Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Capitalizing off of Paxton Lynch
Bookmark and Share
FreshTiger14 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Capitalizing off of Paxton Lynch
Quote:By Paxton Lynch moving on to bigger and better things, this is by no means a conclusion to Memphis' Paxton Lynch moment. His success at Memphis will be felt for years to come now that the program has been under a national spotlight. Like Tommy West talked about, the fans have to continue to rally around the program. We can't let this spotlight success fade away like it did after the DeAngelo Williams years.

http://bluffcitytigers.sportsblog.com/po...oment.html
04-29-2016 04:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
RE: Capitalizing off of Paxton Lynch
I thought we were headed in that direction when Danny Wimprine and DeAngelo were among the NCAA leaders in passing and rushing. I imagined top QBs and RBs would want to come to Memphis and play in that system. And then we couldn't find a QB.
04-29-2016 05:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-29-2016 05:49 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  I thought we were headed in that direction when Danny Wimprine and DeAngelo were among the NCAA leaders in passing and rushing. I imagined top QBs and RBs would want to come to Memphis and play in that system. And then we couldn't find a QB.

Tommy was looking for the door out and did not get an offer, after no offer he was not very good at recruiting(for whatever reason) For whatever reason, our current staff is killing it on the recruiting path! 04-cheers
04-29-2016 05:53 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Yep, Tommy really helped the cause when he sat a healthy DeAngelo against utk. Plus he played the weakest teams he could
04-29-2016 05:58 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2016 05:49 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  I thought we were headed in that direction when Danny Wimprine and DeAngelo were among the NCAA leaders in passing and rushing. I imagined top QBs and RBs would want to come to Memphis and play in that system. And then we couldn't find a QB.

Tommy was looking for the door out and did not get an offer, after no offer he was not very good at recruiting(for whatever reason) For whatever reason, our current staff is killing it on the recruiting path! 04-cheers
04-29-2016 06:11 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(04-29-2016 06:11 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Tommy's heart procedure killed his fire, he didn't seem to be into it after that moment. It did seem like after DeAngelo that he just stopped trying to recruit
04-29-2016 06:41 PM
Advertisement

wylioats Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

RC and Shirley is all that needs to be said.
04-30-2016 07:25 AM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
Cal sucked the life out of our football program. He had enablers, within the administration and with boosters, but he was ultimately responsible.
04-30-2016 10:40 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
Play good teams.

Beat them.

Simple formula.
04-30-2016 10:51 AM
Tiger5 Offline
Special Teams

(04-30-2016 10:40 AM)dcg141 Wrote:  Cal sucked the life out of our football program. He had enablers, within the administration and with boosters, but he was ultimately responsible.

BS

The state of the football program was due to inept athletic directors
04-30-2016 11:23 AM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

Tommy put together a fairly comprehensive plan that showed what he believed we needed to get to the next level, win conference championships, and compete for BCS bowls. It was by and large sat on for years with little to no action. Whether that was the administration or the boosters doing is debatable. That plan should have embarrassed both groups as it showed how far we were behind our CUSA peers in terms of facilities, staffing, budgets and other resources.

Tommy clearly knew what he was talking about in that plan because the majority of the things he asked for have been done since he left. We can't sit here and say that those things were responsible for the recent success but they sure as **** helped, big time. I can't imagine Fuente or Norvell taking the job without those very resources being in place or on the way.
04-30-2016 12:51 PM
Advertisement

memphisike Offline
Heisman

Tommy didnt play a healthy DeAngelo against utk in his senior yr. Trying to prove a point to DeAngelo, a win would have really given the program a boost. He fired Joe Lee, that was a stupid move. Tommy took over from Ripp who was playing any big time program who would play us, mich. mich.state,minn.mo. giving them good games. Tommy comes in and steals Ripp,s program and proceeds to lighten the schedule so he can say he went to worthless bowl games.
04-30-2016 03:32 PM
Phenyelthlene Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Lions
(04-30-2016 03:32 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Tommy didnt play a healthy DeAngelo against utk in his senior yr. Trying to prove a point to DeAngelo, a win would have really given the program a boost. He fired Joe Lee, that was a stupid move. Tommy took over from Ripp who was playing any big time program who would play us, mich. mich.state,minn.mo. giving them good games. Tommy comes in and steals Ripp,s program and proceeds to lighten the schedule so he can say he went to worthless bowl games.

I remember it different. Tommy made football fun till his heart deal.
04-30-2016 06:04 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I really liked Tommy, but he hi jacked a team that Ripp had put together, including Danny Wimprine and DeAngelo was in the pipeline. I'm a strong believer in playing top quality ooc teams and Ripp was doing that, Tommy played a lighter ooc schedule. A good source told me he turned down money games against Ohio state and Oklahoma.
04-30-2016 06:16 PM
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

I don't think everyone knows the real UT and DeAngelo story

D was the one who did not want to play the game

Then after the game started and we were in a position to win D wanted to get in and play

Tommy didn't put him in because he wasn't willing to play at the beginning

I was at the game and have been to every road game vs UT since the 90s

The UT game was NOT on Coach West

D should have been ready to play from down #1 and he wasn't
04-30-2016 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
(04-30-2016 09:29 PM)Pastner4Prez Wrote:  I don't think everyone knows the real UT and DeAngelo story

Then after the game started and we were in a position to win D wanted to get in and play

Well, Coach West sure showed him.
05-01-2016 07:59 AM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

(04-30-2016 10:40 AM)dcg141 Wrote:  Cal sucked the life out of our football program. He had enablers, within the administration and with boosters, but he was ultimately responsible.

Most off base post of the year.
05-01-2016 09:27 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(04-30-2016 09:29 PM)Pastner4Prez Wrote:  I don't think everyone knows the real UT and DeAngelo story

D had a sprained ankle....that Tommy felt might not have been too bad...but he did NOT hijack the progam.. If you want tosee an example of a program hijacker...look at Phil Fulmer at UT and Johnny Majors
05-01-2016 09:57 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(05-01-2016 09:27 AM)450bench Wrote:  

Most off base post of the year.

what he means...is that some of the money that could have beeninto football upgrades was going into basketball. Basketball was given preferential funding..as football was a money pit.
05-01-2016 09:59 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

(04-30-2016 06:16 PM)memphisike Wrote:  I really liked Tommy, but he hi jacked a team that Ripp had put together, including Danny Wimprine and DeAngelo was in the pipeline. I'm a strong believer in playing top quality ooc teams and Ripp was doing that, Tommy played a lighter ooc schedule. A good source told me he turned down money games against Ohio state and Oklahoma.

Rip had 6 years here.Tommy was here under him for what 1-2 years? Rip did not lose because of Tommy...RC wanted a soread offense and Rip agreed to install one too late.
05-01-2016 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.