Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the "new atheism" movement dead?
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
So there's going to be another "Reason Rally" in DC like there was in 2012.

Here's a list of speakers that includes Johnny Depp's wife, George Carlin's daughter, some random atheist women bloggers most people have never heard of, some group of black rappers in something called the "Wu Tang Clan", and some random LGBT activists with androgynous appearances.

Their big issues for this year? LGBT equality, climate change, and "reproductive rights"..

I think a lot of guys like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris et al were kind of douchebags but I had a respect for them. I would sooner travel to DC to listen to someone provocative that I don't agree with than go hear a bunch of liberal social activists and whatever other women they dug up so that they could have a diverse group of speakers. The original message of the "four horsemen" has been completely lost on all the SJWs who have tried to make liberalism synonymous with "reason".
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2016 10:07 PM by EigenEagle.)
05-23-2016 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Is the "new atheism" movement dead?
As a Christian I don't care that it's dying on the vine. But I will say if it dies it's because social justice and "atheism+" killed it.
05-23-2016 11:38 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
The sexual deviants have taken over every leftist movement, haven't they? Wouldn't be surprised if African-Americans start jumping ship.
05-24-2016 07:24 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(05-24-2016 07:24 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The sexual deviants have taken over every leftist movement, haven't they? Wouldn't be surprised if African-Americans start jumping ship.

Totally agree and I'd include the Hispanics. I've posted in the past how Hispanics have more in common with Republican conservatism than most realize.
05-24-2016 07:28 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(05-24-2016 07:28 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 07:24 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The sexual deviants have taken over every leftist movement, haven't they? Wouldn't be surprised if African-Americans start jumping ship.

Totally agree and I'd include the Hispanics. I've posted in the past how Hispanics have more in common with Republican conservatism than most realize.

It is hard to believe that Hispanic voters, who are here legally and many who went through the intense naturalization process, would want to grant amnesty to illegals. Would be like someone with an MBA wanting to grant MBA degrees to everyone working in business management.
05-24-2016 07:33 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(05-24-2016 07:33 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 07:28 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  

It is hard to believe that Hispanic voters, who are here legally and many who went through the intense naturalization process, would want to grant amnesty to illegals. Would be like someone with an MBA wanting to grant MBA degrees to everyone working in business management.

you would have to ask fit that one.....I completely agree....
05-24-2016 07:41 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
So SJWs have even infected fringe groups? That's hilarious.
05-24-2016 09:24 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I would be surprised. They are following the pied piper of intersectionality.
05-24-2016 09:36 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-24-2016 09:24 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  So SJWs have even infected fringe groups? That's hilarious.

This has been going on for some time. They call themselves A+ (Atheism plus), which means they are atheists PLUS other pet causes - basically SJW causes. Bottom line, these idiots are a very small percentage of the total number atheists out there. If you would ask your normal everyday atheist about the "atheist movement", the vast majority would ask you what the heck you are talking about. These idiots think there is a movement. The people mentioned prior - like Dawkins and Hitchens - I don't believe they felt they were in charge of any movement. They were outspoken in their views, and that's pretty much all there is to it. I would call Hitchens in particular more of a cross between a libertarian and a conservative than anything else. He loathed Muslims and had the balls to speak out against them as well as the fools who were big in SJW causes.

People get way to hung up on this stuff. There are people out there who do not believe that a higher power created the universe, and that it runs on its own based on natural laws.
05-24-2016 09:52 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(05-24-2016 09:52 AM)miko33 Wrote:  The people mentioned prior - like Dawkins and Hitchens - I don't believe they felt they were in charge of any movement.

No but they were the intellectual face of the movement. They are what prevented Atheism from being a caricature and total joke in the 90's and early naughts

Quote:They were outspoken in their views, and that's pretty much all there is to it. I would call Hitchens in particular more of a cross between a libertarian and a conservative than anything else. He loathed Muslims and had the balls to speak out against them as well as the fools who were big in SJW causes.

And this is why he and Dawkins have been driven from the "new atheism" because the SJW's would do things like "ban you from a conference because

05-24-2016 10:08 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-24-2016 10:08 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 09:52 AM)miko33 Wrote:  The people mentioned prior - like Dawkins and Hitchens - I don't believe they felt they were in charge of any movement.

No but they were the intellectual face of the movement. They are what prevented Atheism from being a caricature and total joke in the 90's and early naughts

Quote:They were outspoken in their views, and that's pretty much all there is to it. I would call Hitchens in particular more of a cross between a libertarian and a conservative than anything else. He loathed Muslims and had the balls to speak out against them as well as the fools who were big in SJW causes.

And this is why he and Dawkins have been driven from the "new atheism" because the SJW's would do things like "ban you from a conference because

There is no atheism movement. I would classify this last conference as a SJW conference being held under the guise of an atheism conference. That's what is going on here. Don't get me wrong, there have been "atheist conferences" and there still are, but IMHO it's much more like a conference on numismatics or a conference for a professional organisation than anything else. The majority of people who are atheists aren't members of the Skeptics Society, a Humanist society or any other organization like that. That's why its a misnomer to think of there being an actual "atheist movement".
05-24-2016 10:32 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(05-24-2016 10:32 AM)miko33 Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 10:08 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

There is no atheism movement. I would classify this last conference as a SJW conference being held under the guise of an atheism conference. That's what is going on here. Don't get me wrong, there have been "atheist conferences" and there still are, but IMHO it's much more like a conference on numismatics or a conference for a professional organisation than anything else. The majority of people who are atheists aren't members of the Skeptics Society, a Humanist society or any other organization like that. That's why its a misnomer to think of there being an actual "atheist movement".

it would contradict the meaning of being atheist if a "movement" was their guise....

us atheists couldn't care less about a "movement".....that's why we're atheists...
05-24-2016 03:29 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Wow! We get this less than a day after you posted this.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-780635.html

You got any insight on the Powerball numbers?
05-24-2016 03:41 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
True, Atheism doesn't imply participating in any movement. But then again if there are Atheist conferences, maybe there is an "Atheist Movement?"

I see, within Atheism, a lot of Libertarianism. And as I've commented before, a lot of Libertarianism is really just a circle-jerk purity test. Atheism movements have a lot of that same stench...
05-24-2016 03:44 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I think there's kind of an atheist movement, though it's understated. Have not been to any conferences but I've seen a lot of youtube videos of guys like Dawkins, Hitchens, etc. In those I haven't noticed anything like libertarianism, nor have I in the few books I've read from those types.
05-24-2016 04:00 PM
stinkfist Online

(05-24-2016 04:00 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I think there's kind of an atheist movement, though it's understated. Have not been to any conferences but I've seen a lot of youtube videos of guys like Dawkins, Hitchens, etc. In those I haven't noticed anything like libertarianism, nor have I in the few books I've read from those types.

I view it more in the vein of that 'scarlet letter' being removed w/o fear of being burned at the stake....

the internet changed the game how little sects are becoming less relevant as the days continue to be checked off the calendar....

many in rural populations were not ready for this type of cultural infusion.....
05-24-2016 04:45 PM
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
I'm an atheist. However, I don't spend my time going around trying to convert theists to my way of thinking.

For a lot of people, faith is the pillar in their life. It's not fair for me to take a sledgehammer to that.
05-24-2016 04:48 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(05-24-2016 03:44 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  True, Atheism doesn't imply participating in any movement. But then again if there are Atheist conferences, maybe there is an "Atheist Movement?"

I see, within Atheism, a lot of Libertarianism. And as I've commented before, a lot of Libertarianism is really just a circle-jerk purity test. Atheism movements have a lot of that same stench...

the whole point of atheism for me personally is that I'm not attached to anything and don't need anyone to influence or confirm my beliefs. so having to go to an atheist rally doesn't connect with me because that is the same damn thing as going to a church. calling myself an atheist again doesn't connect with me because that is still attaching myself to a particular group.
05-24-2016 04:53 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(05-24-2016 04:53 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(05-24-2016 03:44 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  True, Atheism doesn't imply participating in any movement. But then again if there are Atheist conferences, maybe there is an "Atheist Movement?"

the whole point of atheism for me personally is that I'm not attached to anything and don't need anyone to influence or confirm my beliefs. so having to go to an atheist rally doesn't connect with me because that is the same damn thing as going to a church. calling myself an atheist again doesn't connect with me because that is still attaching myself to a particular group.

I've always found something anachronistic about atheist churches
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 05:00 PM by vandiver49.)
05-24-2016 04:59 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

Nor would it preclude it... Just not a theistic movement
05-24-2016 06:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.