they receive multiple cash payments from government as well as hundreds or over a thousand monthly in food stamps. They live in subsidized housing with subsidized utilities and have the latest smart phone subsidized. They have access to health care through medicaid and medicare. These people are slaves whose only job is to vote every two years for the people who transfer the wealth of earners to support them.

All of the politicians and bureaucrats in power live comfortable lives and interact socially at their diner parties and fundraisers while the 70% paycheck to paycheck people wonder what the hell is happening to the country they grew up hearing about that rewarded hard work and playing by the rules.

Political Correctness and Multicultural Gobbledygook "issues" that make everyone victims of straight white males and Christians are the most destructive forces in America. The self-hating White Leftists who are the Power Elite are responsible for transforming the greatest economy and culture on the planet into a dysfunctional mess of entitlement and ignorance. Indeed, God help us all.

Good post. That dependence on the government has also cause the breakdown of the African Amercian Family. 75% of African American children are born out of wedlock, 3X the rate of the 1960's.
07-09-2016 10:21 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

Can't we talk about how males are seen as more dangerous, get harsher sentences for the same crimes, and the systemic sexism that criminalizes maleness?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 10:30 AM by EigenEagle.)
07-09-2016 10:30 AM
gumbobrown Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MTSU
It's a crazy world. That has run out of control it's not a race issue it's a control issue. Blacks and Hispanics are just stage one. Mountain men, bikers, and independent thinking white men are next. It's a slow steady process their working. To get every one in order. We are not supposed to all get along was it not in the first testament when we were all getting along we were divided by language. It okay to disagree or view things differently but we don't have to kill one another.
07-09-2016 11:39 AM
Advertisement

trojanbrutha Offline

(07-09-2016 09:58 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  

It only takes a quick google search to discover that cops kill more Whites and Hispanics than Blacks, but Black killings generate more media coverage. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/

Race relations are as bad as they've been in my lifetime and at age 7 I witnessed a cross burning at the home of a Black family that moved down the street. The problems in our society have more to do with socioeconomic status than race. Was that because of socioeconomics?

A dependent class was created in the 1960's and we now have several generations who know nothing but dependence and entitlement. Politicians and "community leaders" use the misery and dependence they create to blame their opposition and create even more dependence. Not all black leaders bemoan entitlement, bear in mind some of us are educated. It's what comes after college that can be an issue. Being a sixties baby, I never really noticed how different things could be until we moved back to Alabama...but, that's another story for another day.

Entertainment, News, Education, and Government are dominated by an Elitist Leftist mindset who live in gated communities. More than 70% of working people live paycheck to paycheck and in many cases have lower standards of living than the dependent classes. Racism, Capitalism, Sexism, and other "isms" that represent "traditional American Culture" are targeted as evil. Yes. I have lived that way before. I actually would deem those isms as not good, with the exception of capitalism. Who would? Although, capitalism has changed the job growth potential in this country...almighty dollar and all.

http://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolescent-he...rends.html It's not a Democrat vs Republican thing, it's an American thing...

Uniting people in America is a lost cause. The masses are ignorant, government is corrupt and too powerful to challenge. I refuse to lump all people into that category and think that I have all the answers, but I will agree that government has corruption, See: #ALPolitics

I work every day helping poor people cope with the emotional turmoil and emptiness in their lives. As children, their parent seeks a behavioral health diagnosis so they qualify for an SSI Disability check. They are assigned to Special Ed classes and many are in trouble with Juvenile Justice early and often while the families are constant clients of Child Protective Services. The males spend their lives in and out of jail, prison, parole, and probation and the females have babies and participate in mandated Social Service programs. They are experts at "working the system" and they receive multiple cash payments from government as well as hundreds or over a thousand monthly in food stamps. They live in subsidized housing with subsidized utilities and have the latest smart phone subsidized. They have access to health care through medicaid and medicare. These people are slaves whose only job is to vote every two years for the people who transfer the wealth of earners to support them. Some truths, some stereotypes. You can rested assured that if you give people a system, they will indeed try to find a way to buck said system. That's not all black people and if you think the money those folks get actually changes their circumstances or tax bracket, I know you're not serious. The poor don't suddenly become middle class like that here in Alabama...Maybe in GA, though. Here? Poor is poor. Sometimes it's double poor.

All of the politicians and bureaucrats in power live comfortable lives and interact socially at their diner parties and fundraisers while the 70% paycheck to paycheck people wonder what the hell is happening to the country they grew up hearing about that rewarded hard work and playing by the rules. Truth

Political Correctness and Multicultural Gobbledygook "issues" that make everyone victims of straight white males and Christians are the most destructive forces in America. The self-hating White Leftists who are the Power Elite are responsible for transforming the greatest economy and culture on the planet into a dysfunctional mess of entitlement and ignorance. Indeed, God help us all. The only rhetorical question I have, at this time, is who and where do you think these people are? Lawmakers in congress...
07-09-2016 11:42 AM
trojanbrutha Offline

(07-09-2016 10:01 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  

In the last couple of days....

I've been told that I cannot know what police go through every day so I have no right to question whether militarization of police is a good strategy for American policing. I can't know...so shut up.

I've been told that I don't know what its like to be black so I have no right to give my opinion on the situation of African-Americans. I can't know...so shut up.

Apparently I'm not a party to this conflict. So I guess I'm free to think for myself.

Many white people choose to ignore that the justice system is indeed systematically biased against African-Americans.

Many black people choose to ignore that the officer in Ferguson, Missouri did nothing wrong.

Because they all only acknowledge what the talking points prepared for them tell them to say. They parrot what they are told to parrot. They cannot be bothered with any analysis or critical thought.

Always remember that your opinion is always valid, even if it's not well received. Some black people are frustrated because of other issues in their reality and are just looking for a little light in some dark places.
07-09-2016 11:47 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

Trojanbrutha,

I appreciate your post and your responses to mine. Shall we concede that "isms" exist?

Equality and civility are values we humans can strive to practice but we will NEVER perfect them. They are simply NOT natural traits. Humans - all of us - are programmed to be selfish and self-centered and that programming influences our motivations and decisions at a subconscious level. Only those who are TRAINED to behave compassionately and charitably have the ABILITY to overcome our selfishness and exercise civility through conscious intervention over subconscious motivation.

What we think of as Western Culture provided for very successful societies. In the US, Faith, Family, Work, and Frugality were the central values of the overwhelming majority including ethnic minorities, immigrants, rich and poor.

Industrialization brought Consumerism which in turn brought the highest standard of living in mankind's history and made the US a world power after widespread destruction WWII visited on the rest of the planet.

Marxist philosophy was already active in influential parts of American culture including Hollywood, Journalism, Academia, and Organized Labor. The Baby Boom generation had the luxury of relative wealth, privilege, and education far beyond preceding generations. They looked at Racism, Sexism, War, and Poverty and rightly asked WTF?! Marxist philosophy was there to blame every American Cultural Institution and begin the process of tearing them down and replacing them with a Centralized State.

Marriage, Family, Work, Frugality, Faith, and Individual Responsibility and Accountability are now concepts which are made fun of by late night talk show hosts and are even scoffed at by POTUS when he identifies those who "cling to their guns and religion" as the problem.

There will always be inequality and unfairness because that is the natural state of human societies. What the US did was to allow the individual to navigate his/her obstacles and achieve.
The only group unprotected and legislatively discriminated against in the US are Heterosexual White Males with no physical disability.

My generation was the first in The South to always attend integrated public schools with integrated staff. I read MLK's Dream speech at 7th grade assembly BEFORE MLK Day existed and the modern NAACP, SPLC are fixated on racial quotas and are violently intolerant of anyone who disagrees with there agenda and are placed on Hate Group lists.
The best thing we could do to stop racialism is remove race from all documentation. No more check boxes in the census, schools, employers, etc.
People are more often victims of violence by their own race, but Whites are more often victimized by Blacks and Latinos than Blacks and Latinos are victims of White violence.

The talking points of the PC Left are just completely false including the notion that increasing minimum wage produces positive results. All it does is increase inflation, eliminate entry level jobs and increase Union pay and tax revenues. Forget $15 an hour, let's make it $1000 an hour. Republicans are idiots too. They talk about unity and civility with opponents who want to destroy their way of life.
Internationally America now apologizes for greatness and reduces military might with suicidal rules of engagement. The Climate Change Cult has extorted Trillions through regulations, taxes, and fines but only European and US idiots abide.

Western Baby Boomers are the equivalent of the Soft Romans, Greeks, and Brits who provided over the decline of their respective great civilizations.

Right now, people know things are F'd up and people will blame something or someone and violence will be done. Those actually responsible will use crisis as a way to acquire even more power and solve nothing. Most of us just have to watch and survive until the system collapses and things get bad enough for people to reason with each other.

I just hope College Football provides some distraction that I enjoy.
07-09-2016 02:11 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
I think I speak for all of America in saying that yes, there's a problem, but it's the fault of those whose beliefs are different from mine, and I don't plan on examining my own values because they're more American than the values of those who disagree with me. I'm all for discourse, but frankly, my mind is already made up.
07-09-2016 03:31 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

Re: RE: OT - Civil Discourse
(07-09-2016 03:31 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  I think I speak for all of America in saying that yes, there's a problem, but it's the fault of those whose beliefs are different from mine, and I don't plan on examining my own values because they're more American than the values of those who disagree with me. I'm all for discourse, but frankly, my mind is already made up.

No you are wrong, therefore is your fault. :D
07-09-2016 05:28 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
OT - Civil Discourse
As someone who loves to argue with the far right for pure sport, you don't want my opinion
07-09-2016 05:46 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Cops kill more whites than blacks. Black officers are more likely to kill black people than white cops. Michael Brown never put his hands up.

#Factsmatter
07-09-2016 05:57 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(07-09-2016 09:58 AM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  It only takes a quick google search to discover that cops kill more Whites and Hispanics than Blacks, but Black killings generate more media coverage.

No, the race relations are much better than they ever were in the past. I don't know how old you are, but if you grew up in the 60's and early 70's, there were assassinations of Black Leaders like Malcom X, Medgar Evers and Martin Luther King. You had militant groups like the Black Panthers and Black Liberation Army, groups that were openly advocating the killing of whites and cops. There were civil rights workers being murdered in Mississippi. There were riots in the cities. There were schools being integrated that were also experiencing riots. I had personal experience with that one.

In today's world you have Black Lives Matter, a non-violent group. What you also have today are smart phones and a few disturbed people with easy access to guns. So when a cop kills a black citizen or a nut decides to shoot and kill multiple people, the whole world gets to see it through the technology of smart phones.
07-09-2016 06:27 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

We live in a society of endless information where everyone has a microphone and facts are optional. If you think LEOs can just kill black men and no one will make sure it was justified or if you think Obama is a secret Muslim or if you think Monsanto has infiltrated every major scientific organization in the world to say GMOs are safe or if you think there's a conspiracy by every employer in America to not pay women as much money you have your own corner of the internet as an echo chamber where you don't have to hear opposing points of view.

The non-internet media at worst abet it and at best do nothing to help because it's their job to get viewers and listeners and readers and not report objectively. Even our universities are now aiding and abetting it by caring about superficial diversity of appearance and not actual intellectual diversity while trying to shut out any "hate speech" and allowing ridiculous ****-shows like what happened at Mizzou to set actual administrative
policy.

There's also this pathology that whenever there is not some kind of equal outcome in society that there has to be systematic bias or some kind of -ism at work. Well, if that's the case our criminal justice system is misandrist and Oriental Asians and Ashkenazi Jews have privilege in every corner of society. It's fine to have a conversation about when LEOs can use deadly force but spare me the crap that that it's open season on young black men and that officers basically have free reign to kill them. And FFS stop using Michael Brown as a rallying cry when Eric Holder went over that one with a microscope and found Darren Wilson was justified.
07-09-2016 10:05 PM
CC Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga. Southern
LOL

The thread entitled 'Civil Discourse' needed just one reply before we advanced to categorically blaming specific subsets of people for all of our problems.
07-10-2016 12:34 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
We've got a running bet going on the mod board about how long this lasts before Eagle Way pulls the plug.
07-10-2016 01:08 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(07-10-2016 12:34 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  LOL

The thread entitled 'Civil Discourse' needed just one reply before we advanced to categorically blaming specific subsets of people for all of our problems.

Civil? Check. Discourse? Check. I'd say this thread has held on pretty well considering the possibilities! My only regret is that I haven't offered anything of substance to it...hard to "wade in" when there are such strong emotions connected to this one...
07-10-2016 07:11 PM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Re: RE: OT - Civil Discourse
(07-09-2016 05:57 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  Cops kill more whites than blacks. Black officers are more likely to kill black people than white cops. Michael Brown never put his hands up.

#Factsmatter
[Image: chartoftheday_5211_us_citizens_killed_by...2016_n.jpg]

Non Hispanic whites make up 63% of the US population, Blacks 12%.

Roughly 47% of police killings were white, 24% black.

#MathAlsoMatters
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 09:35 PM by StanMolsonMan.)
07-10-2016 09:30 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

#malelivesmatter
07-10-2016 09:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.