Senseless spending race
06-13-2016 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
RE: Senseless spending race
one thing the nameless article did not point out is that at many of the "big schools" students pay do pay fees to support the athletic department, but the students then must buy tickets to attend games.
Toledo is a one time charge where students at Michigan State must pay twice.......

also, he/she/or it did talk about the number of noncollege people subsidizing big state u. going to the local big box school and buying the latest $10 t-shirt and they have never even stepped foot on campus.........
06-13-2016 11:19 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
At least students at UT pay the least of any school in the MAC.
06-13-2016 12:45 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(06-13-2016 11:19 AM)Terry Wrote:  one thing the nameless article did not point out is that at many of the "big schools" students pay do pay fees to support the athletic department, but the students then must buy tickets to attend games.
Toledo is a one time charge where students at Michigan State must pay twice.......

also, he/she/or it did talk about the number of noncollege people subsidizing big state u. going to the local big box school and buying the latest $10 t-shirt and they have never even stepped foot on campus.........

There in lies the problem... Wannabe fans from Van Wert to Youngstown buy the hats, trinkets, and other o$u items to make themselves part of the club, still having no remote affiliation with the university. My stepson did his undergrad work at osu years ago, subsequently working a lot of hours at the brand new state of the art student union. Several sources told him, a good portion of the 100 million dollar price tag was subsidized by merchandising the o$u product world wide. He also had to pay for his student tickets, which were not cheap.
06-13-2016 12:52 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Well, the author acknowledges that student fees helping to fund athletics is not uncommon nation-wide, then he singles out the MAC with his criticism. Why do schools in the MAC not deserve to be able to compete with schools in the Big Money conferences?
06-13-2016 01:43 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

We seem to be finding, slowly, that we have a brand. We have that "cool" to our jerseys and logos. The gear looks damn good. Year after year even when it's frustrating to us fans, we have exciting games. You want 40 points, we'll give you 60 and the other team too! lol

If it's a spending race, it's one we can win.
06-13-2016 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Hack wrote a Blade article where part of it talked about how BGSU plays second fiddle to UT athletics for corporate funding. It mentioned how renovation of the Doyt has been bogged down because of money. Also mentioned how when the Stroh Center was built there were no Corporate suites. UT has put some money into facility renovation this Summer, not a great deal for the current time. The Rockets are moving forward and now a cry for an end of the arms race comes from the Blade Editorial pages.
Coincidence? Hmmm?

Btw, Rockets' RB unit is ranked by Athlon on a par with OSU's-How did that happen when OSU spends about $130 million more on athletics than UT?
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2016 05:45 PM by Boca Rocket.)
06-13-2016 05:45 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

End of the year will matter more. They lost a pretty darn good RB to draft. I think most of us would recruit RBs for OSU if they'd give us that 130 mil, lol.
06-13-2016 06:39 PM
San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
Okay, IF the Blade Editorial supposition is; athletics is being paid on the backs of naive and/or disinterested students.

THEN 5/3 Field, Huntington Arena, Toledo Zoo and Metroparks are were also built and now maintained on the backs of naive and/or disinterested tax payers who may never attend these venues.
06-13-2016 08:36 PM
RangerRocket Online
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(06-13-2016 08:36 PM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  Okay, IF the Blade Editorial supposition is; athletics is being paid on the backs of naive and/or disinterested students.

THEN 5/3 Field, Huntington Arena, Toledo Zoo and Metroparks are were also built and now maintained on the backs of naive and/or disinterested tax payers who may never attend these venues.

Don't forget "Imagination Station" (COSI) too...
06-13-2016 08:52 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-13-2016 08:52 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(06-13-2016 08:36 PM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  Okay, IF the Blade Editorial supposition is; athletics is being paid on the backs of naive and/or disinterested students.

Eh, we get to vote on that funding, don't we? I mean, nice analogy but does it hold? Do students vote on whether to include this fee? Student Government? A quick google shows several places where it's an agreed upon fee.
06-13-2016 09:40 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-13-2016 09:40 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Eh, we get to vote on that funding, don't we? I mean, nice analogy but does it hold? Do students vote on whether to include this fee? Student Government? A quick google shows several places where it's an agreed upon fee.

A quick google, I'm seeing a range of flavors from forced to student organization input to student referendum and some government limitations, there's obviously schools seeing free money and jacking the fee. It's a book balancer.

So, why didn't duh'local explore this angle? Seems kind of pertinent.
06-13-2016 09:52 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Students do not have to attend the University of Toledo. If you don't want
to pay such fees, find another University. I was one of those individuals that worked full time during Undergrad and Graduate programs. I really
appreciated what I got for my student fees.
06-14-2016 12:21 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

NOT really a reasoning the university would want to put on the front page of the student recruitment booklet. Between that and another school saying, "Hey, we respect our students' inputs," we'd lose every time.

Most of the sites I looked at, the fee was automatic for students taking a certain number of credits or more. It's hardly a make or break for a student choosing a school as most schools have it. Some had menu options, rec fee, athletic fee, a couple other fees. I think I read that by law, athletic fee has to be listed separately. I didn't pay close attention to the reasoning. So, it can't be buried into some other general fee.

At a school competing for recruitment and retention, all things on the table. I'd imagine there's some cut-off student population could fall below that football would become history anyhow. Alienating students with essentially comments of shove it, not good politics. First priority always is academics and meeting student needs.

The fee is a good one. Sell what it brings. That's all needs done here.
06-14-2016 05:44 AM
1st String

Again, this is the norm in the G5 and UT is being the most responsible of all schools in our conference. A little more should have been said about UT being the gold standard on responsibility when balancing student fees and working very hard to raise donations and watch spending. Many other schools in the MAC have additional olympic sports being subsidized on the backs of students and paying much more in fees then UT, but yet again, UT has the bare minimum of required sports at 15 to make the most of their money. We are doing a good job! NIU, EMU, Akron & others have more sports and they cant afford them, they should taking a hard look at their spending.
06-14-2016 06:12 AM
Terry Offline
All American

Now, don't let logically thinking try to destroy a terrible opinion..... 03-yawn
06-14-2016 08:42 AM
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

There are two things that separate Toledo form the rest of the MAC athletic departments.

1. Toledo actually has three revenue sports (FB, MBB, & the ace in the hole WBB) that draws crowds and sells tickets.
example: 2,500 for football, and 600 for MBB at EMU....

2. The number of Fortune 500 and Fortune 1,000 companies located in and around Toledo.
Not many of those types of companies located in Muncie, IN or DeKalb, IL......
06-14-2016 08:50 AM
1st String

(06-14-2016 08:50 AM)Terry Wrote:  There are two things that separate Toledo form the rest of the MAC athletic departments.

1. Toledo actually has three revenue sports (FB, MBB, & the ace in the hole WBB) that draws crowds and sells tickets.
example: 2,500 for football, and 600 for MBB at EMU....

2. The number of Fortune 500 and Fortune 1,000 companies located in and around Toledo.

UT also has a lot of suites at the football and basketball stadiums that are sold out every single year and yes, for women's basketball too.
06-14-2016 10:30 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-14-2016 08:50 AM)Terry Wrote:  2. The number of Fortune 500 and Fortune 1,000 companies located in and around Toledo.

Which of those companies have investment in UT sports or UT? Seems like a lot of the family owned businesses support UT athletics. Be nice to have a list, come shopping time.
06-14-2016 11:50 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

(06-14-2016 08:42 AM)Terry Wrote:  

Now, don't let logically thinking try to destroy a terrible opinion..... 03-yawn

And don't forget the Walleye and the Mudhens too. Any wonder that the Metroparks get Marina District Land. Taxpayers are willing to foot bill. That is the ONLY way things happen in Toledo
06-14-2016 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.