Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What CUSA's new TV deal may tell us about conference expansion...
Bookmark and Share
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
What CUSA's new TV deal may tell us about conference expansion...
Conference USA made a bet that some of their smaller programs would mature into larger fanbases, and that thanks to large market access, it will bring them stability and acclaim. That might happen 20 years from now. But for this TV deal, it's clear they are taking a step back (playing football on beIN is a good indicator of that). Who knows what the next twenty years will look like?

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/29/...e-usa-2016
05-30-2016 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
RE: What CUSA's new TV deal may tell us about conference expansion...
Marketing for "BYU to the B12" 07-coffee3
05-30-2016 09:08 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
So discouraging to be stuck in this conference. Even more discouraging when leadership at your school tries to spin things and tell fans how excited we should be.
05-30-2016 09:41 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Unless AAC has interest in Marshall, It may be time to go talk with MAC. 800k >than 250k.
05-30-2016 09:55 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(05-30-2016 09:55 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Unless AAC has interest in Marshall, It may be time to go talk with MAC. 800k >than 250k.

True, teams like USM and Marshall deserve better. Both have sweat equity, history, success that has better value. Being stuck in a league with so many upstarts is only holding them back. MTS, USM and Marshall should all approach the MAC about membership. All the other upstarts should be in the Sunbelt. Earning it there without effecting more traditional programs with growth pains.

The MAC is solid and worth the effort.
05-30-2016 10:06 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(05-30-2016 09:55 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Unless AAC has interest in Marshall, It may be time to go talk with MAC. 800k >than 250k.

Agree,Marshall fans deserve better money. MAC looks very attractive right now. It would be a huge blow to CUSA imo.
05-30-2016 10:25 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-30-2016 10:25 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  

Agree,Marshall fans deserve better money. MAC looks very attractive right now. It would be a huge blow to CUSA imo.

800k but minus production costs and playing Tuesday and Wednesday.
05-30-2016 10:47 AM
Cscollis Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
Quit your whining. USM and Marshall are where they are for a reason. Small schools in small markets. USM was a consistant winner and Marshall has had it moments but I hate to tell you winning isn't everything to get into a better conference. All you have to do is look a Tulane. They suck in all sports except baseball but they are in NO and are now in the AAC.

It is about location and fan support and neither USM or Marshall are in a good location.
05-30-2016 11:18 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(05-30-2016 09:41 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  So discouraging to be stuck in this conference. Even more discouraging when leadership at your school tries to spin things and tell fans how excited we should be.

Fairly visible on the efforts UTEP, Rice, Southern Mississippi and Old Dominion are making to move to the MWC or AAC. And I have to think USM has the leg up on the next AAC opening, unless Tillman Fertitta buys UH into the AAC. Marshall has been quiet.
05-30-2016 11:33 AM
isidnirb Offline
1st String

(05-30-2016 11:18 AM)Cscollis Wrote:  Quit your whining. USM and Marshall are where they are for a reason. Small schools in small markets. USM was a consistant winner and Marshall has had it moments but I hate to tell you winning isn't everything to get into a better conference. All you have to do is look a Tulane. They suck in all sports except baseball but they are in NO and are now in the AAC.

It is about location and fan support and neither USM or Marshall are in a good location.

More like USM and Marshall are playing to the level of their currents peers. MAC is perfect for them. Ohio, SIU, etc are perfect compliments to them. Good football schools. They deserve better.
05-30-2016 12:06 PM
polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU Marshall
The only other programs in conference I'm not embarrassed to claim are Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and maybe Old Dominion. The others I have no interest what so ever seeing and I don't expect anyone else does either. Marshall should tell CUSA to keep its $250k and bounce. Lose more money playing a CUSA east schedule anyways.
05-30-2016 12:29 PM
Advertisement

PaulDel2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sothern Miss
What the CUSA TV deal shows is that the day of "markets alone" is dead. The AAC was built that way and CUSA tried to follow the same model.. By the way, markets doesn't mean "ratings, fan support or attendance." It means Cable boxes in the teams area because each cable box pays the fee regardless of whether the people turn it on.

As of the end of the 1st quarter of 2016, ESPN is losing approximately 10,500 subscribers per day according to Neilsen. They are over 10 million subscribers below where they were at their peak just a few years ago. That's why they havent' reached agreement with the B1G. And while Fox would love the B1G, you haven't seen them rushing to throw money at them. They will wait until ESPN either walks or makes their final offer and then Fox will submit a low ball offer when they don't have to negotiate against themselves. All of the P5, as well as the G5, are in for a rude awakening when their current deals expire.

Just like the housing market, I think the bubble has burst.
05-30-2016 12:29 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(05-30-2016 12:06 PM)isidnirb Wrote:  
(05-30-2016 11:18 AM)Cscollis Wrote:  Quit your whining. USM and Marshall are where they are for a reason. Small schools in small markets. USM was a consistant winner and Marshall has had it moments but I hate to tell you winning isn't everything to get into a better conference. All you have to do is look a Tulane. They suck in all sports except baseball but they are in NO and are now in the AAC.

More like USM and Marshall are playing to the level of their currents peers. MAC is perfect for them. Ohio, SIU, etc are perfect compliments to them. Good football schools. They deserve better.
The Salukis don't play FBS

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
05-30-2016 12:53 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(05-30-2016 12:29 PM)polkhigh Wrote:  The only other programs in conference I'm not embarrassed to claim are Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and maybe Old Dominion. The others I have no interest what so ever seeing and I don't expect anyone else does either. Marshall should tell CUSA to keep its $250k and bounce. Lose more money playing a CUSA east schedule anyways.
Wait, which conference, Big12? P5 first fan

05-30-2016 12:54 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(05-30-2016 12:29 PM)polkhigh Wrote:  The only other programs in conference I'm not embarrassed to claim are Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and maybe Old Dominion. The others I have no interest what so ever seeing and I don't expect anyone else does either. Marshall should tell CUSA to keep its $250k and bounce. Lose more money playing a CUSA east schedule anyways.
You must be super embarrassed that one of those embarrassing teams embarrassed you during your almost undefeated season then

05-30-2016 12:57 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(05-30-2016 12:29 PM)PaulDel2 Wrote:  What the CUSA TV deal shows is that the day of "markets alone" is dead. The AAC was built that way and CUSA tried to follow the same model.. By the way, markets doesn't mean "ratings, fan support or attendance." It means Cable boxes in the teams area because each cable box pays the fee regardless of whether the people turn it on.

As of the end of the 1st quarter of 2016, ESPN is losing approximately 10,500 subscribers per day according to Neilsen. They are over 10 million subscribers below where they were at their peak just a few years ago. That's why they havent' reached agreement with the B1G. And while Fox would love the B1G, you haven't seen them rushing to throw money at them. They will wait until ESPN either walks or makes their final offer and then Fox will submit a low ball offer when they don't have to negotiate against themselves. All of the P5, as well as the G5, are in for a rude awakening when their current deals expire.

Just like the housing market, I think the bubble has burst.
AAC built more on winning programs more than markets.
05-30-2016 12:58 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(05-30-2016 12:57 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  
You must be super embarrassed that one of those embarrassing teams embarrassed you during your almost undefeated season then

and another beat you in the Conference championship game in 2013.
05-30-2016 01:02 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(05-30-2016 12:57 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  

Marshall is vital to CUSA. Take them away and the conference value struggles. The Herd are the most recognized brand in CUSA and bring much needed national attention with them.

WKU is fortunate to be playing in a league with Marshall.
05-30-2016 01:07 PM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
(05-30-2016 10:06 AM)isidnirb Wrote:  

True, teams like USM and Marshall deserve better. Both have sweat equity, history, success that has better value. Being stuck in a league with so many upstarts is only holding them back. MTS, USM and Marshall should all approach the MAC about membership. All the other upstarts should be in the Sunbelt. Earning it there without effecting more traditional programs with growth pains.

The MAC is solid and worth the effort.

As crappy as our current conference situation is, the MAC doesn't make any sense for us. Any gain in payout is significantly reduced by playing Tuesday night games 800 miles away. The travel expenses would be terrible and at least in C-USA we have La Tech and UAB that are easy road trips for both sides. Besides, I doubt there's any real interest among USM fans to play Ball State of EMU and I'm sure they feel the same way.
05-30-2016 01:19 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(05-30-2016 10:47 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(05-30-2016 10:25 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  

800k but minus production costs and playing Tuesday and Wednesday.

ESPN pays all production costs and produces all MAC football games including sending the PxP and TV announcers. That is included in the contract. The MAC schools only pay for and produce basketball and other non-revenue sports. That is another key advantage vs the CUSA deal. If a CUSA school wants to have football on ESPN3, they have to produce it themselves at their own expense.

05-30-2016 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.