OT: UMass Officials now calling for the Minutemen to Bail Out of FBS
http://footballscoop.com/news/and-now-um...ut-of-fbs/

"And now UMass faculty leaders are calling for the school to drop out of FBS
ByZach BarnettPosted on April 27, 2016
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
UMass
Credit: Boston Globe

Oh boy, here we go again.

Just a day after Eastern Michigan fought off rumors the school could drop from FBS to Division II, the UMass faculty senate plans to call for its school to do the same. As reported by MassLive, tomorrow’s meeting will include an effort to “urge Chancellor Subbaswamy, President Meehan, and the Board of Trustees of the University to end Division I football (Football Bowl Subdivision) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and either move to a different division or discontinue NCAA football altogether.”

The university’s Ad Hoc committee previously urged the Minutemen to drop out of major college football, an effort that (obviously) failed. In fact, this effort has been ongoing in some form or fashion for three-and-a-half years now.

Like Eastern Michigan, UMass has never truly caught on at the FBS level. The Minutemen are 8-40 since moving from FCS, bounced back and forth from the on-campus McGuirk Stadium and the cavernous, far-away Gillette Stadium and, unlike Eastern Michigan, do not have MAC membership on which to rely. UMass will play an independent schedule this fall — which, to be fair, includes Boston College and Mississippi State coming to Gillette Stadium. But independence is hard enough for an established program like BYU, much less a struggling start-up.

It’s highly doubtful a faculty senate request amounts to anything other than bad press, but expect a swift dismissal of this story from UMass brass shortly."
04-27-2016 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: OT: UMass Officials now calling for the Minutemen to Bail Out of FBS
meh...its faculty...carry on...
04-27-2016 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Good lord they're dropping like flies
04-27-2016 04:22 PM
panama Offline
Legend

Not really. Not first time UMass faculty pulls this.
04-27-2016 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Faculty suffer from the delusion that anyone gives a crap what they think about anything other than suggestions related to improving academic ratings of the school. If you want to attack football the faculty is the worst point of attack. You get the students opposed first then have the faculty jump on the bandwagon.
04-27-2016 04:27 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-27-2016 04:05 PM)panama Wrote:  meh...its faculty...carry on...

This...

A faculty senate vote is a lot like the UN voting on a resolution contemplating writing a strongly-worded letter demanding that some third world dictator begin treating political prisoners better.
04-27-2016 04:33 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-27-2016 04:33 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

This...

A faculty senate vote is a lot like the UN voting on a resolution contemplating writing a strongly-worded letter demanding that some third world dictator begin treating political prisoners better.

[Image: latest?cb=20141106214513]
04-27-2016 04:36 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
I agree students have more influence than faculty-with that said I've never really got umass and the decisions they've made; they never struck me as a viable FBS program, when they lucked out and got a home in the MAC they completely self sabotaged any stability they could've had. I get that they aspire for the AAC and good for them for setting high expectations, their rash decision to me is equivalent to that of a high school student enrolls in college with a part time on campus job that decides "eh...I'm going to quit this job and become self employed expecting bill gates to eventually reconigize how awesome I am."
04-27-2016 04:37 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I just saw UMass' schedule for the next 3 seasons. They wil be fine. In fact many may be monitoring how a G5 pulls off this Back to the Future stunt called independence.
04-27-2016 04:38 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
My problem with UMass is the same thing Idaho had one problem with. After moving up they have made no effort to get a local FBS stadium. Gillette is not a good place for them and the pro stadium is a hour and a half away. This is one thing Georgia State is addressing. You need a close stadium to play in that will align with the level you want to be.
04-27-2016 05:44 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
We have a home game in football with them this year. They were just raked dead last (128) by the Orlando Sentinel. Hopefully that and (Austin Peay) will be a couple easy Ws for Troy.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 06:39 PM by TroyFootball05.)
04-27-2016 06:39 PM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(04-27-2016 05:44 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  My problem with UMass is the same thing Idaho had one problem with. After moving up they have made no effort to get a local FBS stadium. Gillette is not a good place for them and the pro stadium is a hour and a half away. This is one thing Georgia State is addressing. You need a close stadium to play in that will align with the level you want to be.

I agree with that 16-17k won't cut it .
The dumb part is their not that far away WKU 22500 is the favorite in C-USA.
Nevada and Utah St are reducing capacity to 26 and 23k right now .
The average in the SBC for stadiums that schools paid for no GSU or USA has to be around mid twenties. That is when Coastal joins at twenty one thousand .
The MAC has an average capacity in the mid twenties all on campus paid for by the schools.U Mass could add an end zone horseshoe and equal WKU.
04-27-2016 06:50 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(04-27-2016 05:44 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  My problem with UMass is the same thing Idaho had one problem with. After moving up they have made no effort to get a local FBS stadium. Gillette is not a good place for them and the pro stadium is a hour and a half away. This is one thing Georgia State is addressing. You need a close stadium to play in that will align with the level you want to be.
wtf is this . Plans for expansion will probably not pickup speed, without a conference affiliation. The capacity is 17k.
[Image: 8293846.jpeg?1434142429]

These are a year old and just posters at this point, but heard there are 3 plans and estimated dollars being assessed.
[Image: IMG_3529.JPG]

[Image: IMG_3531.JPG]

What must of us want is a complete tear down of the stands on the right. Replaced as in the posters with all amenites you'd expect at a
FBS stadium.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 08:10 PM by Steve1981.)
04-27-2016 07:51 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
FWIW, even Rutgers faculty call for an end of football from time to time.
04-27-2016 08:10 PM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
Re: OT: UMass Officials now calling for the Minutemen to Bail Out of FBS
Someone on Reddit r/cfb said UMass will announce dropping down next week. I think it's pretty serious.
04-27-2016 08:44 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(04-27-2016 08:44 PM)southern edumacation Wrote:  Someone on Reddit r/cfb said UMass will announce dropping down next week. I think it's pretty serious.

LOL

Not happening.
04-28-2016 10:54 AM
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(04-28-2016 10:54 AM)panama Wrote:  
(04-27-2016 08:44 PM)southern edumacation Wrote:  Someone on Reddit r/cfb said UMass will announce dropping down next week. I think it's pretty serious.

LOL

Not happening.

Economics Teacher: [takes attendance] Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Simone: Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2016 11:29 AM by rokamortis.)
04-28-2016 11:29 AM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(04-28-2016 11:29 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  Economics Teacher: [takes attendance] Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Simone: Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

I'm glad somebody picked up on that.
04-28-2016 02:53 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES

Our faculty was not on board either when football was restarted. Who give to craps what temporary employees, many of which have no loyalty to the school once they leave, think.

I think only a slight majority were on board for the FBS move. This one English (of course) professor made a big deal out it. I had him and he was one of those type professors...Just regurgitate the crap I am spewing and you get an A.
04-28-2016 03:50 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
The few Senator Faculity members embarrassed themselves at today's meeting.
There was strong support from the Student Government representative, students, AD, Chancellor, etc. John Kennedy, who gave around 12 million for our new Basketball Practice facility was also in attendance.

Some quotes:

Quote:SGA President Anthony Vitale gets up to speak about football. Says he’s received hundreds of messages in support of team from students.

Quote:She also apologized to Matt Sparks/other players for senators making connection between football & sexual violence.Daniel Malone added,
Matt Vautour @MattVautourDHG
Dr. Rebecca Spencer, a senator is ripping colleagues for lack of knowledge on what they're speaking about

Quote:The motion against FBS football is defeated by a vote count of 26 to 14.

[Image: subbaswamy-letter-5a5f4a7ec740eb7f.png]
04-28-2016 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.