Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho and bowl eligibility
Bookmark and Share
theultimateaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
Idaho and bowl eligibility
With Idaho's decision do they forfeit bowl eligibility if they hit the magic 6 wins?
05-01-2016 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
RE: Idaho and bowl eligibility
(05-01-2016 12:01 PM)theultimateaggie Wrote:  With Idaho's decision do they forfeit bowl eligibility if they hit the magic 6 wins?
Don't believe so. Since they are still in the Sun Belt next year, and FBS.
05-01-2016 12:05 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

If they are eligible it seems a little odd to me. A move up must have a two year transition and can't be post-season eligible in either year. Seems like a transitional team down would be under similar constraints.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 01:19 PM by rokamortis.)
05-01-2016 01:19 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(05-01-2016 01:19 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  If they are eligible it seems a little odd to me. A move up must have a two year transition and can't be post-season eligible in either year. Seems like a transitional team down would be under similar constraints.

FBS to FCS has never happened before. If there's no rule against it on the books now, they can't just single IU out and make up a new one suddenly.
05-01-2016 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-01-2016 01:19 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  If they are eligible it seems a little odd to me. A move up must have a two year transition and can't be post-season eligible in either year. Seems like a transitional team down would be under similar constraints.

Move Up's are ineligible because the first year they are FCS and playing with more than 63 scholarships.

Idaho will actually have less than 85 scholarships now.
05-01-2016 01:36 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(05-01-2016 01:36 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Move Up's are ineligible because the first year they are FCS and playing with more than 63 scholarships.

Idaho will actually have less than 85 scholarships now.

But what about the second year of FBS transition? Nearly the same situation as both teams have less than 85 scholarships.
05-01-2016 01:41 PM
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

(05-01-2016 01:35 PM)airtroop Wrote:  

FBS to FCS has never happened before. If there's no rule against it on the books now, they can't just single IU out and make up a new one suddenly.

I'm not trying to rag Idaho - just wondering. It just seems like teams moving up in their second year of transition will be in a similar situation as a team moving down to FCS. Doesn't seem consistent.
05-01-2016 01:41 PM
GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM
(05-01-2016 01:41 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  

I'm not trying to rag Idaho - just wondering. It just seems like teams moving up in their second year of transition will be in a similar situation as a team moving down to FCS. Doesn't seem consistent.
CONSISTENT--- This is the NCAA.
05-01-2016 03:34 PM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
I'm not following -- why wouldn't Idaho be bowl eligible? It's still an FBS school until 2018.

More likely, we get a UAB-in-its-last-year situation and nobody invites us.
05-01-2016 05:05 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
King Karl will never approve you over another SBC team if it came to that.
05-01-2016 06:23 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(05-01-2016 06:23 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  King Karl will never approve you over another SBC team if it came to that.

Depends on the team...
05-01-2016 06:28 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(05-01-2016 06:23 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  King Karl will never approve you over another SBC team if it came to that.

He would gladly approve them over Arkansas State and laugh all the way out of that meeting.
05-01-2016 06:29 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte

You're looking at it wrong. They will be FBS until they move down. You can't take that away from them. They may be a transitional FCS team and won't be eligible for the FCS playoffs their first year or two.
05-02-2016 08:39 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(05-01-2016 05:05 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  I'm not following -- why wouldn't Idaho be bowl eligible? It's still an FBS school until 2018.

More likely, we get a UAB-in-its-last-year situation and nobody invites us.

Here is my line of thinking - as unpopular as it is - that Idaho will be reducing scholarships over the next two years. Sure they are FBS, but are transitioning down.

Comparing it to schools transitioning up, they are adding scholarships so aren't eligible for FCS post-season in their first year. But they also aren't bowl eligible in their second year when FBS transitional. Why not? They are FBS at that point too, just labeled "transitional".

Those two teams would seem to be in very similar situations from a number of scholarships aspect.
05-02-2016 08:48 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

(05-02-2016 08:39 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

You're looking at it wrong. They will be FBS until they move down. You can't take that away from them. They may be a transitional FCS team and won't be eligible for the FCS playoffs their first year or two.

I thought their president said they'd be eligible immediately for playoffs once they become FCS ... or did I hear that incorrectly?
05-02-2016 08:49 AM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
(05-02-2016 08:49 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  

I thought their president said they'd be eligible immediately for playoffs once they become FCS ... or did I hear that incorrectly?

He must at least think they are, or else his comment about pursuing the 2018 FCS title would be invalid.

On the field, they'll have to get significantly better to be in that conversation. They struggled to beat Wofford at home last year, and the Terriers haven't been FCS playoff worthy in a few years.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 10:15 AM by Eagle22.)
05-02-2016 10:14 AM
Advertisement

bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(05-02-2016 08:49 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  

No, you heard correctly. He said they were working with the NCAA to reduce their scholarships over the next two years and would be immediately eligible for the post season.
05-02-2016 10:17 AM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
I don't think this is going to be an issue. We can be bowl-eligible this year, but even if we have to do a transition year in 2017 it won't matter because we're going to start cutting scholarships and go back to having the same depth problems that kept us out of a bowl last year.

Of course, with Chuck Staben at the helm he might keep us out of a bowl for spite. The last thing he wants is for Idaho to actually be a good FBS team the next two years. We're pretty much living in the movie Major League right now.
05-02-2016 10:30 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST

Help my memory...

Was it Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky that was Bowl Eligible but the Commish chose another team to represent the league in a bowl game because they were leaving for another conference.
05-02-2016 10:30 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-02-2016 10:30 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  

Help my memory...

Was it Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky that was Bowl Eligible but the Commish chose another team to represent the league in a bowl game because they were leaving for another conference.

Scenario:

WKU finished 8-4
AState Finished 7-5
ULL finished 8-4 and went to New Orleans.

WKU beat AState the weak earlier on a last second pass after a phantom penalty that our fans still don't agree with denied a turnover.

Only Mobile remains for SBC teams, with no other option really available, someone was sitting out with a good record. On the last 2 weeks of the season, ULL has a chance to win the outright title and give Mobile freedom to take who they want, by simply beating either ULM at home or winning at USA. Cajuns lost both games and dropped into a shared title situation with AState at 5-2 in league, while WKU finished 4-3.

Sun Belt By-Laws published on the league website indicate that in case of a shared title, both teams must be selected for bowls ahead of any other. Benson however decides that he feels that WKU should be placed in a bowl over Arkansas State, throws the By-Laws into a password protected file, and markets the Hilltoppers to Mobile. In a radio interview, he infers that the league by-laws are really just guidelines and the bowls are not bound to them at all. AState fans throw a fit and roundly abuse Benson on Twitter. Mobile chooses to follow the league by-laws and takes AState leaving WKU out in the cold

WKU fans throw a fit and abuse the Sun Belt all over the internet on their way to CUSA.
05-02-2016 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.