Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

New Chair
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
New Chair
Let's say tomorrow you hit the lottery and had the money to create a new school of study at the U of M. Which field would you create to expand the U of M position academically and in the area of research.

What area of study do you feel would be best to raise the academic/research standing of the university.
05-25-2016 04:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: New Chair
I do not know if it already exists, but I think a chair for accounting would be useful. I realize it is not an exciting topic, but it is an area of job growth deserving attention.
05-25-2016 05:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
Chair of Louisville with Fred Horton holding the first chair.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 06:19 AM by mairving.)
05-25-2016 06:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
Venture Capital.
05-25-2016 06:52 AM
danny1 Offline
All American

I would add a chair in Biomedical Engineering. This would enable the university to provide even better prepared graduates to assume positions in this growing high tech sector of the Memphis economy.
05-25-2016 06:54 AM
NDTiger Offline
All American

Mechanical engineering. With the large concentration of device companies (Smith & Nephew, Wright, MDT, Olympus, Microport, and various machine shops). Surprised this is not already done.
05-25-2016 07:24 AM
Advertisement

Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
VERY insightful question! Perhaps something in the area of a School of Medicine, to support the area's growing medical infrastructure as well as St. Jude...
05-25-2016 07:25 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I don't know what you'd call it, and the university may well be doing it already, but I would fund a program that allows dual-enrollment in high schools and the UM.

Taking college credit courses while you are still in high school is done all over Iowa, and not just in community colleges where I used to teach, but at the state universities as well.

I don't just mean having high school students come to the university campus. In my area, at least two college level courses are taught each semester on site at area local high schools by college teachers. The local school boards fund the tuition and books. Regular online courses are also available to the high school kids. And they are also welcome to take courses on the college campus during regular semesters and summer school. They are eligible for all these programs after they complete their high school sophomore year.

I once had a student who had somehow gotten enough college credits that she received an AA degree a week before she actually got her high school diploma, then transferred to the university of Iowa as a junior--at age 18.

Like I said, UM may already be doing this.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 07:39 AM by cotton1991.)
05-25-2016 07:32 AM
SNF6 Offline
Go To Hell Ole Miss

I Root For: Vol Free USA
(05-25-2016 07:32 AM)cotton1991 Wrote:  I don't know what you'd call it, and the university may well be doing it already, but I would fund a program that allows dual-enrollment in high schools and the UM.

Taking college credit courses while you are still in high school is done all over Iowa, and not just in community colleges where I used to teach, but at the state universities as well.

I don't just mean having high school students come to the university campus. In my area, at least two college level courses are taught each semester on site at area local high schools by college teachers. The local school boards fund the tuition and books. Regular online courses are also available to the high school kids. And they are also welcome to take courses on the college campus during regular semesters and summer school. They are eligible for all these programs after they complete their high school sophomore year.

I once had a student who had somehow gotten enough college credits that she received an AA degree a week before she actually got her high school diploma, then transferred to the university of Iowa as a junior--at age 18.

Christian Brothers University has a duel-enrollment program. In fact, a young man in Memphis has 60 college hours as he is graduating from high school this year. I have seen in the past that the program has many young people enrolled.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 07:45 AM by SNF6.)
05-25-2016 07:40 AM
SNF6 Offline
Go To Hell Ole Miss

I Root For: Vol Free USA
Memphis school of accountancy has two Chairs of Excellence. If I am not mistaken, this was one of, if not the first program at Memphis to have this. My son just started the honors program in accountancy at Memphis.
05-25-2016 07:45 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(05-25-2016 07:40 AM)SNF6 Wrote:  
(05-25-2016 07:32 AM)cotton1991 Wrote:  I don't know what you'd call it, and the university may well be doing it already, but I would fund a program that allows dual-enrollment in high schools and the UM.

Christian Brothers University has a duel-enrollment program. In fact, a young man in Memphis has 60 college hours as he is graduating this year. I have seen in the past that the program has many young people enrolled.

I read that article. I think UM should do something like that as well. My point too is not just about the academic superstars like that kid or my example of a student with an AA.

Up here, 50% of high schoolers are in some form of dual enrollment. It's not just for the academic overachievers. Plus, with college tuition costs, the program here is paid by school board tax dollars so the students save a bundle.
05-25-2016 07:47 AM
Advertisement

RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2016 07:25 AM)Merrick Wrote:  VERY insightful question! Perhaps something in the area of a School of Medicine, to support the area's growing medical infrastructure as well as St. Jude...

I was thinking the same thing, but then wondered if the foothold already attained by the UT College of Medicine would make this a really tall order. That being the case, I would like to see either a school for psychological and social services, or as has been already mentioned biomedical engineering.
05-25-2016 08:03 AM
FUB Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
Renewable energy engineering ,turn the MSC into a solar collector place a solar panel farm and vertical axis windmills. Call that area of the Mid South Fairgrounds Renewable Park. Get the Engineering dept all up in it.
05-25-2016 08:42 AM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

Indiana does this as well. Our daughter started as a freshman at Purdue last Fall with 30+ hours. She is on track to graduate in 3 years.
05-25-2016 08:45 AM
tcountytigerfan Offline
1st String

(05-25-2016 07:45 AM)SNF6 Wrote:  Memphis school of accountancy has two Chairs of Excellence. If I am not mistaken, this was one of, if not the first program at Memphis to have this. My son just started the honors program in accountancy at Memphis.

That's correct - very good accounting program at Memphis. A degree in accounting opens many opportunities beyond taxes & number-counting too. One of the most sought-out degrees in the business world.

My advice to your son is to get involved with Beta Alpha Psi (accounting organization) - this will open doors to contacts at all the Big4 accounting firms and local accounting firms, as well as the big local players (AutoZone, FedEx, IP, etc.). Good luck to him!
05-25-2016 09:13 AM
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
New Chair

When I was in high schools a lot of kids would take AP courses for college credit.
05-25-2016 09:22 AM
Advertisement

triplealumtiger Offline
Water Engineer

Chemical engineering. I know the "why" we don't have one (TBR), but the fact that we don't is crazy considering the various chemical manufacturing plants around town and on presidents island. The closest ChemE programs to Memphis are Mississippi State, followed by Tenn. Tech and likely Fayetteville that I know of.
05-25-2016 10:52 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
If academics really meant something, Harvard and Yale would be in the Big 10 and Sewanee, Millsaps and Rhodes would be in the SEC.
05-25-2016 10:55 AM
FarFromHome Offline
2nd String

I Root For: dap systems
(05-25-2016 10:55 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  If academics really meant something, Harvard and Yale would be in the Big 10 and Sewanee, Millsaps and Rhodes would be in the SEC.

Just shut up. Gaw-dangit you ruin everything.
05-25-2016 11:04 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
Upgrade the Department of Architecture to the School of Architecture. It needs its own building and facilities. Sharing Jones Hall with foreign languages is hampering both.
05-25-2016 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.