Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Okay Bobcat fans
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Okay Bobcat fans
Which one of you inserted Texas State as a "major football rival" on AState Football's Wikipedia page?

The affectionately named "Border Brawl" between Arkansas State and Texas State is the newest Rivalry in the Sun Belt Conference. The hate began in the schools first meeting on November 16, 2013, Texas State's inaugural season in the Sun Belt, where Texas State hoped to secure Bowl eligibility. Their hopes were dashed when Arkansas State rallied to defeat the Bobcats 38-21 in Jonesboro. The favor was returned the next season when Texas State would redeem themselves in San Marcos, 45-27, on November 20, 2014. The 2015 matchup saw the Red Wolves clinch their third outright Sun Belt Conference championship in five seasons with a 55-17 throttling of the Bobcats. The series is currently 2-1 in favor of Arkansas State.
05-30-2016 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Okay Bobcat fans
I thought Texas State was enamored with the Cajuns?
05-30-2016 09:23 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(05-30-2016 09:07 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Which one of you inserted Texas State as a "major football rival" on AState Football's Wikipedia page?

The affectionately named "Border Brawl" between Arkansas State and Texas State is the newest Rivalry in the Sun Belt Conference. The hate began in the schools first meeting on November 16, 2013, Texas State's inaugural season in the Sun Belt, where Texas State hoped to secure Bowl eligibility. Their hopes were dashed when Arkansas State rallied to defeat the Bobcats 38-21 in Jonesboro. The favor was returned the next season when Texas State would redeem themselves in San Marcos, 45-27, on November 20, 2014. The 2015 matchup saw the Red Wolves clinch their third outright Sun Belt Conference championship in five seasons with a 55-17 throttling of the Bobcats. The series is currently 2-1 in favor of Arkansas State.

03-lmfao

While I'd like to take credit for it, 'twas not I. . . . .

Looks and Sounds as if someone's trying to "get something going." I like it, though I fear with our Coaching change and current personnel issues, it may be a couple of years before we're able to give you guys another good game . . .
05-30-2016 09:26 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Don't mean to derail, but who do Arkansas State fans consider their #1 football rival?
05-30-2016 09:27 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-30-2016 09:23 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I thought Texas State was enamored with the Cajuns?

Enamored? Hell No ! We can't beat them to save our lives . . .

It's a Monkey we'd sure as hell like to get off our backs . .
05-30-2016 09:27 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2016 09:27 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Don't mean to derail, but who do Arkansas State fans consider their #1 football rival?

Memphis.

Other than that we have no real rivalry. Louisiana Tech was a key rivalry years ago with bench clearing brawls and hate. But only old-timers remember it and its not a real rivalry if most of the fans don't remember it.
05-30-2016 09:29 PM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Personally I enjoy beating the Cajuns more than anyone we currently play. Absolutely sick when they return the favour.
05-30-2016 09:51 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Over they last several years we have both been nauseated a few times.....
05-30-2016 09:57 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(05-30-2016 09:57 PM)swampbear Wrote:  Over they last several years we have both been nauseated a few times.....

This is true.
05-30-2016 10:05 PM
DoubletapWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Red Wolves and SBC
(05-30-2016 09:51 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Personally I enjoy beating the Cajuns more than anyone we currently play. Absolutely sick when they return the favour.

Agree . . we have shared a Conference on and off with the Cajuns for Decades . . love to beat those guys . . hate to lose to those guys. 05-mafia
05-30-2016 10:15 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Memphis no doubt (though I'm glad we were able to get another 4 games in the coming years, I just don't know if The Tigers will keep scheduling us in years to come)

Cajuns have been Astate's second most played opponent; their's certainly history there and certainly within recent years the hate has been brewing. If the Cajuns and Red Wolves were located closer I think this would undoubtedly be a much more widely accepted rivalry game (I'm not sure why it isn't already but it's definently not to the level of Memphis or Louisiana Tech).

Their's also long time history and entertaining games against ULM, it's among the easiest road conference trip for fans to make and I think it'll always have the largest Red Wolf contention away from Jonesboro but it's always seemed to me their's never been a "boiling hate" towards the Warhawks.

I started a thread a while back on the Astate message board conveying my thoughts on the fact that the Red Wolves are missing a marquee rivalry trophy game and I thought creating a rivalry trophy game with the Cajuns and/or the Bobcats would not only boost the marketability of the game but help create a sense of unity so to speak with members in the conference. Though I agree with the "old schoolers" that true rivalries form naturally, I also point out examples like the "Ganz Trophy" (played between SMU and Navy that was created and first played for in 2009 before both became AAC conference foes; up until 09, the Midshipmen and Ponies had only played six times) and from every indication both fanbases have very much embraced the fairly new rivalry trophy game.

In our own conference, Goth Georiga and Alabama schools have recently created their own rivalry games with a trophy (or in the Bama school's case, a belt).
05-30-2016 10:33 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2016 10:33 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Though I agree with the "old schoolers" that true rivalries form naturally

I think we were almost getting one started with WKU. We both had trouble with each other at home and the heat was starting to rise. But that got cut off.

The same thing with App State was starting with both of us embarrassing each other in front of their own home crowd. But that one is on hiatus unfortunately.
05-30-2016 10:54 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
I doubt it is any of our regulars on this board.

I'd love to get some rivalries going but our fans dont seem to HATE anyone in the conference. Cajuns seem to get the most discussion but I think it is because they are the closest and we have a large alumni base in Houston that is willing to drive to Lafayette
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2016 10:58 PM by chrisattsu.)
05-30-2016 10:58 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
Yeah, I think we're too pathetic for anyone to hate enough to be their rival.
05-30-2016 11:03 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(05-30-2016 11:03 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Yeah, I think we're too pathetic for anyone to hate enough to be their rival.

DING, DING, DING, DING . . . . WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER !
05-30-2016 11:06 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(05-30-2016 11:06 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(05-30-2016 11:03 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Yeah, I think we're too pathetic for anyone to hate enough to be their rival.

DING, DING, DING, DING . . . . WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER !

Ah, the old self-deprecating Bobcat humor that we all know and love. Born from years of soul-crushing, heart breaking, and inexplicable losses. Fostered on shoulda-woulda-couldas and moral victories.
05-30-2016 11:11 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State

True! But I do hate Georgia Southern lol
05-31-2016 08:42 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-30-2016 09:27 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Don't mean to derail, but who do Arkansas State fans consider their #1 football rival?

Memphis is our #1 rivalry, but it's not played regularly, so the Cajuns have picked up much of the slack. Those two teams do not like each other.

Give App State time, and we'll probably learn to hate them. They are probably the next closest Sun Belt team to a "rival," but rivalries are not built in a day.
05-31-2016 10:44 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(05-31-2016 10:44 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Memphis is our #1 rivalry, but it's not played regularly, so the Cajuns have picked up much of the slack. Those two teams do not like each other.

Give App State time, and we'll probably learn to hate them. They are probably the next closest Sun Belt team to a "rival," but rivalries are not built in a day.

I was hoping you all wouldn't be taken off our schedule for the next two seasons, as I was really starting to develop a hatred for stAte. Especially, after the SBC Volleyball Tournament. Don't take too kindly to teams getting in our way of what we're trying to do. 03-lmfao05-mafia
05-31-2016 11:10 AM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
yeah the Belt schedulers really blew rotating both ASU's off one another's schedules.
05-31-2016 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.