Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Our New Media Partner Losing More Viewers
ESPN Loses Another 1.5 Million Subscribers As Cord Cutting Accelerates

By Clay Travis
May 28, 2016 at 4:29p ET

According to 2016 Nielsen data ESPN lost over 1.5 million subscribers from February to the end of May this year. That drops ESPN to 89,465,000 subscriber homes, a precipitous decline from the network's total number of 2013 subscribers which was over 99 million. Based on these numbers over the past four months ESPN lost an average of 10,400 subscribers a day.

Gulp.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footbal...tes-052816
05-28-2016 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlueraiderJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MTSU
RE: Our New Media Partner Losing More Viewers
ESPN has been bleeding cash and subscribers for a while now. They dictate everything which will effect all of the other G5's moving forward. Whatever money people thought was there is evaporating.
05-28-2016 11:01 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-28-2016 11:01 PM)BlueraiderJT Wrote:  ESPN has been bleeding cash and subscribers for a while now. They dictate everything which will effect all of the other G5's moving forward. Whatever money people thought was there is evaporating.

They are not bleeding cash. Their network division represents the largest profit for Disney. They just might not get the same level of profit margin as in the past though.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2016 07:26 AM by KNIGHTTIME.)
05-29-2016 07:26 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-29-2016 07:26 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(05-28-2016 11:01 PM)BlueraiderJT Wrote:  ESPN has been bleeding cash and subscribers for a while now. They dictate everything which will effect all of the other G5's moving forward. Whatever money people thought was there is evaporating.

They are not bleeding cash. Their network division represents the largest profit for Disney. They just might not get the same level of profit margin as in the past though.
this.

People often confuse "losses" as not turning a profit.
05-29-2016 11:29 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
There insistance to suck the SEC teat lost me a long time ago. Since they will
Occasionally show cusa I may tune in again a time or two but only to our events.
05-29-2016 02:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
ESPN entered into these long-term, hefty financial agreements with the SEC and others and found out that folks are only interested in the teams and conferences they root for. They found out that the vast majority of non-SEC college football fans are not gonna watch an SEC game simply because its an SEC game. Add to that the other sports they're obligated to broadcast, the animosity towards the SEC and you see ESPN has, in the minds of many, become too SEC-centric and it has turned people off.
05-29-2016 05:18 PM
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Each subscriber is worth about $7-$8/month to ESPN, losing 1.5 million subscribers is a loss of $135 Million/Year. The 10 million total subscriber loss is close to a $1B/yr gone in revenue... That's not chump change.
06-01-2016 12:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
I hope they go belly up. Can't stand ESPN for doing what they have done to sports in general.
06-01-2016 12:30 PM
MU42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
If ESPN lost 1.5 million subscribers so did FS1, CBS Sports, A&E, History, Bravo, and any other basic cable channel. It's not eapn losing subscribers, it's TV in general.
06-01-2016 01:11 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

(06-01-2016 01:11 PM)MU42 Wrote:  If ESPN lost 1.5 million subscribers so did FS1, CBS Sports, A&E, History, Bravo, and any other basic cable channel. It's not espn losing subscribers, it's TV in general.

Our TV deal didn't tell me that we have a bad conference. It told me that TV in general is about to make a gigantic turn and a lot of folks are about to lose a lot of money. TV as we know it will go the way of the Dodo Bird. Streaming in some form will allow more autonomy for Conferences and better fit us if we are smart.
06-01-2016 01:23 PM
SVHerd Online
All American

I Root For:
(06-01-2016 01:11 PM)MU42 Wrote:  If ESPN lost 1.5 million subscribers so did FS1, CBS Sports, A&E, History, Bravo, and any other basic cable channel. It's not eapn losing subscribers, it's TV in general.

This. Dish and Direct TV are losing subscribers daily. With Netflix, Hulu and online streaming, people are tired of the crap that the above mentioned providers give them. I just eliminated a few packages on my cable because I never watched them. I had Direct TV and it sucked! Lost reception every time someone farted.

Sports in general is suffering. Attendance is down for many sports and tix prices up, and the fans are staying away. College football attendance is on a 5 year slide.
06-01-2016 01:29 PM
Advertisement

pilot172000 Offline
All American

(06-01-2016 01:29 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 01:11 PM)MU42 Wrote:  If ESPN lost 1.5 million subscribers so did FS1, CBS Sports, A&E, History, Bravo, and any other basic cable channel. It's not eapn losing subscribers, it's TV in general.

This. Dish and Direct TV are losing subscribers daily. With Netflix, Hulu and online streaming, people are tired of the crap that the above mentioned providers give them. I just eliminated a few packages on my cable because I never watched them. I had Direct TV and it sucked! Lost reception every time someone farted.

Sports in general is suffering. Attendance is down for many sports and tix prices up, and the fans are staying away. College football attendance is on a 5 year slide.

They have abused the fans for so long, its time Sports started to suffer. I have direct and can tell you that if they let me choose 25 channels, I would need the other 300 channels. Its a complete load of crap and its going to fall on their heads.
06-01-2016 01:41 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
At some point in the near future this will shift...

Cable was once $8 a month then it went to $12 then $16, then $24, then $30 and on and on. So all of these cord cutters will soon see that also. Once the numbers reach a point where they feel they got you hooked..streaming prices will start going up. At some point people will wake up to a $50 to $65 price for their 25 channels and say...

I used to get 120 to 160 for that

No one needs the 120 to 160 channels but the companies supplying the content needs the fees from those off beat channels to offer the 25 you might watch. Also and I know those cable cutters will never admit this but. I bet most have went up a grade or two on their internet since switching to streaming only. Doesn't matter if you are paying $30 for streaming cost is cost so if you also are paying a extra $15 a month for better internet...that $30 just went up to $45
06-01-2016 02:03 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
When does ESPN start charging more for their services to the "cord-cutting" device companies ?
06-01-2016 02:36 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

(06-01-2016 02:03 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  At some point in the near future this will shift...

Cable was once $8 a month then it went to $12 then $16, then $24, then $30 and on and on. So all of these cord cutters will soon see that also. Once the numbers reach a point where they feel they got you hooked..streaming prices will start going up. At some point people will wake up to a $50 to $65 price for their 25 channels and say...

I used to get 120 to 160 for that

No one needs the 120 to 160 channels but the companies supplying the content needs the fees from those off beat channels to offer the 25 you might watch. Also and I know those cable cutters will never admit this but. I bet most have went up a grade or two on their internet since switching to streaming only. Doesn't matter if you are paying $30 for streaming cost is cost so if you also are paying a extra $15 a month for better internet...that $30 just went up to $45

This is true. Once the shift is complete, prices will go through the roof. I personally only watch pro baseball and CUSA sports. It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if the rest went away.
06-01-2016 02:37 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-01-2016 02:36 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  When does ESPN start charging more for their services to the "cord-cutting" device companies ?

With the ability to stream feeds from foreign countries, this will be hard to do. There will be alternative ways to get feeds.
06-01-2016 03:32 PM
Advertisement

pilot172000 Offline
All American

(06-01-2016 03:32 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 02:36 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  When does ESPN start charging more for their services to the "cord-cutting" device companies ?

With the ability to stream feeds from foreign countries, this will be hard to do. There will be alternative ways to get feeds.

The funds won't come from the feeds. They will come from the data plans and the speeds provided. AT&T bought Direct for a reason. TV networks are going to get killed at first and the internet providers are going to cash in.
06-01-2016 03:39 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-01-2016 03:39 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  

The funds won't come from the feeds. They will come from the data plans and the speeds provided. AT&T bought Direct for a reason. TV networks are going to get killed at first and the internet providers are going to cash in.

True, but there won't be the monopoly that TV Providers have had. That plus the move to ATSC 3.0 and the FCC repack are going to create a more competitive marketplace for over-the-air TV (with IP as a backup) to keep prices down. Cable and Satellites days are numbered.
06-01-2016 03:54 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

(06-01-2016 03:54 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

True, but there won't be the monopoly that TV Providers have had. That plus the move to ATSC 3.0 and the FCC repack are going to create a more competitive marketplace for over-the-air TV (with IP as a backup) to keep prices down. Cable and Satellites days are numbered.

If I could get CUSA and MLB streaming, OTA would be all the tv I would need with the exception of a DVR and like two channels FX and AMC
06-01-2016 03:57 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(06-01-2016 03:54 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

True but streaming content is still behind on live sports
06-01-2016 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.